Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

Being a barback/security is fun but only the petite borgeiousie (and upwards) lose their smooth brained poo poo in bars for minor things

A friend of mine worked as a barback at a gay bar for a while and the only thing I remember from then is that it was really fun to ask him about his job doing bareback at the gay bar.

That's my post thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

billion dollar idea: smart tv that detects when commercials are playing and inserts its own ads in place of the ones playing on the tv channel

I'm 99% sure I've already seen a patent for this, that was from surprisingly long ago.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Peanut President posted:

is it illegal to tow vehicles where you live because if a car parked for several days where I live it'd be in a crusher by day 3

I live in a rare development that doesn’t give a gently caress where you park. This is both a blessing and a curse.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

It took me a while to figure out what seemed weird about old pictures from the Soviet Union but then I realized it's that there's no loving ads. Big cities like Kiev or Moscow, there's the occasional propaganda banner or mural or whatever, but not a single ad in sight, you can actually see the architecture and poo poo without having a layer of Coke ads plastered over it.

I have a big coffee table picture book of soviet union pictures and they most certainly had ads, just way less of them :shrug:

e: I think I mentioned it in here before but they also had TV commercials too, but instead of brands they were presumably trying to drive demand for stuff there was a surplus of, so they sold concepts or product categories like "maybe have some oranges?!" or "ice cream is neat!"

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Aug 12, 2019

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shame Boy posted:

A friend of mine worked as a barback at a gay bar for a while and the only thing I remember from then is that it was really fun to ask him about his job doing bareback at the gay bar.

That's my post thanks for reading

well I enjoyed it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

We all did

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shame Boy posted:

Get a streamy stick like the goog one or the amazon one (or I'm sure some slightly less evil company probably makes one too, idk) and then just stream stuff from a computer

I do 90% of my streaming from a computer, and the TV rarely gets turned on, but when we sit down on the couch to watch a show it it's nice to not have to dick around with making sure a server in a different room is going etc. And a Roku, what I'm using, is a streamy stick essentially, but it's dependent on outside support so if the company goes tits up, my Roku is garbage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I do 90% of my streaming from a computer, and the TV rarely gets turned on, but when we sit down on the couch to watch a show it it's nice to not have to dick around with making sure a server in a different room is going etc. And a Roku, what I'm using, is a streamy stick essentially, but it's dependent on outside support so if the company goes tits up, my Roku is garbage.

I mean I guess it depends on what you're streaming but if you're just watching netflix or whatever you can just stream from / control everything from your phone :shrug:

If you wanna stream some :filez: then yeah you'd need a server running Plex or something, but you'd need that anyway regardless of what solution you pick.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Plex works great and has channels on roku and android TV and all that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's been over a decade since são paulo heavily restricted all outdoor advertising and banned billboards and it looks outstanding now

A lot of cities have been restricting or banning ads in the last decade and are all the better for it.

On the flip side you have NYC, which may very well be the ad capital of the world. You can't turn your head without some kind of advertising being shoved in your face. Times Square is just a bunch of giant screens showing advertisements for Coke and news networks above the entrances to chain restaurants. Then a guy dressed as Spiderman punches you in the face and demands $20 because you glanced in his direction.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Plex works great and has channels on roku and android TV and all that.

I haven't used it in a while but back when I did yeah Plex was impressively good at its job for what it was, definitely use that if you happen to have a big box of hard drives full of animes lying around you wanna watch

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

A lot of cities have been restricting or banning ads in the last decade and are all the better for it.

On the flip side you have NYC, which may very well be the ad capital of the world. You can't turn your head without some kind of advertising being shoved in your face. Times Square is just a bunch of giant screens showing advertisements for Coke and news networks above the entrances to chain restaurants. Then a guy dressed as Spiderman punches you in the face and demands $20 because you glanced in his direction.

The last time I was in NYC for business, one night my partner and I wandered around times square just because, y'know, New York Things To Do, and honestly the most interesting thing and the only thing I really remember from that night was that after we left we found a Toynbee tile in the middle of the road nearby, and I'd never expected to see one of those in real life. Times Square itself is just a blur of overly-bright screens and Chinese tourists.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its cool though, you see teachers are allowed to conceal carry in schools in texas so the sale is for them!

wait, what

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

its cool though, you see teachers are allowed to conceal carry in schools in texas so the sale is for them!

wait, what

Florida too, in some districts anyway. Now that that's slowly becoming the new normal I expect in 5 years they'll start advocating for students to conceal carry too, after all the only thing that can stop a bad kindergartener with a gun is a good kindergartener with a gun who needs to put down this active shooter quickly or else they'll miss snack time

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shame Boy posted:

Florida too, in some districts anyway. Now that that's slowly becoming the new normal I expect in 5 years they'll start advocating for students to conceal carry too, after all the only thing that can stop a bad kindergartener with a gun is a good kindergartener with a gun who needs to put down this active shooter quickly or else they'll miss snack time

Kindergarten Cop 2 - The longest nap time

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

apatheticman posted:

Kindergarten Cop 2 - The longest nap time

Kindergarten Cop 2 can just be a short film that is basically the ending sequence of Commando, but instead of Arnold mowing down South American henchmen it's a bunch of active shooter children.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/1160902109493178370

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I can't hate the shoe subscription. $20/mo sounds a bit expensive, but that's also Nike prices, I know my mom probably would have jumped on something like that because as kids I know I tore shoes up like no one's business.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't hate the shoe subscription. $20/mo sounds a bit expensive, but that's also Nike prices, I know my mom probably would have jumped on something like that because as kids I know I tore shoes up like no one's business.

also at a certain age, growing out of sneakers more than once a year. For some people a known upfront cost is preferable. It's def not for everyone, but I don't think it's the Worst Thing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah I'd have killed for that as a kid lol. i wasnt big into Nike but the red clay in the Sierra Nevada kills shoes fast if your at all outdoorsy, eventually it just stains everything

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
$20 a month for 4 pairs of shoes a year is $60 per pair.

$30 a month for 6 pairs is $60 a pair.

Capitalism is supposed to give discounts when you put yourself on the hook for more money. They cant even exploit us correctly.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

also at a certain age, growing out of sneakers more than once a year. For some people a known upfront cost is preferable. It's def not for everyone, but I don't think it's the Worst Thing

How about you buy new shoes when you need new shoes and you set aside $20/month to pay for them.

This is for people that are bad with money.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, I'm sure all those 2-10 year old kids targeted by this subscription will really care about that Nike logo on their shoes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lambert posted:

Also, I'm sure all those 2-10 year old kids targeted by this subscription will really care about that Nike logo on their shoes.

This is absolutely correct unironically.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lambert posted:

did you not grow up in america

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol if you didn’t grow up wearing nork or abbidas trainers , if not your parents wasted that money

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

elementary school kids literally peer pressure each other on their conspicuous consumption of veblen goods

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

This is for people that are bad with money.

So most Americans then

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shame Boy posted:

I have a big coffee table picture book of soviet union pictures and they most certainly had ads, just way less of them :shrug:

e: I think I mentioned it in here before but they also had TV commercials too, but instead of brands they were presumably trying to drive demand for stuff there was a surplus of, so they sold concepts or product categories like "maybe have some oranges?!" or "ice cream is neat!"

got milk?
pork: the other white meat

Chomp8645 posted:

Kindergarten Cop 2 can just be a short film that is basically the ending sequence of Commando, but instead of Arnold mowing down South American henchmen it's a bunch of active shooter children.

kc2 came out three years ago and stars dolph lundgren

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

duz posted:

kc2 came out three years ago and stars dolph lundgren

:eyepop:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lambert posted:

Its unlikely at 2 but from 5 on they probably care.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

elementary school kids literally peer pressure each other on their conspicuous consumption of veblen goods

I can remember being teased for my offbrand Payless sneakers at age 7 in...1988

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CURSE

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCJwfaX6DaA

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite is the white blond family of androids that all look like they were built out of stock photos.

Also I bet that's the most expensive product in the entire list because of course it is.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

My chromecast had a bug when viewing some dolby vision netflix shows. I called to complain. They asked me to use the streaming app built into my TV, and i made her wait while i put it on my wifi, downloaded system updates, made a samsung account, and connected to netflix to tell her, "no this one looks okay".

Samsung doesn’t support Dolby Vision.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

sometimes i view youtube's frontpage or trending page incognito, and it's always a hellscape like this

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

comedyblissoption posted:

I've had kids in my middle school job bully others for not having an apple phone or the latest apple phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I overheard a bunch of 8 year old boys at the pool bullying a kid because their Dads have Teslas that can do a dance while the other kid's Dad had the lovely Tesla that can't dance.