Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I know rumors were swirling at e3 that PS5 had the power lead over the Xbox Two but who knows...

If the Xbox Two isn’t stupidly cheaper it’ll wind up like this gen, with Xbox existing but in 3rd place in North America and the UK and a rounding error everywhere else.

The main “new” thing they can do will be leveraging this SSD since quasi-instant access and not having to worry about your load times screwing up resources could expand options in an interesting way.

I still maintain Hitman is the only current gen game actually doing something gameplay-wise that was impossible last gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

univbee posted:

I still maintain Hitman is the only current gen game actually doing something gameplay-wise that was impossible last gen.

Yes, New Hitman is one of the very few.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

univbee posted:

What does it do?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

In what aspect, the crowd tech? Size of levels?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I’m still locked out of my Hitman 2 copy. Never got an answer from Microsoft or IO.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah New Hitman does a crazy amount of simulation throughout the whole level you're on, in order to support players getting very creative in how to complete the missions. Very CPU intensive, leans hard on the 8 core designs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine Hitman with good load speeds :allears:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Very excited for the even-better-looking PS3/360 games with even-more-predatory business models coming next gen

Ya

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Yes, New Hitman is one of the very few.

Mordor used the new memory space in an interesting gimmick. Sony did some particle effects that ps3 couldnt do but yeah mostly this gen has just been a higher resolution masquerading as a new gen

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

In what aspect, the crowd tech? Size of levels?

Size of levels, mainly, especially since everything outside your FOV remains "active" (at a lower framerate/fidelity). Like if you compare the level sizes of Blood Money to the newer games the difference is absurd, especially when you factor in crowd sizes and how much is actually going on at any given time. You extra-feel it with the 2nd mission of the first game, where the level comprises basically the whole downtown core of an Italian seaside village AND a church AND a giant mansion that has a loving underground secret lab.

Pretty much every other game could have been done at like 720p30 without meaningful changes (just stuff lower draw distance and graphics fidelity) on a PS3 or 360 by a talented enough dev team that knew their way around those consoles. We know this from the higher-end games which were actually cross-gen like Destiny 1, both parts of Metal Gear Solid V, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto V (which wasn't even a current-gen game when originally released), Yakuza: Kiwami, Yakuza 0, Star Ocean and the like.

Faster load time would open up some new possibilities, though, I know that Sony for example specifically tuned the fastest speed you could move at in Infamous: Second Son to how fast the PS4 was capable of loading in data as you moved, and I'm pretty sure other open world games did similar stuff too.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 13, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I actually said "holy poo poo" out loud when it turned out there was a whole underground lab in that second Hitman mission.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is the Bard's Tale Trilogy the origonals, remakes of them or something completely new? I played so much of them back on my Apple IIGS.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

Is the Bard's Tale Trilogy the origonals, remakes of them or something completely new? I played so much of them back on my Apple IIGS.

Remasters of the first 3 games.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Maneki Neko posted:

Remasters of the first 3 games.

Nice. As I said, I spent so much time playing those as a kid.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
gently caress I wish next gen was PS2/Xbox graphics with bugfuck insane levels of other poo poo. Imagine a gunfight where instead of just looking cool there was actually a modicum of intelligence to the AI. Or you could do Warren Spector's "one block" concept justice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Nice. As I said, I spent so much time playing those as a kid.

Its totally worth it. Theyre really nice remasters and also on gamepass.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just realized Blazing Chrome was on PC Game Pass, so I downloaded it. Would be a great game except for constant quick freezes. Hopefully an update addresses it

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Games forum favourite Slay The Spire has now launched on Xbox Game Pass (after previously only being available on PC GP). :D

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Disposable Scud posted:

gently caress I wish next gen was PS2/Xbox graphics with bugfuck insane levels of other poo poo. Imagine a gunfight where instead of just looking cool there was actually a modicum of intelligence to the AI. Or you could do Warren Spector's "one block" concept justice.

You’re high dude.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Better AI is a complete nonsense statement because the limitation with AI is not "is it good at the game" as "does it lose convincingly, interestingly, and telegraph its intentions" which is not something processing power is really the bottleneck on nowadays.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

Better AI is a complete nonsense statement because the limitation with AI is not "is it good at the game" as "does it lose convincingly, interestingly, and telegraph its intentions" which is not something processing power is really the bottleneck on nowadays.
This is why I actually liked SC: Conviction's incessant enemy barking. Shouting "that's an obvious trap, Fisher, I'm not going in there!" at the guy hunting you makes no sense story-wise, but without it the player would just assume the AI simply didn't notice the action. Same with HL2's enemy squad tactics being downright invisible from a first-person perspective.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Exactly. People for instance say they like the AI in FEAR and Half-Life but the AI is extremely stupid, it just constantly shouts at you what its doing and the level design is such that it feels like theyre flanking you or other smart things when in fact they arent.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Barudak posted:

Its totally worth it. Theyre really nice remasters and also on gamepass.

Yep, love the art style and QOL improvements. I'm too old to be using graph paper. Funny thing is they weren't originally assigned to do it.

I'll be curious how they handle Wasteland.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Games that are leaving Game Pass end of August:

quote:

Alien Hominid HD
A Kingdom for Keflings
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
A World of Keflings
BattleBlock Theater
Hue
Manual Samuel
Sky Force Reloaded
InnerSpace

I enjoyed Hue. It's a neat little puzzle-platformer kinda like Thomas Was Alone.

Can't speak for the other games, they seem like mostly filler.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is an excellent fighting game where a playable character is named Butt.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Battleblock Theatre is the perfect game to play co-op and get angry with your buddy. Is a drat good platformer with great art style and both GDQ speedruns by PJ Dicesare and MechaRitcher (spelling?) are hilarious.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Does this mean if I downloaded Alien Hominid HD to my Xbone, despite it being on the console, it won't boot after August?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

Does this mean if I downloaded Alien Hominid HD to my Xbone, despite it being on the console, it won't boot after August?

If you own it via some other means (disc, digital purchase or xbl gold freebie) it will still be useable, however if you got it via Game Pass only it will no longer be bootable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So moving my xbox one x out of the completely open entertainment center to the top of it made all the controller connect problems go away for... approximately 4 or 5 days. Now they're back. It won't work again.

Ugh what a piece of poo poo. Returning.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

In case anyone cares:

You can get all the DLC for Forza Motorsport 6 (current GwG) for just $4.99 right now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/forza-motorsport-6-complete-add-ons-collection/bs5crfz22rmt

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

TheScott2K posted:

Very excited for the even-better-looking PS3/360 games with even-more-predatory business models coming next gen

Don't forget the even better plastic toy stuff to plug to my console in order to access a game feature, hmmm I love that poo poo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

Faster load time would open up some new possibilities, though, I know that Sony for example specifically tuned the fastest speed you could move at in Infamous: Second Son to how fast the PS4 was capable of loading in data as you moved, and I'm pretty sure other open world games did similar stuff too.

Spider-man devs used a lot of time tuning the amount of data loaded for some low hdd read speed because people can just put any cheap lovely hdd in there.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

People like Sony? :mmmhmm:

I did like how HZD got around the drive limitations, adding single prerendered scenes in the middle of real-time cutscenes to hide the fact they couldn't load all background scenery for the cut in time (before studios would just prerender the entire in-engine cutscene if they wanted to do poo poo like dissolve transitions - can't really render two viewpoints at once just for the effect). As long as it makes the experience seamless, it's fine!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctVVGdHnqI

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1163468017432350726

quote:

Devil May Cry 5 - today
Stellaris - today
Age of Empires: Definitive Edition - today
Kingdom Come Deliverance - August 22nd
Ape Out - August 22nd
The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut - August 27th
Blair Witch - August 30th

Those are some solid additions. :)

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 20, 2019

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Well poo poo now I don't gotta buy Blair Witch

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Oh and they also mentioned Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition comes straight to PC Game Pass when it releases on November 14. :D

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Apparently Dead Cells is early next month.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gamepass has been providing ridiculous value lately so im genuinely curious how its actually performing, i say, as I slam install DMCV which I held off buying because I assumed it would come to gamepass.

Also play bards tale you jerks!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Yea PC Gamepass has been doing me real good. I got it when it first came out for $1 for a month, then I let it lapse and was able to renew it for $1 again, then just now I got a key from Alienware for a free month and if I turned on Autorenew I got another month for free. So I'm good until November 19th and it's cost me $2 total. $7 total. I checked my order history and it did renew once for $5.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 20, 2019