Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Safety Biscuits posted:

Of the Chrestomanci books: Lives of Christopher Chant, Charmed Life, and Witch Week - Lives last, I think. It's more serious than the other two, and makes a good comparison to Charmed Life.

Dalemark: Cart and Cwidder is weak, but The Spellcoats and Drowned Ammet are good. I didn't get into The Crown of Dalemark.

Solos: The Ogre Downstairs (read the Greek), The Time of the Ghost, Fire and Hemlock, Hexwood, Dogsbody, Archer's Goon.

And the recommendations you already got are good, too. She wrote a lot of great stuff. Also be sure to read this autobiographical essay: https://web.archive.org/web/20120522071720/http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/autobiog.htm

Also since nobody else mentioned them, A Tale of Time City and Eight Days of Luke. Like, well, you can't go really wrong with Jones has been my experience. Some of her books are definitely better than others but I can't recall any that I really just didn't like, though at the time I was reading her most there were some that were out of print and hard to come by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Most of her later stuff was pretty weak, honestly. But she has a huge number of massive hits.

(It's worth hunting down her adult fantasy novel, A Sudden Wild Magic, to read a very standard DWJ book only the people in it have sex.)

Meanwhile, apparently Lud-in-the-mist finally has an audiobook, but it's unavailable in the USA, which is ridiculous given that as far as I can see it's public domain.

Megafonzie
Oct 26, 2012

????????????
Still reading The Reality Dysfunction. I'm about 500 pages in now and stuff has actually happened which is nice. I like the meme of Quinn getting tricked by ultra-satan into thinking he's just normal satan

Also thanks to this thread the next thing I will read once I finish one of the things I'm reading now is going to be either Revelation Space or Ash: A Secret History. They both sound very good.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

occamsnailfile posted:

Also since nobody else mentioned them, A Tale of Time City and Eight Days of Luke. Like, well, you can't go really wrong with Jones has been my experience. Some of her books are definitely better than others but I can't recall any that I really just didn't like, though at the time I was reading her most there were some that were out of print and hard to come by.

I don't remember A Tale of Time City well; Eight Days of Luke was OK but slight, more for children than some of her other books.

Rand Brittain posted:

Most of her later stuff was pretty weak, honestly.

I don't think I've recommended anything she wrote after about 2000. The Howl sequels were especially disappointing.

I finally read Throne of the Crescent Moon and god how was it nominated for a Hugo. It's a mess.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Safety Biscuits posted:

I don't think I've recommended anything she wrote after about 2000. The Howl sequels were especially disappointing.

I finally read Throne of the Crescent Moon and god how was it nominated for a Hugo. It's a mess.
Were they? I honestly consider Castle in the Air one of my favorite Wynne-Joneses.

Regarding the Hugo question - have you seen the ballots for last couple of years?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yeah, I didn't like that either.

Howard Jones's Desert of Souls books are a pretty good take on a similar theme though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1160566576791347200

edit: hahah steven brust retweeted me

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 11, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Safety Biscuits posted:

It got a lot of buzz on release because, as far as I could tell, it's an Arab fantasy written by a Muslim Arab. It's kind of why I gave it a go as well. I thought it was an obvious first novel from someone who already wrote decent short fiction, but didn't quite succeed at his first attempt at longform.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Yeah, that's always looked like it would be amazing but also much more of a pain in the rear end than I am willing to put up with for coffee.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ulmont posted:

Yeah, that's always looked like it would be amazing but also much more of a pain in the rear end than I am willing to put up with for coffee.

In the books, Vlad is VERY serious about food and coffee klava.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

It's not so bad once you've gathered all the components, but yeah, it's not weekday morning practical. Takes about six eggs' worth of shells.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding the Hugo question - have you seen the ballots for last couple of years?

What were some titles that you think should have gotten a nomination but didn't?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
wrong thread

Megafonzie
Oct 26, 2012

????????????
Moment that made me laugh in The Reality Dysfunction:

quote:

Louise’s young sister tagged along with them for the entire afternoon, giggling the whole time. Joshua wasn’t used to children that age, in his opinion she was a spoilt brat who needed a drat good smack. If it wasn’t for Louise he would have been mighty tempted to put her over his knee. Instead he suffered in silence, making the most of the way Louise’s dress fabric shifted about as she moved.

Louise is 16. We are ostensibly supposed to like Joshua (who is 21 here), but what a perfect confluence of bad things all in one paragraph.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

joshua calvert is really, really bad yeah

hamilton mentioned once that he also thought jashua was bad

but that's like...

you didn't have to write the books that way if you didn't want, pete

nobody made you invent a world where this man's behavior is rewarded

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Were they? I honestly consider Castle in the Air one of my favorite Wynne-Joneses.

Each to her own, but I found them a disappointment after the brilliance of the original.

quote:

Ah, this reminds me of the time I worked out how experienced* Best Novel nominees were. Turns out the average nominee was about five books into their career, which I found surprisingly small - there were quite a few debuts, too.

*in terms of how many books they'd previously published

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished The Luminous Dead on this thread's recommendation and really enjoyed it. Got that paranoid, claustrophobic feeling down pretty well.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Disclosure: This may have been asked, but I'm too lazy to search the thread.

Has anyone read Empire of Silence? I got a spamz from Penguin this morning that a second book in the series was coming out and I had somehow missed this one.

The description sounds really promising...

Edit: link

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Has anyone read Empire of Silence? I got a spamz from Penguin this morning that a second book in the series was coming out and I had somehow missed this one.

It came up a while ago here and iirc the judgment was it's bad with a plot ripped off wholesale from Dune and writing plagiarized from Name of the Wind

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

joshua calvert is really, really bad yeah

hamilton mentioned once that he also thought jashua was bad

but that's like...

you didn't have to write the books that way if you didn't want, pete

nobody made you invent a world where this man's behavior is rewarded

If you want the really bad age difference, Broken Dragon, North Road and the Commonwealth series all feature young females and old men.

Special mention goes to Misspent Youth where a father become young again and fucks all the female friends of his son.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

XBenedict posted:

I'll link my review once again, but yes, it's staggeringly derivative.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The_White_Crane posted:

Jesus Christ. This motherfucker is the Vanilla Ice of SFF.

Thanks for the relink, goon.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I was in the mood for sci-fi Roman Empire when I picked it up and it became Gladiator + Dune as told in Rothfuss-voice. For what it's worth, I still kind of liked it.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Campbell posted:

I was in the mood for sci-fi Roman Empire when I picked it up and it became Gladiator + Dune as told in Rothfuss-voice. For what it's worth, I still kind of liked it.

I enjoyed it enough to pick up the sequel, which I thought was less derivative. Not everything I read needs to be great.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Oh dang, I thought the sequel wasn't due for another year. One man's genre trash is another man's genre treasure!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The_White_Crane posted:

Well you know what they say, if you're going to steal then steal from the best and then also Herbert and Rothfuss. Was a little confused at first as thought this had got good reviews, then realised I was mixing it up with
A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan) which is on my wish list.

Also if you ever are going to get rid of a bunch of books then let me know as I go through Leamington every day and crave cheap second hand sci-fi books.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I thought Empire of Silence and sequel were great. Yeah there are a lot of obvious homages in it but where aren't there in sci-fi/fantasy.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I never read Vorkosigan Saga and am finally getting around to reading it. It's next on my list after someone suggested it to me in this thread.

Publication order, series order or author's recommended reading order (https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/293438-the-vorkosigan-saga-reading-order-debate-the-chef-recommends?chapter=2) ?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

I never read Vorkosigan Saga and am finally getting around to reading it. It's next on my list after someone suggested it to me in this thread.

Publication order, series order or author's recommended reading order (https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/293438-the-vorkosigan-saga-reading-order-debate-the-chef-recommends?chapter=2) ?

Bujold's reading order is basically what I'd suggest.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Xtanstic posted:

It's very good and I'd highly recommend it. When I first read them I thought the initial few novels in the series were a little rough compared to the world of the five gods books by Bujold I'd read just beforehand, but that's understandable as the first Vorksagian books were much earlier novels in Bujold's career and still stood up well, although I'd say it really picks up when Miles takes over as the protagonist.

I'd go with the author's recommended reading order myself, which is almost the same as the series order anyway.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I feel like Empire of Silence starts off super derivative but eventually finds its own beats. It isn't amazing, but it's solid cosmic fantasy. The framing is the worst part and it's still way better than Name of the Wind.

I just finished Raven Tower and it was amazing! I thought the Ancillary series was great so I expected to like it but it surpassed my expectations. I'm betting the second person narrative will bug some people but I enjoyed it (I also really liked the Broken Earth trilogy). I have some spoiler questions/musing from finishing it

So when the bird was killed by Claudius that was the final death of Raven? Everything that followed was actually Strength and Patience? I know S&P had been providing the practical protection of the area, but Raven was still a weakened but still active player till that point.

Did I miss where it explicitly spelled out the spinning? I was thinking it was either S&P channeling the kinetic energy of spinning into whatever miracles it was doing or that circumambulation is a common form of worship and so that acted as low level worship. There were very few concrete details about the Ancient Ones but it did mention they ran around and traveled frequently so perhaps movement could've been tied into whatever pre-worship method they used to generate power.

I recall there was an offhand line near the end about how the far North gods liked to use trans people as high priests, was that indicated previously when exploring S&P's past and I just missed it or was that the first mention?

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Did I miss where it explicitly spelled out the spinning? I was thinking it was either S&P channeling the kinetic energy of spinning into whatever miracles it was doing or that circumambulation is a common form of worship and so that acted as low level worship. There were very few concrete details about the Ancient Ones but it did mention they ran around and traveled frequently so perhaps movement could've been tied into whatever pre-worship method they used to generate power.

It's been a while, but the impression I got is that there was no particular meaning to the choice of motion. It was just the terms of its bargain with the coalition: the stone, having spent an entire book warning us about the danger of open-ended promises, wanted something that required conscious effort to activate. It made a bad choice.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

dreamless posted:

It's been a while, but the impression I got is that there was no particular meaning to the choice of motion. It was just the terms of its bargain with the coalition: the stone, having spent an entire book warning us about the danger of open-ended promises, wanted something that required conscious effort to activate. It made a bad choice.

Before it made the agreement and it was just providing food it was spinning so it seemed like it was part of the process. It definitely got out lawyered on the agreement

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

XBenedict posted:

most here hated it because of the dune rip off.

i enjoyed it because it reminded me of dune

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
bought ASH years ago but only got around to reading it today after seeing it come up here regularly - what are Mary Gentle's other books like?

Black Opera or Golden Witchbreed would be the ones that appeal most i think

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Before it made the agreement and it was just providing food it was spinning so it seemed like it was part of the process. It definitely got out lawyered on the agreement

gently caress, I totally missed/forgot that part. That does make it a little more ambiguous, though maaaaybe it's already suspicious and trying to sell that spinning's an important part of the process? When it was just answering individual petitioners it was pretty contentedly stationary.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grunts.

Both the comedy answer and a serious one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

branedotorg posted:

bought ASH years ago but only got around to reading it today after seeing it come up here regularly - what are Mary Gentle's other books like?

Black Opera or Golden Witchbreed would be the ones that appeal most i think

Her other stuff (that I've read) is just as detailed and brutal and interesting....

...and then there's Grunts, which is black comedy at its bleakest. She wrote it while recovering from a car crash for fun and it shows.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

I just finished Raven Tower and it was amazing! I thought the Ancillary series was great so I expected to like it but it surpassed my expectations. I'm betting the second person narrative will bug some people but I enjoyed it (I also really liked the Broken Earth trilogy). I have some spoiler questions/musing from finishing it

So when the bird was killed by Claudius that was the final death of Raven? Everything that followed was actually Strength and Patience? I know S&P had been providing the practical protection of the area, but Raven was still a weakened but still active player till that point.

I recall there was an offhand line near the end about how the far North gods liked to use trans people as high priests, was that indicated previously when exploring S&P's past and I just missed it or was that the first mention?

she also has a few stories set in the same world and they're good as well, check them out:
Beloved of the Sun
Marsh Gods
The God of Au
The Nalendar
The Snake's Wife
The Unknown God
I believe they're all available online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
In Raven Tower it was explicitly stated at one point that Strength and Patience was confident it could stop anyone from spinning it if it didn't want to be spun. The problem was that it was unconscious in the aftermath of the Raven's victory, so it wasn't able to prevent getting set up to automatically spin. Once it woke up it was too late and it was caught in the terms of its promise.