Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Elyv posted:

I assume they mean Vendilion Clique as one of his three but I don't know what the other would be

I hate clique because I always forget it exists and think my hand is safe against uw and uwr control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

did you read targeted discard as targeted removal or am I just forgetting how magic works?
Top 5 single target removal is actually a really interesting debate since removal is somewhat format dependent. I think you go plow, lightning bolt and then I'm kinda not sure where it breaks down from there. Which isn't to say there aren't clearly good spells after I'm just kinda unsure how you'd rank them.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Top 5 single target removal is actually a really interesting debate since removal is somewhat format dependent. I think you go plow, lightning bolt and then I'm kinda not sure where it breaks down from there. Which isn't to say there aren't clearly good spells after I'm just kinda unsure how you'd rank them.

Fatal Push
Path to Exile
I dunno, Abrupt Decay or something

E: Actually, probably Dismember

Elyv fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 13, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Elyv posted:

Fatal Push
Path to Exile
I dunno, Abrupt Decay or something

E: Actually, probably Dismember

Threeferi

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Elyv posted:

I assume they mean Vendilion Clique as one of their two but I don't know what the other would be

Thought Knot Seer

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

MURDER AND METEOR GOLEM

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tibalt posted:

MURDER AND METEOR GOLEM

What are bad MTG names for your dog?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tibalt posted:

MURDER AND METEOR GOLEM

Please don't advertise your progressive rock band here thanks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ItBreathes posted:

Territorial Gorger.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ItBreathes posted:

Maro

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ItBreathes posted:

Greater Mossdog.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Spiderdrake posted:

The top 5 pieces of countermagic for seeing play are all blue. And pretty much always are in every format. That's protected idea space.

Targeted discard? 3/5 are black. Not really the same.

I'm extremely confused what this post is because the only targeted discard is black.

e; like literally the only nonblack targeted discard spells is Venarian Glimmer from Planar Chaos, and I think there's a red punisher spell that makes target player discard blue cards unless they pay life?

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 14, 2019

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm extremely confused what this post is because the only targeted discard is black.

e; like literally the only nonblack targeted discard spells is Venarian Glimmer from Planar Chaos, and I think there's a red punisher spell that makes target player discard blue cards unless they pay life?

Apparently it was TKS and Clique they were referring to

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Venarian Glimmer

Blue gets to do everything :cry:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
clique and TKS are nowhere near close to the best discard spells though.

they're amazing for their colors because normally blue doesn't get access to hand disruption (who knows what's colorless's slice of the pie) but TS, inquisition, cabal therapy, hymn all blow them away.

oh, also duress.

Yeah 5 best discard is 100% TS, cabal therapy, inquisition, hymn, and duress. 6th is liliana

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Skullscorch is RR: Hymn or 4 damage

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silhouette posted:

Skullscorch is RR: Hymn or 4 damage

lovely cards is definitively red

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
A bad punisher counterspell for RR sounds really on brand actually. Both spells and bad punisher effects are perfect for red, so it just makes sense.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

suicidesteve posted:

If there's one thing black needs to do, it's the one thing black can't do yet: counter spells.

Ignoring the 3 or so cards that already do it.

Casting Dash Hopes on someone in Modern and they double-take when they read the card never gets old though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

nrook posted:

A bad punisher counterspell for RR sounds really on brand actually. Both spells and bad punisher effects are perfect for red, so it just makes sense.

Not quite RR punisher Counterspell but there's Molten Influence and Mages' Contest

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A big flaming stink posted:

clique and TKS are nowhere near close to the best discard spells though.

they're amazing for their colors because normally blue doesn't get access to hand disruption (who knows what's colorless's slice of the pie) but TS, inquisition, cabal therapy, hymn all blow them away.

oh, also duress.

Yeah 5 best discard is 100% TS, cabal therapy, inquisition, hymn, and duress. 6th is liliana

Faithless Looting is the best discard spell

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

nrook posted:

Dash Hopes already stole the spot for bad CC punisher counterspell

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Archenteron posted:

Casting Dash Hopes on someone in Modern and they double-take when they read the card never gets old though.

Withering Boon goes in every black commander deck that doesn't also play blue. And sometimes even the ones that do. 1B Remove Soul catches so many people by surprise.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Dash Hopes already stole the spot for bad CC punisher counterspell

Oh poo poo, you’re right.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Archenteron posted:

putting Dash Hopes on an Isochron Scepter with 2 mana open is my all-time favorite way to get a disdainful sigh out of an opponent.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Aniodia posted:

Assuming you're not being facetious w.r.t. the whole Judge Academy shitshow, the difference is due to the way they're worded. REB/BEB need to target the appropriate colored spell upon declaration of the counter mode (because they say "Counter target blue/red spell"), whereas Pyroblast/Hydroblast can target any spell, but don't do anything unless it's the right color upon resolution ("Counter target spell if it's blue/red").

Was not being facetious, I know it’s always a case of “the card does exactly what it says” but I was having trouble coming up with a scenario where that working would potentially matter. But that is it.

And my opponent is still cheating

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Was not being facetious, I know it’s always a case of “the card does exactly what it says” but I was having trouble coming up with a scenario where that working would potentially matter. But that is it.

And my opponent is still cheating

Pyro/Hydro can +1 your storm count if you board them in and end up not needing them. Or kill a Phantasmal Image of any color.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Or get Misdirected even if the thing you're killing is the only legal target :v:

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

mossyfisk posted:

How many games of Modern do you think you could win with a deck designed to exile the opponent's wincons as quickly as possible?

I'm imagining some combo of Chancellor Of The Spires and Extirpate effects: Archive Trap, Surgical Extraction etc
I could swear SaffronOlive already made this deck but I can’t find it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

LifeLynx posted:

Pyro/Hydro can +1 your storm count if you board them in and end up not needing them. Or kill a Phantasmal Image of any color.

Or combine with a Dack Fayden emblem to steal any permanent (except ones that they'll kill instead, I guess).

Grifter posted:

I could swear SaffronOlive already made this deck but I can’t find it.

Either he or someone else did, yeah. It had Kaya to kill the opponent after you'd exiled a ton of their stuff.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I incorporated 2 Incubation Druids into my Temur Elemental Aggro deck and holy loving poo poo 2 risen reefs, 1 omnath, 3 stormkin elementals and 2 incubation druids gets out of loving control fast. My opponent had 40 life at one point and I had 10. I managed to get him down to 6 before he killed me.

EDIT: Just played a weird game and I'm super confused. I was playing against Blue / Green deck. My opponent basically milled himself (he had 0 cards left) and then I just lost. I have no idea what the gently caress happened but his turn lasted like 3 minutes.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 14, 2019

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SalTheBard posted:

I incorporated 2 Incubation Druids into my Temur Elemental Aggro deck and holy loving poo poo 2 risen reefs, 1 omnath, 3 stormkin elementals and 2 incubation druids gets out of loving control fast. My opponent had 40 life at one point and I had 10. I managed to get him down to 6 before he killed me.

EDIT: Just played a weird game and I'm super confused. I was playing against Blue / Green deck. My opponent basically milled himself (he had 0 cards left) and then I just lost. I have no idea what the gently caress happened but his turn lasted like 3 minutes.

Jace self-mill?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't think they played a Jace but it is possible.

EDIT:

I have to thank you for mentioning Jace to me. I was playing singleton and got Duress. The person I was playing was playing Jace self mill, I used Duress to get Jace out of their hand and then they quit the game!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 14, 2019

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Either he or someone else did, yeah. It had Kaya to kill the opponent after you'd exiled a ton of their stuff.

Think this is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_jn3O6NL9k

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SalTheBard posted:

I don't think they played a Jace but it is possible.

EDIT:

I have to thank you for mentioning Jace to me. I was playing singleton and got Duress. The person I was playing was playing Jace self mill, I used Duress to get Jace out of their hand and then they quit the game!

Lmao

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
New article on changes to competitive magic and the MPL https://www.magic.gg/news/the-future-of-magic-esports
Seems like good changes overall.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

1. "Players Tour", really?
2. Still seems to be about spiking a single event, mostly.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It’s cool that scg events got incorporated

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

neaden posted:

New article on changes to competitive magic and the MPL https://www.magic.gg/news/the-future-of-magic-esports
Seems like good changes overall.

new url?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
This system seems really loving complicated but at least there are clear ways to qualify for things.