Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

HM: Tomohiro Ishii, KENTA, YOSHI-HASHI vs Guerillas of Destiny and Fale, NJPW G1 Final
History was made during and after this match

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC Kota Ibushi vs Jay White G1 29 Finals Aug 12

I Before E posted:

MOTYC: Okada and Tanahashi/Suzuki and ZSJ, G1 8/12

Just a phenomenal match with a beautiful ending

Nth

lost my old email posted:

it was dumb and bad

Don’t sign your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

New Japan increased their MOTY nominations from 34 for the year so far to an extra 35 for the G1 Climax alone :stare:

Which also makes their current MOTY total 69 :c00l:

Just as Taguchi returned. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Yota Tsuji and Ren Narita vs. Karl Fredericks and Clark Connors, G1 Climax Final, 12/08
HM: KENTA, Tomohiro Ishii and YOSHI-HASHI vs. G.O.D. and Bad Luck Fale, G1 Climax Final, 12/08
HM: Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr., G1 Climax Final, 12/08
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White, G1 Climax Final, 12/08

Definitely Switchblade's best match of the G1, maybe his best match ever? The last ten minutes were such an insane ride :allears:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rarity posted:

HM: Yota Tsuji and Ren Narita vs. Karl Fredericks and Clark Connors, G1 Climax Final, 12/08
HM: KENTA, Tomohiro Ishii and YOSHI-HASHI vs. G.O.D. and Bad Luck Fale, G1 Climax Final, 12/08
HM: Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr., G1 Climax Final, 12/08

Definitely Switchblade's best match of the G1, maybe his best match ever? The last ten minutes were such an insane ride :allears:

nth. I was very into that young lions match as well. All four of those guys have a really bright future.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Rarity posted:

nth

Loved that main event. It's probably not to everyone's taste, but that match felt like some good old fashioned pro wrestling to me. A deliberate, story heavy start setting the ground work to an electrifying last 10 minutes where everyone in the stadium was praying (and screaming) for the right man to triumph. There were better matches in this tournament, but it was still a worthy match to finish it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Jerusalem posted:

9 of those 35 were from Ishii too.

Ishii has 14 MOTYCs this year. Ishii has almost as many MOTYCs to his name as WWE/NXT as a combined unit do :aaa:

he's the true Best Bout Machine

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

[b]HM: Yota Tsuji and Ren Narita vs. Karl Fredericks and Clark Connors, G1 Climax Final, 12/08

I guess I should nth these matches too, because they definitely are worth an HM.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

he's the true Best Bout Machine

He's pretty great.

Working out SA's wrestler of the year so far (based on nominations for MOTY).
Not counting battle royales, there are 153 wrestlers with at least one MOTY.
Only 1 non-New Japan wrestler with 4 or more MOTYs (Johnny Gargano)

The top 5 so far:

Kevino07 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 12, 2019

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
drat, Okada's only 4th? He really is having an off year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

drat, Okada's only 4th? He really is having an off year.

I feel like he’s had less singles matches this year than usual

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'd like to make a point for anybody combing through this thread for G1 recommendations: Do not sleep on Lance Archer. He's obviously not someone on the same level as someone like an Okada, or an Ospreay, or an Ishii, but he seriously defied everyone's expectations all tournament long, putting on matches that someone at his age, of his size, with his past injuries, should not be physically capable of doing, all while being an incredibly entertaining psycho monster heel. He was 7 for 9 on HMs, with the remaining two being a MOTYC (vs Ospreay) and an admittedly middling one near the very end with SANADA that they both seemed to be taking it easy for. If you were scrolling through the list of matches in the first posts and scoffing at the idea of Lance Archer vs Bad Luck Fale or Lance Archer vs EVIL being worth watching I suggest you reconsider because he was a genuine highlight.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like he’s had less singles matches this year than usual

He might have had more because he was in the NJC for the first time since... well, it’s definitely been a while since he’s been champ for most of the recent ones. But you’re right that it feels like he’s done less, that is true.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Rarity posted:

nth

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

8/10:
HM: KENTA vs ZSJ, KENTA daring ZSJ to slap him only to duck it and nail him was amazing.
MOTYC: Tanahashi vs Will "The Thrill" Ospreay, great great match
MOTYC: Ibushi vs Okada, fantastic match, great finish.

8/11:

MOTYC: Taichi vs Ishii, For the first half of the match I thought this was the not so great Taichi in a great match. His strikes didn't look great, but he was still there for it. Then everything clicked and the second half was phenomenal with everything he did looking good.
HM: Shingo vs Goto
HM: Naito vs White

Nth all these. I would also be inclined to almost give ZSJ vs KENTA motyc but it definitely deserves HM. The crowd starting to turn on KENTA was unexpected.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
G1 Climax Final:

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.
MOTYC:Jay White vs. Kota Ibushi

EAT poo poo SWITCHBLADE

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

HM: Rush vs Caristico, CMLL Arena Puebla, 8/12

Extremely fun brawl between the two best wrestlers in the world rn with one of the best endings I’ve seen in a match this year

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: Jay White vs Ibushi
MOTYC: Shingo vs Goto
MOTYC: Ishii vs Taichi

HM: Naito vs Jay White

Amazing G1 not sure how to rank this out of the three I saw

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think it’s the best one because any other year I’ve seen there’s usually a bit of a lull in quality in the middle where guys are hurting but it’s not like the end is in sight yet. This year they just powered through all 9 rounds. I *think* they were running slightly bigger buildings and better production throughout so maybe that’s why the guys didn’t feel like they should slow down at all

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've only seen two but this is definitely better than last year's. A-block was noticeably weaker than B-block in 2018. You know you're reaching when YOSHI-HASHI vs. Michael Elgin is one of the highlights.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Rollins/Lesnar

Quite probably Rollins' best singles match ever tbh

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Having only seen the last 3 G1s I'd put 29 about on par with 27 I think. All 3 Final matches were better in 27 (okada/omega, naito/tanahashi, naito/omega) but I think the block action for most of the tournament was slightly better in 29. Last year was really weird and lopsided and hard to judge.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

27 was probably the best wrestling tournament I have ever seen in my life, and possibly the greatest wrestling tournament there has ever been. Last year was fantastic too, but I think I'd put it slightly behind this year's which I would put slightly behind 2 years ago.

The BOSJ this year was also an absolutely incredible tournament, and this year's New Japan Cut was also great. I'm starting to think New Japan might be good at tournaments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

27 was probably the best wrestling tournament I have ever seen in my life, and possibly the greatest wrestling tournament there has ever been. Last year was fantastic too, but I think I'd put it slightly behind this year's which I would put slightly behind 2 years ago.

The BOSJ this year was also an absolutely incredible tournament, and this year's New Japan Cut was also great. I'm starting to think New Japan might be good at tournaments!

Steady on. Singles tournaments. Tag tournaments not so much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it's rough to expect that from Gedo, after all it's not like he made his career as a tag team wrestle.... wait a goddamn minute :thunk:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think the most aggravating thing is they could have a great tag division

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think the most aggravating thing is they could have a great tag division

Yup. No real excuse for it. Find Gedo an assistant or something, someone who can learn from him while getting a chance to put what he's learned into action with a hot tag division.

I still think they should just merge the 2 tag divisions but I doubt they'd get that radical.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'd be a fan of merging the heavyweight and jr. heavyweight divisions, but they really seem to have a thing about distinguishing between Heavyweight and Jr. Heavyweight.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I'd be a fan of merging the heavyweight and jr. heavyweight divisions, but they really seem to have a thing about distinguishing between Heavyweight and Jr. Heavyweight.

To be fair if you have R3K beating GOD on a regular basis then it ruins the whole divide in the singles divisions.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

To be fair if you have R3K beating GOD on a regular basis then it ruins the whole divide in the singles divisions.

Just hand wave it with some line on commentary about how it's different because it just means RPG3K are a better team so their working together counters the size difference which can't happen in the singles.

But yeah, it's not gonna happen

Also I feel bad for doing this derail in the MOTY thread

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

To go back on topic,

HM
Dragon Gate
The Gate of Adventure Day 2 afternoon show
4th August

Ben-K vs Kaito Ishida

I'll edit in a link to this match later but the long and short is it's real fun for a sprint, don't think it goes much more than 10 minutes, not exactly high stakes as the Dream Gate title isn't on the line. But it's fun and worth your time.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 14, 2019

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

NienNunb posted:

Extremely fun brawl between the two best wrestlers in the world rn with one of the best endings I’ve seen in a match this year

:same:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Rarity posted:

reminder that they did this match this year on a show already and r3k got their asses kicked

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Yes. nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Going to start going back to check some non-G1 action I missed. 3rd this because it's a very fun brawl even if personally I'm not overly enamoured with the finish.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WIll 4th Caristico vs Rush, that finish is done rarely enough that it made me laugh when Caristico did it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Soberano Jr, Templario, Gran Guerrero, and Euforia vs. Volador Jr, Cuatrero, Forastero, & Sanson, CMLL Liger Farewell (7/20) http://youtu.be/aoNOC-hgg6Y?t=01h00m35s

More very solid CMLL fun, with eight of their top workers putting on a fun display.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
HM Roman Reigns vs Buddy Murphy Smackdown 8/13
HM Oney Lorcan vs Drew Gulak 205 Live 8/13

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Angel de Oro & Niebla Roja vs. Euforia & Gran Guerrero, CMLL (7/30), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKWVJR779us&t=6247s

It's fun though it never really seems to get into top gear. But these are four really good wrestlers working in front of a hot crowd. Definitely worth your time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

From Dragon Gate's 8.7 Korakuen Hall show

MOTYC: YAMATO & KAI vs. Ben-K & Shun Skywalker

Started out as sort of a nothing match to set up a YAMATO/Ben-K title match at Dangerous Gate, but turned into a huge war where Ben and Yamato seemed to be legit trying to murder each other and it ruled.

Finally got the time to see this and I can give it the nth it deserves. And provide a link for those who've not seen it and are maybe waiting for something to watch between G1 and Royal Quest/All Out on the 31st.

Also from that show

HM
Dragon Gate
The Gate of Adventure 7th August

Natural Vibes (Kzy, Genki Horiguchu & Susumu Yokosuka) vs R.E.D. (Eita, Big R Shimizu & Yasushi Kanda)

This Natural Vibes trio are awesome together, terrific chemistry, R.E.D. held up their side as the prick bullies, it's a real fun Dragon Gate six-man tag

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Virus vs. Electrico, CMLL Puebla (8/5), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9fWzWWy0_o&t=2962s

A really great technical bout. Virus is a great heel and still a really good worker despite his age. This is the first time I've ever seen Electrico work and he's very good. The crowd was super hot for this and that elevated it from HM.