Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

Future Foundation #1: She knows Gravity and Spider-Girl, and Onslaught Unleashed provides a potential explanation for her being in a private prison in space I suppose? We'll see, but for what it's worth the wiki has it as Rikki so it may have been confirmed somewhere, or they're assuming: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Future_Foundation_Vol_1_1

But the thing is that she specifically reacts to Avengers Academy, I was kind of thrown off by her reacting to that but apparently she was still alive when it started up, so I guess that explains the response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The book is out there's no need to keep using spoiler tags. It's all speculation on who Rebecca is. And my speculation is that I doubt Whitley would be playing coy on Twitter and feeding into the mystery of who it is if it was a character who we literally just saw in a book a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's Rikki Barnes.

She's also someone that was created by Franklin Richards so that really fits into the whole Future Foundation a lot better than Death Locket.

X-O fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 9, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The whole blow-off of "I've known plenty of Avengers" versus being excited by Avengers Academy, coupled with "what's something unique to this one" really suggests multiverse travel, and there are technically (at least) two Rikki Barnes floating around the multiverse; the original one from Heroes Reborn (last seen in an issue of Exiles) and the second Rikki Barnes from the second identical "Heroes Reborn" type pocket universe created by Franklin Richards that was where the Loeb/Liefeld Onslaught Reborn mini-series took place.

That Rikki Barnes crossed over to the main universe, formed the Young Allies briefly, and was last seen in Avengers Academy #12, where she was mostly in group shots at the Academy's prom. So that would make the most sense by far.

The only other existing Rebecca that would even begin to work as a twist is Rebecca Rodriguez, who was the protagonist of the short-lived Weirdworld series from a few years back, who was a normal girl from Earth trapped on Weirdworld, which seems to connect across the multiverse. But a lot more backstory would have to be laid down for that to work.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked Rikki so hope she comes back. She got a terrible send off from what I can remember.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I completely forgot about Young Allies. Arana was on that team too so when Julie mentioned her that's probably what did it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 9, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

The only other existing Rebecca that would even begin to work as a twist is Rebecca Rodriguez, who was the protagonist of the short-lived Weirdworld series from a few years back, who was a normal girl from Earth trapped on Weirdworld, which seems to connect across the multiverse. But a lot more backstory would have to be laid down for that to work.

RIP Weirdworld, too good for this horrible earth

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Yeah I completely forgot about Young Allies. Arana was on that team too so when Julie mentioned her that's probably what did it.

I remember enjoying Young Allies, but I was kind of a sucker for Rikki. Her solo mini was also good and I'm not shocked to find out Sean McKeever was behind it, which is further proof he must have been under some brutal editorial edicts at DC.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

TwoPair posted:

:agreed:

Wait, is that actually a thing? I only knew the "he comes in slices" thing from a caption in... I think Al Ewing's New Avengers(?), which I thought was just a joke referring to how Molecule Man sliced him up.

Yep, that's actually a thing. There are scenes in the Ultimates (post SW) and...I want to say New Avengers...where The Maker explains it, and how if he needs something that hasn't been invented in a dimension or on that earth, he just reaches out to an alternate universe slice of himself to get what he needs.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I re-read my Nomad comics less than a week ago. The baby he carried around, he called Bucky, that was short for Rebecca. Google tells me Rikki=Rebecca, where should I start reading?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If it's Rikki Barnes then she first appears in the Heroes Reborn alternate universe created by Franklin Richards. The baby adopted by Nomad was a different girl.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Martinpale posted:

Yep, that's actually a thing. There are scenes in the Ultimates (post SW) and...I want to say New Avengers...where The Maker explains it, and how if he needs something that hasn't been invented in a dimension or on that earth, he just reaches out to an alternate universe slice of himself to get what he needs.

huh, seems broken, pls nerf

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

huh, seems broken, pls nerf

616 Reed Richards would just build the drat thing himself without needing any outside help.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Black Cat #2 went back for a second printing, and the cover is very cool:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Exorcist! Wonderful!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
way to go vulpes

https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/232700-Exclusive-Julys-Top-100-Best-Selling-Comics

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yelled across the room to my wife (who does not read comics): "We beat Immortal Hulk! Which is a much better book!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Black Cat is a good book, but the art...woof.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Actually, Travel Foreman is kinda real good. Sorry it's not your cup of tea.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Foreman is great, it's a good fit for the book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Foreman is a great artist, but some of those pages look rushed as gently caress. Could be the inker or colorist messing things up, but I’m not the first one to bring it up.

His art on Ewing’s Ultimates was A1.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's the coloring for me, particularly on Black Cat's suit that I find really off putting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Yelled across the room to my wife (who does not read comics): "We beat Immortal Hulk! Which is a much better book!"

You’re a monster!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Immortal Hulk cancelled because of Black Cat. You heard it here first.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Bless you and curse you Vulpes. Your story is fun and I honestly don't know how much more Hulk my heart could handle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm legitimately impressed that Black Cat is a top 10 book. Not that I think it's bad (quite the opposite!) just that it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would have wide appeal. (Which is a nice way of saying female-led comics don't tend to sell well.) Anyway, awesome, VV!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

VV knows what I like in a comic, and that's Bats the Ghost Basset Hound.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Immortal Hulk cancelled because of Black Cat. You heard it here first.

im going to punch you

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

VV knows what I like in a comic, and that's Bats the Ghost Basset Hound.

The snakes are real good too

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

I'm legitimately impressed that Black Cat is a top 10 book. Not that I think it's bad (quite the opposite!) just that it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would have wide appeal. (Which is a nice way of saying female-led comics don't tend to sell well.) Anyway, awesome, VV!

It’s not just a top 10 book.

June 2019 sales

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the boobs on the cover were very enticing i guess

e: actually speaking of immortal hulk, it had a drop of 30,000 between issues 20 and 21 last month. weird

site fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 12, 2019

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Everyone list your favorite thing about Black Cat!

Mine is that the wizard is called a "Merlin". It cracks me up every time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

June 2019 sales

That’s loving awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

June 2019 sales

I know, but we're talking about #2, which is not the #1 selling comic.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pretty much all I see on Reddit about Black Cat is that people wish the interiors looked more like the covers. Which I'm assuming means they want to see more cleavage. If you want interior art that looks as good as the cover art, read Monstress and deal with frequent 6-month waiting periods between arcs.
I am absolutely loving BC so far, and I'm not just blowing smoke, but there's no way I'd have even given it a chance if not for MacKay at the helm. I don't even read Spider-man, let alone books about his villains. Love the flashbacks, too. If you did an arc that was all "secret origin" poo poo I'd approve.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

omnibobb posted:

Not even joking, this is going to be the derisive name for mages in my werewolf game.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Soonmot posted:

Not even joking, this is going to be the derisive name for mages in my werewolf game.

It's like you people don't read urban fantasy

Derisive nicknames for wizards is like half the point

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Between House of X, Immortal Hulk, and Black Cat, last week was just a really strong week for Marvel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As much as I complain about specifics, I don't think there's been a week where there just straight up hasn't been at least a 2-3 solid books every week in quite a while

Granted they put out like ten books a week so a couple per may not be what some consider great, but :shrug:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

As much as I complain about specifics, I don't think there's been a week where there just straight up hasn't been at least a 2-3 solid books every week in quite a while

Granted they put out like ten books a week so a couple per may not be what some consider great, but :shrug:

True. It just feels like those titles have been notably good. I almost included Zdarsky's Daredevil as well. Only comic in my pull that disappointed me was Future Foundation, which was far from bad, but didn't immediately hook me like Unstoppable Wasp did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

omnibobb posted:

Batts and also her crew just rolling with her sudden alias adoption. I'm of a mixed mind about the art, the stuff that works really works but there are panels here and there that just aren't as strong for me. That said, some of her facial expressions are solid goddamn gold.