Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

dog nougat posted:

Looks like you're drawing from imagination pretty much exclusively.
:words:
I'd recommend you do some life drawing/drawing from reference of human faces to better help you convey the emotions and of the character in these scenes.

really appreciate the critique, and you're spot on. 99% of anything i've ever drawn was boredom-induced pen to paper in the moment. i tend to use what i know about drawing faces from way way back when i was drawing more often in high school and i guess it's telling my technique hasn't advanced beyond that. i definitely need to brush up on getting facial features more true to life.

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
No prob. Always happy to give a critique.

It's easy to fall into the same habits of rendering what you think you know. We're all guilty of it. Breaking away from your habits and notions of what things should look like is important. It's through essentially memorization and "failure" that we learn..

For example I use references still while creating new characters, but I take what I interpret to be the key (read: important) details and extrapolate upon them and try to create work that is uniquely my own. It doesn't happen instantly, but takes essentially years of work to get to that point. There aren't any defined shortcuts perse, but they do exist, you just have to define them and figure them out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Love this but it bears a very strong resemblance to your avatar. Not that that's a bad thing.

Here is a quick sketch of an idea I might do for a mural. Face is a little too young and very clearly not drawn from reference.
Still want to flesh out a few more ideas. May not go with this idea at all. Or I might go with some photo reference and an older model. Need to do more thumbnails.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'm drawing this...thing at the moment? Working on it very very slowly, I have no idea what I actually want to do so it's taken a month to reach this point. It started as bunch of random overlapping shapes and then I just went with my gut.
I've been looking at books about space and also insects, so the subject matter isn't really a mystery so far. I want to work some kind of human element in there, like a large face looming over the caterpillar.
It's all plain colour pencil.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been using my Choose Your Own Adventure thread as a good excuse to practice doodling in my spare time. My current work is basically coding and has been very time-consuming (although in a very satisfying way) so I took this as an opportunity to write and draw for 2-3 hours a day to keep practicing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Love this but it bears a very strong resemblance to your avatar. Not that that's a bad thing.

L composition baybeeeeeeeeeee

(more seriously it's something i generally did by instinct with landscapes and it's only fairly recently i learned it was a pretty standard compositional technique that i had just picked up from osmosis from looking at lots and lots of landscapes)

Al! fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 6, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just playing around practicing with light

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Here's someone's Dungeons & Dragons character, a mouse engineer:

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

Practice practice practice.

Not sure how long I spent on each of these. I went to my first croquis session yesterday, which was great fun, but also exhausting, so today I decided not to use a clock and to just have fun.

I've been trying to get better at proportions by measuring where things are relative to other things in the drawing. I think I'm getting better at it?

If anyone wants to see the drawings from the actual croquis session, I can upload those, but it'll be as crappy mobile photos, because I'm not going to bother scanning that many pages.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Tayacan posted:

I've been trying to get better at proportions by measuring where things are relative to other things in the drawing. I think I'm getting better at it?
You are!
Take note that the seemingly simple act of learning to measure where things are relative to other things will be an unending struggle.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

a hole-y ghost posted:

You are!
Take note that the seemingly simple act of learning to measure where things are relative to other things will be an unending struggle.

Thank you! Yes, I'm not expecting that this is something I can just learn in a week and then be done with... Even while being hyperaware of it with, for example, the legs and torso in the leftmost one of those drawings, I still caught myself trying to draw her nose right in the center of the shape I'd made for her face. :P

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Ahhh back from holidays where I had the time to do watercolours 'cause the internet is shite out in the country and there's not that much to do. I've meant to post these for a few days, swearing that I'd do it when I can scan them all nice. Pfpfpfppf that's not gonna happen, I got video games to play!

Mom & Dad's new dog. They've had collie mixes before and they got a purebred Finnish Lapphund through their local animal rescue and learned that the price of a purebred is in the amount of things it can destroy through chewing. She is so freaking adorable, like a tiny wolf, but man is she nippy.

We went to an art gallery and I was super disappointed by how old-fashioned most of the art on display was. "Modern" paintings straight from the 80's, mentally dusty brass sculptures of vaguely humanlike figures with cloth, walls and walls of art butts and tits. The abstracts with paint caked so thick they might as well have used mortar. And the price tags! ARGH I WAS SO MAD and then I made the one in the right-hand corner. It's called "evolution of woman" and is 2000euros if you want it.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Al! posted:

with apologies to shinmera

Apologies for what :confused: looks good to me!

I, on the other hand, have to apologise for not having drawn in many days until today. If I wanted excuses I could say I was ill, busy with my game, and so forth, but really, the reason is that I was feeling rather defeatist and depressed about it for a while and just couldn't get over that.

Anyway, today I finally did something: September

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

We went to an art gallery and I was super disappointed by how old-fashioned most of the art on display was. "Modern" paintings straight from the 80's, mentally dusty brass sculptures of vaguely humanlike figures with cloth, walls and walls of art butts and tits. The abstracts with paint caked so thick they might as well have used mortar. And the price tags! ARGH I WAS SO MAD and then I made the one in the right-hand corner. It's called "evolution of woman" and is 2000euros if you want it.
Was it art or Art? It seems to make a difference with pricing.

I went to France for two weeks and this is what I did, in order of appearance:

For this I have been called "skilled" and "talented" and I was like "deliberate practise" and thought "I bet Goons can burn this down".

Keetron fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 10, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

Was it art or Art? It seems to make a difference with pricing.

Oh it was definitely Art, this is The Biggest Gallery in bumfuck nowhere which makes the pricing all the more baffling. Country folk will haggle over a used 40 cent porcelain figurine. My parents told me that the gallery sets the prices so the artists can't set them too low and actually sell somethi.. I mean, bring down the value of the place. To be fair, it wasn't all terrible, there were some decent concrete+resin sculptures that were interesting to look at and some up-and-coming artists with palettes that were a bit more modern. There was also the installation of dead mosquitoes, all their wings plucked and glued to a piece of plexiglass above them, some of them painted shades of yellow, orange and red. Soundscape playing the sound of a popping fire. Eurgh.

The pic under the pic I picked shows up a broken link for me, but also I like it this one the most. It's simple, comfy and soothing.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Keetron posted:

For this I have been called "skilled" and "talented" and I was like "deliberate practise" and thought "I bet Goons can burn this down".

I don't know enough about watercolor to say any more than "pretty", but I can silently judge you if it'll help

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Oh it was definitely Art, this is The Biggest Gallery in bumfuck nowhere which makes the pricing all the more baffling. Country folk will haggle over a used 40 cent porcelain figurine. My parents told me that the gallery sets the prices so the artists can't set them too low and actually sell somethi.. I mean, bring down the value of the place. To be fair, it wasn't all terrible, there were some decent concrete+resin sculptures that were interesting to look at and some up-and-coming artists with palettes that were a bit more modern. There was also the installation of dead mosquitoes, all their wings plucked and glued to a piece of plexiglass above them, some of them painted shades of yellow, orange and red. Soundscape playing the sound of a popping fire. Eurgh.

Approximately what percentage of the photographs were printed on canvas?

And is there any better "fancy" art gallery cliche than the dramatic B&W artistic nude photography. "It's not sexual, it's about form and composition"

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shinmera posted:

I, on the other hand, have to apologise for not having drawn in many days until today. If I wanted excuses I could say I was ill, busy with my game, and so forth, but really, the reason is that I was feeling rather defeatist and depressed about it for a while and just couldn't get over that.

Anyway, today I finally did something: September

oh my gosh never stop doing these water scenes :swoon:

e: how do you plan out these sorts of scenes anyway? I've wanted to do cool environment art for a while but have never been very successful at it

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The pic under the pic I picked shows up a broken link for me, but also I like it this one the most. It's simple, comfy and soothing.

The mosquito thing sounds nasty, I wonder how many body parts are in his freezer.

The link is fixed, thanks for liking my stuff.

dupersaurus posted:

I don't know enough about watercolor to say any more than "pretty", but I can silently judge you if it'll help
Yes, that helps. I'll wait for lofi to wake up for some judgement out loud.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

Approximately what percentage of the photographs were printed on canvas?

And is there any better "fancy" art gallery cliche than the dramatic B&W artistic nude photography. "It's not sexual, it's about form and composition"

You will note that this gallery is for Real Art which means no photography whatsoever because anyone can take a picture. :wotwot: :cripes:

My favourite "fancy" gallery trope is the modern art installation which leaves me wondering if I'm looking at a piece of random crap or if I'm just not Getting It. The aforementioned mosquito installation was that one for me.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Milking this a bit, but I found some location pics:

And yes, I have an instagram, why do you ask?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Shinmera posted:

oh i felt i was biting your style in some ways

the hanged man

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

May and a Californian Quail.

The posca pens were nice to work with, a whole new experience.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

Quick doodlerino.

Lincolnstein fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 11, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

edit:
still life

Al! fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 12, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

a hole-y ghost posted:

oh my gosh never stop doing these water scenes :swoon:

e: how do you plan out these sorts of scenes anyway? I've wanted to do cool environment art for a while but have never been very successful at it

Thanks :blush: There's at least one or two more coming and then the calendar will be complete.

Here's October:

As for a process, uh, I guess I can just explain how I did this one. First I spend a bunch of time on Google images finding a good reference.

Then I draw a rough sketch based on that reference.

This is turned into a proper line sketch, using layers for depth.

Then I block in the shapes using highly contrasting colours, so that I can see whether I leave spots out better. Then I bundle that into a clipping group so I can easily paint over it.

Next is filling in ground colours, which I typically pick directly from the photo because I suck at picking colours myself.

Okey, so now it's time for the dark magic of lighting, which for me means just fuddling around until I can't get it to be any better.

Finally I add extra effects like speckles, global light gradients, fill in the character's colours, and adjust all the colour layers with the HSV adjustment to get it to look a bit better. In this case I mostly upped the lightness on every base colour layer to get the contrast up a bit.

And that's it. The one for October was a bit different, since I went to painting stright away and spent some hours painting in grayscale, then coloured it in. I hope that explains what you were asking about?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hi, just got back from vacation where Dotpict has been a very good friend to me in my continuing endeavor not go a day without drawing something stupid! Also a drawing I really wanted to make while on vacation and made pretty much immediately when i got home.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Keetron posted:

Yes, that helps. I'll wait for lofi to wake up for some judgement out loud.

:derp: I'm famous! :derp:

1) You are drawing lots. That is always good!
2) Pen-wise, consider texture as well as outline - what does the surface feelook like, and how can you show that?
3) Tasty colours!
4) Keep an eye on composition, think where you want the centre of interest to be.

I've done my wrist in, and become deeeeeeply paranoid about RSI, so I've switched to a Colemak keyboard layout - typing is hell atm, so thats all you get for now! Also you vastly overestimate my watercolour skill.

Anatomy! Learning!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

:derp: I'm famous! :derp:

1) You are drawing lots. That is always good!
2) Pen-wise, consider texture as well as outline - what does the surface feelook like, and how can you show that?
3) Tasty colours!
4) Keep an eye on composition, think where you want the centre of interest to be.

I've done my wrist in, and become deeeeeeply paranoid about RSI, so I've switched to a Colemak keyboard layout - typing is hell atm, so thats all you get for now! Also you vastly overestimate my watercolour skill.

Anatomy! Learning!

Taking 1 and 3 as compliments, thanks!
2) can you show some examples of what you mean? links to other artists or art or something as I really tried textures as you mentioned that last time as well.
4) the hard part here was to find a spot in the shade that would also allow me to see the subject properly, but yeah.

You still are better than I am and have good tips, so I'll take what I can get. Get well soon on the wrist!

Anatomy... The class that made me drop out of med school (not a joke, this is a true story).

Today, after returning from holiday, my colleagues asked what I did the two weeks I was away and I said "paint, knit and cross-stitch" so I had to show some pics and long story short, the director got me to paint the main building of our campus on company time while on a software developers pay. Including sketching this will take me some 4 hours which is probably the highest paid commission I will ever get.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Use oils, get paid more!

Texture-wise, this one is nice:

The texture varies across the suface, as things change. At the moment yours have 'wall texture' or 'sand texture' across the entire surface. I mean, your already better than 90% of anime (:v:) but it's an area to consider. Using your colours in layers can help a lot with that, too.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

lofi posted:

I switched to Dvorak for the same reason almost exactly a year ago. The first week was pure hell, but now I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately I've also completely lost my ability to type Qwerty. :eng99:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

"Yahaha! You found me!"
I'm playing breath of the wild and these things are eeeeeeverywheeeereee!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shinmera posted:

I hope that explains what you were asking about?
Yeah! Thanks, I love process stuff!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Some daily stuff.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

Use oils, get paid more!

Texture-wise, this one is nice:

The texture varies across the suface, as things change. At the moment yours have 'wall texture' or 'sand texture' across the entire surface. I mean, your already better than 90% of anime (:v:) but it's an area to consider. Using your colours in layers can help a lot with that, too.

I see what you mean with layering, I have been trying to do that a bit with shadows but it can be done a lot more apparently. Currently I tried textures using just the pen.
Another thing I tried to do is as flat a wash as possible, just for reasons of skill, but it has less of a place in drawing life objects and more in illustrations. Thanks again for the help!

update: not the best but more practise:

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 13, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Dogs..

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

I've been drawing weird knotwork or other patterns by hand for a long time, tonight I've tried one of my few attempts at anything digital, any tips or tricks for this kind of thing? Any suggestions for how I can improve?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

This is the best goddamn thing btw I want it framed.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This is the best goddamn thing btw I want it framed.

I'm really proud of it and I will jump at any good opportunity to do a third strike reference.

Here's some drawin's

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I’m hitting a wall on the longest single piece I’ve done. It’s a gift for my dad, a digital painting (in ProCreate) of a mountain from his D&D campaign. I can’t see the forest for the trees any more. Any feedback would be awesome!

It all feels kinda muddy/hazy to me right now, but not necessarily in the way I want. I keep trying to add more harder/more detailed lines but they always clash. Help! Color is a new thing for me.
Sorry if it’s huge I’m posting this on mobile.