Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
poo poo pissing me off: Learning MDT. I started building a reference image. Somewhere along the line, it just fails to go to the next step. The logs aren't too helpful as the last entry is it initiating a reboot after the 2nd round of updates.

I've been fighting just to make a reference image for 2 weeks off and on. I'm not even doing anything special. Just a standard image with .NET 3.5 turned on.

I'd just go to SCCM but we're too small of a company and I don't want to keep a ton of HDs around and clone them when we need to set up a new PC for Win10 rollout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MDT is cool and good, a lack of logging is not a complaint I would have ever had.

There's something like something like 3 different log file locations depending on what stage of the process you're in, you can also insert a pause step right before where you are having issues if you need to poke around.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

The Fool posted:

MDT is cool and good, a lack of logging is not a complaint I would have ever had.

There's something like something like 3 different log file locations depending on what stage of the process you're in, you can also insert a pause step right before where you are having issues if you need to poke around.

I guess the big problem is, I have only a guess where I am based on if Windows Update is done or not. Aside from that, it acts like a normal booted machine despite being set to do a capture. :shrug:

I'm following https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/1676/Building-a-Windows-10-v1809-reference-image-using-Microsoft-Deployment-Toolkit-MDT minus the Visual C runtimes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Ho. Lee. poo poo.

An email came down this morning from our VP of Engineering seemingly out of nowhere....

quote:

Over the past few weeks I’ve been meeting with as many of you as I can and there has been a couple of common threads that have come out of our conversations. Concerns around context switching, overloads on meetings and work/life balance. I also have observed this myself and I want to update you on three specific changes effective Monday August 12th to begin alleviating some of this. 1) Bi-Modal IT 2) Declared No Meeting Time 3)Unlimited PTO

1. Bi-Modal IT - is often done by having “two” IT teams. One dedicated to tactical, level 3 (L3) and core operations, while the other pursues strategic digital transformation and innovation.

Starting Monday we will create a smaller “Tactical/L3” operation team within each product line for customer experience. This will be 1 person from each team under a given product line. We will rotate this team every 4 weeks. (more details to come from your product line leadership team.)

2. Declared No Meeting Time Also starting next week, every Wednesday from 1:00pm – 5:00pm will be declared as our first no meeting time zone. I will work hard with all leaders and stakeholders to protect this window for all of our individual contributors.

3. Unlimited PTO - I want to be sure everyone is aware that we now have unlimited PTO within technology. This is a big win for all of us to allow us to take the time needed to reset and recharge. Work with your individual team leaders to coordinate your time off and plan appropriately for your team.

This is....wow. She definitely has been reaching out, this explains the mystery 1-on-1 invite I have with her for Monday. Credit where it's due for listening and trying to do something.

But it's too little too late and all of this can read very cynically, especially the PTO part. No one is even acknowledging several of us asking what happens to our accrued balances, since with only 2 weeks a year most of us save up to get a significant enough chunk of time to take a vacation (plus with everything being on fire no one has taken vacations lately). You know that "protected no meeting time" is going to last a month tops, "unlimited PTO" is going to mean "lol you're not taking a single day", and the tactical team is just a temporary stop-gap when we're being crushed by our mountain of tech debt.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Ho. Lee. poo poo.

An email came down this morning from our VP of Engineering seemingly out of nowhere....

This is....wow. She definitely has been reaching out, this explains the mystery 1-on-1 invite I have with her for Monday. Credit where it's due for listening and trying to do something.

But it's too little too late and all of this can read very cynically, especially the PTO part. No one is even acknowledging several of us asking what happens to our accrued balances, since with only 2 weeks a year most of us save up to get a significant enough chunk of time to take a vacation (plus with everything being on fire no one has taken vacations lately). You know that "protected no meeting time" is going to last a month tops, "unlimited PTO" is going to mean "lol you're not taking a single day", and the tactical team is just a temporary stop-gap when we're being crushed by our mountain of tech debt.

They should pay you out your balance and then you should also take exactly the amount, if not more, than you would at the end of the year.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

They should pay you out your balance and then you should also take exactly the amount, if not more, than you would at the end of the year.

They should, but it's a matter of how much everyone is going to have to fight to get them to do it (I'm leaving anyway so they have to pay out my balance as required by law).

It took 3 months last year to get them to reverse the rollover policy change that was actively loving over all new hires who couldn't use any PTO in their first 90 days but also were accruing way more than the new rollover limit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Suppliers that don't start any work on an issue until the SLA clock has run down :argh:.

Put a request in for a change, wait your permitted five working days before responding to say you're starting to prepare the change now, wait another four days to actually do anything :fuckoff:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
First rule of project management:

Never believe anyone who says, “I got this. I’ll have it by <deadline>.”

I organized five working groups to deliver five things by today. Two knocked it out of the park, one was a decent effort, one was meh, and one was clear they did exactly poo poo on the project during the two weeks they had.

These are colleagues who pride themselves on being “independent workers” who “don’t need to be nagged about deadlines.”

I should know better than this by now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I tend to follow the sage wisdom of the man I was named for when it comes to project estimation. Hasn't failed me yet and it works as advertised for your reputation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xRqXYsksFg

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

Here's the response I got from the VP:

"Team members need to use all of their existing PTO in Ultipro by requesting time off through Ultipro until that is used. Once you have exhausted that bank of hours, then you will work directly with your manager for planning and approval of additional time you would like to take off."

So if I had zero hours saved, I could take time under the new policy without issue. But people who saved up have to use that up first? Needless to say already called bullshit on it. This is gonna be a fun battle.

In other news, meeting scheduled for 5pm for this company to make their official offer. I got a phone call from my contact in HR saying exactly that and scheduling the call with the VP when he's done with meetings, and the title of the invite is "OFFER!". It's finally officially loving happening.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Here's the response I got from the VP:

"Team members need to use all of their existing PTO in Ultipro by requesting time off through Ultipro until that is used. Once you have exhausted that bank of hours, then you will work directly with your manager for planning and approval of additional time you would like to take off."

So if I had zero hours saved, I could take time under the new policy without issue. But people who saved up have to use that up first? Needless to say already called bullshit on it. This is gonna be a fun battle.

In other news, meeting scheduled for 5pm for this company to make their official offer. I got a phone call from my contact in HR saying exactly that and scheduling the call with the VP when he's done with meetings, and the title of the invite is "OFFER!". It's finally officially loving happening.

Yeah, they are effectively dissolving your balances which is a total gently caress you to you and a total win for them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

Yeah, they are effectively dissolving your balances which is a total gently caress you to you and a total win for them.

Absolutely. We don't need to use the balances per the new policy, but they want anyone with a balance to zero it out so they aren't bound by their policy on PTO upon termination.

At my last job, when our company was bought out and we transitioned from tracked balances to "unlimited" we got a payout of our balance without any argument. I see this one wants to put up a fight.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
That's exactly what should happen, you get paid out for hours then switch to the unlimited PTO policy. Doing it any other way is stealing money from employees.

Congrats on the offer! Hope it works out well.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Just gave a verbal acceptance, all that's left is the paperwork. Talked them up to 10% over what I make now plus a bunch of equity. 100% paid insurance premiums for me, the majority paid for my partner, unlimited PTO, no required travel.

SMEAGOL IS FREE!

Their VP gushed for a good 10 minutes, too. Wednesday's meeting was just a formality because he doesn't want the first time we talk to be this formal offer meeting. Apparently there had been discussion over my technical interview and the possibility of coming up with some harder questions for me after I breezed through it in half an hour (we had 2 hours scheduled), and they actually learned a thing or two from my code challenge that they hadn't seen before. It just feels so good to have someone sing your praises after having nothing but poo poo flung at you for months :unsmith:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Just gave a verbal acceptance, all that's left is the paperwork. Talked them up to 10% over what I make now plus a bunch of equity. 100% paid insurance premiums for me, the majority paid for my partner, unlimited PTO, no required travel.

SMEAGOL IS FREE!

Their VP gushed for a good 10 minutes, too. Wednesday's meeting was just a formality because he doesn't want the first time we talk to be this formal offer meeting. Apparently there had been discussion over my technical interview and the possibility of coming up with some harder questions for me after I breezed through it in half an hour (we had 2 hours scheduled), and they actually learned a thing or two from my code challenge that they hadn't seen before. It just feels so good to have someone sing your praises after having nothing but poo poo flung at you for months :unsmith:

Sounds like you could have gotten 20%.

Congratulations!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
After just 15.5 months I finally got notification that my upgraded security clearance has been approved. Now I'm no longer scum in the eyes of the DoD and can finally become a contributing member to my company's bottom line. Oh, wait, I'm still a defense contractor, so I'm still a money-grubbing whore. But now I have job security. Nice feeling.

Company financials were released the other day, and we're making bank. Hiring pace is insane, and we're actually having trouble finding space to put people. Even if we didn't sign another contract we've got enough work for the next three years. Now I just need to start backlogging some projects of my own.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That's great to see BVV, I look forward to reading about you bitching about the quality of croissants they have since there's little else to complain about hopefully ;)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Scaramouche posted:

That's great to see BVV, I look forward to reading about you bitching about the quality of croissants they have since there's little else to complain about hopefully ;)

I believe the position is remote so he won't know how the croissants are!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Khisanth Magus posted:

I believe the position is remote so he won't know how the croissants are!

Except at the annual Xmas party!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just had the most awkward meeting with the VP of Engineering here. This was originally scheduled by her as an ongoing effort since she joined the department a few weeks ago to see what they need to do to stop the hemorrhaging of devs from the company, but it shifted to be more of an exit interview now. I unleashed the beast at last and unloaded the last 3 months of bullshit on her, it was so loving cathartic.

I get the impression that toxic boss kept it to himself that he snubbed me for that promotion and she had no idea and she is not happy about that fact. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in his office when she confronts him.....

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
A few years ago, I received a frantic phone call from a very upset user.

"Why isn't my email working? I can't send any email!"

OK, where are you right now?

"I'm onsite! Why isn't my email working! What did you do?!"

Where is 'onsite', exactly?

"Oh I'm visiting our clients nuclear reactor. I'm in the control room and my email isn't working!"

Oh, well it's extremely unlikely that a nuclear reactor is connected to the outside world, much less the internet. Please try again when you get back to your motel room.

After a very long pause "Well why didn't they tell me?! gently caress!"

Sigh

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I was confronted by the owner of the company I was sys admin for.

"You're ripping us off!"

Sorry?

"I checked my internet bill at home and we pay waaay more for our business connection! It's a rip off!"

OK, so you're comparing your home internet with a dedicated T3 line?

"So what, what difference does that make?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:) "Hi we are being billed for this thing that we are providing but we're not invoicing for it"
"Should there be something else on this statement? This is their contract"
:) "Yes, we are providing something and it's not being charged for anywhere, but we are paying for it. It's active in our supplier's portal."
"Ok thanks, [x] can you check to see if this is being charged on our bills?"
:) "If it's showing as active then it always means we're paying for it, but here's the latest billing data from the provider with this service being charged."

gently caress sake guys, why is it so difficult sometimes. It's far more likely that someone hosed up and forgot to bill something than it is for the entirely automated systems that our provider uses to somehow get it wrong.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

CFO: "I hate software, it's always buggy and isn't reliable."

Also the CFO, proudly: "We've had our one-day-a-week contractor slowly rewrite the Sage 500 Accounts Receivable module piecemeal over the last decade."

I'm not sure this guy can connect two thoughts together if he isn't using an Excel macro to do it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

First of May posted:

CFO: "I hate software, it's always buggy and isn't reliable."

Also the CFO, proudly: "We've had our one-day-a-week contractor slowly rewrite the Sage 500 Accounts Receivable module piecemeal over the last decade."

I'm not sure this guy can connect two thoughts together if he isn't using an Excel macro to do it.

I mean, Sage is pretty lovely software to begin with.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tango alpha delta posted:

"You're ripping us off!"

Sorry?

"I checked my internet bill at home and we pay waaay more for our business connection! It's a rip off!"

Apologize and put the business on whatever he got at home, duh.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Another director was getting overwhelmed and asked permission from SoO to take his only report from part time to full time. SoO told him to gently caress off, so he quit. Now SoO is taking over that director's functions which requires me to be in daily contact with him for all purchasing.

SoO is also taking the next two weeks off :allears:

SoO informed me today that he doesn't have time to handle all this inventory and purchasing* so that's all on me now (as pertains to my division). I reckon by this time next year I'll be the head of my own little business inside the business. I should get new cards.

*Reminder, the guy that did all the purchasing and inventory (and very well imho) quit for a lower paying job when SoO declined to make the guy's only help, a clerk, go from part time to full-time**

**Not even like, benefits full time. Like 40 hrs as a temp instead of 24 hrs as a temp

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

SoO informed me today that he doesn't have time to handle all this inventory and purchasing* so that's all on me now (as pertains to my division). I reckon by this time next year I'll be the head of my own little business inside the business. I should get new cards.

*Reminder, the guy that did all the purchasing and inventory (and very well imho) quit for a lower paying job when SoO declined to make the guy's only help, a clerk, go from part time to full-time**

**Not even like, benefits full time. Like 40 hrs as a temp instead of 24 hrs as a temp

Small businesses are the backbone of America.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

klosterdev posted:

I've had consistent luck using pdf24 for sites too small to have a fancy-pants scan-to-email printer. Crap interface, but free, no horrible drawbacks, and comes in .msi flavor.

Also @ shut up Meg

If your group policies don't ban cloud storage uploads, you can use Google's integrated apps to do PDF conversions (edit: uploading to gdocs and using the PDF whatever it's called which includes an OCR function)

It's still wonky but a hell of a lot easier than what it sounds like you have to deal with

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 13, 2019

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

"You're ripping us off!"

Sorry?

He's paying for synchronous DIA and comparing it to asynchronous BB?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

... but it shifted to be more of an exit interview now.

So, have you actually told them you're leaving now?

Not that I've been following this thread just to hear about the sweet moment you tell them you're leaving and walk away putting on your shades as the building detonates behind you...

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

klosterdev posted:

I've had consistent luck using pdf24 for sites too small to have a fancy-pants scan-to-email printer. Crap interface, but free, no horrible drawbacks, and comes in .msi flavor.
Just realised that I didn't give you the courtesy of a 'thank you' - sorry.
It's a helpful recommendation and I am going to remember it for friends/family use.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help me as our Desktop team will flat refuse to install any app that isn't on their approved list. And it appears that their requests to add to this list are flat ignored.
I can't make a request for an app to be authorised as I have no information on who to ask.
Any inquiries are bounced with the instructions that the Desktop team handle these things and I should talk to them.
It's a shadowy cabel, as far as I am concerned.

Funnily enough, they don't use applocker to block anything, just rules for the Desktop team. 5 years ago, I managed to convince one of them to install Keepass, on my old laptop but since then, I was never able to convince someone to allow it to update. So, it was sitting there, still usable, 4 years since the last security patch update.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Also @ shut up Meg

If your group policies don't ban cloud storage uploads, you can use Google's integrated apps to do PDF conversions (edit: uploading to gdocs and using the PDF whatever it's called which includes an OCR function)

It's still wonky but a hell of a lot easier than what it sounds like you have to deal with

Oddly, sticking stuff in the cloud seems to be allowable by the IT policies and I could easily do it. However, I don't think it is allowed by our GDPR/data security rules and so I am uncomfortable doing it. (I do actually respect data security, just not silly policies). My workaround is to scan using my desktop PC, edit it with my own software and then save it to the company onedrive. Not perfect, but I feel better than letting google get their mitts on it.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Unfortunately, it doesn't help me as our Desktop team will flat refuse to install any app that isn't on their approved list. And it appears that their requests to add to this list are flat ignored.
I can't make a request for an app to be authorised as I have no information on who to ask.
Any inquiries are bounced with the instructions that the Desktop team handle these things and I should talk to them.
It's a shadowy cabel, as far as I am concerned.

Is this sort of thing not solved by working up your management chain speaking to the equivalent level in the desktops management chain until you reach the same person. If it is needed to meet a legitimate outcome, then escalate until you get an answer on how to make this happen.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

KennyTheFish posted:

Is this sort of thing not solved by working up your management chain speaking to the equivalent level in the desktops management chain until you reach the same person. If it is needed to meet a legitimate outcome, then escalate until you get an answer on how to make this happen.

The correct process is for me to put together a business case, get it approved by my line manager, escalated to the regional manager and then submitted by my regional director to a C-level at the head office who will then instruct the chain beneath them to implement it.

This process will take about 6 months to complete.

It has never been successfully used. Ever.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dog_Meat posted:

So, have you actually told them you're leaving now?

Not that I've been following this thread just to hear about the sweet moment you tell them you're leaving and walk away putting on your shades as the building detonates behind you...

Yup, dropped my resignation letter Friday as soon as I had the signed offer in hand. Yesterday the VP of engineering wanted to meet to discuss my reasons for leaving. Last day is the 23rd. then I start at the new place on the 3rd so I get a bit of a break during which I'm going to Michigan for my girlfriend's brother's wedding.

The fuse was lit yesterday by naming names during that meeting. She all but confirmed fuckface is being set up as a team lead in the spot that should have been mine. I get the impression that she didn't know about 90% of what I told her since she rarely interacts with the devs directly until very recently (she also only joined our department about 7 weeks ago I guess). This is one week I'd love to be at the office for a change, so I could see her pulling these people into their own awkward meetings.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Shut up Meg posted:

This process will take about 6 months to complete.

It has never been successfully used. Ever.

"If we change nothing, nobody can be blamed for anything" muttered the C-level, as entropy continued its slow, unstoppable march.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yup, dropped my resignation letter Friday as soon as I had the signed offer in hand.
Congratulations! :yotj: I'm impressed you shared anything at all in the VP meeting. My former boss said during my last week, "I'm trying to get better, do you have any feedback for me?" I just smiled and declined to answer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The first world problem I have today is that I was told by my CIO that I need to assign a fire marshal within my teams. I have asked and nobody wants to volunteer as of yet. I have ignored it but now he is pressing the issue.

At this point I am going to have to assign someone. Someone is going to have to wear a stupid vest during fire drills and attend really dumb, pointless training. They are also going to have to "promise" to check the building to make sure everyone has gotten out, which I think is ridiculous and fantasy in a real fire.

gently caress

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what the hell kind of stupid facilities are you working in where the fire marshal / insurance decided you need to assign primary school hall monitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

what the hell kind of stupid facilities are you working in where the fire marshal / insurance decided you need to assign primary school hall monitors

I don't know and honestly I don't care. Fire marshals have been a thing at any office environment I have ever been in so, I didn't realize it wasn't the norm.