Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Aside from Thursday Knights, were there every any good 4e podcasts, actual play or not? Are we still using Masterplan or did any other notable software come along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Critical Hit is still going strong though it looks like they've branched out to other systems in the last ten years. I use Masterplan but it's not in good shape. The official page is gone and if you want anything in the database you'll have to do it all yourself. I couldn't find any resources for dumping data in that actually still worked.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Due to player attrition, I'm down to four players from six. Those two were Strikers, leaving the party with: Paladin, Monk, Artificer, and Cleric. It's been a ride.

Get the cleric to rebuild as barbarian/cleric.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Khizan posted:

Get the cleric to rebuild as barbarian/cleric.

Would never fly, he really really wants to be the healbot. Also tonight is the last session of the campaign :v:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

In case anyone isn't watching the thread but wants a 4e game, I'm running a 4th Edition version of Tyranny of Dragons

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Spiteski posted:

In case anyone isn't watching the thread but wants a 4e game, I'm running a 4th Edition version of Tyranny of Dragons
Thanks for the heads-up.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

what is the best way to acquire physical copies of the various 4e books these day?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

what is the best way to acquire physical copies of the various 4e books these day?

eBay/Amazon, or your FLGS if they carry older stuff.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Spiteski posted:

:bahgawd: drat australians

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I agree! (I'm a New Zealander!)

Timezones suck :(

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Spiteski posted:

I agree! (I'm a New Zealander!)

Timezones suck :(

if you moved it back say...........48 hours I could do it no problem :v: (I'm off Mon/Tue but right now you have the session happening at 1am wednesday morning for me)

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Has anyone used Masterplan for Gamma World? I'm trying to find an addon that adds in Gamma World's origins and energy types and have been coming up short. Does anyone have any background writing addons for Masterplan? google is showing basically nothing.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

So I'm running a 5e campaign (good job I like the group) and most of them prefer having a battle map and the Cleric player continually tries to roll attack rolls for Sacred Flame and really doesn't like faffing round with all their spells. So if I'm going to use both 5e and a battle map I'm going to bring in as much of a better edition as I can.

So far my initial house rules are:
  • Hit dice doubled (giving about as much healing as surges do)
  • Marks where appropriate give Disadvantage
  • Forced movement handed out liberally
  • I'm already using the World Axis cosmology. And the players don't know just how much from all over the place on it they are.[/font]

And for the characters, all currently 4th level:
    [list]
  • Cleric - the cleric is already an ambulatory statue thanks to a basilisk, multiple natural 1s trying to save, and a little divine intervention. Healing Word becomes a 2/encounter ability (taking away cleric spells) and adds a hit dice of healing. Also marble fist punches add a slide effect.
  • Warlock (Infernal/Tome) - doesn't need that much in the way of changes (and I've already replaced Eldritch Blast with Gift to Avernus just because)
  • Sorcererdin - Marking. Possibly forced movement on an attack. Considering breaking out swordmage rules as he already uses Booming Blade (and Greenflame Blade).
  • Rogue/Assassin - adding in advantage for flanking and possibly some thief tricks.

Any other suggestions for things I can/should add?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Heads up: CBLoader no longer works properly if you open it normally - the CBLoader site is not there any more. If you add "-d" it works and doesn't produce error messages all over the place - but I've had to reload all the .part files.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Cbloader never actually works it's just stable on the brink for a while

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

neonchameleon posted:

Heads up: CBLoader no longer works properly if you open it normally - the CBLoader site is not there any more. If you add "-d" it works and doesn't produce error messages all over the place - but I've had to reload all the .part files.

Horrifying news

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

How do I even purchase a 4e license for Hero Lab?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

First step is to get the car to 88 miles per hour...

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've managed to get my hands on a brand new box set of gamma world 7th edition. I guess this is the right place for it, since it's 4e!

Is there any reason not to have a communal deck of alpha cards and Omega cards? I mainly want to play one shots, and no one is going to know how to build a deck

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Jarvisi posted:

I've managed to get my hands on a brand new box set of gamma world 7th edition. I guess this is the right place for it, since it's 4e!

Is there any reason not to have a communal deck of alpha cards and Omega cards? I mainly want to play one shots, and no one is going to know how to build a deck
That's how we've always done it.

Be sure to reskin the crap out of 4e Monster Vault stuff if you've got access to it. Monster design really hit its stride by then.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

ImpactVector posted:

That's how we've always done it.

Be sure to reskin the crap out of 4e Monster Vault stuff if you've got access to it. Monster design really hit its stride by then.

I was going to try the adventure in the box and then move on from there. Or is the adventure bad?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Jarvisi posted:

I was going to try the adventure in the box and then move on from there. Or is the adventure bad?
I don't really remember. I may have run it once, but I usually went with The Gammarizer when running a one-shot. I think it was probably fine.

Though now that I look at it, it looks like GW7 was released around the same time as Monster Manual 3 and the Monster Vaults. So the monster design was likely comparable. All my gaming books are packed away in boxes at the moment otherwise I'd check myself.

At the very least they'd be an extra source to pull from once you start running out of GW monsters or if you're looking for something different.

For example, the MV dragons are some of the best examples of solo monsters in the whole game line. And it's easy to reskin them as something else like a RadBear (change the damage type to radiation and add 80s slotted shades to taste).

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Anyone got any tips on converting older AD&D modules for 4e play? I've been building my current campaign up to eventually doing A Paladin In Hell.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

unimportantguy posted:

Anyone got any tips on converting older AD&D modules for 4e play? I've been building my current campaign up to eventually doing A Paladin In Hell.
Don't go for a 1:1 deal. Old school adventures will have short encounters that lead to attrition. This doesn't work well in 4e.

Divide the dungeon up into areas and populate with appropriate encounters while sticking to the "theme" of the original.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Don't go for a 1:1 deal. Old school adventures will have short encounters that lead to attrition. This doesn't work well in 4e.

Divide the dungeon up into areas and populate with appropriate encounters while sticking to the "theme" of the original.

3 dungeons a day, yep and make sure the second has a milestone

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

unimportantguy posted:

Take the theme and npcs then apply that flavour to a standard 4e Dungeon formula.
Use cooper set pieces and move the traps into combat areas.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks for the responses! I'm not near my PC right now but I may have some follow-up questions later regarding specific bits of that adventure. I'm already ignoring some bits because the adventure was written by Monte Cook and has some of his system mastery "gently caress over the players for not knowing everything about the adventure ahead of time" stuff.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Did any Dragon content or obscure feat ever get put out which substantially altered the dynamic of mark punishment from the melee counterstrike model? I guess there's the Swordmage teleport-stab or the Battlemind. I feel like one of the E-classes could share the damage of the triggering attack?

unimportantguy posted:

Move any traps into the fights, and model the alarm-state of a classic dungeon by having minions or other interesting complications trickle in if the party gets into fights in main hallways or otherwise would draw a lot of attention.

Find the handful of interesting fights in the module/dungeon and make those the pillars of your new design. Four-five memorable encounters instead of repeat performances of the "yet more fire giant sentries" variety.

Some old modules have substantial treasure payout in secret rooms or obscure locations (thinking of the giant slayer in Steading, for instance.) In 4e I would probably reward exploration by having a parcel with a relevant, useful item available "early" if the party is careful or inventive. Like "the flame resist widget is definitely found after the fire elemental fight, but can be found shortly before it by a party that does some dungeoneering."

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Which one? I think Monte Cook has fun RPG modules but is so mechanically lacking that I can't consider running one without massive changes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Five Eyes posted:

Did any Dragon content or obscure feat ever get put out which substantially altered the dynamic of mark punishment from the melee counterstrike model? I guess there's the Swordmage teleport-stab or the Battlemind. I feel like one of the E-classes could share the damage of the triggering attack?

Paladins generally didn't do this for mark punishment, and mass sanctioning was always amusing.

Not to mention that one build that did a whole bunch of crazy stuff to marked and sanctioned targets then vanished into the void for a round. Goddammit so much was lost when WotC closed the D&D forums.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Which one? I think Monte Cook has fun RPG modules but is so mechanically lacking that I can't consider running one without massive changes.

A Paladin in Hell. I bought that module when it first came out at the tail end of 2e and then never ended up running it. I dug it up recently and realized it would fit well thematically in my current campaign.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

unimportantguy posted:

A Paladin in Hell. I bought that module when it first came out at the tail end of 2e and then never ended up running it. I dug it up recently and realized it would fit well thematically in my current campaign.
Yeah the key is that, for 4e, you should think of it as an adaptation, not a conversion.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Paladins generally didn't do this for mark punishment, and mass sanctioning was always amusing.

Not to mention that one build that did a whole bunch of crazy stuff to marked and sanctioned targets then vanished into the void for a round. Goddammit so much was lost when WotC closed the D&D forums.

I'm not aware of paladins getting any powers that took either you or your target out of play. I know bards got a couple powers that took their target out of play, but I don't think they could do it to themselves. I know somebody could, though I can't remember who.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Bubblehearth!

Wait, wrong game.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm not aware of paladins getting any powers that took either you or your target out of play. I know bards got a couple powers that took their target out of play, but I don't think they could do it to themselves. I know somebody could, though I can't remember who.

Avenger could set up a duel arena.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Think the build being referenced used the Voidsoul Genasi racial power.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Five Eyes posted:

Shielding Swordmage was the best non-hybrid and it didn't do the counterstrike model.

Paladin at Epic would Weaken anyone who disobeyed their sanction.

Those are the two that at least immediately come to mind.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Shielding Swordmage was the best non-hybrid and it didn't do the counterstrike model.

Paladin at Epic would Weaken anyone who disobeyed their sanction.

Those are the two that at least immediately come to mind.

Shielding Swordmage: Mark your target and then leave, making you the victor

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Swordmage marks and runs away. Avenger waits for the baddie to break off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
IIRC, Shielding Swordmage needs a rebalance because it (substantially) predates MM3 math.