Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

haveblue posted:

At release, pretty much all you could do in the game was fly to different planets, look at them, and buy upgrades so that flying to planets and looking at them was faster and less risky. This is where the reports of little depth or staying power came from. But since then, Hello Games has patched in all of the following:

-A storyline

Is this actually a thing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kind of? There was always a storyline hidden under the Atlas missions, but they did add in an additional questline that surfaces the lore in a much more digestible fashion while also providing meta-commentary on NMS itself in a really clever, if a tad self-indulgent, way.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Powershift posted:

as expected. using 2 sticks in this game is a poo poo show.

In farming simulator you can just map whatever axis of whatever is plugged in to whatever function.

This i needed x360ce to emulate a controller, and vjoy to combine the two into 1 input, And the thrustmaster software to turn some of the buttons into keyboard keys for functions the game wouldn't let me map to a controller.

There seems to be a little lag, not exactly surprising but it would be nice to find what is causing it.

Does the Steam gamepad mapping not have options to handle at least part of this? I know I've been able to map keyboard shortcuts to the paddles on the back of my Steam controller for instance, so I can go into photo mode with a single button.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ghostlight posted:

Kind of? There was always a storyline hidden under the Atlas missions, but they did add in an additional questline that surfaces the lore in a much more digestible fashion while also providing meta-commentary on NMS itself in a really clever, if a tad self-indulgent, way.

That sounds like no, which is fine, I just don't want to go in hoping they did more than write some stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m not kidding when I say the transition from space to planet is worth the cost of entry when the game is on sale.

I’ve got hundreds of hours in Elite Dangerous and it’s planetary transition has got nothing on the feeling of piloting your ship down to a planet in NMS

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fix posted:

That sounds like no, which is fine, I just don't want to go in hoping they did more than write some stuff.

Yeah that’s all they did. They just fleshed out the original Atlas storyline (which was mainly presented to those 2 dudes in the ball ship and the atlas stations) and now you interact with a couple more NPCs that explain things further. So the entire simulation aspect of the game is made explicit and like Ghostlight says they straight up make the initial launch / no MP controversy an actual plot point which is pretty loving cheeky.

The new storyline also covers the stargate and its how you get all the runes to fully operate them so from a mechanic points you want to go through it. It’s not too complicated and you’ll get through it by just traveling and exploring. The base building / blueprint storyline poo poo is more annoying, imo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm going to lose my mind if after adding even more crafting and items they didn't add more storage space.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Heck, if they unify storage in the new UI, that's enough for me. Trying to access the 0-9 containers in the current version is absurdly byzantine.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

All I really want is for them to divorce ship inventory size from ship appearance (within it's role, not asking for explorers to hold as much as haulers), so I don't feel compelled to use a ship I don't like the look of just because it has more room for modules. I don't think I'm going to get this in Beyond though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Inventory in general is... janky. You have your suit’s inventory, then each of your ships, then your freighter’s, then your bases storage boxes, then your freighter’s storage boxes I think as well. all of these are separate and need to be managed individually. When you’re managing your frigate fleet you have to constantly move poo poo from your freighter to make space for frigate loot, then you haver to store it somewhere because you can’t sell from your ship.

The entire thing should be remade. Break realism for simplicity and unify or at least link the various systems. I’d also love it if they just get rid of the visual format item has in exchange for a list view so it’s easier to manage the thousand of raw resources I keep for fuel / repair purposes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Inventory (and quick menus in general) are a total nightmare if you use non-default hotkeys. None of the hardbound UI keys respect changed keys so my brain breaks every time I have to use any of it. Really annoying.

I was hoping the next patch would fix it, but it's been a year since I last played and it hasn't changed in patches since then so I'm not hopeful :|

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
If Hello Games don't want to give us infinite storage capacity, than they definitely need to up the limits on almost everything.

Maxed exosuit is fine.
Starships need to expand on technology slots to allow more modules. Then increase storage max by another page of 48 slots, via questing or paid with nanites.
Freighters need to expand on storage by like 10 pages of 34 slots.
Exocraft storage is fine I think (I rarely use exocrafts).
Storage containers need to max out to 1 page of 48 slots if they're gonna keep them a big rear end cube.

It would be cool to use those other storage structures to store whatever like chests in Skyrim. Those can have the current storage container limit of 5 slots. It would be nice to have several small storage containers to put near bio-domes. Also it's been stated that big time farming is a thing in Beyond, so... WE NEED STORAGE.

I'm thinking of Stardew Valley, you create as many cheap chests as you want, put them wherever you want, all hold like 30 slots.

ijii fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 12, 2019

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

just increasing the stack size by, i dunno, 10x would help tremendously

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Just make raw materials not have a limit and be stored on their own tab. Then your inventory is “resources” and then a bunch of scifi goodies and gadgets rather than a mess.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've always found it slightly funny and very annoying that the giant vaults you build hold less than your backpack.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If they don't want to make deep changes to the inventory system, they should at least give you some kind of buildable inventory beacon that temporarily lifts the distance limit on moving stuff around.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

This idea that inventory space needs to be a rare resource really needs to die out. Gathering resources and crafting takes time, that time should be the price you pay in a mechanical sense (in the same way that spending ammo or losing health is the price you pay in combat). I don't mind a limited inventory in general, but in most games the limits ought to be much, much higher.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I finally got around to watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAo7b4HjtjQ

Sean mentions it sort of offhand, but the fact that people can see your hand motions in VR is awesome. When I played Minecraft VR, one of the most frustrating things about it was other people not seeing my hand motions. Saying "Its over there" and pointing is so much more simple and intuitive than describing something without hand movement. Every multiplayer VR game I've played that shows hand movement is noticeably enhanced by it

I'm stoked.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For real. I can understand an individual container, like your suit, having a fixed amount of space. But I have a basically infinite supply of pure ferrite and can figure out how to use it to make a simple box, let me make a billion boxes and fill them with assorted artfully arranged space junk.

My 30 foot long space jalopy should be able to hold more than a couple dozen pearls before it runs out of room in its hold. My freighter should be able to hold 50x to 500x what my ship can.

Maybe there are concerns about players being able to generate unlimited storage space as part of the unmodded game. But I suspect the inventory system is the way it is simply because so much of the UI in NMS is reinventing the wheel from scratch instead of starting with known good ideas and improving from there.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Thundarr posted:

For real. I can understand an individual container, like your suit, having a fixed amount of space. But I have a basically infinite supply of pure ferrite and can figure out how to use it to make a simple box, let me make a billion boxes and fill them with assorted artfully arranged space junk.

My 30 foot long space jalopy should be able to hold more than a couple dozen pearls before it runs out of room in its hold. My freighter should be able to hold 50x to 500x what my ship can.

Maybe there are concerns about players being able to generate unlimited storage space as part of the unmodded game. But I suspect the inventory system is the way it is simply because so much of the UI in NMS is reinventing the wheel from scratch instead of starting with known good ideas and improving from there.
I'm sure Sean or one of the devs said the reason behind the inexplicably stupid storage limits for certain key resources was because they didn't want people to game the system and just mine/buy 10000 of some survival resource so they didn't have to worry about it anymore.

The correct solution of course was who loving cares, let players play how they want.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 12, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If that’s true, it may be in response to something that happened shortly before launch, when someone got a copy of the game a few days early, then found a fast path to the galactic center and revealed what was there way ahead of schedule.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

toiletbrush posted:

I'm sure Sean or one of the devs said the reason behind the inexplicably stupid storage limits for certain key resources was because they didn't want people to game the system and just mine/buy 10000 of some survival resource so they didn't have to worry about it anymore.

The correct solution of course was who loving cares, let players play how they want.

Even then, aren't there mods that literally let you cheat anyway? And also they added creative mode...

Also the time it would take to mine/grind up money to buy 10k of something, let alone the fact that purchasable items are actually limited and can sell out, is already a hard limitation on that.

Basically, if they really gave that as a reason then they were more hopeless than I imagined.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I come back for NMS VR, I don’t think I’m gonna play the regular mode rat race ever again.

Wacky Space Architect is my true calling.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ToastyPotato posted:

Even then, aren't there mods that literally let you cheat anyway? And also they added creative mode...

Also the time it would take to mine/grind up money to buy 10k of something, let alone the fact that purchasable items are actually limited and can sell out, is already a hard limitation on that.

Basically, if they really gave that as a reason then they were more hopeless than I imagined.

Save editing in this game is absolutely trivial, there's a GUI based save editor out there that is a breeze to use. I'm actually curious if they're planning on changing that with save file encryption or something now that multiplayer is really opening up because you could very easily edit yourself a supership that just 1-hit kills everything in the game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, are there any mods that make it so that the numbered storage safes have say, 9 high-capacity slots (since normally they only have one or something stupid, don't they?), which also work fine for playing multiplayer?
I haven't tried modding with NMS before, but that's definitely something I'd want, since right now they don't seem particularly worthwhile. And I'd assume any mods like that would work with multiplayer since they don't impact other players' functionality (since they can't use my storage, I assume) but I thought it's best to check

Alternatively, do the 'locked crate' blueprint items you get actually function as low-capacity storage? I'm pretty sure Shockeh mentioned to me a while ago over Discord that they don't, but I could be imagining that conversation.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 13, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Does the Steam gamepad mapping not have options to handle at least part of this? I know I've been able to map keyboard shortcuts to the paddles on the back of my Steam controller for instance, so I can go into photo mode with a single button.

No, because it still only picks up 1 stick in game. x360ce lets me program each stick to one side of the controller, and Vjoy lets me combine them into 1 virtual controller. that the game picks up, but it still only lets you map certain analog functions as far as i can tell meaning X on the right stick has to be programmed as shoulder buttons with x360ce's analog to button function. It's kind of Meh with the pissweak space enemies though.

Dual stick Star Wars Episode 1 Racer though, now that is loving podracing. It's amazing how much faster you can go than even the hardest AI with that much control. For NMS though I'll probably go back to controller if the new update has fun poo poo, and leave the dual sticks to more stick friendly games.

Sucks though, i wanted to map the sticks like a caterpillar for the ground vehicles

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Any idea what kind of timing Hello uses for their patches? It'd probably have to be a simultaneous release across regions so what are we looking at, evening tomorrow UTC?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Powershift posted:

as expected. using 2 sticks in this game is a poo poo show.

In farming simulator you can just map whatever axis of whatever is plugged in to whatever function.

This i needed x360ce to emulate a controller, and vjoy to combine the two into 1 input, And the thrustmaster software to turn some of the buttons into keyboard keys for functions the game wouldn't let me map to a controller.

There seems to be a little lag, not exactly surprising but it would be nice to find what is causing it.

I'm hoping the as a side effect of this vr thing, they ended up fixing the keyboard and mouse flight controls. It would make the game way more enjoyable for me if I could control the ship with wasd and it would also be great to be able to look around the ship with kb+m

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm hoping they roll out a bunch of bug fixes they've hopefully been sitting on for the last year.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 13, 2019

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I want quality of life tech that does stuff like recharge your ships thrusters while you’re off exploring or recharge your life support/tools etc while they’re not in use. Having to find the fuel manually is good for getting noobs exploring but it’s a really tedious mechanic after about an hour.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Are animals supposed to make sounds? I can't remember hearing any.

toiletbrush posted:

I want quality of life tech that does stuff like recharge your ships thrusters while you’re off exploring or recharge your life support/tools etc while they’re not in use. Having to find the fuel manually is good for getting noobs exploring but it’s a really tedious mechanic after about an hour.

The Launch Thruster should really get a free refuel any time you land somewhere that doesn't use up fuel to lift off. At least you can buy the fuel itself for a pittance for now.

Hopefully there is a lot of quality of life stuff in "2.0"

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Drone posted:

Any idea what kind of timing Hello uses for their patches? It'd probably have to be a simultaneous release across regions so what are we looking at, evening tomorrow UTC?

iirc, the Next update was 9 AM EST on Steam and 12 PM EST on PS4

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Another change I would really like is if they find another solution to the problem of refueling in space other then just spawning a billion asteroids everywhere we go. It's really emersion breaking.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Pigbottom posted:

Another change I would really like is if they find another solution to the problem of refueling in space other then just spawning a billion asteroids everywhere we go. It's really emersion breaking.

Very much agreed. The density of asteroids in each system would render space not only impassable, but also completely opaque, and all the planets would be terminally bombarded with meteor showers beyond apocalyptic dimensions. While that's obvious to everyone including the devs, it's still poo poo that annoys me.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
With the patch coming up I started playing again and RNG named the first planet I landed on "Notworking Area"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

Very much agreed. The density of asteroids in each system would render space not only impassable, but also completely opaque, and all the planets would be terminally bombarded with meteor showers beyond apocalyptic dimensions. While that's obvious to everyone including the devs, it's still poo poo that annoys me.

Well, if you "experienced" the story of NMS I have good news for you: Space in NMS is not real space but a corrupted computer simulation, so the devs have no reason to ever change this!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Y'all should wait for the patch to start a new game. An article mentioned that in Beyond the intro/tutorial sequence is being streamlined to take 30 minutes as opposed to 2+ hours and covers only the super basic/necessary stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I figure I'll start a creative mode game to wrap my head around VR and then do a fresh start in normal mode. I have two saves with S-class stuff and tens of millions of credits but VR is enough of a reason to start clean.

Man, I can't believe it's coming out tomorrow. I'm keeping my expectations in check but this is the most hyped I've been for a game in ages.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

between this and rebel galaxy outlaw, space is back, baby! awoooo (wolf howl)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, this game has grown so much from its original form. In such a good way.