Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

I dunno man, it sure looks like a helipad to me.

Who marks helipads like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

luxury handset posted:

the contractor on the plan also looked at wright's design and was like "this loving thing is going to fall into the creek" so he secretly upped the amount of reinforcement on the foundation and the thing is still about ready to fall into the creek

"hey boss, the plans call for stonework but we're already over budget..."

"figure out it, you're a bright kid"

just lol if your house isn't at least a 5.11a

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

luxury handset posted:

many MCM homes were built for middle class white folks when the 20th century suburban boom was fully raging (white flight) so many of them are still reasonably priced, since they are basically just very stylish tract homes a dozen or more miles away from city centers

It’s quite possible to find mid century townhouses in cities. There’s an entire Mies van der Rohe neighborhood in Detroit. Where we are in SW DC there’s a lot of mid century because of urban renewal. We live in a townhouse that’s part of a development that was a project between HUD and Reynolds aluminum, back when aluminum was going to be the building material of the future. (Hint: that never happened)

They’re all moneypits because for several generations, Americans decided they didn’t want to maintain the infrastructure they depended upon.

But the light is amazing, and the rooms are the right size for human beings.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
is this a living room or a furniture store

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

luxury handset posted:

is this a living room or a furniture store

It looks like an extremely low budget knock off of the house from The Umbrella Academy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

White walls and dark trim just doesn't look good.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

gvibes posted:

Keck and Keck in Chicago was pretty good: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago-Heights/240-Country-Club-Rd-60411/home/12836870 (yours for only 325k!)

Put in a real range hood and this would be the perfect kitchen. Provides a ton of counterspace while keeping a close work triangle, has actual dedicated cabinet space for large pots and pans (instead of having to stick them on top of the fridge like in my kitchen), and is open to the dining area without putting cooking messes front and center in the room.

The built-in cabinets next to or below most of the windows in the house are also genius.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Platystemon posted:

It’s a helipad. There’s a windsock on the roof too.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

20,000 square feet (mansion + 2 carriage houses) on 4 acres in the center of Detroit can be yours for $3.25 million

In a real mansion the piano gets its own room

is that a muppet head on the wall

The floorplan is kinda interesting actually and shows the difference between 1914 luxury and modern luxury. More bedrooms than bathrooms for one.

Is it really a Secret Room if it's labeled on the floor plan?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

baka spotted

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

Someone, perhaps you, should have told Germany this. Look at these embarrassing houses! Absolutely hideous. Good thing it's only these few houses and not cities full of them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

value-brand cereal posted:

Someone, perhaps you, should have told Germany this. Look at these embarrassing houses! Absolutely hideous. Good thing it's only these few houses and not cities full of them.

England also, though they say these are "tudor" I can only see the one entrance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

England also, though they say these are "tudor" I can only see the one entrance.

I always thought these looked better with the original slotted screws, not this modern Phillips garbage.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Goober Peas posted:

A contrast that's a little less dramatic, perhaps?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jaded Burnout posted:

And all those giant phillips heads. Where are you going to get screwdrivers that big?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wesleywillis posted:

And all those giant phillips heads. Where are you going to get screwdrivers that big?

No problem.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I always thought these looked better with the original slotted screws, not this modern Phillips garbage.

wesleywillis posted:

Sorry, I grabbed that photo from the ikea assembly instructions.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Agreed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Is it really a Secret Room if it's labeled on the floor plan?
The bedroom contains your bed, the piano room contains your piano, the secret room contains your secrets. The hidden ledgers, the pictures of you loving the au pair, the hulking son that is mentally 5, shackled to the wall and regularly pacified with passing hitchhiker girls.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The “in-law’s suite” in the attic is definitely for the servant, not your in-laws. I’d wager all the bedrooms in the attic (note only one bathroom between them) are for the servants.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

People who don't actually have enough space for a helipad and have to use the inside of the circle for the weight rating and to mark it as private.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I grew up in a craftsman house where the walls were painted canvas panels separated by wood that had been stained dark through exposure to ammonia. It's quite a look.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

:toot:er

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Megillah Gorilla posted:

oh boy, cheap 'vintage' 'industrial' restoration hardware that belongs nowhere save for an actual industrial refurb except with taste and quality

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
which will get used less, the really high shelving or the ladder that is supposed to make them accessible?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PRADA SLUT posted:

oh boy, cheap 'vintage' 'industrial' restoration hardware that belongs nowhere save for an actual industrial refurb except with taste and quality

I just like to imagine you could have someone throw you up a muffin in the morning rather than have to walk down the stairs.

All houses should be designed around such simple goals.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

which will get used less, the really high shelving or the ladder that is supposed to make them accessible?

Does constantly pushing something out of the way after you've tripped over it count as 'use' ?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The “in-law’s suite” in the attic is definitely for the servant, not your in-laws. I’d wager all the bedrooms in the attic (note only one bathroom between them) are for the servants.

Absolutely. That's why they have a stairway that goes straight down to the Butler's Pantry.

I particularly like the disconnect between 1914 luxury and now with how the kitchen is completely disconnected from the flow of the home, separated by multiple doors no matter which direction you try to go, because if you're 1914 rich why would you ever go into a kitchen except to fire the scullery maid? Contrast with modern rich where huge kitchens are typically part of the giant open-concept lump of main floor living space.

edit – gilded-age rich meets modern rich: the troublesome-to-access kitchen has a dining table and a giant EAT sitting on the counter

FoldableHuman fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 13, 2019

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Scratch Monkey posted:

looks like cat storage to me

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I often have a lot of anxiety and confusion regarding what I should be doing in various rooms, wall words help me know where I should EAT, where I should LAUGH and/or LOVE, and where I should CHERISH FRIENDSHIP & FAMILY.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FoldableHuman posted:

Absolutely. That's why they have a stairway that goes straight down to the Butler's Pantry.

I particularly like the disconnect between 1914 luxury and now with how the kitchen is completely disconnected from the flow of the home, separated by multiple doors no matter which direction you try to go, because if you're 1914 rich why would you ever go into a kitchen except to fire the scullery maid? Contrast with modern rich where huge kitchens are typically part of the giant open-concept lump of main floor living space.

edit – gilded-age rich meets modern rich: the troublesome-to-access kitchen has a dining table and a giant EAT sitting on the counter

And bizarrely, two microwaves in the butler’s pantry. I hadn’t noticed before, but there’s also a tradesman’s/servants entrance just to the right of the main front door that goes to the servant’s stairway and another off the kitchen. It’s kind of amazing the lengths and expense old grand houses like this go to keep the staff out of sight.

E: the too big kitchen probably wasn’t actually too big when it had a big table in the middle for the servants to eat/work at.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 13, 2019

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Baronjutter posted:

I often have a lot of anxiety and confusion regarding what I should be doing in various rooms, wall words help me know where I should EAT, where I should LAUGH and/or LOVE, and where I should CHERISH FRIENDSHIP & FAMILY.

I keep all of those signs in my bathroom

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I just wanted to illustrate this, here's the giant living space mass in a $4.7m modern house

Which, uh, also has... this... entertaining nook.

There's just... there's a lot going on with the patterns in this house.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FoldableHuman posted:

I just wanted to illustrate this, here's the giant living space mass in a $4.7m modern house

Which, uh, also has... this... entertaining nook.

There's just... there's a lot going on with the patterns in this house.

Yeah, I'll take the 100+yo mansion. This one is aggressively ugly. If you're rich enough to be buying a multi-million dollar house you still probably have a cook/maid so might as well stop the charade of having the kitchen you never use front and center in the house.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah, I'll take the 100+yo mansion. This one is aggressively ugly. If you're rich enough to be buying a multi-million dollar house you still probably have a cook/maid so might as well stop the charade of having the kitchen you never use front and center in the house.

Sheeit $4.5 million dollars in Calgary Alberta. There may not be a more out of place house on this planet. And the lot is like 80% house. good luck mr. oil executive

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Getting a very 2001 vibe from this room, except for the cows.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

4.7 million and they can't even put in an LC4

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

4.7 million and they can't even put in an LC4

Who cares?

Antivehicular