Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Without spoiling anything it seems like you missed the entire premise of sense8 and the reason people liked it so much. It wasn't because of the scifi element for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Entirely possible. I couldn't make it through the first season because it was so cringe worthy.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

JMS has knocked a few noteworthy things out of the park, but he's had his share of whiffs too. So I'll stay at cautiously optimistic.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is sanderson prudish or does he just not personally write horny very much? there is a difference

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taffer posted:

Serious question: Did people actually like Sense8? I tried to watch it when everyone was fawing over it and was totally baffled. I thought it was really, really bad. Lazy characters, terrible conflict, and an interesting premise ruined by everyone just being 100% horny all the time. I say that not as a prudish thing, because sex and attraction are an important part of any character, but it was basically the primary defining characteristic of every single character which was just awful.

I never watched B5 though I've heard great things, but hearing that the creator of Sense8 is doing something with Sanderson's work does not fill me with confidence. Also I find it ironic that Sanderson wanted to work with him considering his prudish tendencies.

It's the reverse for me. I never watched Sense8, but I consider B5 the very best science fiction series ever made (followed by DS9 and BSG). JMS and Sanderson working together sounds like a dream come true, I'm very excited for Dark One.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Patware posted:

is sanderson prudish or does he just not personally write horny very much? there is a difference

Probably a bit of both. I personally like that he doesn't write horny and it's a great contrast to so much scifi/fantasy that has the authors horrible sex fantasies shoved in awkwardly and often. People posting about Wot in this thread all the time is a strong reminder of that.

But he's also seems to very actively avoid any talk of attraction or desire and doesn't even make allusions to sex (e.g. something starting between two characters and then a scene change with the obvious implication that they did it). This makes me think he is fairly prudish - which generally I'm okay with but it does leave some characters feeling flat sometimes, particularly when there's supposed to be some romance between them.

Ironically one of the exceptions to this is Dalinar and Navani, two of the oldest characters in TSA. Dalinar can't stop fantasizing about Navani and how hot she is and how good she smells. Maybe Sanderson has a thing for older women or something.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 4, 2019

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
IIRC Sanderson has said that his religious upbringing (and current religious beliefs) make him uncomfortable depicting sex, especially outside of marriage or involving younger characters like Vin and Elend. So he prefers to avoid it, which means he doesn’t get as much experience writing those scenes, which makes them clunky and awkward when they do happen. But he’s also said he’s aware of that awkwardness and trying to get better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bitprophet posted:

Two delicious flavors that go great together?! Can't wait.

Unrelated: finally made it to Knife of Dreams, aka the last Jordan-authored WoT volume. Been quite a slog, even tho I now only skim the Aes Sedai-heavy chapters. Mat's stuff is more fun, though I'm unconvinced by some recent developments with his attitude towards T u o n - and I mean that on top of Jordan's overall weak interpersonal relationship writing.

Speaking of weak writing, boy howdy, did y'all know that women have breasts, because I'm reminded of this fact literally twice a page at this point. Did ol' Robert die of horny in the end?

Yeah that book still sucks. HOWEVER, the next one is so much better. I'm about halfway through The Gathering Storm. For the first time since like book 4/5... it's really good! Stuff happens! The Aes Sedai chapters are actually good! The plot advances! You can totally tell it's Sanderson writing. This is the first I've read from him, but book 12 just seems to be a different... style than Jordan. A big problem I had with the Jordan books is that when there's dialog, it's hard to follow on audiobook, because they hardly re-iterate who is saying what. So unless you remember who said the first thing of the conversation, they don't remind you for another 5 minutes and you end up all confused after a few lines. I feel that Sanderson's writing style is much more conducive to dialog and I can follow it way easier in audiobook format.

Gathering Storm is the first WoT book I've actually really enjoyed and not just slogged through since Shadow Rising or maybe Fires of Heaven. Although, the Rhuidean chapter in Fires is loving awful and super confusing in audiobook format.

As for book 12, it's about loving time that Rand gives up his stupid "I will not kill a woman ever" thing. He's bringing all this poo poo (the domination band) on himself by being an idiot.. I love actually getting more content from the "chosen" points of views. Listening to the audiobook on the way to work, I was actually super into it and on the edge of my seat when Rand was choking out Min. I actually had no idea if he was going to end up killing her or not. But then again, it's WoT, where no major characters ever die, so I knew deep down that he would escape and Min would live somehow.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 4, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Taffer posted:

Probably a bit of both. I personally like that he doesn't write horny and it's a great contrast to so much scifi/fantasy that has the authors horrible sex fantasies shoved in awkwardly and often. People posting about Wot in this thread all the time is a strong reminder of that.

But he's also seems to very actively avoid any talk of attraction or desire and doesn't even make allusions to sex (e.g. something starting between two characters and then a scene change with the obvious implication that they did it). This makes me think he is fairly prudish - which generally I'm okay with but it does leave some characters feeling flat sometimes, particularly when there's supposed to be some romance between them.

Ironically one of the exceptions to this is Dalinar and Navani, two of the oldest characters in TSA. Dalinar can't stop fantasizing about Navani and how hot she is and how good she smells. Maybe Sanderson has a thing for older women or something.

see the distinction i'm trying to draw is whether he would be opposed to it happening at all, which i don't think there's much evidence of, but that's me kind of splitting hairs. dodging writing it out or alluding to it himself is just 'unhorny,' i guess, if he were collaborating and putting the kibosh on other people doing it then we're in legit prude territory

but i might also be putting stronger negative connotations on prude than you are

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Patware posted:

see the distinction i'm trying to draw is whether he would be opposed to it happening at all, which i don't think there's much evidence of, but that's me kind of splitting hairs. dodging writing it out or alluding to it himself is just 'unhorny,' i guess, if he were collaborating and putting the kibosh on other people doing it then we're in legit prude territory

but i might also be putting stronger negative connotations on prude than you are

he seems relatively chill from what i've seen about actually talking about this topic.

there's also a dual audience problem: dude's like, one of the most popular mormon writers alive that isn't the insane neocon orson scott card or the twilight lady? that base of his has extremely different perceptions about how much sex/alcohol/etc is too much, so he's trying to walk some kind of line there where he's progressive by those standards but not actually offending people

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 4, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah that book still sucks. HOWEVER, the next one is so much better. I'm about halfway through The Gathering Storm. For the first time since like book 4/5... it's really good! Stuff happens! The Aes Sedai chapters are actually good! The plot advances! You can totally tell it's Sanderson writing. This is the first I've read from him, but book 12 just seems to be a different... style than Jordan. A big problem I had with the Jordan books is that when there's dialog, it's hard to follow on audiobook, because they hardly re-iterate who is saying what. So unless you remember who said the first thing of the conversation, they don't remind you for another 5 minutes and you end up all confused after a few lines. I feel that Sanderson's writing style is much more conducive to dialog and I can follow it way easier in audiobook format.

It's this way in print too, frankly. One of the biggest struggles I had was that Jordan has a very wall-of-text writing style, even in dialogue. Someone will start talking and they just won't shut up for paragraphs or pages at a time. I always found myself having to skip back a page or two to figure out who the the hell the "she" was who was talking, or whose dress was suddenly being described in intricate detail.

You'd also get a lot of dialogue of this form:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus consequat, nisl vitae luctus ornare, augue eros pretium nisl, nec cursus nibh lacus pellentesque quam. Besides, morbi quis est sed lacus posuere porttitor non non enim. Cras et ipsum enim."

or

"Praesent odio nibh, malesuada vel elit at, rhoncus aliquet ipsum. Anyway, nulla consectetur accumsan libero. Integer rutrum et nisi accumsan tristique."

Like they would barely finish one essay-length diatribe and then instantly pivot into a new one which would also go on for pages and pages. Like, just picturing being someone in that scene and listening to the person drone on and on and on and not be able to get a word in edgewise, even when they supposedly are done with a thought, drove me up the wall.

Sanderson's dialogue immediately struck me as being all short sharp shocks—one-liners, repartee, back-and-forth, one sentence at a time. No "blah blah blah. ANYWAY, blah blah blah." He would always let people talk the way people, you know, talk. I really really appreciated that and it made 1000% difference in the enjoyability of the last three books for me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gathering Storm is the first WoT book I've actually really enjoyed and not just slogged through since Shadow Rising or maybe Fires of Heaven. Although, the Rhuidean chapter in Fires is loving awful and super confusing in audiobook format.

As for book 12, it's about loving time that Rand gives up his stupid "I will not kill a woman ever" thing. He's bringing all this poo poo (the domination band) on himself by being an idiot.. I love actually getting more content from the "chosen" points of views. Listening to the audiobook on the way to work, I was actually super into it and on the edge of my seat when Rand was choking out Min. I actually had no idea if he was going to end up killing her or not. But then again, it's WoT, where no major characters ever die, so I knew deep down that he would escape and Min would live somehow.

It just gets better and better. There is a Perrin scene coming up in book 13 that is so good I get chills and start crying a little. Everything will start coming together and wrapping up rapidly. You have 12 books worth of payoffs coming up.
For people who have read it already book 13 spoilers Perrin in the wolf dream when they all gather around dragonmount as rand decides the fate of the world and perrin forces himself up past the winds to watch.

Another good moment. Book 14 spoilers. When the wolves show up from the Horn to fight the darkhounds. That gets me everytime.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 4, 2019

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
More Sanderson is always a good thing, and I'm stoked to see how his style fares on TV, but every time I check he's started three new projects when all I want is the next Mistborn book.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

More Sanderson is always a good thing, and I'm stoked to see how his style fares on TV, but every time I check he's started three new projects when all I want is the next Rithmatist book.

FTFY

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Both? Both is good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What in the everlasting gently caress just happened in Chapter 27 (The Tipsy Gelding) and 28 (Night in Hinderstap) in book 12? :lol:

I don't necessarily need an answer to that, but it was basically what I was thinking the whole time I was listening to it. Those were like the 2 weirdest chapters ever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hinderstap was fuckin' sweet and about the time where I actually started to like Mat. Largely due to Talmanes.

I'm a little bit past half way through Book 14, the scene where Mat captures a Sharan and one of the Seanchan is like, "Not that anyone would question the Empress - may she live forever - but drat SON. RESPECT." was pretty great.

Also, earlier in the book:

Rand: Hey, Egwene, can I see the Seals?
Egwene: Sure, here you go.
Rand: Ha-ha, very funny Egwene. These are obviously fakes; c'mon - I won't break them.
Egwene: ....What do you mean they're fake?

Got me good

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 5, 2019

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Finally finished Oathbringer. So about a year until the next one, give or take?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yes, State of the Sanderson / his irregular Reddit posts suggest he's still confident in a 2020 release.

Which isn't soon enough :negative:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

One of the neat foreshadowing lines is that Rand said he would sooner cut off his hand than hurt Min

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What in the everlasting gently caress just happened in Chapter 27 (The Tipsy Gelding) and 28 (Night in Hinderstap) in book 12? :lol:

I don't necessarily need an answer to that, but it was basically what I was thinking the whole time I was listening to it. Those were like the 2 weirdest chapters ever.

Read the next few chapters and it is answered. Top tier stuff. Hinterstap is amazing.

Sab669 posted:

Hinderstap was fuckin' sweet and about the time where I actually started to like Mat. Largely due to Talmanes.

I'm a little bit past half way through Book 14, the scene where Mat captures a Sharan and one of the Seanchan is like, "Not that anyone would question the Empress - may she live forever - but drat SON. RESPECT." was pretty great.

Also, earlier in the book:

Rand: Hey, Egwene, can I see the Seals?
Egwene: Sure, here you go.
Rand: Ha-ha, very funny Egwene. These are obviously fakes; c'mon - I won't break them.
Egwene: ....What do you mean they're fake?

Got me good

I love anytime people in the series realize how great Mat "I have the memories of 10,000 dead generals and lords from the last 3000 years and also I am so lucky that it is impossible for me to lose at anything important."

Also lol at Rand owning Egwene on the seals thing. She was built to be a foil to Rand, and she definitely matches pre god mode Rand in arrogance. Too bad she didn't get the same moment of Nirvana and introspection.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Fenrir posted:

Finally finished Oathbringer. So about a year until the next one, give or take?

Have you read all of his other works? If you need a fix, The Wheel of Time is a good giant fantasy series to binge on audio book.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

Have you read all of his other works? If you need a fix, The Wheel of Time is a good giant fantasy series to binge on audio book.

Hahaha, oh hell no. I got 5 books into that hole 20+ years ago and there's no way I'm going to slog through Jordan again.

I might pick up some more Mistborn, though - I only ever read the first one - but before that I might just gently caress off to the scifi ghetto for a while.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fenrir posted:

Hahaha, oh hell no. I got 5 books into that hole 20+ years ago and there's no way I'm going to slog through Jordan again.

I might pick up some more Mistborn, though - I only ever read the first one - but before that I might just gently caress off to the scifi ghetto for a while.

if you've finished oathbringer and liked it, definitely finish Mistborn. it's both (a) good and (b) very likely to have crossovers in the near future with the Stormlight books

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fenrir posted:

Warbreaker is kind of rough but I like it and it already has several crossover characters in Stormlight.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Sab669 posted:

Yes, State of the Sanderson / his irregular Reddit posts suggest he's still confident in a 2020 release.

I'd say he's mildly confident in 2020. He admitted he was 20k? words in the hole on finishing up certain sections of the book and didn't make much up over time. Hoping for an update soon.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Fenrir posted:

Mistborn 1 is the only one I enjoyed. The next two having pacing issues, and I didn't like any of the characters other than Vin and Spook. Stormlight has been more consistently good.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

RC Cola posted:

Read the next few chapters and it is answered. Top tier stuff. Hinterstap is amazing.

I love anytime people in the series realize how great Mat "I have the memories of 10,000 dead generals and lords from the last 3000 years and also I am so lucky that it is impossible for me to lose at anything important."

Also lol at Rand owning Egwene on the seals thing. She was built to be a foil to Rand, and she definitely matches pre god mode Rand in arrogance. Too bad she didn't get the same moment of Nirvana and introspection.

Tuon's realization about Mat A Buffoon? No. A lion stuffed into a horse-stall might look like a peculiar joke, but a lion on the high plains was something very different. Toy was loose on the high plains, now. She felt a chill. What sort of man had she entangled herself with? After all this time, she realized, she had hardly a clue

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Sab669 posted:

Add another year of me waiting for the graphic audio release of it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least Sanderson is still alive and not suffering from a rare blood disease, and he's also not GRRM or Patrick Rothfuss. I endured much worse.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I just listened to a sample and this is unlistenable

mewse
May 2, 2006

BananaNutkins posted:

Mistborn 1 is the only one I enjoyed. The next two having pacing issues, and I didn't like any of the characters other than Vin and Spook. Stormlight has been more consistently good.

I think I also enjoyed mistborn 1 more than 2 or 3. The wax and Wayne books are really good tho

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I had never heard of this and I am stunned at its badness. They add music to battle scenes :psyduck:

Why would you listen to this when the actual audio book is so good.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Slanderer posted:

I just listened to a sample and this is unlistenable

Taffer posted:

I had never heard of this and I am stunned at its badness. They add music to battle scenes :psyduck:

Why would you listen to this when the actual audio book is so good.

It's actually super cool and rad, and I'm sorry about your poor taste. But, yeah it's an audiodrama format which means sound effects/music/loads of voice actors it's a bit of a different style that isn't really popular anymore...but I imagine will become more popular as profits increase and budgets increase.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 9, 2019

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I listened to a few Star Wars books that did that and it was kind of neat to hear the Star Wars music, blaster sounds, etc.

I don't know about the rest of them but I've been doing a Dresden Files reread recently but listening to the audiobooks this time and it seems like the last few I've listened to (Blood Rites, Death Masks, Dead Beat) all had a musical intro at the beginning of the book. Kind of gets you in the mood to listen. I like it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It's actually super cool and rad, and I'm sorry about your poor taste. But, yeah it's an audiodrama format which means sound effects/music/loads of voice actors it's a bit of a different style that isn't really popular anymore...but I imagine will become more popular as profits increase and budgets increase.

I actually really like audiobooks that have different actors for different characters, or at least different POV's (I've only found one that did this, Hyperion), but music and sound effects really don't fit the format at all, IMO. The power of books is how they activate your imagination, and filling that space with half-baked sounds and music takes away all that strength.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Taffer posted:

I actually really like audiobooks that have different actors for different characters, or at least different POV's (I've only found one that did this, Hyperion), but music and sound effects really don't fit the format at all, IMO. The power of books is how they activate your imagination, and filling that space with half-baked sounds and music takes away all that strength.

Yeah, this. I'm only listening to audiobooks because they work better with my schedule than reading a lot of the time, and the strength of the writing and the voice actor's delivery is what carries it. It also has the unexpected benefit of making certain parts of the text more poignant due to hearing them spoken out loud with emotion rather than in my head. But anything that distracts from the text kills it for me. Same reason why I refuse to listen to any sort of podcast / "radio show" that is overproduced--I don't care that you carefully recorded 10 hours of a dripping faucet to overlay your podcast on the water in Flint Michigan, it's dumb distracting bullshit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, book 12 is so much better than the last 6 Jordan books. Getting close to the end but I think this book contained the only 2 times I've ever laughed out loud in this series.

One when Mat asks if he should dig up Artur Hawkwing and have him do a dance, and the second when he said he thought Verin "saidar'ed" the picture of him into existence.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Daric posted:

I listened to a few Star Wars books that did that and it was kind of neat to hear the Star Wars music, blaster sounds, etc.

I don't know about the rest of them but I've been doing a Dresden Files reread recently but listening to the audiobooks this time and it seems like the last few I've listened to (Blood Rites, Death Masks, Dead Beat) all had a musical intro at the beginning of the book. Kind of gets you in the mood to listen. I like it.

A lot of books have intros and I don't know about Starwars books, but I have run into a few other works adding in sound effects. But this takes it to the extreme.

Constant BGM, lots of action dialog replaced with a sound effects, a good example is if someone slams the door and stomps away, this is just replaced with sound effects. The other big change is dialog can also have actors cutting each other off or talking over each other when it would be happening in the scene and it feels natural.

This format is super old like 1920s until it was slowly killed off by TV. BBC was like the final holdout and never really stopped making them to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just had a totally random thought. Like I literally just woke up and thought it in spite of not reading any Sanderson for almost a year now.

I'm not sure if it's completely obvious and I'm just super late to the party or if it's actually impossible and I'm remembering wrong.

Was Marsh killing the other Inquisitors and helping to kill the Lord Ruler because of Ruin? Could he have only resisted like that because it benefited Ruin to finally have Rashek done away with?

I used to just think, when I first read it, that he simply retained enough of his mind at first to fight back. But the Inquisitor's fanaticism does make a lot more sense if they're all being controlled. I would not become super loyal to the guy who did that to me.

Also I always use audiobooks but they'e "normal" audiobooks. I first found audiobooks of TSA that were more dramatized or something and I didn't like those.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 12, 2019