Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Triarii posted:

Might I recommend slicksters

I actually got a care package of 3 eggs but apparently the pressure killed them as soon as they hatched :(

Now that you mention that though that's probably what you're supposed to do on Arborea, since you get irregular oil placement as part of that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
More like the temperature was well outside their livable range. They like it much hotter than your dupes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I only figured out my slicksters were dying to temperature on like my tenth colony. Animals and what's threatening their health is an area that could definitely use a lot more specific feedback than, "Oh gently caress where'd everything in my ranch go?"

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Well, the first step to dealing with CO2 is to dig down and worry about it later. Once that is no longer an option, you will fortunately find yourself at the perfect location to raise slicksters.

Unless you're on one of those frozen core maps, then I guess you're hosed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Triarii posted:

Well, the first step to dealing with CO2 is to dig down and worry about it later. Once that is no longer an option, you will fortunately find yourself at the perfect location to raise slicksters.

Nah, frozen core fixes the problem by freezing the CO2 to a FAR more dense and easily handled fluid!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Progress continues:

I have way less time to play with my new job, along with trying to accomplish way too much without actually making atmo suits yet. But it is slowly coming together.

The way these geysers are laid out has given me some very cool opportunities to work with, so I'm excited for when I have things up to speed.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 13, 2019

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Nah, frozen core fixes the problem by freezing the CO2 to a FAR more dense and easily handled fluid!

Great, now all you need is some kind of ice slickster that chugs liquid CO2 and poops solid, frozen crude oil.

Also, fun tidbit: so verdante asteroids don't have ice biomes, meaning no wolframite/tungsten. Iron and gold have melting points too low to survive rocket exhaust, but I figured it's no big deal, I'd just make all of my rocket-adjacent wires and doors out of steel.

Welp, turns out hydrogen rockets burn hot enough to melt steel. Whoops.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
If you use the water over vent trick to cram a huge amount of CO2 in a tiny room, does it become an amazing heat-sink just by virtue of being so drat massive?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

If you use the water over vent trick to cram a huge amount of CO2 in a tiny room, does it become an amazing heat-sink just by virtue of being so drat massive?

No because the thermal conductivity of that gas isn't great. It'll store a lot of heat but it will transfer slowly. Hydrogen is a better bet (and it still loses to almost every liquid)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 13, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I am legit surprised how well my dupes are handling this terraforming with no suits

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Triarii posted:

weirdly, frozen core does not preclude oil biomes with slicksters, they're separated by abyssalite so the oil is +80C and the ice core a couple tiles away is -150C :shrug:

Thanks for the tip about slicksters and temperature, I probably would not have realized that for a long time, durp. I just kind of ruined that map and decided to resign, I did the awful industrialist strip mining thing with indiscriminate use of petrol generators and filled a huge portion if it with CO2, I decided I want to try to do something more like this and cultivate the little pockets of exotic atmo:

also it looks like cultivating sleet wheat is really easy since they just need cold temperature and a little O2/CO2? nothing else?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Triarii posted:

Welp, turns out hydrogen rockets burn hot enough to melt steel. Whoops.

wow jet fuel really can melt steel beams!

e: what a nice little water feature to have in your base, never going to mine this out:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 13, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Finally managed to build the Nature Reserve main stairwell thing :kimchi:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively in the short-term, carbon skimmers.

i love carbon skimmers, they're basically the sole reason my reed/arbor tree farm is working since i haven't found a slush geyser yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't it much better to beeline for space and then dump all your CO2 out there rather than skimming it?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trees eat pwater like crazy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't it much better to beeline for space and then dump all your CO2 out there rather than skimming it?

I'm extremely noob and also playing on Arborea so things like water and air are a bit harder than on most of the other maps, you start with much less fresh water and no algae; there's a lot of caches of ethanol and last time around I ran a petrol generator a lot and completely ignored CO2 while doing a bunch of sideways digging looking for water and oops, I got over 2kg pressure and everything got a lot harder. I moved my rust deoxidizers inside the base and oop,s I have chlorine everywhere. So rather than play like a dirty industrialist I'm trying to keep my poo poo contained a little better:

I just finished setting up a basic clean O2 setup still have a ton of CO2 built up inside the main base and juuuuuuuuuust getting to the point I can make atmo suits, I guess if I had dug out more aggressively I might have found more algae and spent less time farting around trying to make pips plant oxyferns at the bottom of the base :shrug:

e: sealed air and power (no room to expand because apparently I placed it right on top of a buried volcano, but whatever

and I didn't even mess up my pretty little water feature

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 13, 2019

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I found a copper volcano, walled it off, then rigged up a system to flood the chamber with water to cool the copper it spits up. I was surprised to find that none of the water I dump in there is flashing to steam despite the metal being 600+ degrees. This isn't a huge deal because I wasn't planning on using the steam for anything, but I am curious why even a little of the water isn't transitioning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because there is 1000 kilograms of water per tile and you are dumping a few kilos of molten copper into it, and the way the game handles temperature transfer is per-tile so all of that water is absorbing the heat uniformly and just getting slightly warm.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

At this point there's about six tons of super hot copper sitting in the one tile, but I take your point. Thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it's at the bottom of the pool I would imagine that it can't form steam due to all the water being around it. Physics simulation is weird and generally can't handle displacement of one substance by another due to state changes, especially at liquid pressures. I think the way it works is the gas would need a tile to form in by combining partially full tiles out of the way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I forget the exact property but basically the heat "weight" of refined metals is quite low and they tend to spread it out pretty quick. Yeah it's tons of metal but the amount of heat each ton holds is pretty low compared to all the liquids.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Specific heat capacity?

Certainly water has a quite high one compared to most things so it's quite possible the metal is lower than it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SHC of Copper: .385
SHC of Water: 4.179

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I know that my iron volcano drops into my waste water pool and the pwater is barely changed at all by the time it's safe to pick up the iron.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
As long as the metal gets cold enough to solidify there’s very little reason to do anything other than just carry it to a big tank of water. Unless you’re pulling power out of a turbine and care about that, just have a dude in a suit pick it up and store it in some big pool every once in a while. Keep the volcano relatively sealed up and forget it exists, pop wall every 100 cycles and hooray you prob just gained 25-50t of refined metal for little to no effort.

Easiest with gold (which is also the best general construction/tile/wire metal because of decor bonus), hardest with iron because of their heat capacities.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mazz posted:

As long as the metal gets cold enough to solidify there’s very little reason to do anything other than just carry it to a big tank of water. Unless you’re pulling power out of a turbine and care about that, just have a dude in a suit pick it up and store it in some big pool every once in a while. Keep the volcano relatively sealed up and forget it exists, pop wall every 100 cycles and hooray you prob just gained 25-50t of refined metal for little to no effort.

Easiest with gold (which is also the best general construction/tile/wire metal because of decor bonus), hardest with iron because of their heat capacities.

Also iron volcanoes have the highest output temperature, which makes them useful for melting regolith into igneous to feed stone hatches. Which is slightly less absurd than using cargo rockets to feed your hatch farm.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have not played a ton yet so far, but I have picked up the basics. After my base is otherwise stable and I have reached the point where one coal generator does not cut it anymore, what should I do? Make a second coal generator or transition to another power source and if so, what? For now I have enough coal coming in from hatches in to support additional generator but that is going to make an awful lot of carbon dioxide.

Two other questions. How much water do electrolyzers use up when making oxygen, if they become my source of oxygen will I need to continuously search out new supplies of water or will a good size pool last me for a long time?

Finally, how many dupes can be supported by one electrolyzer?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

silentsnack posted:

Also iron volcanoes have the highest output temperature, which makes them useful for melting regolith into igneous to feed stone hatches. Which is slightly less absurd than using cargo rockets to feed your hatch farm.

Now this is a setup I would love to see, that sounds super useful. How do you deposit the regolith in the melting chamber, and does the temperature work out just right that it doesn't keep going on to liquid stone or whatever?

(Tried doing something like this with polluted water into boiled water and dirt. It went.....poorly. Dirt kept melting to sand and stuff.)

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Diogines posted:

How much water do electrolyzers use up when making oxygen, if they become my source of oxygen will I need to continuously search out new supplies of water or will a good size pool last me for a long time?

Finally, how many dupes can be supported by one electrolyzer?

According to the wiki a single electrolyzer uses 1kg/sec of water. Since there are 600 seconds in a day, that works out to 600 kg, or 60% of a tile of water, each cycle.

Each electrolyzer creates 888g of O2 each second, and the average duplicant needs 100g per second so you can sustain eight with one electrolyzer.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

That was very helpful, thank you. So, basically, I need to periodically restock but not at a tremendous rate.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Can a dupe dig a hole so deep that he dies of CO2 suffocation before he realizes that there is no way back out? Turns out he can.

gently caress.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It's not really that much CO2 from a coal generator. You'll be fine with a second one as long as you have the coal for it through a hatch farm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Can a dupe dig a hole so deep that he dies of CO2 suffocation before he realizes that there is no way back out? Turns out he can.

gently caress.

Duplicants can and will kill themselves if you ask them to do anything remotely complicated.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol this is terrible don't do this

- 1 carbon skimmer wasn't enough to support 1 generator even with it only running part time
- 2 rust deoxidizers make way more chlorine than the 7 saltvines can consume, also evacuate all the CO2 before closing it up duh

"build it bigger" seems to be the way to go I guess, so much for environmental conservation :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

OwlFancier posted:

Duplicants can and will kill themselves if you ask them to do anything remotely complicated.
I've been playing this game for about an hour and I already wish they had found a way to duplicate people who aren't habitual paint-huffers. This is going to be an experience, I can already tell.

The real pre-pre-alpha Dwarf Fortress experience starts here. :allears:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

with valve separation and high pressure vents you can cram gobs of gasses into any ole hollowed out space you can find.

And if you were to store these gasses in a cold biome you could return them cold for a bit of extra heat dissipation.

Edit: Don't depend on the ice as part of your containment vessel.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CainFortea posted:

with valve separation and high pressure vents you can cram gobs of gasses into any ole hollowed out space you can find.

And if you were to store these gasses in a cold biome you could return them cold for a bit of extra heat dissipation.

Edit: Don't depend on the ice as part of your containment vessel.

careful near that load-bearing oxylite

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silentsnack posted:

careful near that load-bearing oxylite

maybe I should do a groverONI playthrough video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been playing this game for about an hour and I already wish they had found a way to duplicate people who aren't habitual paint-huffers. This is going to be an experience, I can already tell.

The real pre-pre-alpha Dwarf Fortress experience starts here. :allears:

eh, dwarf fortress is still extremely terrible in this respect, try channeling into aquifer in a freezing biome, no matter what you do the miner always manages to get frozen like 100% of the time
e: man this alllllmost works

e: okay it actually works fine once you get all the inappropriate gases out

the chlorine pressure is dropping steadily, probably 4 saltvines to each rust deoxidizer is a good ratio.

also the ice tempshift plates suggestion for melting ice is very good, thanks for that

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 13, 2019