Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Harrow posted:

Doesn't Lysithea only get 5 range with her S-rank skill, though? She has 4 range with Thyrsus I thought.

she gets dark magic range+1 with S reason and white magic range+1 with S faith

granted i had her at S+ reason and S in faith (and authority) by endgame so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Doesn't Lysithea only get 5 range with her S-rank skill, though? She has 4 range with Thyrsus I thought.

I kind of forgot that Lysithea doesn't get a 3-range spell by default

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This is really route dependant. Like no one is hitting S ranks on Edelgard's route.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well that's what I meant. With those same skills any mage with a crest can get 4 range using Caduceus. Obviously 5 range is still better but y'know.

Actually, does Caduceus require a crest? I never tested.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
They will if you recruit everybody and just hit the monastery like two or three times after the timeskip

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Annette is kind of a weird unit, I think. Her spell list is nothing special, and you have to put in more work to get her to Gremory than with any other female mage (student, at least). She could go Dancer but her Rally is so good I'd rather have the option to have someone dance for her so she can Rally two units.

Wind is a great starter spell, though, since it's very light.

Edit: OTOH Marianne probably wants reason to get something lighter than Nosferatu unless you have her hitting the gym for paladin cert (which she almost qualifies for a good chance at if a Holy Knight)

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 13, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

They will if you recruit everybody and just hit the monastery like two or three times after the timeskip

i figure on my black eagles run lysithea might "just" have S reason instead of S/S+ in three skills, oh no

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't hit S on a single character with anything in my BE run.

Probably would have if I had done it in NG+ though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got a good amount of S-rank skills and a couple S+ in my Golden Deer run, but mostly only on units who I used a ton and who had a very clear focus.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I just hit timeskip on my BL playthru and uh does Dimitri ever chill the gently caress out cuz he is really harshing my vibe

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's plenty of reasons not to ignore axes entirely in favor of fists:

Enemy phase
Armors tend to have high enough defense that low gauntlet might is genuinely an issue, and your mages might be occupied elsewhere
Combat arts
Fists have no ranged option
There's so few kinds of gauntlets in the game that you're almost never gonna need more than, like, two in anyone's inventory at any given time. Might as well fill the rest of it with axes
Axes are cool

Fake edit: Wow, that conversation extremely moved on in the time it took me to write this. Whatever, leaving the post here anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

https://twitter.com/finalfantasy/status/1161261369456517122

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I just hit timeskip on my BL playthru and uh does Dimitri ever chill the gently caress out cuz he is really harshing my vibe

seeing how dimitri works through his mental issues is probably the main reason i'm doing BL as my second run so wait and see i guess?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Harrow posted:

Incidentally, it occurs to me that the Blue Lions are the only house that doesn't get a Warp user by default so I'm either going to have to use Manuela or change up my recruitment plans if I want Warp. I don't want to use Lysithea two runs in a row but I guess I could grab Linhardt and go over my self-imposed recruitment limit. Or just not use Warp and see how that goes.

Coucho Marx posted:

I love it though, it's so odd that they thought it out anyway. Bernadetta actually has a pretty incredible spell list both ways; Thoron, Fimbulvetr, Physic, and Rescue? That's pretty drat good, but nobody will ever see them. In fact, five characters learn Fimbulvetr, but the vast majority of players will never see it cast by anyone other than Marianne.

These kind of go hand-in-hand, as some stuff is just limited in-between routes. As mentioned, within the house itself BL have no Warp users (though Manuela is a free grab, and Lysithea's a good recruit target anyways), and for all intents and purposes BE route have no Rescue access whatsoever. Yes, Bernie technically has it, but her magic growth is so atrocious that no one's just going to randomly make her a mage - even people in the know who do aren't going to get a particularly great unit out of doing so, and the range on her Rescue is going to be terrible (bar growing and dumping ALL the Mag boosters into her... which in order to not be wasted will have to wait until post-timeskip).

Hell, for the person bringing up Bolting, even Hilda has a better Mag growth than her.

Harrow posted:

No. Golden Deer is where you get the lore.

Eh, that specific piece of lore you can get on any route other than Edelgard's, I believe.

Harrow posted:

Well that's what I meant. With those same skills any mage with a crest can get 4 range using Caduceus. Obviously 5 range is still better but y'know.

Actually, does Caduceus require a crest? I never tested.

Someone upthread mentions it works, but a character without a crest is taking 10 damage per cast with it equipped.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw! I'm glad that this HD remaster is looking better than the FF7 and FF9 remasters.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
By the time my Lysithea was a Gremory everyone else was either cav or flying so she consistently trundled along at the back of the pack with Hilda once the enemy's initial charge was done and it was time to move in on the enemy :( Black Knight Lorenz became my MVP mage late-game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Someone upthread mentions it works, but a character without a crest is taking 10 damage per cast with it equipped.

Oh, right, I know how relics work I just didn't remember if Caduceus was one.

Poor Dorothea, no range staff for her. Good thing she has Meteor.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

not only do you need an amiibo to unlock it, it needs to be a fire emblem amiibo. dumb as hell.

What a bizarre thing to keep locked to ng+

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Caduceus isn't a Hero's Relic so it shouldn't damage anyone. I know the bow Leonie can get doesn't hurt her and it's the same type.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 18, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Oooh, I love this stuff. Did you know that?

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
hey fellow nerds

progress on my fire emblem three houses management tool progresses

https://imgur.com/R5uvN9g

what would you like to see in a tool like this? i'm starting to think that the tools for awakening and fates were more justified because the character development was a little more constrained and complex lol.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Zore posted:

Theres 0 reason not to train both Faith and Reason for anyone you have using magic

nah some characters just have a lovely reason spell list (marianne) and it's way easier to just level your healbot to c in swords (or whatever magic weapon you pick up, you can craft magic bows I dunno about bolt axes and magi-lances) and have an on demand laserbeam that will have 1-3 range.

then you can level up like authority and have one of the extremely powerful gambits or go holy knight or etc.

not a lot of characters actually benefit from doing both past a certain point.

Deified Data posted:

By the time my Lysithea was a Gremory everyone else was either cav or flying so she consistently trundled along at the back of the pack with Hilda once the enemy's initial charge was done and it was time to move in on the enemy :( Black Knight Lorenz became my MVP mage late-game.

that's why you inject both with +move, hilda with the ring and lysithea with not-boots. Gremory actually ought to keep up, given it has mage's special movement but a normal infantry's tiles. and of course range, in the case of lys

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why can't I hire the Greil Mercenaries as a battalion

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Harrow posted:

Oh, right, I know how relics work I just didn't remember if Caduceus was one.

Poor Dorothea, no range staff for her. Good thing she has Meteor.

Whoops, yeah I was thinking of Thrysus. It's at least possible all the Saint relics function like The Inexhaustible, and thus deal no damage, but I haven't actually checked.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

am I correct in saying if you switch a person to a physical class like Archer/knight/etc that you won't be able to use magic you've learned? Like if I learned healing stuff as Ignatz, I won't be able to use it if he's an Archer class later? Just making sure I'm not missing something.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

am I correct in saying if you switch a person to a physical class like Archer/knight/etc that you won't be able to use magic you've learned? Like if I learned healing stuff as Ignatz, I won't be able to use it if he's an Archer class later? Just making sure I'm not missing something.

that is correct

like i gave up on my early plans to have marianne go pegasus knight, for instance, because it meant she'd have lost access to magic and since she was my main healer throughout my first run i couldn't have that

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Heart Attacks posted:

hey fellow nerds

progress on my fire emblem three houses management tool progresses

https://imgur.com/R5uvN9g

what would you like to see in a tool like this? i'm starting to think that the tools for awakening and fates were more justified because the character development was a little more constrained and complex lol.

needs shipping table

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Heroes' relics (the ones with gold icons) damage anyone without a crest but the other relics (the ones with silver icons) don't. They can be wielded just fine by anyone but have reduced effects for people without crests.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy, the Duscar rebels got owned real hard by six guys and eight children

Still want to just have the game be about that instead of Edge Lord's bullshit

quote:

Heroes' relics (the ones with gold icons) damage anyone without a crest but the other relics (the ones with silver icons) don't.

Is it any crest or a matching crest? Can Felix have the Sword of the Creator?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Anyone with A crest can wield a heroes' relic but you need the correct crest to use the special art.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Super No Vacancy posted:

needs shipping table

like this kind of thing

https://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/fire-emblem-nintendo-switch/8/8b/FETH_SupportChart2.jpg?width=1920

?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
does Petra have a good magic list? I want to make her the Starfire that she was meant to be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

does Petra have a good magic list? I want to make her the Starfire that she was meant to be.

No, she also has an atrocious magic growth

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
like that's not something a few veggies can't fix.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I missed Felix so much so I made Petra a swordmaster and hoo boy is she a murderer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

like that's not something a few veggies can't fix.

I mean her magic list may be the worst in the game. Its just

Reason: Wind, Sagittae
Faith: Heal, Nosferatu, Restore

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I poached Petra in my BL run and turned her into an assassin. Her str lagged a bit but literally nobody could hit her with anything and she had so much loving crit her strength didn't even really matter. I gave her a Killer Sword+, a Levin Sword+, and a Silver Bow+ and could reliably send her into a blob of enemies confident she'd come out without a scratch and almost everything around her would be dead.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Why can't I hire the Greil Mercenaries as a battalion

Alas, Ike and Soren traveled elsewhere.

(I know! IDK how it would make no sense, I would love legacy references in the battalions. Give me Macedonian Pegasus Knights! There are barely any flying ones as it is.)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

speaking of which i feel i waited the entirety of golden deer to get an S rank battalion and was disappointed i never got any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m making Petra a flyer this run. She’s going to go through both Pegasus Knight and Wyvern Rider, but which of Falcon Knight vs Wyvern Lord is she better in for her master?