Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

I'd just like companies to implement decent block functions. If i've played with a bad player, then i'd like to block them and never matchmake with them again. Sure, it might mean i miss out on some games and have to wait longer, but over time the bad players will get blocked by so many they will stop getting matched with people except those other bad players.

Overwatch had this then patched it out because it was causing pros to have abnormally long queue lines since folks would block them to avoid losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

I agree.

Well I'll go first then - Hello Something Awful forums, you guys might know me as Kosumo but my real name is Derek K Smart.

they call me Bumble He,
more trash then Slim Shady,
don't call me Stumble Pee,
my real name's Uncle D.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh gods, auto matchmaking is just plain bad.

Yeah, it means you can get games quicker in general, but it also means you can't speak with players in the lobby and also spot people who you might know to be bad players.

I'd just like companies to implement decent block functions. If i've played with a bad player, then i'd like to block them and never matchmake with them again. Sure, it might mean i miss out on some games and have to wait longer, but over time the bad players will get blocked by so many they will stop getting matched with people except those other bad players.

Mokinokaro posted:

Overwatch had this then patched it out because it was causing pros to have abnormally long queue lines since folks would block them to avoid losing.

See, these are the interesting things that we're discovering as gaming brings more and more people in contact with each other. There can be whole texts devoted to studying online interactions and how to manage/police them. Some solutions seem simple in theory but fall apart in practice. By all logic, Star Citizen should have been dead by now but here we are.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Servers had communities. Auto matchmake does not.

Most modern games have streamlined the idle time that tended to result in chatter. It's hard to fault them for this, as the idle time in older games often really was just the result enforced waiting around. But people filled that space by talking to one another - that's why people look back on lovely games like everquest and eve and tfc with nostalgia.

TFC at 320x200 and still getting 5 FPS on this lovely loving map god dammit

In that sense Star Citizen is a great success. It's enforced straight years and years of idle time for people to interact with eachother without any gameplay whatsoever.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In that sense Star Citizen is a great success. It's enforced straight years and years of idle time for people to interact with eachother without any gameplay whatsoever.

But do you remember staring at that "Waiting for match" clock ticking away and the frustration it brought? That frustration has been building for 5 years (since 2014 was the expected release date) and they're turning that frustration outward. Mostly. I got a good LoL at the Lethality/Kazan slap fight from a few days ago.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Plebs should be impressed by my video game ship:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Too many Hairy Robertses

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Agony Aunt posted:

Good times. Playing MUDs over the uni's JANET connection. Playing Dune 2 in the office via serial cable. Getting friends around and installing NICs and connecting with 10BASE-2 coax and praying you could get it to work.

Ah, until someone wheeled an office chair over it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

300 million dollars well spent

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

skeletors_condom posted:

God he's so close to realizing he's paying hundreds of dollars to be an unpaid playtester.

Also it's loving hilarious that the more expensive a ship is the buggier it's going to be because so few people will ever use it, even during the Alpha.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Whatever happened to the idea that eventually, the hanger that came with your ship, would open up to space or whatever and you’d fly your ship out from there? This seems like a way better idea than having a limited number of pads. Plus you could just abstract a lot of stuff, like elevators. You just get into an elevator and it teleports you to your hanger and voila.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What's the thread title about?

Warhawk109 posted:

Whatever happened to the idea that eventually,
Star Citizen

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Warhawk109 posted:

Whatever happened to the idea that eventually, the hanger that came with your ship, would open up to space or whatever and you’d fly your ship out from there? This seems like a way better idea than having a limited number of pads. Plus you could just abstract a lot of stuff, like elevators. You just get into an elevator and it teleports you to your hanger and voila.

Yes but "physicalised objects" something something, and anyway, the elevator has to do this cool 180 degree switch in mid-travel and then incline slightly upwards to meet the door because the devs got the scale wrong and it couldn't quite fit without a fudge.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Warhawk109 posted:

Chris happened

I mean it's really not hard to answer this stuff. The answer to any "Why didn't they just" question is always, at the core: "The game designer is a moron." That's it. Chris happened, just as he always happens. He is almost the perfect anti-manager. If you set him up in a glass box and just did the exact opposite of every single thing he told you to do, you'd probably get a pretty good game out on time and under budget.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

What's the thread title about?

One of Star Citizens biggest supporters, last week, went on a massively unhinged racist rant. Used the n-word at least 9 times and said that black people are inferior and not human.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

skeletors_condom posted:

Store criticizer: It was supposed to be special

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

SC has many rich biomes

The store page
The pledge conference
The screen shot forum
Space court
The badlands (something awful)
On the spectrum (safe zone)
Deseret of remorse (no refunds forum)

That's just the main ones I'm sure there are others I have yet to explore.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The wankpod biome is the best because it references many Citizen's actual living quarters.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/JPSandman_/status/1160947877209878530

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Ah yes, the false flag, it's actually those evil goons pretending to be deranged neo-nazi's!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

"mature" lol

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Willow > racist assholes.

hell yeah

oh no

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's a shame Chris obsesses over Star Wars instead of The Thing, because he's doing a reasonable job of recreating the latter.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

If Chris tried to replicate The Thing, he'd probably en up making 2001: A Space Odyssey: The Video: Game:.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

If Chris tried to make Apocalypse Now I'm sure it would end up like the Blues Brothers. (but poo poo)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/977222663025381376
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/965789739835101184
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/969762755396931584
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/997810148612739073

Eurogamer: Another SpatialOS game's been canned, making it the third this year - Lazarus' cancellation follows Mavericks: Proving Grounds and Worlds Adrift

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I said come in! posted:

One of Star Citizens biggest supporters, last week, went on a massively unhinged racist rant. Used the n-word at least 9 times and said that black people are inferior and not human.

I thought him using “Spanish-speaking Guatemalans” as an insult (:shrug:) was the oddest, though not the most offensive, bit of his garbage nonsense.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lethality straight murdering games lol

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

tooterfish posted:

It's a shame Chris obsesses over Star Wars instead of The Thing, because he's doing a reasonable job of recreating the latter.

Nah, crobo would turn The Thing into a generic horror movie with the Kilrathi kitties from the WC movie as monsters.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/BattleFate/status/1161090927290720258

Flashback:

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 13, 2019

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

somewhere, the hair on the back of chris' neck begin to stand up. the polynomial quantum drive calculator must be refactored.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

tooterfish posted:

This is the logical order of events. If Chris had been obsessed with The Thing, he'd have failed to recreate that too, and his "game" would plagiarize a different work, perhaps Bladerunner.

Really the best way to keep your IP from being stolen by Chris is to make sure it inspires him. His attempt to copy it is the best assurance it's never actually copied.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

skeletors_condom posted:

Not gating 'premium' content during testing is UNACCEPTABLE.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

skeletors_condom posted:

I too mainly play video games to flaunt my collection of luxury pixels at other players.

Failed neckbeards seeking faux social status like him are the exact answer for why this mess is still lumbering on after 7 years.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Corporate espoinage? LOL.

poo poo talking a computer game is now corporate espionage.... i see.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mokinokaro posted:

Hmmm... probably only work for a coop game then, no a competitive one.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Agony Aunt posted:

Corporate espoinage? LOL.

poo poo talking a computer game is now corporate espionage.... i see.

Was that excerpt from Beer's conversation with Sandi?

If so I think it specifically was about a ship name he posted before their reveal. They then tried to change the name in the store but left a placeholder, which is the origin story of the Aegist potato.

somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The memories are clouded by parp

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Whats the discovery date for space court again?

Soon(TM) right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

IN THE LAST FIVE HUNDRED YEARS