Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Re that reddit post : There is no built in heart rate complication that shows an actual number, right! Just the picture of a heart? I’d love to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Re that reddit post : There is no built in heart rate complication that shows an actual number, right! Just the picture of a heart? I’d love to be wrong.

The infograph modular complication on series 4 does, but no other complication built in does. I think they're worried that since it isn't a continuous sensor, the data will be stale most of the time and give people the wrong impression.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have the MLB At Bat complication turned on. I'll have to keep an eye on It later today and see how often/fast it updates.

I still can't believe they don't have a circular complication for the series 4. Carrot gets the center square for now, and aside from 1-2 times a week it's always been up to date for me.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone ever have a watch just totally stop counting steps? After my wife did an update last night the watch is registering 0 steps. It has been tracking standing though, so the accelerometer seems to be working.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So randomly my series 3 decides to stop recording routes when tracking an outdoor run in the Workout app? It records a starting point and pinpoints the weather, so I know the GPS is working, but it doesn’t actually record the route.

Googling around suggests disabling/re-enabling location services and rebooting the phone and watch. I’ve done all of that and still am only seeing the starting point.

I recorded a few runs in the past few weeks just fine. This is the first that didn’t have route information. No beta software or anything. This happen to anyone else?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Have you tried rebooting either the phone or the watch? Because I've noticed that the Activities app on my phone is buggy sometimes and tells me I have done 0 exercise minutes and burnt 0 calories even though my watch is telling me I'm all done.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Have you tried rebooting either the phone or the watch? Because I've noticed that the Activities app on my phone is buggy sometimes and tells me I have done 0 exercise minutes and burnt 0 calories even though my watch is telling me I'm all done.

I've had this happen to me as well, but it seems after a couple minutes they show up again.

But yeah, I rebooted and I still couldn't see a map for my run. Which is super odd because the distance that was recorded was dead-nuts on the money, so I know the GPS was active and recording. I thought it may have been just simply a display issue rather than a recording issue. On an Indoor Run, the accelerometer is always off by 5-10% or so if I'm running on a treadmill. After my reboot of phone/watch, I tried a new run and the GPS data/map was there, so who knows.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I actually like the Breathe app. ‘Mindfulness’ has a lot of mumbo-jumbo around it but deep breathing is known to trigger many peoples’ dive reflex, and at least for me it’s helpful in getting my HR down a solid amount. I like the included HR feedback, although it usually takes a few minutes (as it does in yoga class, for example) of deep breathing to have it be effective.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a built in function (or another app) that will remind you to go take a walk, similar to the stand reminders?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wish I could delete the dumbass Breathe app.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wish I could delete the dumbass Breathe app.

It has one real handy feature, getting your baseline or HRV if you’re using the autosleep app; though most of the time I don’t feel or want to do it as I wake it’s a good way for the heart monitor to do some sort of magic...

Doing one minute of breathe as soon as you’re getting up out of bed sets it well

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

stirlo posted:

It has one real handy feature, getting your baseline or HRV if you’re using the autosleep app; though most of the time I don’t feel or want to do it as I wake it’s a good way for the heart monitor to do some sort of magic...

Doing one minute of breathe as soon as you’re getting up out of bed sets it well

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but the watch already calculates HRV without needing an app?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Yeah it does but getting a reading on when you wake up is ideal.

Somehow using breathe on waking up (whether you’re using AutoSleep or not) sends that to Health.app

Apparently if you get a good rating you can push yourself a lot harder at the gym or other exercise and get good results I find with just basic aerobic training I do burn a lot more calories when my whatever it’s called value is good.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oh, got it.

Though I think you mean that being healthier/able to push yourself harder results in a better number not the other way around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh, got it.

Though I think you mean that being healthier/able to push yourself harder results in a better number not the other way around.

I think they mean that getting a baseline upon wake-up results in a more accurate calorie count (or at least a higher calorie count) when they work out later in the day. If you set your base to a lower value than it would maybe otherwise be, when you get up to a working HR the watch will see that as you working harder.

Note- that may/may not be more accurate, but I can see why it would be desirable.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Hard to say what’s going on, but for me my heart rate goes down into the 40’s when sleeping so having a resting rate set this low is either accurate or better than the usual 50-60 it determines from walking around

OTOH, I don’t really appreciate doing Breathe first thing either so I barely use this feature either.

I have observed clearer or smoother curves on heart rate if I do manage to breathe on wake up and then work out later on, especially cardio exercising. So it could be a bit of both; good for you and better calibration for the biorhythms or measurements, who knows but results wise you can see it quite clear.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Apparently the developer is able to push themselves a little harder when this “Readiness” figure is high. Right now for me it’s low, I’m trying to shake off a virus and not getting out of bed easily. Readiness score is low; once I feel a bit more well I’d expect it to be higher too

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

stirlo posted:

Hard to say what’s going on, but for me my heart rate goes down into the 40’s when sleeping so having a resting rate set this low is either accurate or better than the usual 50-60 it determines from walking around

OTOH, I don’t really appreciate doing Breathe first thing either so I barely use this feature either.

I have observed clearer or smoother curves on heart rate if I do manage to breathe on wake up and then work out later on, especially cardio exercising. So it could be a bit of both; good for you and better calibration for the biorhythms or measurements, who knows but results wise you can see it quite clear.

Eh, my point was in the semantics. Your body doesn’t care what the sensor says or whether or not you gamed the system or not. If you are only capable of lifting 100 lbs then no matter what the color indicator is 100 lbs is all you’re gonna be able to lift because that is literally the maximum limits of your body.

Using the sensor/data to help you decide whether or not you think you should push or rest is a totally different matter.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yes I need a watch to tell me if I feel energetic and good.

Violator
May 15, 2003

redeyes posted:

Yes I need a watch to tell me if I feel energetic and good.

That’s my secret, redeyes, I always feel like dog poo poo.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Me: *ends a 17km run in Endomondo on the watch*
Apple Watch: *waits 7 seconds*... "HEY, YOUR HEART RATE IS HIGH, REMEMBER TO BREATHE!"

I got a S4 a month-ish ago and I am very pleasantly surprised that it's made a positive impact on a lot of my really bad phone-glancing habits.

However. Endomondo is absolute poo poo at tracking my heart rate - for large portions of my runs, it's either blank or something outrageous like 192 beats per minute on flat sections. I know it's around 130-140 on my long runs, with peaks of 190ish on hill sprints.

I tried using Apple's workout app on the watch for one of my runs, and it measures everything perfectly, including heart rate, like my old gps watch + heart strap did.

So... Is it because Endomondo has limited access to the heart rate monitor or is their watch app bad or what?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endomondo (which I haven't heard of) should have the same HR monitoring access that all the other apps do. Could be a poo poo app I know that stravia worked perfectly when I used it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Just get HealthFit and export to whatever platform you’re using. I’ve used Nike Run Club a bit and then it completely forgot/ignored a workout. Same thing happened with Strava after an update, though it went well for like a year or two and then Health just ignored the calorie data completely.

Though for tracking during a workout and showing data it seems pretty accurate/on par with the regular activity app.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
Endomondo was bought by Under Armour some years ago and is now "their" fitness tracking app. I've been using for many years and that's where I like to have my poo poo, dammit! I don't like change :(

I'll give HealthFit a spin - thanks for the suggestion :)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Apple allows its apps on the watch a lot more access to resources than other apps so that’s probably why.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mzuri posted:

Endomondo was bought by Under Armour some years ago and is now "their" fitness tracking app. I've been using for many years and that's where I like to have my poo poo, dammit! I don't like change :(

I'll give HealthFit a spin - thanks for the suggestion :)

Didn't they also buy MyFitnessPal? And turn it into a subscription model?

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Proteus Jones posted:

Maybe :) I only know of the acquisition because the logo changed on the app and one of my colleagues brought champagne and cake to work when it happened, because his wife was a co-founder of Endomondo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I was going to say MFP already had the subscription before UA bought them, but I looked it up and no, UA acquired them in February 2015, and the subscription was added the following May.

I dunno, I've been using it free, and it's been fine minus the ads, but it's not worth $9.99 per month (or even $50/year) to drop them.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Any reason to wait for a Series 5 if I want an Apple Watch? Any big improvements coming?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any reason to wait for a Series 5 if I want an Apple Watch? Any big improvements coming?

I don't think there's really been any leaks or anything for the watch yet.

The announcement is in less than a month though so at this point I'd probably wait depending on how desperate you are. New features at the same price or older models at a lower price

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaganGoatPants posted:

It’s only a month now so I’d definitely wait and see.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah at the very least series 4 should see a price drop so no reason not to wait at this point.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
If there were dramatic improvements coming we would have seen it reflected in the WatchOS betas. Series 4 is still pretty new and was a big leap forward in specs (after upgrading, I wouldn't recommend Series 1-3 to anyone regardless of price over a 4, the screen is just that good), so waiting to see if there's a price drop in a month is prudent.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Guess we’ll just get a modest processor increase for the 5. I probably won’t upgrade from my 4 until another dramatic redesign.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m extremely happy with my 3 and seeing how the prices have dropped I just can’t see paying full price for the watch anymore unless I was in desperate need of an upgrade.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Lum_ posted:

If there were dramatic improvements coming we would have seen it reflected in the WatchOS betas. Series 4 is still pretty new and was a big leap forward in specs (after upgrading, I wouldn't recommend Series 1-3 to anyone regardless of price over a 4, the screen is just that good), so waiting to see if there's a price drop in a month is prudent.

I'm an Original, 3, 4 upgrader and it's weird to see no leaks this close to launch. I'm really wondering if there's going to be a new watch this year, or at least a change in the upgrade calendar to focus on the struggling iPhone sales.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I wonder if they will ever switch to actual QI charging like the iPhone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'm an Original, 3, 4 upgrader and it's weird to see no leaks this close to launch. I'm really wondering if there's going to be a new watch this year, or at least a change in the upgrade calendar to focus on the struggling iPhone sales.

Yeah, I have a feeling we won't see a new watch this September. We had a bunch of price drops and closeouts on Series 3 about 2 months before release of Series 4.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Series 4 price drop is fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

4 is good enough that I think they could get away with skipping 2019 as an upgrade year.