Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's brief mention of a sietch that lost a lot of water on a get-rich-quick scheme involving breeding dogs, but the dogs all died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

irulan inspecting arakeen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ipdc4a-DM8&t=134s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sardukar dressed as harkonen troops massacre the atreides army nws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGO6t4tQs6s

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 13, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the baron visits his pleasure brothels nws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy3yz0W4xIw

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 13, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

paul changes the water, becomes prescient nws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_XVyMZlF8

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 13, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

stilgar tours the sietch, prepares for spice orgy nws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASvJF21yXU&t=12s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jessica prepares the weirding modules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIdniqkleG4&t=7s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

paul envisions the terrible purpose, jihad, and golden path

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv268m85ZHM

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Played all at once and saw into the place that is forbidden kull wahad

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Jodo's Dune would have been Paul high on spice half of the time, and naked fremen the other half.

And dog people

And Salvador Dali making GBS threads into a dolphin.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's brief mention of a sietch that lost a lot of water on a get-rich-quick scheme involving breeding dogs, but the dogs all died.
Doesn't the book outright state that everyone knows it was the priesthood who poisoned the dogs?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol Jodorowsky’s Dune would have been so impenetrably bad

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
saw thor ragnarok yesterday and was super happy to see that for the junk planet, they had cribbed the colourful ship designs from chris foss' amazing concept art for jodune

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just wanted to see the Chris Foss ships.

Let's see what Jodos has to say about them:

quote:

Dune had to be made. But what kind of spaceships to use? Certainly not the degenerate and cold offspring of present day American automobiles and submarines, the very antithesis of art, usually seen in science fiction films, including 2001. No! I wanted magical entities, vibrating vehicles, like fish that swim and have their being in the mythological deeps of the surrounding ocean. The 'galactic' ships of North American technocracy are a mouse-gray insult to the divine, therefore delirious, chaos of the universe. I wanted jewels, machine-animals, soul-mechanisms. Sublime as snow crystals, myriad-faceted fly eyes, butterfly pinions. Not giant refrigerators, transistorised and riveted hulks; bloated with imperialism, pillage, arrogance and eunuchoid science.

I affirm that next to the soul the most beautiful object in the galaxy is a spaceship! We all dreamed of womb-ships, antechambers for rebirth into other dimensions; we dreamed of whore-ships driven by the semen of our passionate ejaculations.

:yikes:

OK maybe no Chris Foss ships

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Pfft. As the saying goes; you should judge a ship by its appearance, not its semen fuelled innards

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Hahaha he’s so great.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

"womb-ships, antechambers for rebirth into other dimensions; we dreamed of whore-ships driven by the semen of our passionate ejaculations."

Let Jodo write Dune expanded universe.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

"womb-ships, antechambers for rebirth into other dimensions; we dreamed of whore-ships driven by the semen of our passionate ejaculations."

The beef must swell

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Great, now every other post in the thread will be crying wormsign.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Anne Frank Funk posted:

i mean he used half his dune ideas for the incal and its spinoffs, he practically did already

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

i mean he used half his dune ideas for the incal and its spinoffs, he practically did already

Did he? To be honest all of Jodorowsky's work seems to be about his own initiation journey and obsession with the tarot and alchemy and mysticism.

I may have to re-read the Incal but it felt more like yet another hero's journey tale than something directly inspired by his vision of Dune. Personally I believe the Incal is very much the result of his synergy with Giraud aka Moebius.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Did he? To be honest all of Jodorowsky's work seems to be about his own initiation journey and obsession with the tarot and alchemy and mysticism.

I may have to re-read the Incal but it felt more like yet another hero's journey tale than something directly inspired by his vision of Dune. Personally I believe the Incal is very much the result of his synergy with Giraud aka Moebius.

Moebius worked on his Dune as well

it shows up way more in The Meta Barons but a bunch of specific scenes from his Dune got repurposed for his comics, showing up in different contexts.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
That's interesting. Never noticed it. I like Jodo's work in comic books and read most of them, but I never spotted those Dune inspirations. I know Moebius did his storyboard and costumes so yeah there's a chance that collaboration transpires in later works.

Jodo's stories are heavily into occult territories (like Alan Moore's) while Herbert's Dune seems to be more like "normal" sci-fi with a hint of hallucinatory drugs sprinkled on top. It's possible the Incal and the Metabarons have scenes inspired from the Dune storyboard but I remember them more as occult-inspired initiation tales.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That's interesting. Never noticed it. I like Jodo's work in comic books and read most of them, but I never spotted those Dune inspirations. I know Moebius did his storyboard and costumes so yeah there's a chance that collaboration transpires in later works.

Jodo's stories are heavily into occult territories (like Alan Moore's) while Herbert's Dune seems to be more like "normal" sci-fi with a hint of hallucinatory drugs sprinkled on top. It's possible the Incal and the Metabarons have scenes inspired from the Dune storyboard but I remember them more as occult-inspired initiation tales.

In Jodorowky's Dune Duke Leto had been castrated by a bull and Jessica get pregnant by turning a drop of his blood into a sperm cell. That exact same thing happens to one of the Metabarons in The Metabarons. A bunch of little things like that used in for the more psychedelic tale

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Improbable Lobster posted:

In Jodorowky's Dune Duke Leto had been castrated by a bull and Jessica get pregnant by turning a drop of his blood into a sperm cell. That exact same thing happens to one of the Metabarons in The Metabarons. A bunch of little things like that used in for the more psychedelic tale

That seems more like a book 7 thing rather than a book 1 thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Paul's father is actually the bull

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The only thing I don't like about that guy's ships are the stripes and weird patterns. I don't mind colorful stuff but those patterns are godawful.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Jodorowski's Dune would have been a serious disappointment to nearly all but a tiny percentage of people

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

yeah it would have ruled :sigh:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Enkmar posted:

Jodorowski's Dune would have been a serious disappointment to nearly all but a tiny percentage of people

True, but it would have been hellaciously insightful coked to the gills on LSD.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
It would have been the kind of movie that would be panned and flop, only to be considered an artistic masterpiece ahead of its time 20 years later. An entire generation of directors would credit it for their inspiration to make movies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

It would have been the kind of movie that would be panned and flop, only to be considered an artistic masterpiece ahead of its time 20 years later. An entire generation of directors would credit it for their inspiration to make movies.

this already happened so i guess there was no need to actually make it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

according to h.r. giger, he was avoiding working on movies before jodo convincing him to try it, and if that had not happened alien would not have existed

everyone watch Jodorowsky's Dune

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

quote:

Dune had to be made. But what kind of spaceships to use? Certainly not the degenerate and cold offspring of present day American automobiles and submarines, the very antithesis of art, usually seen in science fiction films, including 2001. No! I wanted magical entities, vibrating vehicles, like fish that swim and have their being in the mythological deeps of the surrounding ocean. The 'galactic' ships of North American technocracy are a mouse-gray insult to the divine, therefore delirious, chaos of the universe. I wanted jewels, machine-animals, soul-mechanisms. Sublime as snow crystals, myriad-faceted fly eyes, butterfly pinions. Not giant refrigerators, transistorised and riveted hulks; bloated with imperialism, pillage, arrogance and eunuchoid science.

I affirm that next to the soul the most beautiful object in the galaxy is a spaceship! We all dreamed of womb-ships, antechambers for rebirth into other dimensions; we dreamed of whore-ships driven by the semen of our passionate ejaculations.

I mean, as far as weird lingo Herbert precognitions go...seems pretty accurate :shrug:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

*somebody furiously scribbles "lexx:the dark zone is funded" on a piece of paper*

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

let us have beautiful beef-ships swelling across space

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

let us have beautiful beef-ships swelling across space

kull wahad!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AST2-4db4ic

Which one of you wants to be a concubine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

I knew exactly where it was going and still lost it. Awesome.