Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The gx470 also quickly ends up cheaper than an equivalent 4runner on the used market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the Predator mouth is worth -$5,000 alone.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

Suburban Dad posted:

Yep, about what I figured.

My car seat says I can turn them front facing once >22 lbs, but the fact that it's so much safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible (40 lbs, so like age 3-5 I'd guess?) keeps me from turning it, much as I want to keep my car. :(

Yeah, at least till age 4 is the current recommendation. We’ve got 2 kids, both rear-facing and in my TSX wagon it’s fine when I’m driving, but if I’m the passenger (6’ 2”) it’s not exactly pleasant. But I’m stubborn and refuse to replace my car. I’ve managed 3 hr trips in that or her Jetta sedan as a passenger and it’s not been the worst thing. We’ll be replacing hers soon with a CR-V anyway, since they don’t make affordable reliable wagons anymore, and she actually wants the extra ride height.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

e; nm

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chu020 posted:

Yeah, at least till age 4 is the current recommendation. We’ve got 2 kids, both rear-facing and in my TSX wagon it’s fine when I’m driving, but if I’m the passenger (6’ 2”) it’s not exactly pleasant. But I’m stubborn and refuse to replace my car. I’ve managed 3 hr trips in that or her Jetta sedan as a passenger and it’s not been the worst thing. We’ll be replacing hers soon with a CR-V anyway, since they don’t make affordable reliable wagons anymore, and she actually wants the extra ride height.

This idea comes from Sweden, btw, about rear facing safety being worth infinite inconvenience, bc it causes zero inconvenience in a full size Volvo

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wife's transmission problems were actually just brake and alignment issues interacting to make bizarre noises

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Any final thoughts on RAV/CR-V/Forester/CX-5/mystery car before I go out and buy one? Wildcard sedan/wagon options?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sure I’ll throw in the Regal TourX I think you can get one for under 30k otd

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

My 2006 Yaris finally died so I'm looking at replacing it with a newer 'yota hatchback.

I'm trying to decide between a new 2019 Yaris LE, or a used 2018 Corolla iM with 28,000km for $800 cheaper. Any thoughts?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Get a Civic hatch instead? The ‘19 Corolla iMs have much better reviews than the ‘18s. That said, the Civic hatches look (and likely perform) way better than either Corolla.

As you go up in trims, Toyotas are better bang for the buck. I think the real tough choices appear when you’re comparing a ‘19 iM vs ‘18 Civic Hatch. If it’s ‘18 iM... Civic all the way.

DNK fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 14, 2019

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Civic is out of my price range. If I was getting a Honda it would have to be a Fit (Which I'm not opposed to). The only reason the Corolla is in my range is that a dealership nearby has one on trade.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermos posted:

Civic is out of my price range. If I was getting a Honda it would have to be a Fit (Which I'm not opposed to). The only reason the Corolla is in my range is that a dealership nearby has one on trade.

What is your budget?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

What is your budget?

Toyota, apparently

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thermos posted:

My 2006 Yaris finally died so I'm looking at replacing it with a newer 'yota hatchback.

I'm trying to decide between a new 2019 Yaris LE, or a used 2018 Corolla iM with 28,000km for $800 cheaper. Any thoughts?

I'm assuming both of those have the full toyota safety suite?

I'd get the Corolla iM. Its a good car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thermos posted:

you can and should shop outside of your immediate local market especially if your local market is small and lovely

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Thermopyle posted:

What is your budget?

Under 20 grand CDN. Been looking at Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, etc but it seems like an "Ask 10 people, get 11 different answers" scenario. My Yaris treated me well so I figured I'd get another one unless there's a huge reason not to, or if the Corolla would be a much better buy for the money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

upgrading to a corolla is roughly like the difference between going from fred flintstones car to a bentley

but you should really fill out the template because it is very useful for you and us

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thermos posted:

Under 20 grand CDN. Been looking at Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, etc but it seems like an "Ask 10 people, get 11 different answers" scenario. My Yaris treated me well so I figured I'd get another one unless there's a huge reason not to, or if the Corolla would be a much better buy for the money.

What's Korean pricing like there? The Kia Forte looks pretty great now, and could be cheaper. I'd encourage you to drive at least 2 other cars before you just buy a Toyota, especially if you're going to keep it another 15 years.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

upgrading to a corolla is roughly like the difference between going from fred flintstones car to a bentley

but you should really fill out the template because it is very useful for you and us

Proposed Budget: $20,000 CDN
New or Used: Either
Body Style: sub-compact hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, hauling dogs and bikes
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and long-term costs. I plan to keep it for a long time and put on a ton of miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

buy the most prius you can afford

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If ever this common answer was the rightest, this is that time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hauling dogs and bikes sounds miserable in a sub compact.

Also

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Came here to write, "Prius."

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Yaris is maybe the worst car I've ever driven and definitely the worst modern car

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

shovelbum posted:

The Yaris is maybe the worst car I've ever driven and definitely the worst modern car

Ive driven an 07 Yaris for a bit and it had power nothing but was pretty comical to drive. 5 speed, aux in, alloy wheels was plenty when you’re young. The clutch was insanely light though, I could never get it going smoothly

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Thanks for the advice guys. Seems like used Prius in my price range are slim pickings here in NS, but I'll get to looking and saving to hopefully increase my budget a bit.

Is this a decent deal?
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/...%201E5&sprx=100

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

shovelbum posted:

says the guy who aint driven a versa

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thermos posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. Seems like used Prius in my price range are slim pickings here in NS, but I'll get to looking and saving to hopefully increase my budget a bit.

Is this a decent deal?
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/...%201E5&sprx=100

looks decent, but i am not a strong person on the canadian market - one of our canadian posters can probably give you better pricing info. NS is kind of like an island so pricing is probably kind of wacky.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

says the guy who aint driven a versa

Or the Mitsubishi Mirage G4. What a hateful little car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m convinced anyone that buys a new Mitsubishi is human garbage and you can’t convince me otherwise. If I see someone in a new Mitsubishi there is almost a 100% chance they’re driving like a complete fuckhead imitating 2F2F on residential roads.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m convinced anyone that buys a new Mitsubishi is human garbage and you can’t convince me otherwise. If I see someone in a new Mitsubishi there is almost a 100% chance they’re driving like a complete fuckhead imitating 2F2F on residential roads.

the new eclipse and outlander are all over rental car lots

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They still make the Eclipse?

*pulls up the website*

The Eclipse is an SUV? :psyduck:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I've seen quite a few Outlander PHEVs lately, they seem to have touched on something, I'm not sure what exactly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I've seen quite a few Outlander PHEVs lately, they seem to have touched on something, I'm not sure what exactly.

CUV that is a PHEV, 22 miles of EV range, and is cheap ($35K), not much to it really. It is class leading because there isn't really anything else. The Pacifica PHEV is a lot more money and a lot more car, the Niro is about the same price but smaller, 17 miles of highway range, and worse performance. That's pretty much it for practical more-than-a-sedan-or-hatchback non-lux PHEVs.

edit: god drat you can get a 0.0% rate over 72 on it, that's pretty decent. also forgot that it's AWD. your other AWD PHEV choice is like the crosstrek.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 14, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Where's my Crosstrek xt

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Where's my Crosstrek xt

Eventually, Subaru will do this but make it CVT-only and cost 40k.

And then use the lack of sales to justify never doing it again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah but those are rentals, not a purchase

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Went to Subaru dealer today, drove a new Forester, nice car but I feel like I'm not "getting"something

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

shovelbum posted:

Went to Subaru dealer today, drove a new Forester, nice car but I feel like I'm not "getting"something

Cars are like any other consumer product. What works for one person may not necessarily work for you.

I've never been a huge fan of the Outback that my wife loves, but to each their own. At least oil changes are easy on it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Test drove some other compact crossovers and I "get" the Forester now. Though I still don't get why they'd even offer a "sport" that has nothing sporty, looks like it's still wrapped in orange packing materials, and isn't in any way an XT. Also the subie dealer was a lot more reasonable about dealer installed options etc. than the other places and if I weren't in a hurry I would've bought one that's coming in a few weeks from those guys.