Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Honest Thief posted:

What's the word on dlc btw, any news?

They've told when the DLC will be published and a rough idea what's in it. The first one will be in October and it's just new items and more auxiliary maps with better drops. There will be another one in December which is new outfits and new monastery quests, so it's another trash DLC. Though they will be releasing a free update at the same time, so that's probably lunatic difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do note that Sylvain gets a really good combat art with A lances

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Honest Thief posted:

Do Armor Knights just kinda suck? Low movement, and not that great of dmg output. I guess for tanking dmg they're worth but they could have some sort of aggro ability.

What's the word on dlc btw, any news?

On Golden Deer postskip I managed to keep Ashe alive when he showed up on a map, but I didn't get a chance to recruit him. I thought by cornering him and not kill him he would join me.. nope

ive documented this itt but Ashe was the first unit I poached for the Golden Deer class and he did not return to my roster immediately post timeskip

He showed up as an enemy in chapter 15 and after having Byleth defeat him I got the option to spare him and all was well

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Blue Lions: any tips for what to do with Sylvain? Is it worth training up his heavy armor for Great Knight or would he be okay just chilling as a Paladin? I noticed his budding talent points him towards Dark Knight but his magic growth is nothing special.

I’d say train him in Heavy Armor just to have the option in your back pocket. If nothing else, he can get Weight -3 and pass the Fortress Knight exam for the defense bonus.

I sent him Brigand -> Paladin. Great Knight soon.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
My Golden Deer run has Petra/Ingrid/Anette being recruited because they are all supports for Claude (which can only be seen in GD route), and I am putting both Petra and Ingrid as flyers.

So I decided to make GD my flyer run, with Claude, Byleth, Hilda, Marianne, Petra and Ingrid as flying units :D

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arkeus posted:

My Golden Deer run has Petra/Ingrid/Anette being recruited because they are all supports for Claude (which can only be seen in GD route), and I am putting both Petra and Ingrid as flyers.

So I decided to make GD my flyer run, with Claude, Byleth, Hilda, Marianne, Petra and Ingrid as flying units :D

Needs more fliers

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Andrast posted:

Do note that Sylvain gets a really good combat art with A lances

Looking it up, it doesn't look really good? Sylvain already has high spd growth, so a combat art that is 'you double' is probably the same as just auto attacking on almost all enemies.

Andrast posted:

Needs more fliers

Forgot to include Leonie, yeah. She is one too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arkeus posted:

Looking it up, it doesn't look really good? Sylvain already has high spd growth, so a combat art that is 'you double' is probably the same as just auto attacking on almost all enemies.

It turns every lance into a Brave weapon which is really strong. It's really stupid with something like a killer lance or Lance of Ruin. That skill alone carried my otherwise mediocre Sylvain on my team.

Also Cavalier/Paladin/Great Knight all give -10 speed growth which hampers it quite a bit if you go the mounted route. Obviously less of an issue with you go flier.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 13, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I haven’t had any good ideas on what to do with Sylvain yet aside from “paladin with Lance of Ruin I guess??”

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Cyril's fine when the writers let him do something other than talk about how much he loves Rhea.

he also sucks when he talks about how much he loves working hard or gets mad at people for trying to help

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I haven’t had any good ideas on what to do with Sylvain yet aside from “paladin with Lance of Ruin I guess??”

It's basically all you need. If he turns out ok stat-wise then he'll rip poo poo up. Take him through Brigand for Death Blow, then Cavalier -> Paladin is all he really has to do, Great Knight is probably optional but if you want to, go for it.

DLC Inc posted:

Recruited Shamir randomly but since I'm in the Golden Deer, feels like having another Sniper alongside people with bow skills like Leonie/Ignatz/Claude is overkill. Leonie is a cavalier for me but wondering how viable it will be to move Claude to something else besides an archer archetype down the line, since he seems to have aptitude towards learning a lot of poo poo.

His unique classes are wyvern archers, if that makes him more interesting. Otherwise, he has good Flying and hidden Axes, so you could just make him a Wyvern Rider/Lord? He has bad Lances but you don't need it for Rider, and only need C for Lord (and could probably get away with D or D+ if you're willing to roll the dice on exams).

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 13, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Recruited Shamir randomly but since I'm in the Golden Deer, feels like having another Sniper alongside people with bow skills like Leonie/Ignatz/Claude is overkill. Leonie is a cavalier for me but wondering how viable it will be to move Claude to something else besides an archer archetype down the line, since he seems to have aptitude towards learning a lot of poo poo.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arkeus posted:

Forgot to include Leonie, yeah. She is one too.

Couldn't find a full-grown dragon for Raphael?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Coucho Marx posted:

It's basically all you need. If he turns out ok stat-wise then he'll rip poo poo up. Take him through Brigand for Death Blow, then Cavalier -> Paladin is all he really has to do, Great Knight is probably optional but if you want to, go for it.

“Take otherwise middling Blue Lions melee unit through Brigand for Death Blow” seems to be a running theme for this run (since I’m also doing it for Ashe and Ingrid)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Coucho Marx posted:

His unique classes are wyvern archers, if that makes him more interesting. Otherwise, he has good Flying and hidden Axes, so you could just make him a Wyvern Rider/Lord? He has bad Lances but you don't need it for Rider, and only need C for Lord (and could probably get away with D or D+ if you're willing to roll the dice on exams).

nice, Claude actually mentioned "I wanna work towards wyvern poo poo" so I've been putting him on Flying gruntwork for lessons a lot, boosting his Flying skill level by a shitload.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Claude also gets a prf sword

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

game's been out for a few weeks but i'm only just getting into it now. picked blue lions, only about 3-4 main missions in (just beat the first fog of war map).

everyone please stop praying for felix, you are making him too strong

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Felix is the Lon'Qu / Guy / Joshua / etc sword demon of the game and I love him. Have used him quite a bit in trying to permanently recruit him.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

nice, Claude actually mentioned "I wanna work towards wyvern poo poo" so I've been putting him on Flying gruntwork for lessons a lot, boosting his Flying skill level by a shitload.

Training his flying and getting him Alert Stance as a result probably saved his rear end a lot lategame when I had him do quite a bit of dodge tanking with significant chance of death as an aside

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Trying to decide what to do for Ch. 5 of my Eagles run. I’ve been trying to recruit Sylvain (as M!Byleth, because I’m an idiot) but I know he has unique dialogue for this chapter and I really wanna save it for my Lions playthrough. I’ve already got Lysithea, so there’s no one else I want to recruit right now either

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

also i gave dedue some gauntlets and :lol:

gauntlets are OP as gently caress, seriously what the hell. dude's defense is so high i slap an axe on him, park his rear end at edge of enemy range, and wait to give him +4 def. rally him with annette for additional strength. idiots waltz up, tink off his burly chest, and eat an axe for their troubles. then he gets a guaranteed double hit they can't react to when i gauntlet them next turn

so far the only units i have that don't feel at least baseline powerful is... sylvain? he's ok. he's started learning magic and feeling better so i might move him into some form of dark knight, if they're still around. ashe seems a bit weak but most archers do until you get levels under their belt. ingrid isn't strong but looking at the stats she has right now screams pegasus knight so i'll send her in that direction probably.

everyone else is nutty though. magic in this game is big powerful. felix and dedue are superstars. blue lions is a good house

trying to recruit other students but not really going out of my way stat-wise. just having lots of dinners and sharing gifts. i'm probably playing suboptimally by not maxing out my own students motivation through dinners or some poo poo but they're already at C rank with stats i care about most and i'm like 3 missions in, so, i'm fine, probably

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dedue and Annette are the royalty of murder mountain and the other units are there too I guess

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Andrast posted:

Claude also gets a prf sword

It requires A Swords, and he just gets more healing from it compared to anyone else. Not really worth pursuing when you could just hand it to your Assassin or other top sword user.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for people who have played normal/hard: what's the big difference in the hard difficulty? more enemies? higher stats for enemies/better AI decisions? all I know is that it limits how many times you can do a Battle for each week I think.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Basically from what I’m getting itt Sylvain’s hidden talent for reason is a trap and it’s not worth taking him down the dark knight path

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

“Take otherwise middling Blue Lions melee unit through Brigand for Death Blow” seems to be a running theme for this run (since I’m also doing it for Ashe and Ingrid)

Turns out having +6 dmg/hit (hello, gauntlets and Brave weapons!) on your turn is really good, and anyone with slightly dodgy Str growth can use that boost. Same with Fiendish Blow on Mage - Linhardt is just my heal/warp Bishop bot, but I sent him through Mage instead of Priest because if he has to Excalibur a bitch, by golly he's going to do it with all the power that lazy poo poo can muster (also Mage gets slightly better Mag growth, and Miracle sucks)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Dedue and Annette are the royalty of murder mountain and the other units are there too I guess

Lysithea is better than Annette in basically every way (especially when she gets her relic) but annette is cool if you don't recruit her i guess.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Lysithea is better than Annette in basically every way (especially when she gets her relic) but annette is cool if you don't recruit her i guess.

Annette is way cooler than Lysithea though

also Annette gets a cool axe

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 13, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I haven't yet because she refuses to hit B support!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lysithea is probably the best character in the game so it's not exactly a damming condemnation of annette if she's worse

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You know what's better than having the best mage in the game?

Having the best mage in the game and the second-best mage who is also the best girl.

(Okay, actually the second best mage is probably Hubert. But Annette is still the best. :colbert:)

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Lysithea doesn’t make cool songs so she’s automatically worse than Annette.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Basically from what I’m getting itt Sylvain’s hidden talent for reason is a trap and it’s not worth taking him down the dark knight path

is it a trap or is it just not optimal because tbh i just make choices based on style and fun

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You know what's better than having the best mage in the game?

Having the best mage in the game and the second-best mage who is also the best girl.

(Hubert)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
second best mage is probably flayn imo. She's not the best offensively but having rescue and fortify makes up for a hell of a lot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

is it a trap or is it just not optimal because tbh i just make choices based on style and fun

Just not optimal and this game really isn't hard enough to need any optimization

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Andrast posted:

Just not optimal and this game really isn't hard enough to need any optimization

now that's what i like to hear

sylvain come here i have a horse you need to ride

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I haven't played past BE, but looking at her stats and stuff, Annette just seems guilty of being the most boring offensive mage? Her growths are good but nothing special, and her spell list is fairly plain but gets the job done, only Excalibur stands out. Rally Str is nice and meshes with her other rallies but doesn't help her offense, and her Crest occasionally preserves a magic use but as a Warlock even her lowest-count spell has 8 charges, so it kinda falls off as the game goes on.

Lysithea is obviously bonkers. Hubert is the other dark mage and has two 1-3 range spells which helps positioning a lot. Dorothea gets Thoron for an early 1-3 range spell, Physic, and loving Meteor, which Hanneman also learns. Linhardt, Mercedes, and Marianne are all healers who can sling a damage spell pretty hard. Lorenz, Felix, Sylvain, and Edelgard are all potential hybrids (though only the first two are likely to work out at all).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Andrast posted:

Annette is way cooler than Lysithea though

nah

quote:

also Annette gets a cool axe

ok there's that and being the best rallybot in the game i guess

still though i like their support chain because they're both tryhard girls and feed off of each other for it :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

also i gave dedue some gauntlets and :lol:

gauntlets are OP as gently caress, seriously what the hell. dude's defense is so high i slap an axe on him, park his rear end at edge of enemy range, and wait to give him +4 def. rally him with annette for additional strength. idiots waltz up, tink off his burly chest, and eat an axe for their troubles. then he gets a guaranteed double hit they can't react to when i gauntlet them next turn

Gauntlets are basically just all brave weapons. They guarantee a double on player phase but have really low might. That low might is supposed to be a weakness but the characters who are good with gauntlets just happen to have crazy strength growth (Caspar, Dedue, Raphael, and Byleth are the standouts) which easily offsets the low might on the gauntlets themselves.

At this point I don't know why you'd ever use an axe on a non-flying unit because just about everyone who is good at axes is probably better off with gauntlets if they're on the ground. Edelgard and Hilda are potential exceptions if for some reason you don't make them both Wyvern Lords.