Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Aren't the Stepstones on the other side of the continent from the Iron Islands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kylaer posted:

Aren't the Stepstones on the other side of the continent from the Iron Islands?
I had this same thought and looked it up. They're halfway around, but they are indeed raided by iron islanders. They seem to be a pirate battlegrounds of sorts, there are lysene pirates there as well and also aurane waters goes there with his new ships to join the fray.

Worrying about logistics like their 1000 ships is a bit silly, you don't need renewable forests to build ships in a book.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its mentioned that they poach trees from the north since its so loving big and empty

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Plus the Iron Islands are right across from the Wolfswood which is the biggest forest in Westeros

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But how would they transport all that wood back?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

With their 1000 ships, duh.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
that's like asking why the queen is the queen: because a few hundred years ago some guys on boats sailed to a trash can island and took it over and have been raping and pillaging to afford to buy boats ever since

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey now, a bunch of goons wrote an entire book mocking all the rape GRRM wrote about, so something productive came out of this whole endeavor. ...and then one of them actually did rape someone, but details details amirite?

Who better to write about rape than a raper?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

But how would they transport all that wood back?
Wood floats.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You could probably also build the boats over the North if you wanted to. Place is huge and depopulated, ain't nobody coming.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PittTheElder posted:

You could probably also build the boats over the North if you wanted to. Place is huge and depopulated, ain't nobody coming.

Or gently caress maybe trees just fall down and float to the Iron Islands because of magical currents. I mean anything is possible.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe secret targ King Dick Crabb (first of his name) has been ferrying trees to the ironmen for the last few centuries

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This one goes out to Nimble Dick Crabb. Your death was the last thing in asoiaf that moved me.

I was like oh poo poo no brienne you're right there do something :(

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This one goes out to Nimble Dick Crabb. Your death was the last thing in asoiaf that moved me.

I was like oh poo poo no brienne you're right there do something :(

RIP to a legend. And she did do something. She got her fuckin face bit off

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TK-42-1 posted:

RIP to a legend. And she did do something. She got her fuckin face bit off

Wasn't that later at the Inn at the Crossroads?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah, Brienne v. Biter is at the Inn at the Crossroads. Brienne avenges Dick by killing Shagwell without industry.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Kelly C's new profession:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CEIcmWmtA

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like how the credits said "Producer of Bridesmaids" instead of "Producer of Ghostbusters". Nice touch!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love these new trailers thst make it so I don't need to pay to watch the movie.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love these new trailers thst make it so I don't need to pay to watch the movie.

That’s actually a conscious effort by the industry. Apparently nowadays with so much media at our fingertips they did research where people won’t see something unless they know what it’s going to be from the getgo. I think it’s dumb as hell but they sunk a lot of money into figuring that out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least it saves me money.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TK-42-1 posted:

That’s actually a conscious effort by the industry. Apparently nowadays with so much media at our fingertips they did research where people won’t see something unless they know what it’s going to be from the getgo. I think it’s dumb as hell but they sunk a lot of money into figuring that out

I feel like there could be a middle ground between a vague David Lynch-esqu trailer of random noises and colors or the entire movie in a trailer. Back when I was a kid trailers seemed to work just fine. They teased me enough about the movie to get my interest without telling me the entire plot. They even had those cool husky-voiced voiceover guys who described what was happening in the trailer in case you didn't get it, and he still didn't spoil the whole movie.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

It depends on the genre and marketing package to some degree, doesn't it? I don't expect to ever see a trailer like this for a Nolan film, though I also don't expect to see Nolan do a Christmas themed rom-com.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pseudanonymous posted:

It depends on the genre and marketing package to some degree, doesn't it? I don't expect to ever see a trailer like this for a Nolan film, though I also don't expect to see Nolan do a Christmas themed rom-com.

I'd very much like to watch a Nolan directed rom-com now.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I'd very much like to watch a Nolan directed rom-com now.

I could see him doing something like a movie where a computer programmer who works on deep learning AI gets gender reassignment surgery alongside a comprehensive therapy suite that includes forgetting a la Eternal Sunshine, and they are looking for love and get into a relationship online with someone but they never meet in person, and at the end of the movie you find out they are in love with their formerly gendered self and simply interacting with all the bots they wrote to test their various AI researches.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

pseudanonymous posted:

Kind of.

The biggest driver of negative word of mouth for a movie turns out to be audience expectations: audiences are generally much kinder to a bad version of a movie they expected to see than a movie of whatever quality that ends up being a different movie than they were expecting. That's why Hereditary got a D+ Cinemascore, even though the rotten tomatoes score and box office ended up decent: the trailer sold a traditional horror movie, but audiences got... whatever the gently caress Hereditary was. So the biggest goal of a trailer these days isn't to get audiences to want to see a movie, it's to get audiences in tune with the wavelength of the movie, or at least what the advertising executives think the wavelength of the movie is.

So you won't get a movie trailer that gives away everything for a Nolan movie because Nolan's name, visual style, and the puzzle-like elements of his film-making constitute a brand to themselves; as soon as audiences see pieces of them, they're in tune with the Nolan wave-length. He's the most consistent money-making filmmaker in Hollywood, at this point. On the other hand, you have Hobbs and Shaw, which has a trailer that gives away literally every part of the movie, because it has something to prove to the audience: that it is in the same wavelength as the previous Fast and Furious movies.

It's why the Thor Ragnarok trailer gave so much more away than, say, the Infinity War trailer: it had to sell audiences on a new wave-length for the Thor franchise.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That guy is gonna die at the end of the movie. Or he's a literal angel.

I love new trailers!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And thus we finally reach the Acceptance phase of the Five Stages of GRRM: GRRM: Game of Thrones' ending was "freeing as a writer".

"Freeing" he doesn't have to write another word ever again. It's over, go home.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

And thus we finally reach the Acceptance phase of the Five Stages of GRRM: GRRM: Game of Thrones' ending was "freeing as a writer".

"Freeing" he doesn't have to write another word ever again. It's over, go home.

In my headcanon GRRM is actually immensely productive under several aliases. Fanfics, video game scripts, you name it, he's churning out content like 1980s Stephen King after finding Pablo Escobar's top-shelf coke stash.

But the moment ASoIaF crosses his mind, his muse just vanishes and he's left staring at a blank text editor and munching on chips. It became his kryptonite.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Sephyr posted:

In my headcanon GRRM is actually immensely productive under several aliases. Fanfics, video game scripts, you name it, he's churning out content like 1980s Stephen King after finding Pablo Escobar's top-shelf coke stash.

But the moment ASoIaF crosses his mind, his muse just vanishes and he's left staring at a blank text editor and munching on chips. It became his kryptonite.

As of June 2011, 21 Wild Cards volumes had been published in the series; earlier that same year, Martin signed the contract for the 22nd volume, Low Ball (2014), published by Tor Books. In early 2012, Martin signed another Tor contract for the 23rd Wild Cards volume, High Stakes, which was released in August 2016.[40]

In August 2016 Martin announced that Universal Cable Productions had acquired the rights to adapt the Wild Cards novels into a television series.[41] In 2017, Martin confirmed he would serve as an executive producer of the HBO television series adaptation of the 2010 novel Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor.[42] Martin also contributed to an upcoming video game titled Elden Ring, writing the overarching lore and worldbuilding aspects for it.[43][44]

He also wrote the Dunk and Egg poo poo, and the Fire and Blood poo poo. So what you're suggesting isn't so much "headcanon" as "head reality" He clearly does not want to write the ASoIaF books. He also blogs a poo poo ton, talks nonstop about football.

I loving love this tidbit:

quote:

Martin is opposed to fan fiction, which he views as copyright infringement and a bad exercise for aspiring writers in terms of developing skills in worldbuilding and character development

He's all about WildCards, but against fanfiction. I'd love to hear how he squares that circle. Actually, I wouldn't I don't really give a poo poo what he thinks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

He's all about WildCards, but against fanfiction. I'd love to hear how he squares that circle. Actually, I wouldn't I don't really give a poo poo what he thinks.

I’ve never read any of them and I never will but I think the Wild Cards books are short story collections in a shared universe. So it’s not technically fan fiction in the loosest possible sense. But you’re right, GRRM isn’t actually opposed to fanfic, he’s opposed to fanfic about his stuff in particular because of his ego and apparently he hasn’t heard about this little thing called the Death of the Author.

In summary, GRRM is a land of contrasts.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

some guy on the bus posted:

Who better to write about rape than a raper?

Wait I haven’t paid attention since I lost my wildcards badge back when the last book came out. Who is the rapist?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wait I haven’t paid attention since I lost my wildcards badge back when the last book came out. Who is the rapist?

GRRM

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

It is known.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve never read any of them and I never will but I think the Wild Cards books are short story collections in a shared universe.

have you at least read the Wildcards thread? b/c that poo poo is golden. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501532

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I’m getting so mad at how Rhaenyra lost 5 loving dragons in one night. Like all she had to do was mount up her dragon burn some poo poo and have the other dragons set loose inside the dragon pit so they could fight back easily. Like even without her leave why didn’t the dragon keepers release their chains???

I’m really attached to these dragons. Targ’s are dumb as poo poo.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

rhaenyra had a pretty bad case of Brain Worms by that point

im sure that before she was brain wormed she would have thought to have the dragons unchained

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i just remembered that brain worms is probably not a good shorthand for mental breakdown in ASOIAF since one of the minor targ background princesses did get literally brainwormed after flying to the ruins of valyria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1164948188706627586?s=21