Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Elentor posted:

Here's a real question: Is "cadre" a common word to be used in English? I knew it before, but I hadn't ever read it so commonly used in specifically the translation of this manga, and I'm not sure if it's because it's really rarely used or the fact that I'm not a native speaker doesn't put me in situations where I'd otherwise be hearing/reading it.

I don't think I've ever said it before reading this post. I've read it in plenty of places but I never hear it in spoken English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Elentor posted:

Here's a real question: Is "cadre" a common word to be used in English? I knew it before, but I hadn't ever read it so commonly used in specifically the translation of this manga, and I'm not sure if it's because it's really rarely used or the fact that I'm not a native speaker doesn't put me in situations where I'd otherwise be hearing/reading it.

Let's just say...

...no.

You'd be far more likely to hear some form of "commander", but that clearly has military hierarchical connotations. At the same time, "cadre" is extremely rarely used, and generally specifically for descriptions of communist party structures, or occasional tinpot dictator-type organizations that would use the word to describe themselves were they to use english to do so. Which, I guess, one could classify the Monster Association as, but even informal terrorist organizations without that whole military hierarchy thing tend to have their higher-ups described as "commanders" rather than "cadre members" or whatnot.

I know that was convoluted as heck, but, well, the simple answer is that, no, "cadre" is not a common word to be used in english. To the point where I had heard it, and knew the general connotation, but had heard it used so infrequently that it was far from familiar; to the point where I had to try and do some research a few months back to figure out how it was commonly used in the real world to make sense of why it was being used so often in OPM and the significance of it therein.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 11, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think the official translation uses executive? I forget. But yeah, cadre is not a common word and it makes me pause whenever I read it, no idea why they chose that one. Had to look it up but the original Japanese apparently uses 幹部 which executive works just fine for. I guess maybe they were trying too hard to separate the monster association from normal organizations?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Elentor posted:

It’s about as rare as JoJo Golden Wind using “capo”

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Elentor posted:

Depends on how much time you spend talking about revolutionary organizations in granular detail. Most people don't, so it's not a common term.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, I'd say I hear or use the word "cadre" maybe only a couple times a year, tops

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the only times I've seen the word "cadre" used have been in OPM and this thread

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Darth TNT posted:

I shouldn't read Pig God chapters before going to sleep. :ohdear:

I'm not sure, but I think that Atomic Samurais solution to sparkling clear water would be to cut a little harder.

Cut it into Hydrogen and Oxygen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I assumed Cadre was Spanish or Portuguese or something like that and that's why it sounded unfamiliar.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Cadre is like one of the Four Heavenly Kings of words describing high-ranking agents of an organization.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

Depends on how much time you spend talking about revolutionary organizations in granular detail. Most people don't, so it's not a common term.

or you are familiar with/or play Vampire:TM

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Cadre is like one of the Four Heavenly Kings of words describing high-ranking agents of an organization.

What are the other 3?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RareAcumen posted:

I assumed Cadre was Spanish or Portuguese or something like that and that's why it sounded unfamiliar.

It’s French. And just like the other loan word, “genre”, englishmen have no clue how to pronounce it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

In any other context, I would just assume "cadre" is another word for "group" or "squad". Like, a cadre of firefighters or scouts or soldiers or whatever. It doesn't have any connotation of high rank.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

StarMinstrel posted:

It’s French. And just like the other loan word, “genre”, englishmen have no clue how to pronounce it.

This got me to find out that if you get Google to pronounce a word for you and click on it again, it will pronounce it slower for the second time. Neat.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

It's a word that exists in Portuguese and that is literally the only reason why I knew beforehand what it meant (I mean, I double checked to see if it was used the same way in English) but my post is because I've never ever seen it used before outside of Brazilian documentaries about the 1700s. This is definitely the first time I remember reading it in English. I dunno, maybe it's used in the Godfather and I don't remember or my brain skipped it, but as far as reading goes this would be the first time for me.

StarMinstrel posted:

Etymology seems to be Italian before it becoming a French word so coupled with Spanish and Portuguese, I think it's safe to say right now every Romance language has it even if it's French in origin.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 11, 2019

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Native Spanish speaker here, I'm pretty sure I've read or heard the word cadre used a few times as an adjective describing something being of a certain class (ie 'that man is of such and such cadre') but I can't think of a non-ONE context for running into the word in English off the top of my head.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Begemot posted:

In any other context, I would just assume "cadre" is another word for "group" or "squad". Like, a cadre of firefighters or scouts or soldiers or whatever. It doesn't have any connotation of high rank.

Yeah, having been tainted by this conversation all I can imagine a cadre as is referring to a team of villains. Like the Flash's Rogue's Gallery.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I like the Tank Top Cadre.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This definition is where I think my knowledge of the word comes from:

quote:

a group of activists in a communist or other revolutionary organization.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Like, I'll be honest, I think the only time I've heard "cadre" spoken in English in the last ten years or so was some film centered around high-ranking communist party members in the Soviet Union. I mean, aside from OPM.

Not really a term used for more everyday folks like firefighters or what have you, at least in my context (north america).

edit: Oh, and some other piece of fiction (can't remember precisely if it was a movie or a game) featuring corrupt South-East Asian high-ranking governmental figures. They used it in the context of describing a few of the said corrupt high-ranking figures as 'part of the cadre'.

So, like, it's used, but not so commonly.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 12, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Fighting mouth to mouth like pig god and the monster is how hippos fight. Which while sounding silly is terrifying if you've ever seen the inside of a hippo's mouth.

Also people in this thread need to read the Malazan book series.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Atomic Samurai's Guide to Cutting:
  • Cut hard
  • Cut fast
  • Cut a lot
  • Don't stop cutting
  • Don't stop cutting

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
If you cut water into small enough pieces it becomes a gas. What could go wrong?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Evil Natural Gas

Hmm

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

GodFish posted:

Evil Natural Gas

Hmm

yeah maybe keep it water idk

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think the official translation uses executive? I forget. But yeah, cadre is not a common word and it makes me pause whenever I read it, no idea why they chose that one. Had to look it up but the original Japanese apparently uses 幹部 which executive works just fine for. I guess maybe they were trying too hard to separate the monster association from normal organizations?

Someone who wrote a Japanese to English dictionary in like 1903 defined it as cadre, later references keep carrying it over, and then translation teams who arent that skilled just look up the word, see cadre, and use it without thinking.

There was a Romance of the Three Kingdoms drama in 2010 or so and the people translating it used 'fatuous' a bunch in one scene and I think it has to be the same reason. Why not just say stupid, airheaded, silly, etc? Cuz the dictionary says fatuous!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

GodFish posted:

Evil Natural Gas

Hmm

You mean
Good Freedom Molecules.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

From what I see 幹部 is the word used for the main officiers in fictional evil organizations.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I heard the word cadre all the time in the army and mostly haven't heard it since

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Conot posted:

Atomic Samurai's Guide to Cutting:
  • Cut hard
  • Cut fast
  • Cut a lot
  • Don't stop cutting
  • Don't stop cutting

Man, Linkin Park lyrics got really on the nose towards the end...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Cadre gets used for the bad guys in Megaman X: Command Mission and that's the only other time in my life I've heard the word get used

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Cadre is a very common word when talking about military factions, splinter groups, and guerrillas. I'm most familiar with be being used to describe the guys who have the training to form a new cell and operate completely independently. I've also heard that kind of independent cell referred to as a cadre.

Or maybe I run in weird circles.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the first place I heard it was Colonel Kurtz's shadowy ramblings.

Minion of Freya fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 14, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cadre gets used for the bad guys in Megaman X: Command Mission and that's the only other time in my life I've heard the word get used

Same. The overall Ranks for the villains there were Commander for the Leader, cadre for the three members directly under him, and Captain or Officer for the other bosses.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
you guys cannot possibly still be talking about cadre cmon

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jerkface posted:

you guys cannot possibly still be talking about cadre cmon

I was reading one of the short stories that goes with The Expanse novels and they used "cadre" in it. I couldn't help but think of this thread.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Would this thread be considered a cadre of goons?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The Goon Association.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Guys, breaking news from Kotaku! Mangaka goes back and redies old illustrations

[spoiler] Good thing they don't put this out every time Murata does it.[/url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That is kinda Brian Ashcroft's deal, he blogs about Japanese culture things and his articles are often targets for "why not video games" crowd.