Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Victarion had a good bromance going on with that Darth Maul lookalike dude, I recall.

Also, I'm reading Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series and it's mentioned several times that petty criminals (thieves, poachers and the like) did routinely get forcibly conscripted into the Royal Navy as an alternative to jail, and if he wrote it then I'm sure it really happened. So maybe there's at least a bit of plausibility behind the concept of the Night's Watch. Although it's much harder to run away from a ship in the middle of the ocean than from an unwalled castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

A Typical Goon posted:

But on the other hand it was pretty smart when he hedged his bets and burned those 7 whores on the ship in the middle of an ocean as a sacrifice to the drowned god, the Red God and the Seven all at the same time

Was it? Usually, Gods tend to be fairly jealous, especially of sacrifices.

1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Say: O people of the Book, let us come to a common word between us, that we will not worship anything but Allah, we will not associate anything with Him, and we will not take one another as lords instead of Allah. But if they turn away, then say: Bear witness that we submit to Allah

Fear Allah the Exalted more than anything else, hope in Allah more intensely than you fear him, and love for people what you love for yourself.

Come and I will recite what your Lord has forbidden for you, that you not associate anything with Him, and be good to parents.

You certainly could make sacrifices to "the greek gods" but usually you sacrificed in the name of one particular God, and if you wanted to curry favor with multiple you offered multiple sacrifices.

Hindu gods do not prefer sacrifices at all; though that is merely one interpretation there are many others and certainly, at times many animal sacrifices were made to various Hindu deities.

Buddhism largely does away with exterior sacrifice, though I would argue that porper Buddhism is closer to a philosophy of self and mind than a religion, there are still greater path buddhists.

Chinese religious revolved largely around a system of ancestor worship, with sacrificial propitiation at various times.

Some of these relgions may not have had specific circumspections against "other-worship" but it seems like it violates the entire underlying principle behind sarifice if you can have you cake and eat it too, and eat it too.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
It hedges his bets if only one of those gods is "real"/actually has power, and the others aren't/don't.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kylaer posted:

It hedges his bets if only one of those gods is "real"/actually has power, and the others aren't/don't.

Only if that God is like, cool with him worshipping false idols and sacrificing in their name. This is not a common attribute of Gods.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Jewish god would be ecstatic about him rules lawyering religion like that though.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

Only if that God is like, cool with him worshipping false idols and sacrificing in their name. This is not a common attribute of Gods.

Victarion isn't much of a character that would try to put himself in the mind of a God though

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Moqorro didn't speak up about it, and he seems to have a pretty good handle on the will of R'hllor.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I only read DwD once so maybe I'm forgetting, but I don't remember him dedicating the sacrifice to any of the gods at all. He just performed it, who accepted it didn't matter.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kylaer posted:

I only read DwD once so maybe I'm forgetting, but I don't remember him dedicating the sacrifice to any of the gods at all. He just performed it, who accepted it didn't matter.

He definitely has both gods in mind.

quote:

He kissed them each upon the cheeks and told them of the honor that awaited them, though they did not understand his words. Then he had them put aboard the fishing ketch that they had captured, cut her loose, and had her set afire.

“With this gift of innocence and beauty, we honor both the gods,” he proclaimed, as the warships of the Iron Fleet rowed past the burning ketch. “Let these girls be reborn in light, undefiled by mortal lust, or let them descend to the Drowned God’s watery halls, to feast and dance and laugh until the seas dry up.”"

It's actually interesting how none of Victarion's crew, who you'd imagine to be a bunch of staunch Drowned God believers, give a poo poo about his syncreticism. Obviously they don't like Moqorro, but Victarion's worship of R'hllor isn't treated like a slight to the drowned god.

Melisandre definitely believes that you have to choose a god and stick with Him, but she's basically the only character who you might call a fundamentalist. We don't really hear about societies killing each other over religion. In Essos pretty much every religion exists side-by-side, and in Westeros there are R'hllor, Old God, Seven, Drowned God, and Rhoyne worshippers all hanging out and interbreeding without scandal. This seems like the logical conclusion of a world where magic/religion is real - even if you don't worship a god, you can't deny their powers, so you might think of a god as "wrong" (a line westerosi characters use against both the seven and the old gods) but it's not offensive to acknowledge other gods as real and potentially powerful because they probably are

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 9, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Not gonna lie, the Victarion chapters alone are worth the books

Here comes a dumb armor-wearing insane viking not realizing most of anything around him, and he's so much FUN to read

The Victarion chapters is more like "here comes a dumb armor-wearing viking who constantly piss and moans about his older brother".

Kylaer posted:

Also, I'm reading Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series and it's mentioned several times that petty criminals (thieves, poachers and the like) did routinely get forcibly conscripted into the Royal Navy as an alternative to jail, and if he wrote it then I'm sure it really happened.
Yeah, that was definitely a thing that happened:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressment

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 9, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So apparently D&D got a huge production deal from Netflix, so they can fail to replicate the success of Thrones over there. Which means that HBO is scrapping the plan to make Confederate, thank god.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Victarion is the best new PoV character and super compelling despite being dumb boat trash, and I cannot wait for him to blow the dragonhorn

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kylaer posted:

Also, I'm reading Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series and it's mentioned several times that petty criminals (thieves, poachers and the like) did routinely get forcibly conscripted into the Royal Navy as an alternative to jail, and if he wrote it then I'm sure it really happened.

It could actually be rather worse than that, though what you describe did happen, and indeed was done to benefit private concerns as well as the royal navy.

Every major dockyard was fringed with the sorts of businesses that catered to sailors: cheap boarding houses, taverns and bars, varieties of both that also functioned as brothels etc. They refined the art of siphoning every coin the sailors earned from their voyages; and if the sailors spent themselves out of pay and ended up in debt, they'd be hauled off to the gaol. the gaolers had deals with mercantile companies and individual ship captains, and acted as middle-men to facilitate those companies' and captains' purchase of the gaoled sailors' debts. The sailors were 'freed' only to be carted off to a new ship, where they worked under indenture until they paid off their debt. The slaver ships that sailed the Atlantic trade routes were known to be such a brutal, unpleasant and dangerous job that very few rank-and-file sailors willingly signed up to work them; they got most of their manpower in the form of these indentured sailors.

Most of the crews from the golden age of Atlantic piracy in the 17th and 18th century were indentured sailors who killed their free officers and took over the ship. I wish I could recall the name but one of the most notorious such crews, which was eventually hunted down by the Royal navy, began when the indentured crew of a slave ship mutinied not far from the African coast, turned the ship around, let all the slaves in their hold out on the beach, and started preying on other slave ships just beginning the long voyage to the New World colonies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sounds like Bartholomew Roberts.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Since it seems like this thread is mostly barely limping along I thought it'd be fun to provoke a heated discussion about what the sins of ASoIaF are. Feel free to quibble over what you think are or are not sins or just post your own.

In my opinion...

Major Sins:
Books written way to slow. Not really a sin of the books themselves, but the author, but I think this has definitely impacted how the characters are portrayed and how plots develop. I can only assume Martin has forgotten a lot of stuff over the years, the impression I get is he isn't really actively working on them, but rather other stuff, most of the time, then he spends a lot of time "getting back into the world"
Numbers too big: armies too big, populations too large, wall too big, history too long
Characters too young: a lot of the characters are really young (or really old) it feels very artificial to me, Arya was like 10 the first time she straight-up murdered a guard (not the kid she killed virtually by accident) they don't really talk or act like children of that age, but it does essentially force you to find them sympathetic, because they're just kids (this is basically a fantasy sci-fi trope, see Enders Game, for example)
Society doesn't change: This is an absolute fantasy trope, but the age of "knights in shining armor" only really lasted maybe 200 years, maybe 400 depending on how you look at it. There are lines about how "there were knights before there were knights etc.." but it's pretty clear that feudalism has gone on for quite some time in Westeros
Institutions don't really make sense: Night's Watch has supposedly existed for longer than Human history on Earth (though that gets disputed). You could argue that Maesters are contributing to societal ossification, but there's not any implication they are keeping people from inventing things, merely they are soaking up most of the educated people in Westeros. But I don't think the history of technology was really driven by "academic" people for most of history. Gutenberg was a trade worker, not a scholar. The printing press was invented to make money, not for a love of knowledge. Franklin was something of a scholar, but Edison again was after money. Thomas Newcom was an ironmonger. From Tyrion and Brans chapters it's clear that the nobility was literate and somewhat educated, and there's not real explanation for why they're not innovating things.
Relgions/Gods don't really make sense: They exist side by side and none of them really seem to care about the other. The history of Humanity on Earth is largely one of the people killing each other for worshipping the wrong deities. You can argue that because magic is real it proves all gods are real, but Catholics were definitely killing people they believed had magic powers because those powers came from the wrong source. I'd argue that actual magic would make people more xenophobic prone to religious violence, crusades, and pogroms, not less. Also the seven don't seem to be able to grant magic powers the way the Red God and God of Death do. It seems like religions with actual magic would out-compete those without.
The motivation of the white walkers: the true existential threat doesn't really make any sense. Why are the Others suddenly active, but haven't been for thousands of years? Maybe this would be explained in the books that'll never be finished.
The Starks are stupid: The first book reads kind of like a comedy of errors as the Yorkists stumble around inciting a war, How has a dynasty this politically inept survived for thousands of years? Maybe Ned is an outlier. And Catelyn. And Robb.
Iron islands make no sense: They are tiny islands of reavers who have a massive gently caress-off fleet and preyed on an entire continent. Why did nobody ever just put them to the sword and install a cousin as lord of the iron isles? Maybe this happened and it's just not covered in the books.
Minor sins:
Dragons are dumb: I mostly just think dragons are dumb.
Cannibal Watch: What are they going to do when they get to the wall with Biter and Rorge exactly?
Night's Watch: How do you keep people on a nasty cold dangerous wall, when they could just flee and pretend to be from a shipwreck or something.
How do you catch a magic faceless man: How did Jaqen Hagar the faceless man get caught anyway?
Flora and Fauna: Winter apparently lasts for years and years (as does summer) yet there's basically no difference from Medieval European flora and fauna. On Earth peasants starved to death routinely in normal winters. How does a medieval society (with huge cities) survive a 2-year winter, let alone a 3 or 4 year one?

Those were all the ones that occurred to me in one sitting.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

My main problem is that the series is written too slowly for something that is a relatively ordinary fantasy series.

AGoT is basically the war of the roses with dragons and just like other fantasy series like Eddings, Tad Williams, Jordan and so on, it will fade and just become another series. Some memes will remain, but those will be attributed to the TV series.

As for the inconsistencies in the fantastic world, that is the normal case for a fantasy series and I find it amusing that someone tries to make extensive logic of this.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kit is not 5,8.

Someone link that picture where he's holding a milkshake and looking like someone's abandoned kid at the mall. If he had placed it on the ground the milkshake would have reached his knees.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's been tons of religions that existed side by side peacefully. Killing people because they worshipped the wrong god was mostly an invention of late antiquity.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You didn't go to Egypt and diss Anubis even if you worshipped Thor because that was an excellent way to convince Anubis to smite your dumb rear end.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pseudanonymous posted:

The Starks are stupid: The first book reads kind of like a comedy of errors as the Yorkists stumble around inciting a war, How has a dynasty this politically inept survived for thousands of years? Maybe Ned is an outlier. And Catelyn. And Robb.

Ned is an outlier, he's one of the vanishingly few Northern lords with any actual courtly education. All their bannermen are useless, passive rubes like the Cerwyns, Umbers, and Pipers who just go along with the Boltons despite having their kin slain, until another southerner like Stannis or Wyman Manderly offers them a better deal.

edit: the worst part is that only Ned knows the worth of Howland Reed

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 12, 2019

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So i finally read the books, and i thought they were entertaining. Really couldve done without a lot of the rape, misogyny, and racism, but since i wasnt waiting for the books i wasnt really disappointed by them. The last two were fine, i guess, and if he never writes anymore then thats also fine.
I was surprised that say, Jon threatens a loving baby (I think?), and it was tedious to read 18000 pages of Tyrion going "DO I LOVE THE WHORE??? NO DONT BE SILLY YOU FOOL YOU CANNOT LOVE THE WHORE" like some incel forum...but otherwise I liked a lot of the differences. Well, other than everything being made infinitely creepier because they're younger than in the show.
Clash of Kings or whatever the gently caress was good, I really liked Theon's chapters and him almost joining the Night's Watch is my favorite What If.

Basically though im curious if anyone can recommend series to read now that Im done that might satisfy in some of the same epic ways ASOIAF does when its good. Like anything that is up to par with martin's decent writing ability, since i assume most fantasy is garbage.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mameluke posted:

edit: the worst part is that only Ned knows the worth of Howland Reed

D&D didn't.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So i finally read the books, and i thought they were entertaining. Really couldve done without a lot of the rape, misogyny, and racism, but since i wasnt waiting for the books i wasnt really disappointed by them. The last two were fine, i guess, and if he never writes anymore then thats also fine.
I was surprised that say, Jon threatens a loving baby (I think?), and it was tedious to read 18000 pages of Tyrion going "DO I LOVE THE WHORE??? NO DONT BE SILLY YOU FOOL YOU CANNOT LOVE THE WHORE" like some incel forum...but otherwise I liked a lot of the differences. Well, other than everything being made infinitely creepier because they're younger than in the show.
Clash of Kings or whatever the gently caress was good, I really liked Theon's chapters and him almost joining the Night's Watch is my favorite What If.

Jon only threatens the baby so Gilly would give him up, he wouldn't have actually done anything. Half the reason he gets stabbed is because he (stupidly) keeps going out his way to protect randoms cause he's basically Ned and all Starks are dumb

Wait thinking about it maybe it's like the Simpsons and only the male starks are idiots

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also id say because he seems to think the saying is "keep your friends far and your enemies really close"

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

Jon only threatens the baby so Gilly would give him up, he wouldn't have actually done anything. Half the reason he gets stabbed is because he (stupidly) keeps going out his way to protect randoms cause he's basically Ned and all Starks are dumb

Wait thinking about it maybe it's like the Simpsons and only the male starks are idiots

Lyanna was seemingly like Jon (makes sense) - a good person but someone who's kinda dumb and acts before thinking. If she'd bothered to send a raven to someone explaining that she and Rhaegar were hooking up consensually, a shitton of people would still be alive

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really appreciate Theon just being like "Well, Maester Luwin might be talking sense, I DO already have a buncha black clothes..." before Ramsay had to ruin it all.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also id say because he seems to think the saying is "keep your friends far and your enemies really close"

Also because he knows he's surrounded by thieves and killers, his mentor was killed by rebellious brothers, he's repeatedly told to keep his wolf close, the wolf saved his life at least once, and his response is to chain the wolf the hell away from him.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

quote:

It seems like religions with actual magic would out-compete those without.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and honestly I can imagine it the other way around.The faith of the seven is totally based around assigning and validating people's places in society and codifying their mutual obligations and hierarchies - it kind of looks like Christianity with the seven-gods-who-are-one thing, but it's also like Confucianism in its focus on modeling and organizing family and society. Meanwhile, a society where too many people have access to magic is like a society where too many people have access to guns, or nukes, or dragons. It's dangerous and unstable. Imagine Westeros if every lord had a red priest as powerful as Melisandre - they'd all be dead. I think this is why Aegon I chose to endorse and join the faith of the seven even though he had to know that there were religions with genuine magic power.

Also, the magic/non-magic religion gap is much more pronounced in the books than in the history just before the books, because magic is coming back.

Also also - you don't need a magical religion to work magic; the westerosi still have magic. Wildfire is magic, and dragons are magic. They just keep it separate from religion, which is why the ruling house (Targeryan/Baratheon) is able to completely monopolize it.

quote:

I think this is a bit harsh. The Starks aren't dumb, they're just completely unprepared for Southron politics. In books 4 and 5 we see that, up in the North, Ned was actually a pretty good lord - everyone loved him enough that a shitton of people (the Manderlys, the mountain clans, the skagosi, the reeds) are risking everything to avenge his death and put the Starks back in power. But he's used to northern politics - he doesn't know how things are done down south, and he doesn't know the people. His sense of politics is that the #1 goal is maintaining continuity and never giving anyone reason to doubt your trustworthiness, constantly reaffirming that the Starks have your back. Jon explains all this to Stannis, who's much more used to southern politics - which shows that Ned cared enough about his job that Jon Snow picked up on it and got some sense of how to do it.

In the south Ned has to start from scratch, and he knows that if he acts dishonorably or even unpredictably, he's not only risking his life but also imperiling the millennia-old Stark brand, which is that you can always count on them to do the right thing, and the things they say they'll do. That's an asset in the north and a liability in the south, where the Stark name is worthless.

And if we look at how that turned out - yes, obviously things could have gone better. But the Lannister, Frey, Bolton, and Baelish names have stains that might never wash out and the Baratheons have been evicted from Dragonstone and the Stormlands without anyone really giving a poo poo, while people are fighting to put Starks back in Winterfell. Who's the real idiot?

quote:

Iron islands make no sense: They are tiny islands of reavers who have a massive gently caress-off fleet and preyed on an entire continent. Why did nobody ever just put them to the sword and install a cousin as lord of the iron isles? Maybe this happened and it's just not covered in the books.

First off, the iron islands only just started reaving Westeros again. The Targs outlawed it, so for the past 300 years they've been reaving Essos. Not great for Westerosi-Essosi trade and diplomacy, but it's not nearly as bad as if they were still trying to make the Lannisters into salt wives.

But still - it IS weird to allow them to have a completely distinct way of life. This is kind-of addressed in the history of the Targs spinoff book - some Greyjoy lord paramount put down a rebellion, and the Targ on the Iron Throne asked what he could do as repayment. The Greyjoy asked that the Targ remove all the septons from the iron islands. So basically they're allowed to stay viking because the Targs saw that one day the Iron Throne might need some vikings for war/assassinating people with plausible deniability.

Also, the Iron Islands suck. You can't grow crops or wood. So there's not much reason to send a bunch of troops and boats to totally pacify them. You have to permanently subsidize their economy and deal with constant revolts, and you wouldn't get anything out of it unless there's an iron shortage - and they'll be producing less iron than ever before because you killed a lot of them and presumably freed the thralls.

And keep in mind, the Iron Islands have a disproportionately large and competent military and fleet. Yes, you can put them down like with Balon's rebellion, but a lot of westerosi troops would get killed and a ton of westerosi ships would get burned before they made shore.Then, if you really want to turn them into "normal" westerosi people, you have to occupy them for a generation or two so that they don't just keep doing the old way. You can't do that with a reserve army.

There is a spot of hope here: Baelor Blacktyde, lord of Blacktyde, got captured in the Greyjoy Rebellion as a kid, and made a hostage in Oldtown. When he came back to the Iron Islands, he was a genuine follower of the Seven. I guess you could try to kidnap everyone of influence in the Iron Islands and their families, kill the adults, raise as many kids as possible to be normal seven-worshippers, and then release them back and hope that they keep up the good habits. But they kinda tried that with Theon and it was a complete disaster because he predictably chose his actual family, and the islands he's going to inherit, over a bunch of dudes who kidnapped him and killed his brothers.

So basically, the iron islands are a problem without a good solution, and a worthless shithole full of assholes, and unless they're raiding you or you want them to raid someone else, there's nothing worth doing about them. I imagine that everyone just liked to think about them as little as possible, which was pretty feasible under the Pax Targeryan.

quote:

How do you catch a magic faceless man: How did Jaqen Hagar the faceless man get caught anyway?

He probably tried to get captured so he could get to the wall. But that just opens up the question of what business he had at the wall, and why he didn't get back to it after leaving Harrenhall. That at least makes more sense than a faceless man getting caught by the gold cloaks.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 13, 2019

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I really appreciate Theon just being like "Well, Maester Luwin might be talking sense, I DO already have a buncha black clothes..." before Ramsay had to ruin it all.

Presenting a potentially good future and then pulling the rug out from the character and the reader is a trope GRRM loves, it kind of gets repetitive but this is one of the best ones

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Lyanna was seemingly like Jon (makes sense) - a good person but someone who's kinda dumb and acts before thinking. If she'd bothered to send a raven to someone explaining that she and Rhaegar were hooking up consensually, a shitton of people would still be alive

lyanna cannot consent to being married dude. she's a woman in feudalism. she was a piece of very valuable property stolen

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

violent sex idiot posted:

lyanna cannot consent to being married dude. she's a woman in feudalism. she was a piece of very valuable property stolen

Sure, the starks would still be pissed, but not "the-prince-is-raping-my-daughter/sister" levels of pissed. Lyanna being Rhaegar's consort robs Lord Rickard of a potential alliance with Bobby Baratheon, but noble women have been consorts to the king/prince for a long time. There's precedent that you don't go nuts over it, you just call your daughter an rear end in a top hat and move on. Or you change plans to exploit your daughter's closeness to the king. It's a huge headache, like the headache Tywin had when Jaime joined the Kingsguard - but he didn't go to war over that. He went to war right away when Tyrion was arrested, because there's a difference between "you allowed my kid to gently caress up my political plans" and "you're holding my kid prisoner and may well rape/kill them," especially when it comes to convincing your vassals to lend you soldiers. Going to war to save your liege's child from abduction and rape is an obvious choice, but what about going to war against the king over a single broken betrothal? none of Aegon IV's mistresses had a war launched to preserve their maidenhead. Maybe you'll still take part, but not nearly as enthusiastically.

Brandon and Rickard got executed because they ran into the red keep and demanded that Rhaegar "come out and die." They went from 0 to Treason immediately without any planning or hesitation. That makes a lot of sense if you think Rhaegar is literally keeping your daughter/sister hostage right now, but it's a less intuitive reaction to hearing that Rhaegar and Lyanna have started a politically inconvenient affair.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 13, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm just gonna leave this here so we can all remember when the show actually added good supplemental material and had really good sets/costumes. Man, I was so full of hope after that first season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6GW03WsFgU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
honestly it's pretty good for the Stark brand that everyone thinks Rhaegar literally kidnapped Lyanna. If Lyanna actually decided "screw Robert, I'm getting with Rhaegar," then the Starks are pretty clearly the bad guys of Robert's Rebellion - they make a marriage pact that they don't honor, try to kill the heir to the throne over a misunderstanding, and then go to war when the king naturally responds by having the traitors executed. Obviously Aerys was crazy and he should've executed them in a less crazy way, but once you've run into the royal palace screaming about how you're going to kill the prince, it has to be an automatic death penalty. Ned was lucky that Aerys didn't try taking his lands, considering how insanely the Starks acted.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
he never had a plan

it was always going nowhere

all those years wasted

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

nankeen posted:

he never had a plan

it was always going nowhere

all those years wasted

The real story was the posts we made along the way.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"What if the Iraq War, but with 600 lb slavers..." is a thought i admire and bless the weird bearded man for
Less so whenever he tries to write sex or female characters

CERSEI: "HEY SANSA DID YOU KNOW THAT WOMEN ALSO HAVE A WEAPON ITS CALLED A PUSSY. YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH HUH??? DUDES HAVE SWORDS TOO AND BY THAT I MEAN THEIR DIIIIIIIICK"
I know she was drunk and besieged but it wasnt hard for lena headey to make cersei more "real"

Also there were so many food jokes id heard before i read the books that when i did it really didnt seem like he was writing about a whole lotta food. I expected tolkien level tedium.
Lot of eating dogs though...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

The real story was the posts we made along the way.

Hey now, a bunch of goons wrote an entire book mocking all the rape GRRM wrote about, so something productive came out of this whole endeavor. ...and then one of them actually did rape someone, but details details amirite?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Aerys did demand that Jon arryn turn ned and bobby over to him, so he was gunna kill that kid

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

First off, the iron islands only just started reaving Westeros again. The Targs outlawed it, so for the past 300 years they've been reaving Essos. Not great for Westerosi-Essosi trade and diplomacy, but it's not nearly as bad as if they were still trying to make the Lannisters into salt wives.

tbf it seems like most of the ironborn reaving happens in the Stepstones (a political No Man's Land that's full of other types of pirate anyway), other out-of-the-way islands, or far-flung parts of Essos the westerosi don't have much diplomatic contact with.

if they were raiding the Free Cities, which are westeros's regular trade partners, I imagine the crown would have been pressured into doing something about it long since. That or the huge Braavosi or Volantene navies would have taken care of it themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Ironborn, noted pirates and raiders, possessing the mightiest navy, have no access to timber on their islands.