Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

StarMinstrel posted:

Just finished this season the other day with my s.o.

we had tons of fun watching it.

here's the ranking we both agreed on:

--- TIER 1 ---
Season 3
Season 2
Season 4
--- Tier 2 ---
Season 5
--- Tier 3 ---
Season 1
--- Trash Tier ---
Other animes except LoGH and Yamato 2199

I can't wait for season 6 to smash this ranking to pieces, I have great expectations of who I've gathered the next Jojo is and that is, a girl

But Phantom Blood has some of the best interplay between main hero and villain in the series.

The fights are kinda dull, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

StarMinstrel posted:

Just finished this season the other day with my s.o.

we had tons of fun watching it.

here's the ranking we both agreed on:

--- TIER 1 ---
Season 3
Season 2
Season 4
--- Tier 2 ---
Season 5
--- Tier 3 ---
Season 1
--- Trash Tier ---
Other animes except LoGH and Yamato 2199

I can't wait for season 6 to smash this ranking to pieces, I have great expectations of who I've gathered the next Jojo is and that is, a girl
the anime subforum may not be the best place to do an epic own on all anime

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think that tier list is close to how I'd rank the Parts, save for Part 1, which I'm not quite sure where to place.

Part 1 is tame by comparison to the others, but I think there's a bit of charm in that. I think the tonal contrast between Part 1 and 2 is what made me love 2 so much more.

Plus Part 1 (along with 2) does the thing where the outro starts playing before the episode ends, and that poo poo is just so powerful.

e: Could you imagine Part 5 trying to do that?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 13, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elephant Parade posted:

the anime subforum may not be the best place to do an epic own on all anime

anime is blood

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

anime is blood

phantom blood, specifically

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
watch symphogear

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
jo
jo

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

gol
den
weeeend

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Oxyclean posted:

I think that tier list is close to how I'd rank the Parts, save for Part 1, which I'm not quite sure where to place.

Part 1 is tame by comparison to the others, but I think there's a bit of charm in that. I think the tonal contrast between Part 1 and 2 is what made me love 2 so much more.

Plus Part 1 (along with 2) does the thing where the outro starts playing before the episode ends, and that poo poo is just so powerful.

e: Could you imagine Part 5 trying to do that?

I think “charming” is the right word for phantom blood.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

If you weren't charmed by part1 I'm not sure how anyone would make it to part2

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Part 1 is charming, weird and cool, but it is also very janky and the other parts are more charming, weird, and cool.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 1 is a fascinating historical relic and Jonathan clutching Dio's head as he dies has more interesting thematic nuance than Part 2 has in it's entire run. Part 1's blend of Gothic/Victorian fiction and martial arts technique based fighting with it's questions of heroism and brotherhood only become more interesting over time as JoJo and Shonen manga get older and different, where I've found Part 2 to be more hollow every time I revisit it

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 13, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

watch symphogear

what’s a symphogear

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Augus posted:

what’s a symphogear

A fun show.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, while Jonathan is somewhat static beyond going from being a gentleman just because (look at him first meeting with Erina in Episode 1) to actually growing into the role, I do love how his character arc starts as "Let's be friends" and culminates in "Okay, gently caress Dio."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would disagree and that Jonathan never really says that. He's ready to fight Dio because he's a threat to other people, (it's telling that what finally gets Jonathan to stop putting up with Dio's poo poo as a kid is when he finally hurts another person in his schemes to ruin Jonathan's life) but once he has him helpless (or so he thinks), Jonathan's final defining act is to embrace his brother again. Jonathan's inhuman kindness leads to him forgiving Dio. Dio becoming and taking Jonathan's body is a sign of deep, but twisted respect, love and fetishization for Jonathan in return. Jonathan's love and sacrifice was strong enough to have an effect on a monster, even if it's not really the effect he wanted.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

is dio really a monster tho?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
technically yes as he thoroughly discards his humanity, and shouts that he's doing it while he's doing it, but maybe pretend i put some " " around it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I would disagree and that Jonathan never really says that.

I think at one point he does say he wants to kill Dio to satisfy his anger or hate, but I admit that last quote was a bit of exaggeration for effect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zyla posted:

is dio really a monster tho?

he sucks people’s blood through his fingers

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Augus posted:

he sucks people’s blood through his fingers

He has eye lasers and can turn people into zombies.

Unless you mean "Is Dio, morally speaking, a monster?", in which case also yes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

dr.acula posted:

If you weren't charmed by part1 I'm not sure how anyone would make it to part2

Obligation to a friend.

You can say a lot of things about part 1, but at the end of the day I still found it a really big slog and don't think I'll ever watch it again. It works as a comparison piece to show how far the legacy has gone, but it was a hard 9 episodes to get through.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Maybe she's asking if Dio's an energy drink

The text is silent on this matter

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay if Gold Experience punched a wall and turned half of it into lizards, and then Crazy Diamond punched the same wall, would the lizards turn back into wall?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I don't think so. Two of Crazy Diamond's four limiting factors are that The Broken Pieces Have To Be Around, and that If It's Not Broken, It Can't Be Fixed. If the wall is lizards, then the broken pieces aren't there to be turned back into a wall, and any lizards Gold Experience makes are going to be healthy and whole, so Crazy Diamond can't fix them; there's nothing to repair.

But really, the answer is going to be "whatever Araki feels like writing that day"

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A wall of lizards

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Xand_Man posted:

A wall of lizards

:hmmyes:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

YggiDee posted:

Okay if Gold Experience punched a wall and turned half of it into lizards, and then Crazy Diamond punched the same wall, would the lizards turn back into wall?
but wall tile/brick.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I always thought the wildest thing in this show was Vanilla Ice just cutting off his head on a whim to please DIO

the bastard took Iggy from us and I will never forgive him

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Polnareff vs. Vanilla Ice was the best fight in Part 3, though, so there's good with the bad.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

Part 1 is a fascinating historical relic and Jonathan clutching Dio's head as he dies has more interesting thematic nuance than Part 2 has in it's entire run. Part 1's blend of Gothic/Victorian fiction and martial arts technique based fighting with it's questions of heroism and brotherhood only become more interesting over time as JoJo and Shonen manga get older and different, where I've found Part 2 to be more hollow every time I revisit it

As someone who thinks Battle Tendency is top 2 Jojo, if not top Jojo, I would agree with you that it gets more hollow with every rewatch/reread. Jojo2's major strength is its extreme thematic incongruity with Jojo1 (and Jojo3 for that matter) -- on its own it's actually fairly standard as shonens go.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Polnareff vs. Vanilla Ice was the best fight in Part 3, though, so there's good with the bad.

I'm partial to Jotaro vs. Steely Dan since that was a whole team effort with a nice cathartic payoff

Polnareff and Ice had a nice emotional outcome though

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jojo2's major strength is its extreme thematic incongruity with Jojo1 (and Jojo3 for that matter)

That and its OP

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Battle Tendency being paired with Phantom Blood as one season was a good idea. It's a nice pick-me-up after that really downer ending with Jonathan, and is basically just one big goofy romp with Joseph as all kinds of weird things happen, like cyborg Nazis and ancient Aztec strippers. I think its strengths come from the fact that, compared to the relatively tamer Part 1 where the weirdest things were typically background stuff (Dio's pets) or generally passed by pretty quickly (Jack the Ripper hiding inside of a horse), Part 2 just goes all in on the weirdness with things like Joseph literally pulling a gun out of his rear end to shoot up a vampire in the middle of an NYC diner or just about any of the Pillarmen's crazy abilities/body contortion. Hamon also seemed a lot flashier in this part, as opposed to the previous part where it was mostly punches, kicks, or sword slashes.

That being said, looking back kinda made me realize how much of a nothing character Caesar was given that he basically existed only to die, the damage he inflicts on Waamu was undone shortly afterwards, Joseph doesn't even take the antidote he died to get until after he beats Waamu, and the only real benefit he gave to Joseph is supplying him with a headband to burn during the chariot fight.

Messina and Loggins are also pretty nothing, and Lisa Lisa was sadly wasted, though I hear that one was more Shonen Jump's fault than Araki's. Stroheim at least gets to be comically entertaining, despite Araki kind of quietly brushing aside all of those Mexicans he mass-slaughtered during his introduction. Granted, he gets dunked on a lot and then killed off without anyone ever seeing him again at the end of the story, so I guess he does get his comeuppance to a degree.

Carlosologist posted:

I'm partial to Jotaro vs. Steely Dan since that was a whole team effort with a nice cathartic payoff

Also good.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
D'arby the Elder will always be the best part 3 fight in my heart. Everyone gets in on it but Avdol, Joseph's gambit was brilliant, D'Arby's counter-gambit was even more brilliant, and Jotaro's final method of winning relied on nothing but overwhelming willpower, which is great.

Hanged Man, Vanilla Ice, Pet Shop, and DIO are also very good fights, and more actually fights, but I'll always love D'Arby's fight the best.

Also while part 1 is being discussed again, I've said it before but part 1 just has a super weak middle section. The first 3 episodes are incredible, the last 2 episodes are excellent, the 4 episodes between those points are super forgettable. Jack, Bruford, and Dooby are all terrible fights, and Tarkus is barely better, only really getting elevated by Zeppeli's roundabout cliffhanger as he walks to his death, which was Very Cool. All of these middle fights are basically "Haha! I am scary and strong because I can do this weird trick with (a horse/my hair/snakes)!" and then Jonathan has no way to fight them!!! Until suddenly he does and they die instantly.

Its my least favorite part of the 5 the anime has covered, but the start is so strong, with Dio's arrival and plot to kill Jonathan's father, and the end is extremely good, with Dio's near-death at the castle followed up by the extremely dramatic finale on the boat. It's just a shame the middle is full of stuff like turning dry leaves into a hang glider and swimming down to the bottom of the river to find a bubble so you can shoot lightning magic through the water and other weird arbitrary nonsense. Not even the good weird arbitrary nonsense I like from the series, just the boring ones that come out of nowhere and never come up again.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

dancingbears posted:

I don't think so. Two of Crazy Diamond's four limiting factors are that The Broken Pieces Have To Be Around, and that If It's Not Broken, It Can't Be Fixed. If the wall is lizards, then the broken pieces aren't there to be turned back into a wall, and any lizards Gold Experience makes are going to be healthy and whole, so Crazy Diamond can't fix them; there's nothing to repair.

But really, the answer is going to be "whatever Araki feels like writing that day"

What if all the lizards dropped their tail? Would Crazy Diamond attach the tails to the wall, or the lizard?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's pretty funny to me how much fanart and other fan works depicts Joseph and Caesar as super close and like Joseph still super haunted by Caesar's death decades later when they knew each other for a week and never liked each other that much. I know he had the big cry and it was hosed up, but Avdol was a much closer friend for a much longer time and we don't see anything about that.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Part 2 is the worst part because it has my most hated character in fiction in it, Stroheim the good guy Nazi. gently caress that guy, gently caress everything to do with that guy, he's the worst and he drags the entire part into poo poo by existing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

gnome7 posted:

Its my least favorite part of the 5 the anime has covered, but the start is so strong, with Dio's arrival and plot to kill Jonathan's father, and the end is extremely good, with Dio's near-death at the castle followed up by the extremely dramatic finale on the boat. It's just a shame the middle is full of stuff like turning dry leaves into a hang glider and swimming down to the bottom of the river to find a bubble so you can shoot lightning magic through the water and other weird arbitrary nonsense. Not even the good weird arbitrary nonsense I like from the series, just the boring ones that come out of nowhere and never come up again.
There's as much cool and weird stuff in the middle imo.

You mention Zeppeli walking to his own death, but Jonathan fighting a historical zombie knight who could always control his hair, ending with the zombie loving Jonathan so much that he changes the name of his sword with his own blood. You have Dio forcing a woman to eat her child and making weird man animals

Also the fight with the snake guy you mention is solved in five seconds by someone dropping a literal anvil on Doobie's head and then Jonathan punches him. It's hilarious!

Part 1 is short enough and weird enough for me that I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's something about Johnathon's line that's like "I learned about these guys in history class and now here they are trying to kill me!" That I will always love.