Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

Yeah, English writing was still in 1997 Special Editions; I don't think it was replaced until the 2004 DVD release. I think it was something conceived of for the prequels.

Return of the Jedi, actually

Which was then properly codified by West End Games and integrated into the larger Star Wars universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
JJ is Vince Russo; constantly making questionable booking decisions.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I guess that means George Lucas is Vince McMahon

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bogus Adventure posted:

I guess that means George Lucas is Vince McMahon

George micromamanaging everything from the shadows while eating ketchup and steak wraps, and firing anyone who dares to sneeze in his presence.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gonz posted:

George micromamanaging everything from the shadows while eating ketchup and steak wraps, and firing anyone who dares to sneeze in his presence.

"His name is Darth Icky."

"Sir, I don't know if that's a great idea."

"Oh, really? Well, guess what... YOOOOOOOUUUUUU'RRRREEEE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRED!!!"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vinylshadow posted:

...It's literally been around since 1977 though?

come on the symbols even have their english sounds right in their name

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerk McJerkface posted:

come on the symbols even have their english sounds right in their name

Kylo Ren is a creshreshyirtbeshaurekbeshyirt and Rey is a mernaurekreshyirt senthuskesk

Silly me, how could I forget

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

Kylo Ren is a creshreshyirtbeshaurekbeshyirt and Rey is a mernaurekreshyirt senthuskesk

Silly me, how could I forget

lmao

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Dae in the star wars thread just HATE STAR WARS like me?????

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

"His name is Darth Icky."

"Sir, I don't know if that's a great idea."

"Oh, really? Well, guess what... YOOOOOOOUUUUUU'RRRREEEE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRED!!!"

The Darth Icky story kills me because I feel like the people telling the story have no awareness that theyre getting dunked on.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

The Darth Icky story kills me because I feel like the people telling the story have no awareness that theyre getting dunked on.

Well, they DID think that The Force Unleashed was good.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm going to regret asking this but can Aurebutt be translated into english? Probably it's just like a character map between english letters since I don't imagine even Star Wars fans came up with an entire new language.

While Aurebesh is just a 1:1 mapping of the Latin alphabet, none of the text in the movies which use similar script actually uses that alphabet (until the 2004 editions which replaced a "POWER" sign on the Death Star with the same but written in Aurebesh). It was originally invented by West End Games for their RPG and based on the stuff seen in RotJ (similar symbols are also seen in ESB in various instances, and also the Holiday Special :v: ). The prequels use a multitude of scripts, and the symbols that look like Aurebesh actually seem to be same as the script in RotJ and don't spell anything.
Of course, I think the Disney movies actually use the RPG alphabet liberally, which means that either the previous instances or these new ones, must consist of complete gibberish. :thunk:
Like the dudes inspecting the shuttle in RotJ reading "flbabbv ekljsdf bmlg afn lkk" on their screens and are all "uhhh yeah... looks like... an older code? maybe?".

Also you are wrong about Star Wars fans, check out "Mando'a". It's no better than Aurebesh tho; it's babby's first conlang, ie. more or less a 1:1 word replacement for English.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mooey Cow posted:

Also you are wrong about Star Wars fans, check out "Mando'a". It's no better than Aurebesh tho; it's babby's first conlang, ie. more or less a 1:1 word replacement for English.

Thanks, but no I'm fine.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Palpatine as Undertaker fits quite well.

Palpatine as the Greater Power?

"Its me Rey! It was me, allll along!"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I guess Han Solo is Steve Austin, with Harrison Ford being the Stone Cold version and Alden Ehrenreich being the Stunning version.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Who would Randy Savage represent? Chewbacca?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

sigher posted:

Who would Randy Savage represent? Chewbacca?

I think Randy is Finn, since Finn's whole drive seems to be about Rey (his "Miss Elizabeth," even if Rey is more of a Randy Orton Triple H---I should stay consistent) and he's the comic relief.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 11, 2019

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think Randy is Finn, since Finn's whole drive seems to be about Rey (his "Miss Elizabeth," even if Rey is more of a Randy Orton Triple H---I should stay consistent) and he's the comic relief.

"You've got two jobs: keeping Finn from fighting Phasma and keeping him from pining after Rey. You will fail at one of these jobs."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

"You've got two jobs: keeping Finn from fighting Phasma and keeping him from pining after Rey. You will fail at one of these jobs."

I appreciate this reference.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Cameo posted:

lmao

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER's Runtime Possible Revealed Along With Some Potential SPOILERS

quote:

"Jon's started up with another Star Wars," he explains in the video below. "We started our last week. He's got a 135 minutes worth of music to write. Okay, so that kind of tells you how long the film is [laughs]. It is top to bottom music. We've done four days. We just scratched the surface. I think we've got something like 34 minutes in the can at this point."

quote:

"I can tell you that every theme that you ever heard is going to be compiled into this last effort. Every one. Leia. Yoda. The Phantom. Darth. All of it. It's going to be in there. And in his usual style, he hides them. You gotta go look for them. You'll find them, but you gotta go look for them."

"You'll be sitting there watching the film go by. 'Oop, there is it. There's two bars of it.' And it grabs you. It takes you away,"

I remember how he "hid" the Emperor's Theme in Augie's Great Municipal Band from Phantom Menace, so more stuff like that would be cool.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully the score just extensively quotes Augie's Great Municipal Band, because I love the song and Disney are all bubblegum fascists so it fits

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I hope it's 135 minutes of the music from Dex's diner. Maybe a Star Wars-y version of "The Long Goodbye" at the end.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Maybe they'll include the Victory Celebration piece added to ROTJ's Special Edition. I didn't like it at first because I was expecting the OG Ewok theme when I first saw the movie, but it grew on me. I like the eventual tapering from simple percussion and woodwinds to the orchestra in the end, and it kind of feels like a unifying theme encompassing all of the worlds that are now free of the Emperor's grasp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II04E2GEJG8

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pan down from SPACE to JAKKOOINE

POE DAMERON: GOO! NEE! TAY!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

All yub nub all the time

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
135 minutes of the cantina theme

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

General Dog posted:

Maybe a Star Wars-y version of "The Long Goodbye" at the end.
This was already in The Last Jedi.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER's Runtime Possible Revealed Along With Some Potential SPOILERS

I remember how he "hid" the Emperor's Theme in Augie's Great Municipal Band from Phantom Menace, so more stuff like that would be cool.

STAR WARS

Episode IX

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Bring it in guys! The Resistance and
First Order alike prepare for a HUGE PARTY,
as GameMasterAnthony's 44th birthday approaches[...]

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

General Dog posted:

STAR WARS

Episode IX

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Bring it in guys! The Resistance and
First Order alike prepare for a HUGE PARTY,
as GameMasterAnthony's 44th birthday approaches[...]

Okay, that would get me to watch the movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm sorry to bring anime into the Star Wars thread, but I just saw Evangelion for the first time recently, and it has a scene remarkably similar to Rey's cave scene in TLJ, with a character named Rei. I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this observation.

She's a clone by the way.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

General Dog posted:

I'm sorry to bring anime into the Star Wars thread, but I just saw Evangelion for the first time recently, and it has a scene remarkably similar to Rey's cave scene in TLJ, with a character named Rei. I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this observation.

Neil Breens Rebuild of Evangelion

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

Turns out Rey is a clone of the male lead's mom, which I guess would make her Leia.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

General Dog posted:

Yeah, I also watched Evangelion recently and thought of the same thing. I don’t think they’re gonna make Rey a clone but it would be an extremely funny ripoff if they did. Finding vats full of unused Rey clones in the Death Star ruins would be a pretty cool reveal though.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Calling it now—Rey is a clone made by dark side sorcery for the purpose of hosting Palpatine's ghost, but Luke hid her away long ago so Snoke (Palpatine's imperfect host) wouldn't find her.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

If Palpatine is revealed to have suffered from gender dysphoria the internet would melt.

I'm all for Rey being a custom engineered vessel for Sheev's ghost.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
go one step further
rey is female palpatine, like boba is young jango

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I like the idea that Rey is a promising Jedi who just keeps dying, but some government program keeps cloning her.
Almost everyone she encounters (Han, Leia, Kylo, BB8) knows this and have met two or three other iterations of her; they're just tired of explaining the whole thing over and over and figure it's not worth breaking it to her again.

This is why Luke is so non-plussed when she shoes up. He's already "trained" her several times.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

One of those red Nero Decree Palpatine bots just keeps dropping off little bundles of joy to the Jakku junk man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

go one step further
rey is female palpatine, like boba is young jango

*Han Solo voice* That's not how genetics work!