Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
What about the delicious looking cubes of TOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
man I could loving go for some cubes right now

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dudeness posted:

This would be pretty awesome when you think about it. Like if we could just attach a food link to our posts and other users could just click it and have a portion of my finely craft "mac and cheese with hot dogs" that would be pretty loving cool, even though it would never quite match the real one (it's all in the ingredients, you see I buy the cheapest hot dogs).
the goons with spoons will never even know they're eating chilli with beans in until it's too late

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

This would be pretty awesome when you think about it. Like if we could just attach a food link to our posts and other users could just click it and have a portion of my finely craft "mac and cheese with hot dogs" that would be pretty loving cool, even though it would never quite match the real one (it's all in the ingredients, you see I buy the cheapest hot dogs).

my mother's famous "drained canned spinach doused in 'cleaning' quality white vinegar"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Throb Robinson posted:

What about the delicious looking cubes of TOS?

Palatable and safe for all Federation races. The ideal food.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

There was that episode of TNG where O'Brien is talking about how his mother actually cooked and Keiko is like "what she loving touched REAL MEAT??? With her hands???"

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

It would make sense for Federation replicators to refuse to replicate toxins.

Given the high correlation between peanut allergies and lack of exposure to peanuts, seems like the entire population would become deathly allergic to all sorts of poo poo due to avoidance.

Maybe that was a peanut vine in Shades Of Gray that nicked Riker?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

Garak does complain that the food on the station is mediocre but that isn't explicitly said to be because it is replicated.

I think that's more specifically because Cardassians are noted to have weird taste in food that nobody else likes, to the point where Quark has a hard time getting rid of all his stock of kanar and is happy to let Garak have it on the house just to free up the space. (Quark is actually a very good businessman for understanding opportunity cost, most greedy TV types don't. And also in real life) DS9 went from being primarily staffed and visited by Cardassians to having literally one left, so Garak can't get any of his accustomed food except as leftovers. Plus he's really grumpy and unhappy about living on DS9 in general.

Even Sisko doesn't mind replicated Raktajino, mind. I figure replicated food basically fills a niche similar to fast food pre-packaged processed food; it's easy to get, reliable and filling, but you're probably not going to have any exceptional experiences with it.

Though it's also shown that replicators also mean that people can try foodstuffs they normally wouldn't have access to, and are quite the medium of cultural exchange; see half of DS9 being hooked on Raktajino, and Rom trying out Earth breakfast foods while emulating O'Brien.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Right but ostensibly there would be Cardassian replicator recipes available. That said, the engineer ladies liked foreign good better, and it does seem like Garak orders foreign food as well for the most part, though iirc Devon is a Union world.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

SavageGentleman posted:

I think Star Trek's technology level has a hard limit of automation built in that starts to look really old-fashioned today. smart AI, serious automation following holodeck or transporter limits to its logical endpoints - all of this would strain the ethos of Star Trek, which is mostly based in humanlike creatures doing meaningful stuff that technology never could (tm).

Personally I've played around with ways to integrate 'new' technology into the setting, but the results were suboptimal.

Romulans no longer sending real assassin's but stealthed drones with holoemitters that procedurally generate the ideal assassin for a given case? hard to counter.

Drone swarms? Hardcore cybermods? Genesplicing? AIs doing all the work and crazy electronic warfare much faster than our monkey brains can process?

It would certainly be an interesting setting, but it would not really be Star Trek anymore.

I mean, the holodeck was just scripts except for the Moriarty thing lol. I think actually star trek's automation makes more sense with our recent knowledge of how Bad and poo poo machine learning is

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is that the lava creature Spock mind melds with?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

Is that the lava creature Spock mind melds with?

yes

Im so glad I decided to watch through TOS or I would have thought someone shat on a plate

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Danaru posted:

O'Brien smiles nefariously as he finally disables the safeties on the Replicator

"Computer. I want Cardassian."

Legate of lamb

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Legate of lamb

Dal

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I haven't gotten too far into voyager but I thought everyone had replicator rations. Like some type of credit they were using to get food out of it but when they got flung to the other side of the galaxy it's not like you can get more credits.

naem
May 29, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Computer, Riker's left rear end cheek, medium rare.

computer, meat, O’brian, hot

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Computer, Talaxian spotted dick

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Computer, Barclay beef.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You could have gone with Beef Barclay, you know.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You could have gone with Beef Barclay, you know.

That's something VERY different :grin:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Watchin B5 on recommendation of this thread. Middle of season 3

it's real good and if u like DS9 watch it

thats all thanks 4 listenin

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

zooted heh posted:

I haven't gotten too far into voyager but I thought everyone had replicator rations. Like some type of credit they were using to get food out of it but when they got flung to the other side of the galaxy it's not like you can get more credits.

Not quite. It was a Voyager-specific thing, an ad-hoc way for them to conserve power while being stranded by rationing replicator use. That also explains why it sometimes gets treated as a currency on the ship. It's one of the few things that's actually convincing about Voyager getting stuck on the other side of the galaxy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

Right but ostensibly there would be Cardassian replicator recipes available. That said, the engineer ladies liked foreign good better, and it does seem like Garak orders foreign food as well for the most part, though iirc Devon is a Union world.

Might make sense, especially since Garak's the intergalactic man of mystery and all. That said though, still think it's just another thing he's being grumpy about.

Garak's a really interesting character, I don't think anyone will disagree. I think I said that while other Cardassians, mainly Dukat, are constantly trying to assert dominance and give themselves the moral high ground, Garak's whole deal is that he presents himself humbly and makes himself useful, whether to the Bajorans, the Federation, even Quark who happens to need to put a hit on someone. (himself) Makes sense for an exiled spy whose cover has technically been blown; he loves his country but not the regime, and even the nominal enemies of Cardassia probably have a better plan for the planet than their government a this point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might make sense, especially since Garak's the intergalactic man of mystery and all. That said though, still think it's just another thing he's being grumpy about.

Garak's a really interesting character, I don't think anyone will disagree. I think I said that while other Cardassians, mainly Dukat, are constantly trying to assert dominance and give themselves the moral high ground, Garak's whole deal is that he presents himself humbly and makes himself useful, whether to the Bajorans, the Federation, even Quark who happens to need to put a hit on someone. (himself) Makes sense for an exiled spy whose cover has technically been blown; he loves his country but not the regime, and even the nominal enemies of Cardassia probably have a better plan for the planet than their government a this point.

He does explicitly mention in Our Man Bashir that he's not ego-motivated, he's results-motivated, which bears out as a rare truth. Both he and Tain are actually quite affable and focused on what they see as genuinely important, which makes sense because they don't really have "anything to prove" like Dukat strutting around in the interests of getting Sisko to accept his friend request.

Garak and Dukat are great foils for many reasons. Garak presents himself as humble and supercilious but is ruthlessly pragmatic. Dukat presents himself as an intelligent, clear-headed leader but he is very sentimental and rather dumb. In many ways, Garak actually has more genuine characteristics that are associated with villains, but he (like child-bombin' Kira, who imho is his closest kin) is redeemed by the fact that he does what he does in service of a greater cause (the Cardassian people if not the regime as such).

Anyway, back to the original point, he's complaining about the food because he's upset and being a princess :lofty:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Garak doesn't even complain about the food. He complains about the fact that he enjoyed it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Garak and Kira get along oddly well mostly because Garak is extremely aware that Kira won't put up with one more moment of Cardassian bullshit, also they're both experienced black ops war criminals. Though there was the episode where they had just come back from a Bajoran conference where he complained about having to wear the 'Cardassian Oppressor' nametag. (that was the time travel one where fittingly Garak found himself in the body of a Bajoran during the occupation)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Is that the one where they like go back to the occupation days in Odo's mind somehow? I don't remember Garak being in that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nah, different one.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Is that the one where they like go back to the occupation days in Odo's mind somehow? I don't remember Garak being in that.

He was. The fact that he was with the others but being treated like a bajoran by the other cardassians was a super big red flag early on for them that something was extra-wrong besides temporal stuff.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ok now I kinda remember. Makes perfect sense to include Garak.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh right, I was thinking of the noir one with Kira. This is the one where Odo is interrogated by his past self.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So is replicated food made out of poop or what? I ain’t eating someone else’s poop no matter if all the molecules are converted to energy and reconverted to completely different molecules. Now if it was my own poop that would be a different story.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Delthalaz posted:

So is replicated food made out of poop or what? I ain’t eating someone else’s poop no matter if all the molecules are converted to energy and reconverted to completely different molecules. Now if it was my own poop that would be a different story.

On DS9 this is definitely the case, hence the references to "Waste Reclamation". I think the Tech Manual claims the Enterprise works that way as well, but I don't think that would be strictly necessary except in a situation like Voyagers. Transporters show that they can do Matter-Energy conversion at will, combine that with the ridiculous amount of energy their warp cores should be putting out and I'd imagine if starships do waste reclamation it's likely a matter of getting rid of all that waste rather than strictly needing to do it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Delthalaz posted:

I got bad news for you about food

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Q_res posted:

On DS9 this is definitely the case, hence the references to "Waste Reclamation". I think the Tech Manual claims the Enterprise works that way as well, but I don't think that would be strictly necessary except in a situation like Voyagers. Transporters show that they can do Matter-Energy conversion at will, combine that with the ridiculous amount of energy their warp cores should be putting out and I'd imagine if starships do waste reclamation it's likely a matter of getting rid of all that waste rather than strictly needing to do it.

You probably also don't want to just beam poo poo into space, because it'll end up smeared across the next ship's view screen, and that could cause an intergalactic incident.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I would kill for a crossover episode of Garak and G'kar just chilling at the bar for an hour

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Delthalaz posted:

have you heard of fertilizer?

also, how do you feel about drinking water molecules that used to be someone's piss (or blood, or other bodily fluids)?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh god we're going to start a bunch of Voyager chat here aren't we?

I'm willing to wager that the "ridiculous" amount of energy that Voyager's power production system should be putting out was severely curtailed when not required. It's not like you're in the Alpha quadrant where you can go get a full refit every few years. Probably want to run non-essential systems at minimal power output for as long as possible to reduce wear and tear.

THEORETICALLY that should include transporters and holodecks but I guess Diktator Janeway decided that the holodecks were ok for her Victorian gently caress fantasies. Or wait didn't they make some crazy :techno: bullshit about the holodecks running on an entirely separate incompatible power grid or something?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Is it just supposed to be power-inefficient to convert some of the hydrogen the Bussard collectors are constantly gobbling up into replicator rations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yes the holodeck runs on another power thing that’s incompatible with the rest of the ship, thus the excuse to have holodeck adventures.

In a later episode they shut off the holodeck because they needed the power.

It was never explained that they managed to tie the holodeck power to the rest of the grid, nor did they stop having lovely holodeck episodes