Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Fellas is it gay to liken beauty to a guy you met on the beach? Is it gay to make it your goal to touch his balls one more time? Is it g
Jokes aside I like that Johnny's motive for embarking on this journey is specifically tied to Gyro and his abilities. These two men are together for a reason and their relationship is important, they're not just partying up so they can deal with The Plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not. there's the occasional comment like that whenever sandman is involved, and i think it's mostly just limited to like. actually mainly the initial bits we've already seen? it's mostly just a weird combo of araki writing old-timey white people and his own weird brand of bafflingly ill-informed bullshit that he pulls out every now and then like anything related to india or wherever in part 3.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think it’s also Araki showing how different Sandman is from the rest of his tribe, like the books.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's not. there's the occasional comment like that whenever sandman is involved, and i think it's mostly just limited to like. actually mainly the initial bits we've already seen? it's mostly just a weird combo of araki writing old-timey white people and his own weird brand of bafflingly ill-informed bullshit that he pulls out every now and then like anything related to india or wherever in part 3.

Yeah...I get that Japan doesn't exactly have a great track record in representing the rest of the world (hell, the US doesn't even do anything remotely nearing "a good job" representing Native peoples...) but that really soured me in less than 2 minutes of this read-along.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's kindof an odd comment in the first chapter because the next time we see him he's using a different technique that achieves far superior results to white person running.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If it helps motivate you, Sandman gets a lot of the attention on him frontloaded in the early chapters.

Also, I totally forgot that introduction that Gyro had been practicing in the desert before he even arrived at the race.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 13, 2019

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

quick mention in case anyone else missed it like I did at first, be sure to check for the "extra story" chapters that are only available in black and white (I think?) like this one between chapters 11 and 12:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Love Dio’s jockey riding style too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

jivjov posted:

So, uh, really not sure how I feel about the first few pages going into great detail about how "the white man's running style" is way better than anything native Americans can do...please tell me this isn't a running theme of the part?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's kindof an odd comment in the first chapter because the next time we see him he's using a different technique that achieves far superior results to white person running.
It makes sense if you think of the fact that Sandman wouldn't use his people's style of running to get away from his own people, but when he's actually in the race, he uses it to own these white people.

I'm not going to say that Araki is actually a secret race genius, but I do think part of this is really intentional. To make us look at the sudden intersection of cultures in America as the world starts to get much, much smaller. The page at the very beginning giving details about the era and the inventions of the era is something to keep in mind going forward. Steel Ball Run is intentionally a period piece.

I haven't actually done my reading yet, but when I do, I'll try and bring some questions too!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jivjov posted:

Yeah...I get that Japan doesn't exactly have a great track record in representing the rest of the world (hell, the US doesn't even do anything remotely nearing "a good job" representing Native peoples...) but that really soured me in less than 2 minutes of this read-along.

yeah, unfortunately there's not really any way to excuse it even if my previous post kind of seemingly tries to pinpoint why it is the way it is. it's difficult to tell just how much of it may or may not be araki being ignorant or him trying to write ignorant people in the late 1800's. that said it's not something that pops up much and part of that is at least due to sandman not exactly being a primary character. there's some stuff in the part that i'm DEFINITELY not a fan of that i would classify as more of a prevalent issue which i'll actually briefly sum up, context-free and basically spoiler-free, for anyone who cares to see it in the spoiler below, just as a heads up.

there's a note made of lucy steel being 14 years old. she's married to stephen steel, who is definitely not that young himself. oddly enough that fact isn't really the 'bad' part because there's story given as to why it's a thing and ultimately it's just some benign thing they did to keep her from a lovely end and stephen even makes it clear there won't be any bullshit that happens between the two of them. the main issue comes in when araki does his usual thing of using threatening and sometimes sexual situations as a threat against characters to establish horror and it happens between lucy steel and other characters at times. think back to baby face in part 5. not in terms of similar events but more just the sort of horror aspect he was going for, i guess.

i don't view araki as being the type to do this because he gets a kick out of it, because it's oddly never comes off that way and lord knows there's plenty of mangaka who are just blatantly horny about poo poo, i just think he's really weird on trying to draw out tension and horror in lovely ways without taking into account how some people have possibly been affected in similar ways, and if i had one wish in regards to part 7 it'd be to just outright remove all those scenarios. it's genuinely really sucky and i don't know why he does it.

i mainly put this forward because to some it might be a dealbreaker? i don't want someone to get invested and then get super disappointed by the spoilered stuff and heavily turned off, so it might be good to just get it out of the way early for those who would be sensitive to it. honestly i'm sort of affected by it myself, but it's by the strength of the rest of the part that i still enjoy it the most out of the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyro's Lessons:

Lesson 1: If you have the will, then do it.

Lesson 2: Work those muscles.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Waffleman_ posted:

Gyro's Lessons:

Lesson 1: If you have the will, then do it.

Lesson 2: Work those muscles.

Oh, yes, we should definitely be keeping track of Gyro's lessons. The Grand Unified Theory of Gyrology.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i do hope that a good bit of anime people get into the let's read, steel ball run genuinely has some of the best construction out of any jojo part and it's wild just how well some characters are executed

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The horses kneeling to Mountain Tim is such a sick bit

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Could someone explain how Mrs Robinson gets taken down to me? It seems that Gyro's steel balls attack the ground, and then somehow the force hits Mrs Robinson without damaging his horse? I think? Is it just a part of the spin, that it can 'spin around' targets? Is it a reference to Will Zeppeli punching a frog? I'm not sure I understand how Mrs Robinson is "synced with the vibrations of the revolutions", or even what exactly happens to him. It looks like he was hit by a bunch of cactus needles, maybe? Or did the steel balls hit him a bunch?

I'm definitely thinking too hard about this.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I also forgot the author's notes where Araki said that the money is in today's dollars, because $50,000,000 in 1890 money is well over a billion bucks today.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

dancingbears posted:

Could someone explain how Mrs Robinson gets taken down to me? It seems that Gyro's steel balls attack the ground, and then somehow the force hits Mrs Robinson without damaging his horse? I think? Is it just a part of the spin, that it can 'spin around' targets? Is it a reference to Will Zeppeli punching a frog? I'm not sure I understand how Mrs Robinson is "synced with the vibrations of the revolutions", or even what exactly happens to him. It looks like he was hit by a bunch of cactus needles, maybe? Or did the steel balls hit him a bunch?

I'm definitely thinking too hard about this.

Yeah, I was very confused by this myself. I've read SBR twice, and it was only this time I realised how sudden the fight ends. Legitimately thought there was a chapter missing!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

jivjov posted:

So, uh, really not sure how I feel about the first few pages going into great detail about how "the white man's running style" is way better than anything native Americans can do...please tell me this isn't a running theme of the part?

Not that I remember, no.

It's not that it's "better", it's just that Sandman is actually willing to use sprinting to outrun them because they'd never want to do that. It's also pretty ironic (to me) since they're on horses, which were introduced to the Americas by the Spanish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Halfway through volume two; man, I sure love purestrain Araki nonsense so much. The Spin "explodes his horse's habits", sure, okay, let's go with that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jivjov posted:

Halfway through volume two; man, I sure love purestrain Araki nonsense so much. The Spin "explodes his horse's habits", sure, okay, let's go with that.

basically a way to look at it is he uses the spin of the steel ball to 'wind up' the muscles in the horse like a spring. it's kind of what happens earlier when gyro is doing poo poo with the duel by twisting up the guy's arm and making him shoot himself. i mean yeah it's the usual araki purestrain baffling pseudoscience but in the cases where this mysterious spin is being used there's at least like. ways one can figure out why he's reasoning it the way he does? it's cool as gently caress and handled really well. it's not really a mystery at this point that this 'spin' is going to be relevant in the story so buckle up for what i consider to be a fresh new take on something like the ripple but actually handled in a fun and interesting way

because yeah the spin is kind of like a fresh new take on the ripple

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Reading a manga all about the power of Spin immediately after buying a hardcover copy of Uzumaki has made for a weird week.

Like I know spinning and spirals are only sorta related but tell that to my subconscious.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I love how so much happens in just the first volume alone that we have completely glossed over the Tiny Horses.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

jivjov posted:

Speaking of the "habits" thing... I did not get the point at all when Diego was explaining that poo poo about Gyro's horse swaying to the left.

So he only accelerates in those exact moments when Gyro's horse sways... but what the hell difference does that make?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

When Gyro's horse sways it also slows down a slight amount. Diego accelerated during that moment to get ahead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Spin is just another aspect of the Force. It's why the Jedi who spin their Lightsabers the most win their duels: they are charging their Force using the Spin.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

painted into a coroner posted:

When Gyro's horse sways it also slows down a slight amount. Diego accelerated during that moment to get ahead.

yeah, if someone accelerates at the exact moment someone slows down for a moment they're going to make more ground than if they accelerate and the other individual keeps going at the same, steady pace

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

painted into a coroner posted:

Yeah, I could get that as maybe a psychological thing if Gyro was looking back the whole time and saw Diego keep getting an unusually good burst of speed every single time or something. But when he'd been doing it all along the whole time, and all of a sudden Gyro looks back once and sees he's caught up a lot all at once, the whole point of timing things so exactly seems to be gone.

It just comes across to me like, "I have a secret racing power... of sometimes making my horse go faster!" Like if Diego was making his horse randomly speed up at the same rate, and Gyro's horse was randomly slowing down at the same rate, but the timings weren't perfectly matched up anymore with all this super analysis poo poo... it'd still all add up the same? I don't know maybe I'm just thinking about this weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, like many of you...I've just ripped through all three volumes for the week. Nice to have some good ol' Stand battles already. So I'm trying to figure out the Boom Booms...are they like the Rats and they all ended up with identical stands?

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I love the part where Gyro goes "That first guy was just raising bugs in his eyes, nbd, but this trio has the real poo poo"
also love how weird stands are at this point, I'm way more on board for Mountain Tim's whole thing than I ever was for punch ghosts

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Diego is just good at Horse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jivjov posted:

Well, like many of you...I've just ripped through all three volumes for the week. Nice to have some good ol' Stand battles already. So I'm trying to figure out the Boom Booms...are they like the Rats and they all ended up with identical stands?

it's not really something that can be elaborated on because the story does well enough in explaining it through various means. also next week's segment is gonna give a clearer idea of their whole deal.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Herbotron posted:

I love the part where Gyro goes "That first guy was just raising bugs in his eyes, nbd, but this trio has the real poo poo"
also love how weird stands are at this point, I'm way more on board for Mountain Tim's whole thing than I ever was for punch ghosts

I'm getting a lasso-based sticky fingers vibe off of Tim's stand. And yeah, I'm all about having more active-ability stands in the mix

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually, suffice it to say, part 7 is notable for having sort of its own 'style' of stands that sets itself apart from parts 3-6. stands are still stands but mountain tim is a good example in that his power is making his body parts travel along his rope which is, ultimately, not the most threatening thing when compared to earlier parts. but it works in this setting. you'll all see more examples as it moves along but araki's portrayal of stands keeps evolving as the series moves forward and he tries new things.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i was hoping for more women in the pack but i guess not :(

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zyla posted:

i was hoping for more women in the pack but i guess not :(
There are some but it's for later.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I've read through part 7 like four times by now, but I keep noticing new stuff. For some reason I totally missed Johnny using a dude in a crowd as a wheelchair ramp in ch.3, and I also missed the little sand hands reaching up to the race organizer's eye from the emerald Sandman used as his entry fee. There's so much detail everywhere!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
These volumes have definitely been chock full of detail. Araki giving himself lots of stuff to play with. I love the jostling DIO letters on Diego's hat for that extra sense of motion. It was almost a shame the fights started because that 1st stage was some intense crazy racing action!

It's also been messing with me that Gyro's got those Hol Horse design elements, even if it's not out of place for the theme in the slightest.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not looking for any major spoilers; but does the whole "this is a new timeline" thing have any ramifications on the actual plot? Or is it 100% just a clean break?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's entirely separate from parts 1-6, we wouldn't be pushing this experience if it wasn't. nothing from parts 7-8 have anything to do with the previous 6 and reading this won't spoil anything about 6 for anime-only people. there's callbacks and some familiar-ish names and whatever but just consider it like a weird reboot where araki knows what the gently caress he's doing from the get-go and has decided to focus on a pan-continental horse race in the united states in the late 1800's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BaDandy posted:

Not that I remember, no.

It's not that it's "better", it's just that Sandman is actually willing to use sprinting to outrun them because they'd never want to do that. It's also pretty ironic (to me) since they're on horses, which were introduced to the Americas by the Spanish.

yeah he's basically sprinting like in a track race instead of running like someone typically would for long distance running because of his insane stamina