Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m getting this bug on my Xs (iOS 12.4) where the threads in the Bookmarks tab aren’t tappable anymore. I can still scroll in there, but tapping on a thread does nothing. Only way to fix this is by force closing the app and restarting. I want to say I’m also able to force touch the thread and it’ll pop open and then they’re all tappable again but I can’t confirm this atm cause I don’t have the phone with me. I tried reproducing it but haven’t been able to do it so it just comes and goes. Sorry I don’t have more info :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m getting this bug on my Xs (iOS 12.4) where the threads in the Bookmarks tab aren’t tappable anymore. I can still scroll in there, but tapping on a thread does nothing. Only way to fix this is by force closing the app and restarting. I want to say I’m also able to force touch the thread and it’ll pop open and then they’re all tappable again but I can’t confirm this atm cause I don’t have the phone with me. I tried reproducing it but haven’t been able to do it so it just comes and goes. Sorry I don’t have more info :(

Same here. You can get out of it by swiping on the thread title as though you were going to delete it from bookmarks. This will make it tappable again.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

More of a question than a bug or request: how can I reliably swipe from the bookmarks page to the thread i was just reading? it takes me about 15-20 attempts on average to do that rather than reveal the Delete Thread button behind whatever row I’m swiping on

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jesus WEP posted:

More of a question than a bug or request: how can I reliably swipe from the bookmarks page to the thread i was just reading? it takes me about 15-20 attempts on average to do that rather than reveal the Delete Thread button behind whatever row I’m swiping on

I swipe the header, and that seems to work reliably (though not if I'm using it in app-over-app mode on my iPad, perhaps obviously).

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 10, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Grace Baiting posted:

The behavior of the top bar has changed in one of the recent(ish?) updates.

The Nice Days: start showing whenever you're scrolling upwards, start hiding whenever you're scrolling downwards, and iirc would remain only partially visible when you stopped scrolling while it was transitioning; also it was always visible if you scrolled above the top of the earliest rendered post.

Now: the top bar is forced fully-hidden or fully-visible as soon as you stop scrolling; when you start scrolling from stopped and not touching the screen, the key scroll location is then fixed: top bar becomes visible only if you scroll above that location, and hides only if you scroll below that location.

So if you've got only a single short-ish post that was unread, and you start trying to scroll upwards, you need to stop scrolling entirely, let go of the screen until all scrolling momentum has dissipated, and then scroll up a bit (and you might need to scroll downwards and then stop just a little before all this too).

Or maybe when you open a thread, the top bar's key location is set to some negative value above the thread view which you can't reach? So you need to scroll just a little downwards and then stop entirely to reset the key location to something that can actually be reached, and only then you can scroll up to reveal the top bar.

I liked the old behavior overall better although I assume (or maybe vaguely remember?) that there was some kind of problem that cropped up with it. Probably after an iOS update that changed internal behavior!

Sounds good, thanks! I think I've usually seen it with what feel like relatively heavyweight webpage links, so things like Twitter and YouTube. I'll try to note down which webpage next triggers it for me as well.

Yeah I did a number on it when fiddling with the posts page view hierarchy and I haven't quite got it right. Appreciate the thorough explanation, it makes total sense! I've got it on my list.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ah yeah, this one's a weird one and it's been around for awhile too. No worries about the info, appreciate it and the more reports the more likely I am to (be able to) fix it!

jesus WEP posted:

Honestly the whole "pop-forward" thing we do to navigation controllers is incredibly hacky and I'm amazed it works at all :D as mentioned sometimes it works better on the navigation bar at the top, otherwise I'm not sure what else to do.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Went ahead and delivered the "Bright Light" theme to match OLED dark's element sizes with a light theme, so flipping between the two won't have any jumping around.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

:toot:

Beta coming soon!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Honestly the whole "pop-forward" thing we do to navigation controllers is incredibly hacky and I'm amazed it works at all :D as mentioned sometimes it works better on the navigation bar at the top, otherwise I'm not sure what else to do.

Put a > in the top right when there's something to move "forward but again" to?

carry on then posted:

Went ahead and delivered the "Bright Light" theme to match OLED dark's element sizes with a light theme, so flipping between the two won't have any jumping around.

kissing noises

Looking forward to that build, hoo boy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok so I’m sure that nothing can be done about this but I have to ask. Is there any drat way to make these less blinding??

Reading at night kills me when I scroll through things like poo poo.

Will iOS 13 fix this? (Probably not).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Not even smart invert will save you from that one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

Not even smart invert will save you from that one

Yeah I didn’t think there was a way it’s just a minor issue in a few threads honestly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can we get the image buffer for those somehow? Maybe WebGL tricks?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If you thought the trump thread made phones run hot before, well...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

We could apply a CSS filter to dim images—in this example I’m dimming all images in the post body that aren’t emoticons, and toggling full brightness for an individual image on tap. Maybe this could work somehow.

Do we have a way of detecting the theme from RenderView.js yet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

We could apply a CSS filter to dim images—in this example I’m dimming all images in the post body that aren’t emoticons, and toggling full brightness for an individual image on tap. Maybe this could work somehow.

Do we have a way of detecting the theme from RenderView.js yet?

Oh yeah that looks a lot better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We could pref it for maximum brightness and use some image math on it to just cap V in a shader or something. Dimming all images seems like not what we want, at least without a per-image override. (Which, hmm, could just be the ImageView itself, hmm hmm.)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Subjunctive posted:

We could pref it for maximum brightness and use some image math on it to just cap V in a shader or something. Dimming all images seems like not what we want, at least without a per-image override. (Which, hmm, could just be the ImageView itself, hmm hmm.)

You can go ahead and implement yours and I’ll implement mine I guess

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

You can go ahead and implement yours and I’ll implement mine I guess

If it’s not applied to the image view I think it might work fine, but would make dim stuff hard to see on the page. Only one way to find out, I guess!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Coming off of the shading bright images discussion, would it be possible to have spoilers in a grey or other dark color instead of white in the dark modes?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The new themed light mode looks great. I noticed it's called Bright Light in menu which is still sort of confusing. We now have:

Classic
Classic Dark
Alternate
Alternate Dark
Bright Light
OLED Dark

It's sort of an excessive set of options IMO. Wouldn't it makes sense to phase out the old alternate ones and relabel the two new ones Light / Dark and make them the default? They seem better in every way to me. Placing these as default would let people know there's that option straight away without looking at the change notes and they could go find the legacy theme if they prefer them.

We should also destroy the current default app icon cause it looks ugly as gently caress compared to the others.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

spanky the dolphin posted:

The new themed light mode looks great. I noticed it's called Bright Light in menu which is still sort of confusing. We now have:

Classic
Classic Dark
Alternate
Alternate Dark
Bright Light
OLED Dark

It's sort of an excessive set of options IMO. Wouldn't it makes sense to phase out the old alternate ones and relabel the two new ones Light / Dark and make them the default? They seem better in every way to me. Placing these as default would let people know there's that option straight away without looking at the change notes and they could go find the legacy theme if they prefer them.

We should also destroy the current default app icon cause it looks ugly as gently caress compared to the others.

I agree with all of this, except that Frog Icon should be the only icon because it's objectively best.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

I agree with all of this, except that Frog Icon should be the only icon because it's objectively best.

The frog was good but with all the alt right Pepe poo poo we’re better off without it for a while.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

:ghost:ghost:ghost:gang:ghost:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised the Nazi frog icon is still in there.

I know it's not *that* frog, but it looks a lot like him.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

It doesn't look anything like that frog. Next you're going to let 4chan ruin horses or pandas or some poo poo.

I forgot about ghost icon though, that one is good.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

It's a different frog, don't let the Nazis take all the frogs.

Speaking of which, I've made slight tweaks to the frog, :v: light and :v: dark app icons. Minor :spergin' things that have bugged me for a while. If they could be lumped into the next beta that'd be ace.

Link.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Classic
Classic Dark
Alternate
Alternate Dark
Bright Light
OLED Dark

Agree with this.

Only issue is that in the new "bright" theme, it's hard to tell the difference between read/unread posts. Not sure if the background is the same or just so similar that my eyes can't distinguish them.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Agree with this.

Only issue is that in the new "bright" theme, it's hard to tell the difference between read/unread posts. Not sure if the background is the same or just so similar that my eyes can't distinguish them.

Yeah it does look like the opacity of that gradient needs to be pumped up.

There's also still the weird issue where threads without many new posts display as mixes of different themes. This screen grab is meant to be the Bright Light theme:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If I tap on someones name in a thread, the icons in the pop up aren’t vertically centred, instead they are jammed against the top. The share icon pop up also seems to be suffering from something like this, but that pop up has a title text that makes it less noticeable.

Not a bug, just a nit pick. :)

Oh yeah, classic theme.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just wanted to add a belated thanks for zoom, that’s the best update 🥂

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hi pokeyman, good news is that the duplicate-thread-in-bookmarks issue never reappeared.
Bad news is that the leper's colon display has had a scrolling issue for a while (and I've just been too lazy to report it).

If I scroll down about fifty lepers or so, reaching the bottom of the preloaded items, it seems to load two more screens' worth of lepers and jumps to the top of the second lot. So to see the second lot, I have to scroll back up 50 items or so.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Warbird posted:

Coming off of the shading bright images discussion, would it be possible to have spoilers in a grey or other dark color instead of white in the dark modes?

That’s a good idea. When I venture into certain CD threads it’s searing.

Classic
Classic Dark
Alternate
Alternate Dark
Bright Light
OLED Dark

Theme idea makes sense to me, except the part about the default. In general I like how Awful doesn’t often randomly change poo poo around for no reason, in contrast to too many apps. I’m not saying no but I wanna think about it.

Same idea for the app icon really, changing the default doesn’t seem super helpful to me.

withak posted:

I'm surprised the Nazi frog icon is still in there.

I know it's not *that* frog, but it looks a lot like him.

Me too. Any given reviewer could decide to flag it. And I don’t feel comfortable offering up the actual explanation to a stranger.

It's a different frog, don't let the Nazis take all the frogs.

Speaking of which, I've made slight tweaks to the frog, :v: light and :v: dark app icons. Minor :spergin' things that have bugged me for a while. If they could be lumped into the next beta that'd be ace.

Link.

Can do! Also if you ever get tired of waiting for me to get around to updating stuff like this, I can show you where to do it in the repo.

EoRaptor posted:

If I tap on someones name in a thread, the icons in the pop up aren’t vertically centred, instead they are jammed against the top. The share icon pop up also seems to be suffering from something like this, but that pop up has a title text that makes it less noticeable.

Not a bug, just a nit pick. :)

Oh yeah, classic theme.

Nits are worth picking! I’ll add it to the list.

Weatherman posted:

Hi pokeyman, good news is that the duplicate-thread-in-bookmarks issue never reappeared.
Bad news is that the leper's colon display has had a scrolling issue for a while (and I've just been too lazy to report it).

If I scroll down about fifty lepers or so, reaching the bottom of the preloaded items, it seems to load two more screens' worth of lepers and jumps to the top of the second lot. So to see the second lot, I have to scroll back up 50 items or so.

Yeah you’re not alone on that one. I’ll take a look!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Testing something, please ignore

Referee fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 23, 2019

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

pokeyman posted:

Yeah you’re not alone on that one. I’ll take a look!

Thanks a lot! Much appreciation for the work you put into this app.

Also just to clarify my stupid wording for preciseness's sake:

quote:

If I scroll down about fifty lepers or so, reaching the bottom of the preloaded items, it seems to load two more screens' worth of lepers and jumps down to the top of the second newly-loaded lot. So to see the first newly-loaded lot, I have to scroll back up 50 items or so.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Weatherman posted:

Also just to clarify my stupid wording for preciseness's sake:

This happens to me with my favorites list as well.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anyone else having issues with the app? A friend sent this to me.

After he redownloaded the app, it is still doing it.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 24, 2019

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There just has to be a better way to post.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Anyone else having issues with the app? A friend sent this to me.

That password reset screen is literally the Forums webpage opened in Safari, we intentionally kick you out of the app for it (lest we get rejected for letting you navigate to a website that has a link to a place where you can pay cash money for things without giving Apple a 30% cut). If it's not working, all I can suggest is try another browser or maybe try it on a computer?

Also I'll reword that login expiry warning message. It's meant to let you know you'll be automatically logged out soon, not suggest you need to change your password. But it's not super clear on that.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

(lest we get rejected for letting you navigate to a website that has a link to a place where you can pay cash money for things without giving Apple a 30% cut).

Yeah they don't gently caress around with this, the app I worked on for my day job linked to library github pages and they rejected us because you could use that to technically buy a github subscription thru the webview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is going to be an incredibly dumb request but would there be a way to make the SA emojis have a section for like last used? Kinda like how the phone does it.

I know the keywords for a few I use but I don’t know them all.

Probably not possible but just something that could be useful maybe?

As always this is like my most used app on my phone and lots of love to everyone working on it.