Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there were some dudes like that who used to show up to a dive me and some friends went to when i was in the navy, and this one marine woman who was jacked as poo poo absolutely loved mocking them for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Addamere posted:

there were some dudes like that who used to show up to a dive me and some friends went to when i was in the navy, and this one marine woman who was jacked as poo poo absolutely loved mocking them for it

was her name Vasquez?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cacafuego posted:

was her name Vasquez?

No, and she's never been mistaken for a man. Have you?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTB_L86TxQc
pretty windy in italy

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oh there's a weather thread?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

gently caress yeah there is

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

soy posted:

Im not gay

Get a load of this fuckin' loser

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hows hurricane season developing? any new storms of the century of the week?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
one good thing about extreme weather hitting europe: we europeans have no experience with it so there will be tons of cell phone videos of insane weather and all americans will be like WHAT ARE YOU DOING GET INTO THE BASEMENT oh god oh god oh god

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ymgve posted:

one good thing about extreme weather hitting europe: we europeans have no experience with it so there will be tons of cell phone videos of insane weather and all americans will be like WHAT ARE YOU DOING GET INTO THE BASEMENT oh god oh god oh god

you're massively overstating the survival instinct of your average american in regions where extreme weather is common

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-increases-chance-for-above-normal-hurricane-season

quote:

NOAA forecasters monitoring oceanic and atmospheric patterns say conditions are now more favorable for above-normal hurricane activity since El Nino has now ended. Two named storms have formed so far this year and the peak months of the hurricane season, August through October, are now underway.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

japan's about to get hit by their third typhoon in 2 weeks but the atlantic has been eerily quiet so far

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

you're massively overstating the survival instinct of your average american in regions where extreme weather is common

Yeah, there's a number of loving insane tornado videos that prove we're as dumb as everyone else when it comes to extreme weather.

Still worth it though those videos whip

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, there's a number of loving insane tornado videos that prove we're as dumb as everyone else when it comes to extreme weather.

Still worth it though those videos whip

yeah, it's definitely a "thank you brave moron for this excellent video" territory

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ymgve posted:

I was surprised to discover that when it gets above 85 Fahrenheit apparently Europeans just lay down and wait for death

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gripweed posted:

I was surprised to discover that when it gets above 85 Fahrenheit apparently Europeans just lay down and wait for death

typical american assuming that air con is standard everywhere and that buildings aren't built to keep heat in for cold winters

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

They've gotten way better though. Wasn't this last heatwave worse than the 2002 one, but a ton fewer people died? I assume since their governments aren't averse to actually solving problems, they've beefed up social services and cooling centers to make sure the highest risk people are safe.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jose posted:

typical american assuming that air con is standard everywhere and that buildings aren't built to keep heat in for cold winters

get a big fan

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

growing up my fam had one a/c and it was in my room cause i was a dumb kid and we only used it on days when it was 90 degrees inside
then my mom got central installed and now she wont spend a single second outside of it and thinks me having one window unit for my apartment is dumb.
boomers man

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hahaha how the gently caress is heat death real just put a big fan in the window hahaha just blow the hot air out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Open two windows for airflow. Ancient American secret.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Boomer Brain Worms

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

use Celsius like the rest of the world you loving morons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

celcius is a plot to hide how hot it actually is with smaller numbers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

use Celsius like the rest of the world you loving morons

pfft then the weatherman doesn't say 69 on tv like, ever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm sure Celsius seemed like a good idea when it never got hot, so you invented a system that made winters sound worse than they are. But now you guys are getting hot summers and you're hosed because you have to be like, "Oh my god it's 34 degrees out there!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

pfft then the weatherman doesn't say 69 on tv like, ever

Give it a decade or so

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

extremely hard to figure out the temperature based on ice or boiling water and plan appropriately

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I'm sure Celsius seemed like a good idea when it never got hot, so you invented a system that made winters sound worse than they are. But now you guys are getting hot summers and you're hosed because you have to be like, "Oh my god it's 34 degrees out there!"

Pounded in the Butt by Scientific Consensus Formed In the Little Ice Age

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jose posted:

extremely hard to figure out the temperature based on ice or boiling water and plan appropriately

The European obsession with water changing state, and the subsequent belief that all systems of measurement should be based on it, will never cease to baffle me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you would think that for all the tropical countries the Europeans sacked they'd know how to make a wetcloth to stay cool but nah gotta use celcius instead

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

nice map of freedom and not freedom

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The European obsession with water changing state, and the subsequent belief that all systems of measurement should be based on it, will never cease to baffle me.

celsius makes sense for chemistry and stuff

but fahrenheit far better suited to being a general scale for representing the range of temperatures naturally present on the earth's surface

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Kelvin is the best system. Starts at absolute zero (duh, what's with this negatives bullshit?) and there are 100 Kelvins between freezing water (273.16 K) and boiling water (373.16 K). So simple!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

celsius makes sense for chemistry and stuff

but fahrenheit far better suited to being a general scale for representing the range of temperatures naturally present on the earth's surface

lol only americans think this because they're all indoctrinated

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plastic grocery bags are the poo poo. Wtf is wrong with you people

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

quote:

In Rmer's scale, brine freezes at zero, water freezes and melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and make the scale more fine-grained. He then re-calibrated his scale using the melting point of ice and normal human body temperature (which were at 30 and 90 degrees); he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times (since 64 is 2 to the sixth power).

quote:

In the present-day Fahrenheit scale, 0 F no longer corresponds to the eutectic temperature of ammonium chloride brine as described above. Instead, that eutectic is at approximately 4 F on the final Fahrenheit scale.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

yeah a range of 10 degrees which describes temperatures experienced on earth totally makes sense. NOT