Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

The curse claims another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Turbo Mercedes motors are so powerful that, outside of a 10m radius from each car, reality is distorted such that it makes sense to buy and own one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I'm about to hop into mine and go buy beer and smile like an idiot the whole time

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The motor is absolutely astonishing. It makes total sense why Paganis use them.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
what have I done. What did I do? I did it, oh my god, I did it. It's mine. The S-Class is mine. It's in front of the house RIGHT NOW!

It's MARVELOUS! POWERFUL! QUIET!! COMFORTABLE!

....oh poo poo. what have I done.....

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Godspeed

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

GPF posted:

what have I done. What did I do? I did it, oh my god, I did it. It's mine. The S-Class is mine. It's in front of the house RIGHT NOW!

Youve done good

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GPF posted:

The last hurrah.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

GPF posted:

Its a 273 engined car with the 7-speed auto, youll mostly be fine as long as you can do the basic stuff yourself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A few days ago, I had a vivid dream where I was lightlyt-boned in an intersection, and then hit head on. The S65 felt unnaturally solid, just flipping the head on car without even shaking me in my seat. The airbags didn't go off, but somehow I knew the car was going to get totalled. I woke up with a most profound sense of relief that I would take a bath reselling the car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Today:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Oh poo poo lol

It doesnt look like this would total the car, but who knows?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm debating how any of my on again off again issues to tell the shop.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

None of them. They all arose or worsened by the impact.

Looks like you don't need to troubleshoot any trunk issues!

Did the other driver stop / have insurance?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

living the dream.

GPF posted:

You made a terrible financial decision that will put a smile on your face and cause others to irrationally hate you in traffic and at gas stations.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 11, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah.

Next time buy the W221.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meatpimp posted:

None of them. They all arose or worsened by the impact.

Looks like you don't need to troubleshoot any trunk issues!

Did the other driver stop / have insurance?

The other driver was pretty easy to work with. We both did some claims on the spot and exchanged insurance and contact info.

I'm afraid to even try to pop the trunk.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Hate it that you got tagged. Hope things work out in the positive direction.

Things are going well on my new ride. I've picked up a Bovee 1000 that hooks to the Apple connector in the glovebox to play music from my cellphone using Bluetooth. The only real problem is that it's made for Ipods, not Android. I pause what I'm listening to and it starts playing automatically. I have to switch from Auxiliary to MP3/Radio/something else to get it to pause the playback, and the master volume on Auxiliary is low, so the radio will blast if I forget to drop the volume. The other thing I had to get was the Bluetooth module adapter. Found it for a hundred bux on Ebay. Plug and play, works like a dream.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

GPF posted:

Hate it that you got tagged. Hope things work out in the positive direction.

Things are going well on my new ride. I've picked up a Bovee 1000 that hooks to the Apple connector in the glovebox to play music from my cellphone using Bluetooth. The only real problem is that it's made for Ipods, not Android. I pause what I'm listening to and it starts playing automatically. I have to switch from Auxiliary to MP3/Radio/something else to get it to pause the playback, and the master volume on Auxiliary is low, so the radio will blast if I forget to drop the volume. The other thing I had to get was the Bluetooth module adapter. Found it for a hundred bux on Ebay. Plug and play, works like a dream.

This educational thank u

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The other driver was pretty easy to work with. We both did some claims on the spot and exchanged insurance and contact info.

I'm afraid to even try to pop the trunk.

May your car be totaled and vastly overvalued.

I was hoping this would happen to me when my S60R started knocking but fortunately the knock was very subtle and I was able to pass it off on a dealer without them noticing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Initial estimate is 7k, with a ton of labor at $40/hr. None of the Mercedes special stuff accounted for. It's gonna be close, I think.

I'm so deep in Stockholm Syndrome that that seemed kind of low when I heard it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

You made a terrible financial decision that will put a smile on your face and cause others to irrationally hate you in traffic and at gas stations.

Lol have you had straight up hate towards you while getting gas? any good stories yet?

One of the things I like about our LS460 is it looks enough like a Toyota that we don't get the irrational luxury car hatred :v:

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
So far, no obvious hate. But then again, I pay no attention to people around me at the gas station. :-) A good friend of mine is jealous, but that's because he has a C-class.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not one ounce of hate here. People probably don't know what it really is.

It probably helps Hyundai ripped off the design cues so it blends in better. :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

kimbo305 posted:

Initial estimate is 7k, with a ton of labor at $40/hr. None of the Mercedes special stuff accounted for. It's gonna be close, I think.

lmao my Lincoln MKZ was nearly 8 after a minor impact. I can't even imagine that unseen AMG tax is waiting to be paid here.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Where are you going to find labor at $40/hr??? Actual repair cost of that is in the teens to do it properly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Where are you going to find labor at $40/hr??? Actual repair cost of that is in the teens to do it properly.

I'm with Amica, which is long time New England, so I'm surprised that they're using that as the estimate for labor.

Estimate has 31 body hours, 2 frame hours, 18 paint hours, about $2000.
If the labor is doubled, still not really pushing total threshold.

Just down to how sneaky those electrical gremlins will be.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

LOL get another estimate because it's going to come back covered in house paint

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

I'm with Amica, which is long time New England, so I'm surprised that they're using that as the estimate for labor.

Is Massachusetts a no-fault state? Those are the worst. In Ohio, you'd be dealing with the other driver's insurance, so there's a straight adversarial interaction from the start, but it's better that way, because both sides know the score. When you deal with your own insurance company, I feel your hands are tied a bit.

I got lucky in dealing with Erie insurance when I smashed Bambi's dad into the next dimension with my Envoy... I met the adjuster and showed him how clean it was everywhere and he went straight to a high-value appraisal. I'd suggest doing the same with your interactions, make it clear that you are going to be detail oriented. Use the posts from this thread, where you notices a misalignment of window garnish of a fraction of a millimeter.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol have you had straight up hate towards you while getting gas? any good stories yet?

One of the things I like about our LS460 is it looks enough like a Toyota that we don't get the irrational luxury car hatred :v:

Mostly folks mean muggin but I am in not very affluent part of town.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Is Massachusetts a no-fault state? Those are the worst. In Ohio, you'd be dealing with the other driver's insurance, so there's a straight adversarial interaction from the start, but it's better that way, because both sides know the score. When you deal with your own insurance company, I feel your hands are tied a bit.

I got lucky in dealing with Erie insurance when I smashed Bambi's dad into the next dimension with my Envoy... I met the adjuster and showed him how clean it was everywhere and he went straight to a high-value appraisal. I'd suggest doing the same with your interactions, make it clear that you are going to be detail oriented. Use the posts from this thread, where you notices a misalignment of window garnish of a fraction of a millimeter.

Yup, no fault. In a clear cut case, I've found insurers aren't too bad, because they'll just go after the other company. In iffy situations, they'll bottom-dollar you though. Just stick to your guns and have comps researched. Specifically, make sure they're quoting AMG parts. You can also get your own estimate from your preferred (high-end) body shop.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

muckswirler posted:

I'm taking it to the house body shop of the most expensive local dealer network that does Mercedes (Herb Chambers, for locals).
Not necessarily expecting good work or care, but am expecting high labor on everything. The agent they sent out seemed decently competent, and pulled up a lot of minutiae like the S65 badge.

I hope there'll be less passing the buck when it comes to addressing all non-body issues between the shop and the dealership.

meatpimp posted:

If the crash is ruled 50% or less your fault, you don't have to pay deductible. I believe they go after the other driver's insurance on your behalf if it's <50%.
I'm fortunate to not have been a crash in a while -- last time was '07 when insurance was more regulated and seemed to have little wiggle room.
The police wouldn't come out to the accident since it was pretty minor, but I don't expect any major pushback when one car has rear damage and one has front damage.

quote:

I got lucky in dealing with Erie insurance when I smashed Bambi's dad into the next dimension with my Envoy... I met the adjuster and showed him how clean it was everywhere and he went straight to a high-value appraisal. I'd suggest doing the same with your interactions, make it clear that you are going to be detail oriented. Use the posts from this thread, where you noticed a misalignment of window garnish of a fraction of a millimeter.

I can def use the pictures I've taken but probably not the posts where I extensively document pre-existing problems :ninja:
The left rear strut (the one I replaced) seems to be drooping faster than usual after parking. If there's anything in the ABC system that needs replacement, that'll probably be it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

muckswirler posted:

In my own experience, Amica contracts with decent body shops.

Also in my experience, Amica sends out independent contractors to appraise the damage (this may be a regional thing). The one they sent when my Altima got smacked valued it very fairly (... probably better than he should have, but he said he didn't want to total it after I told him about all the work I'd done recently), and told me flat out "if I were you I'd just pocket the check, the door still opens and closes fine, still seals fine, the car is straight, and it's not worth much more than the damage." I took his advice and used half of the check to get a new transmission put in. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 13, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

STR posted:

Also in my experience, Amica sends out independent contractors to appraise the damage (this may be a regional thing). The one they sent when my Altima got smacked valued it very fairly

The claims agent said it varies by geography, and since it's Boston, they have agents who come from their office in town.
We had some car scrape the Element (and crack a taillamp) that was street parked a week before, and I got two different agents from the office. Was hoping for one person so I'd get more sympathy or something.
I'm definitely gonnna replace the taillight myself and pocket that check. The scrape is on a plastic panel, so no rust issues.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

I'm taking it to the house body shop of the most expensive local dealer network that does Mercedes (Herb Chambers, for locals).
Not necessarily expecting good work or care, but am expecting high labor on everything. The agent they sent out seemed decently competent, and pulled up a lot of minutiae like the S65 badge.

I hope there'll be less passing the buck when it comes to addressing all non-body issues between the shop and the dealership.

LOL Vitti LOL

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Wait what, whats the total threshold? Doesnt the car book at like $17k or thereabouts?

Edit: I see MA may use a Total Loss Formula of Repairs + Salvage Value > ACV in order to total it out? If so thats lame.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 14, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

Wait what, whats the total threshold? Doesnt the car book at like $17k or thereabouts?

Edit: I see MA may use a Total Loss Formula of Repairs + Salvage Value > ACV in order to total it out? If so thats lame.

Paging tremek to the PM aisle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tremek posted:

Hmm, wonder how they calculate the salvage value, cuz that motor has gotta be close to the sale value right now.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do a W126 swap, you'll have the coolest s class of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Salvage value is usually like a quarter of some high percentage of the market value based on location iirc. I could be totally wrong but that's what brain say. Good luck on the fixing though that poo poo is a pain in the rear end.