Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It would be pretty funny if Argentina defaulted on the biggest IMF loan in history like 9 months after they got the loan. Another successful diplomatic mission!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Went in on some cheap Argentine bank stocks. Their balance sheets are relatively healthy so assuming the country doesn't literally collapse they should recover a good bit of value.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
$DB down almost 10% today on no news. (Or do they have a bunch of exposure to Argentina?) They gonna become insolvent like Lehman?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Lote posted:

$DB down almost 10% today on no news. (Or do they have a bunch of exposure to Argentina?) They gonna become insolvent like Lehman?

FinTwit is buzzing about the derivatives market indicating liquidity is drying up amongst the Euro banks.

Pulled the trigger on some OTM SPY puts, it seems the only reason why we aren't down more is because of the whole There is No Alternative trade.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

high volatility basically = less liquidity, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Dat tlt

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I want to see it, the 2s/10s invert and we break 283 on the spy. Lost on a few trades today buying the dip but managed to keep the losses low.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I was totally unfaithful to my vow about not touching JD before earnings. I bought weekly calls, albeit a very small position. The lack of any major run up in advance of earnings made it a more attractive entry point in my opinion.

If they can get the Hong Kong airport open overnight, I expect a minor rally tomorrow anyway.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

I was totally unfaithful to my vow about not touching JD before earnings. I bought weekly calls, albeit a very small position. The lack of any major run up in advance of earnings made it a more attractive entry point in my opinion.

If they can get the Hong Kong airport open overnight, I expect a minor rally tomorrow anyway.

Lots of option buyers of calls on that right now so maybe something is up who knows. p/c looks good for a stock in that spot.

Also I think if CPI is lower than the expected 0.2% tomorrow, we see this bond rally go into super nova mode.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Ulio posted:

I want to see it, the 2s/10s invert and we break 283 on the spy. Lost on a few trades today buying the dip but managed to keep the losses low.

Isn't the better play shorting ahead of the potential inversion? Remember how the algos freaked out during that first inversion last year...

If somehow the SPY rallies to 295, I'll bail. The potential downside looks too crazy to pass up.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

10/2 bond just hit 59 bp

Really curious to see what happens when it goes under 1.6, when will the government step in. 1.5? 1.3?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I've been burned before by it collapsing at open, but if this holds then I might make a few bucks off of my JD calls.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Christ almighty what a start to the day. I got into a bunch of bad trades last night but this huge rip at the open completely undid all those mistakes... hilarious

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Surging on relaxing of some tariffs.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Turnaround Tuesday

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

HamsterPolice posted:

Turnaround Tuesday

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m not entirely sure how much I lost yesterday, but I think I’ve recovered all of it this morning.

The market is just a piñata for Trump and his trade goons.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Oh look, uso can go up, that’s a nice surprise

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
wtf OSTK.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/08/12/1900782/0/en/Overstock-com-CEO-Comments-on-Deep-State-Withholds-Further-Comment.html

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

:tinfoil: crazy poo poo!

Stock down about 15%.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Uh, if anyone investing in OSTK didn’t already know the CEO was nuts, that’s on them in the year 2019.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

wtf...

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

10/2 bond just hit 59 bp

Really curious to see what happens when it goes under 1.6, when will the government step in. 1.5? 1.3?

Banks are trapped in a vortex, particularly at the long end of the curve. It's going to take a mini-QE4 (though called something else to avoid spooking people) before the end of the year and even that may not be enough to escape the event horizon. On a short term basis equities will resist mightily thanks to interference from WH (e.g. today, waited for a low gamma day to ram shorts with the fake trade news) but I would suggest that people pay more attention to the story being told by ZB than ES

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I got some Jan2021 $140 GLD calls. Not cheap, but I have fairly high hopes for gold continuing to climb over the next year.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Tariff man is out of control. My JD position that set me on fire last week is now in the green. With all this volatility I'm thinking it might be time to work up the courage to get into options.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

Tariff man is out of control. My JD position that set me on fire last week is now in the green. With all this volatility I'm thinking it might be time to work up the courage to get into options.

Slowly chanting: week-lies, week-lies

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
SPY closing right at the April high. It doesn't get more dramatic than this!

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

LLCoolJD posted:

:tinfoil: crazy poo poo!

Stock down about 15%.

It’s just wild that all of life’s craziness is just converging. I cannot read about any single topic these days without it ending with like someone being a white nationalist or Q Anon weirdo or a pedophile or a Russian assassin or some poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It's loving awful all around.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

I got some Jan2021 $140 GLD calls. Not cheap, but I have fairly high hopes for gold continuing to climb over the next year.

I am actually up a lot on 170 calls I bought in June but those are super OTM, I still held on to those when GLD was around 145.. I also bought 140 Jans call today on the massive dip. SLV also looking interesting here but that it has no volatility in options so I rather own the etf but I will wait a bit more on that since Silver has been such an underperformer.

Gonna keep an eye out on the Hong Kong riots + China military situation and if China strengthen the yuan after Trumps pullback on tarriffs.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The 2/10 bond yields inverted last night, you’ll likely see huge downswing at 9:30 across all sectors of this doesn’t somehow recover.

Guess who’s in a short position :clint:

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
WeWork files for IPO... Great timing guys! Welcome!

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
With pumpkin spice season starting up it got me thinking about the Becky ETF. Was there here or reddit people were talking about it? I wonder how it performed.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

R.I.P., OSTK. Who's the second-in-command over there, John McAfee?

So far, I'm feeling pretty good about this:

LLCoolJD posted:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I’ve qualified for platinum on spend on AA and I have 33k miles and 36 segments. I saw a basic economy ticket for $800 two days ago.

I’m most likely going to ask my exec plat friend for two SWUs and do a good ol mileage run to Singapore in TYOOL 2019 because being gold for another year is the pits. I missed platinum last year by 2 segments and 3k miles. Uggggghhhhh.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ah I am getting excited for more volatility but this whole market has been a huge bear trap so shorting equities will be hard. Good for GLD, TLT and the yen.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Ulio posted:

Ah I am getting excited for more volatility but this whole market has been a huge bear trap so shorting equities will be hard. Good for GLD, TLT and the yen.

Trying to decide when to double down

Lote posted:

I’ve qualified for platinum on spend on AA and I have 33k miles and 36 segments. I saw a basic economy ticket for $800 two days ago.

I’m most likely going to ask my exec plat friend for two SWUs and do a good ol mileage run to Singapore in TYOOL 2019 because being gold for another year is the pits. I missed platinum last year by 2 segments and 3k miles. Uggggghhhhh.

Airline miles a safe haven trade?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

fougera posted:

Trying to decide when to double down

Airline miles a safe haven trade?

Posted in the wrong thread. Airline miles inflate faster than Argentinian currency. The major us airlines give you the crappiest routings for their lowest tier awards.

Also, that mileage run I’m talking about is cheap because the economy is crashing. $<500 flights to Asia. $400 flights to Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Closed my short position on the micro ES futures for 50.25 points of gain, which was a legit $1000 winner which doubled my account. This short I did last night is might be saving my life because maybe now I can afford to go to a doctor.