Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

vyst posted:

Detroit Become Human was the most real for me

This game has stuck with me in a way I'm not sure any other game has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Let's throw in Vice City and San Andreas, which I'm sure were already mentioned as maybe best of their generation for atmosphere.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Let's throw in Vice City and San Andreas, which I'm sure were already mentioned as maybe best of their generation for atmosphere.

The back of your neck looks like a pack of hot dogs

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Kazak posted:

The back of your neck looks like a pack of hot dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGz6U72uZHw

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:hmmyes:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just skip around anywhere in the vid, all the music, gunfights, and FMV clips are :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkWOAUILwk4

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

San Andreas made me start appreciating classic hip hop.

Also gently caress you if you never got as fat as possible and rode around on a bicycle in your underwear. (Bonus point for also wearing a German WW1 helmet.)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cruising down that main road in front of the beach with that 80s hip hop song that goes "Its like a jungle sometimes," its a video game image that will be stuck in my head forever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Destiny 2 is an endless succession of 70s sci fi paperback covers and its great

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rutibex posted:

i never said they weren't successful. but you can't deny they are both half baked 40k rip offs

Holy loving poo poo, the entire "Space Marine" genre was invented by a not so obscure science fiction writer way back in the 1950's, you illiterate clod. The book I'm referring too is so incredibly influential that it's on the reading lists at Colorado Springs, Coronado and loving West Point.

That's right, motherfuckers, most of our favorite video games were inspired by one man from Missouri.

Holy gently caress, this level of stupidity makes me ashamed to be a gamer. gently caress.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 12, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Protagonist posted:

Black Mesa is such a strange project for a load of reasons. It started with the ostensibly benign goal of just updating HL1 to modern standards, but it took so long and the team became talented enough it must have become clear at some point they were reinventing the wheel when they could have just been making their own, original thing.

Case in point, Power Up and On A Rail, adjacent levels, are radically different from each other in that one is almost a perfect 1-to-1 recreation while the other is a completely re-imagined, almost totally different section only reminiscent of the HL1 version. Now years later they only haven't finished the Xen section, which no one (except me) liked to begin with and if you put yourself in their shoes you must be wondering what was the point of it all, now that it's certain HL2:E3/HL3 has had less thought and effort put into it than this fan recreation/reboot

There's a conversation you can overhear in the beginning where they discuss the merits of original research vs refining the work of others.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Black Mesa sucks and is a terrible source port. No Ichtyosaur roar sound, worse AI (compare how the blast pit boss behaves, soldiers too), guns less satisfying, physics add nothing

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Tabula Rasa also had some cool looking areas/alien architecture (with the caveat of it being an MMO in 2007) but since it was so insanely short-lived finding any good screenshots of them is proving real difficult.

Richard Garriott's MMO abortion. It didn't last long because although the world architecture was fairly interesting, the combat and gameplay mechanics were extremely bad.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I remember being blown away the first time I noticed these in the Witness. Perspective tricks/hidden images which are usually also reminiscent of some puzzle mechanics.

Just a few but they really manage to illustrate that there is sooooo much more going on below the apparent surface of the game. It really helps conveying the feeling that the island is a character of its own.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Cubone posted:

just want to point out, Yoshi's Island is even prettier when it's on a CRT

When I read this first sentence I thought I was going to be subjected to the ramblings of a purist looking at poo poo with rose tinted glasses, telling us CRT is the only true way to experience video games mannnn!, but it was actually a really cool post with genuinely interesting info. Nice one

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Out of this world/Another World had such great aesthetic and atmosphere it still holds up today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clNnYh0vr9Y&t=63s

Dune still has one of the best OST of any game ever (and great atmosphere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rvo_dJZDj0

Abzu. Just watch this trailer, there's nothing more to add

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpvHqAsNVH0

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Cruising down that main road in front of the beach with that 80s hip hop song that goes "Its like a jungle sometimes," its a video game image that will be stuck in my head forever.

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

Holy loving poo poo, the entire "Space Marine" genre was invented by a not so obscure science fiction writer way back in the 1950's, you illiterate clod. The book I'm referring too is so incredibly influential that it's on the reading lists at Colorado Springs, Coronado and loving West Point.

That's right, motherfuckers, most of our favorite video games were inspired by one man from Missouri.

Holy gently caress, this level of stupidity makes me ashamed to be a gamer. gently caress.

lol did Heinlein specify that all space marines must paint their power armor blue?

blizzard ripped of Warhammer fantasy too. did Heinlein invent orcs?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

... did warhammer?

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
The Myst series, specifically Uru, has amazing atmosphere.

The game takes place after a modern-day expedition finds a massive, underground city and ends up having to abandon the recovery effort. As the player character you find all kinds of things from both the old civilization of D'ni and the 'D'ni Restoration Council''s abandoned equipment, notes and campsites throughout the game. While you explore a number of locations/ages in the game, the city of D'ni itself is one of my favorite locations in any video game. It feels so vast and ancient but lonely, doubly so with all of the abandoned gear left around. For a game released in 2003 I think the artwork and modeling work in the game really holds up well, the only thing that's really bad are the controls.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Idk I don't see a book title or author anywhere in this post so you're not helping fix the issue you take such umbrage with

I would be very curious in knowing which other higher ed places want me to read this book though that seems useful

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rutibex posted:

lol did Heinlein specify that all space marines must paint their power armor blue?

blizzard ripped of Warhammer fantasy too. did Heinlein invent orcs?

Yeah, the color of the armor is the issue here. Wow. I'm not sure how you'd even begin to argue how much influence Starship Troopers is in video games.

It's clear you have no idea what you are talking about. Yeah the Air Force Academy, Navy Special Warfare Training Center and West Point Military Academy must have Starship Troopers on their NCO reading list because it's just a dumb book.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Statutory Ape posted:

Idk I don't see a book title or author anywhere in this post so you're not helping fix the issue you take such umbrage with

I would be very curious in knowing which other higher ed places want me to read this book though that seems useful

There's more than enough information in my post for you to do a little research.

You've kind of proved my point.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

its Starship Troopers. i'm sure youve already seen the movie, which is much better than the lovely book

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
yes but who invented space pirates

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Bob Olson wrote a short story about "space marines" 7 years before Heinlein in Misfits, and 27 years before Starship troopers.

No one cares who was the first besides nerds

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 12, 2019

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Rutibex posted:

its Starship Troopers. i'm sure youve already seen the movie, which is much better than the lovely book

What the gently caress? The book and the movie are totally different.

The main character is Filipino in the book, a little detail which Heinlein leaves the reader to find near the end of the loving story. The story is about an infantry soldiers journey toward citizenship, love for his fellow man and his country. These are all themes that make the book required reading in all branches of the US Military.

But of course, someone calling the book lovely, either hasn't read it or doesn't understand that the book isn't about boom boom kill kill.

It's a safe bet that Norman Schwarzkopf read the book before kicking the poo poo out of Saddam Hussein.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 12, 2019

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Bob Olson wrote a short story about "space marines" 7 years before Heinlein in Misfits, and 27 years before Starship troopers.

No one cares who was the first besides nerds

Yeah, I saw that on Wikipedia, too, but if you watch the credits for Starcraft and Warhammer, the developers thank Robert Heinlein personally.

Who's on first is not what this is about, my tirade began because nerds were arguing about which came first, Starcraft or Warhammer. Heinlein is literally the inspiration for both, and Doom, and Halo, just to name a few.

Holy poo poo, every single game that has a space dropping ground pounding soldier is directly lifted verbatim from Starship Troopers. How many games have that feature, again? By way, that's a real deployment method being researched by DARPA.

It's important to give credit where credit is due, that's all.

The larger argument is that if we want video games to be regarded as art, it's important to understand the literature that inspires them.

I worked at a development studio a long time ago, and I can assure you that games are not created in a vacuum. There are tons of books everywhere that developers and artists can draw inspiration from. It's important to have a broad collection of literature to draw from when developing a game.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 12, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I saw that on Wikipedia, too, but if you watch the credits for Starcraft and Warhammer, the developers thank Robert Heinlein personally.

Who's on first is not what this is about, my tirade began because nerds were arguing about which came first, Starcraft or Warhammer. Heinlein is literally the inspiration for both, and Doom, and Halo, just to name a few.

It's important to give credit where credit is due, that's all.

The larger argument is that if we want video games to be regarded as art, it's important to understand the literature that inspires them.

I worked at a development studio a long time ago, and I can assure you that games are not created in a vacuum. There are tons of books everywhere that developers and artists can draw inspiration from. It's important to have a broad collection of literature to draw from when developing a game.

yeah, i'm sure the guys who flat out admit to ripping off warhammer fantasy never even heard of warhammer 40k and only drew the purist inspirations from Heinlians immortal words:
https://kotaku.com/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-5929161

quote:

"[Blizzard co-founder] Allen Adham hoped to obtain a license to the Warhammer universe to try to increase sales by brand recognition", Wyatt says. "Warhammer was a huge inspiration for the art-style of Warcraft, but a combination of factors, including a lack of traction on business terms and a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal. We had already had terrible experiences working with DC Comics on "Death and Return of Superman" and "Justice League Task Force", and wanted no similar issues for our new game."

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Destiny 2 is an endless succession of 70s sci fi paperback covers and its great

Quoting myself for more of those vibes

Jenny Agutter posted:

Pulling screenshots off the PS4 version because I'll probably never play it again after next week.

Two views of the same place

Sci-fi paperback cover vibes

No man's sky

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

The Panzer Dragoon series. Especially Zwei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpU4fw-u1U

A demo of this level was playing in an electronics store when I was a kid and it made me blow a whole bunch of summer job money on a sega saturn. Which, uh, whooops. Oh well, at least this and Nights was good.

Anyway I love the art direction in the game, extremely Moebius/Nausicaa inspired. Also love how gigantic the bosses in the levels are as well. The soundtracks for the first two games are the best. The soundtrack in Orta is ok, but I just really like that spooky 80s synth sound the saturn games had. I really hope the remake of the first game that's coming out soon is good and does well so I can get a remake of Zwei as well. The series just had a really spooky mysterious atmosphere that stuck with me. I love stories so far off in the future that the apocalypse already happened and is like a distant forgotten memory.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

What the gently caress? The book and the movie are totally different.

The main character is Filipino in the book, a little detail which Heinlein leaves the reader to find near the end of the loving story. The story is about an infantry soldiers journey toward citizenship, love for his fellow man and his country. These are all themes that make the book required reading in all branches of the US Military.

But of course, someone calling the book lovely, either hasn't read it or doesn't understand that the book isn't about boom boom kill kill.

It's a safe bet that Norman Schwarzkopf read the book before kicking the poo poo out of Saddam Hussein.

Yes the book is an unironic celebration of facism and military culture that's why it's loving dumb and they make the dummies in the military read it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

Yes the book is an unironic celebration of facism and military culture that's why it's loving dumb and they make the dummies in the military read it.

It's kind of pathetic that you are parroting someone else's opinion of the book instead of reading it yourself. Ah well, the old adage of leading a horse to water comes to mind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 16, 2019

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Rutibex posted:

yeah, i'm sure the guys who flat out admit to ripping off warhammer fantasy never even heard of warhammer 40k and only drew the purist inspirations from Heinlians immortal words:
https://kotaku.com/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-5929161

Warhammer was inspired by StarShip Troopers, written in 1959.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

You're a loving idiot. How do you reconcile what I just quoted with the fact that another book of his was basically the hippie bible in the 1960s. He never wrote anything unironically, and if you can't see that you're exactly the kind of person he wrote books to piss off. Congratulations.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Those "Dummies in the Military" are the only reason you are alive to post, you ungrateful poo poo.

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? etc.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
pull up, thread

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Groke posted:

San Andreas made me start appreciating classic hip hop.

Also gently caress you if you never got as fat as possible and rode around on a bicycle in your underwear. (Bonus point for also wearing a German WW1 helmet.)

You had to do a treadmill in game to lose weight, which seemed weird even back then but hindsight it makes a lot of sense, they never intended for you to play as anything but max fatness, so that grind was there to discourage you from playing it wrong.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Skratte posted:

The Panzer Dragoon series. Especially Zwei.

Panzer Dragoon Saga was the one that had me mod-chip a Saturn for, they were like thousands for a copy at the time. They invented a language for the game I believe (though they only used it in parts and defaulted to Japanese for other parts).

More than any other game, it needs to make a transition to VR so we can ride a dragon while firing artifact machine guns from them. Those arcades in Japan where they do VR Mario Kart could make one with a force-feedback saddle and a high-powered fan blowing at you.

Alas the visionary for the games died after Panzer Dragoon Orta, I believe.

edit: says the creator is still at it, so I have no idea where I read that lol

edit 2: it says two staff members died during the making of Panzer Dragoon Saga, so that must have been what I read in a magazine at the time

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I enjoyed the look of XIII, even though the game forced you to restart the level any time you died.

Thief Gold and Thief 2, the Metal Age are still charming to this day.