Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Rolling Thunder 2 is the one that goes all in on the James Bond-ness:

https://youtu.be/Y8twf5Ug7o8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Nope, that's Windows. Also relatively easy to find, from the looks of things. I don't even know if my game ever had a shareware release.

Light Gun Man posted:

Try mobygames. they'll have screenshots and boxart and you can narrow it down by genre / elements and whatnot.

Nope, no good. Unless someone miscategorized it.

On the other hand, seeing some other old screenshots made me more confident in the game being 16 colors rather than 4.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I looked up screenshots, and at first thought this was it, but it looked less and less familiar.

I should have mentioned that the graphics leaned fairly more towards the "serious" side for an NES game, and so Hudson hawk wasnt it

I think this was it. I looked up videos and the main character's skinny legs stirred up some nostalgia. I think I've been remembering certain aspects incorrectly for so long that I could still be wrong. But I feel like I've seen those guys facing the computers before, and the ammo doors you go into are probably why I remembered doors+ammo. I'm going to call this one solved. Thank you all for playing!

Just so you know, Code Name Viper was a Rolling Thunder reskin (and a better game :colbert:). Could it possibly be that?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I remember playing an arcade beat-em-up in the mid-90s on a Neo-Geo cabinet where every time you beat a boss, you could play as them in the following levels. I think the starter characters were all some kind of ninja but some of the bosses you could play as were like samurais and a sumo guy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Samurai Shodown?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The Sengoku trilogy are SNK beat-em-ups with a character switching gimmick. I don't think any of them let you play as a Sumo, but the transformations are sometimes unlocked by defeating bosses.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I remember playing an arcade beat-em-up in the mid-90s on a Neo-Geo cabinet where every time you beat a boss, you could play as them in the following levels. I think the starter characters were all some kind of ninja but some of the bosses you could play as were like samurais and a sumo guy.

Could be Ninja Combat. You start out with ninjas, then several bosses/minibosses join you--a samurai guy with twin swords, a woman with a sword in a white robe and a dude in a green karate outfit that just punched people. No sumo wrestlers though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Genpei Turtle posted:

Could be Ninja Combat. You start out with ninjas, then several bosses/minibosses join you--a samurai guy with twin swords, a woman with a sword in a white robe and a dude in a green karate outfit that just punched people. No sumo wrestlers though.

That's definitely that game. I guess I thought the dude in the green karate outfit was a sumo guy because he was way bigger than all the other characters? I don't know, I was 8

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Game Names You've Forgotten - I don't know, I was 8

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Friend of mine is trying to find the name of an old platform game, possibly a Disney one, on the Mega Drive, where you collected whole witch's masks to unlock a secret level.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seedge posted:

Friend of mine is trying to find the name of an old platform game, possibly a Disney one, on the Mega Drive, where you collected whole witch's masks to unlock a secret level.

Maui Mallard, maybe? I don't think you collect them to unlock a secret level, but there is a whole witch mask motif in that game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If it is Cold Shadow you can even buy it on Steam and GOG now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda going insane over this, because I remember a whole bunch about the game but I can't think of a single pronoun to search for it:

- NES game
- Protagonist is a warrior that claimed he was better than Death, Death challenges him to a fight, and I can't remember the outcome but Death makes Protagonist unable to die unless he defeats all of the evil in the universe.
- Really long, slog of a game (I think)
- Ending has Death tell the protagonist (not sure if I should be spoiler-blocking this) "Yeah, I said all the evil in the universe, rear end in a top hat, not just this world. You're gonna have to wait until humanity evolves to travel from planet to planet, hah!"
- Has an alternate ending, where he fights Death, but the 'ending' is basically a cycling animation for a long-rear end time, but then some text (maybe 'The End', but I'm not sure) shows up after 15 minutes.
- Box art is some undead dude wearing a cone/witch hat, dual wielding swords. Dude is drawn in blues and blacks, in front of an red/orange background.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda going insane over this, because I remember a whole bunch about the game but I can't think of a single pronoun to search for it:

- NES game
- Protagonist is a warrior that claimed he was better than Death, Death challenges him to a fight, and I can't remember the outcome but Death makes Protagonist unable to die unless he defeats all of the evil in the universe.
- Ending has Death tell the protagonist (not sure if I should be spoiler-blocking this) "Yeah, I said all the evil in the universe, rear end in a top hat, not just this world. You're gonna have to wait until humanity evolves to travel from planet to planet, hah!"
- Has an alternate ending, where he fights Death, but the 'ending' is basically a cycling animation for a long-rear end time, but then some text (maybe 'The End', but I'm not sure) shows up after 15 minutes.
- Box art is some undead dude wearing a cone/witch hat, dual wielding swords. Dude is drawn in blues and blacks, in front of an red/orange background.

This is actually a Genesis game, Chakan: The Forever Man

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

- NES game

This sounds really sophisticated for an NES game. Do you remember anything about the gameplay or what year you played it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is actually a Genesis game, Chakan: The Forever Man

Yeah, I had no idea what it was until the last bit of info about the hat and the two swords. I've never played Chakan, but I'll be damned if I'll ever forget that cover.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

well, he is the Forever Man

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never played Chakan, but I'll be damned if I'll ever forget that cover.

Basically the same. I could remember bits and pieces (like, as Pablo pointed out, I got the system wrong), but that cover is stuck in my brain for some reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah, I had no idea what it was until the last bit of info about the hat and the two swords. I've never played Chakan, but I'll be damned if I'll ever forget that cover.

I've never played it either, I did know that it involved death/immortality somehow, but yeah MisterBibs description of the cover is what made me get it

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I'm trying to find an old flash game site. It was called something like 555thatsfive5s.com. Every game on it was a troll, like one where you seemed to be playing against AI that was actually just your past moves, another where the game was simply "stand there and do nothing for every level", another that could be an Eliza bot but also could secretly be another player, etc.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm trying to find an old flash game site. It was called something like 555thatsfive5s.com. Every game on it was a troll, like one where you seemed to be playing against AI that was actually just your past moves, another where the game was simply "stand there and do nothing for every level", another that could be an Eliza bot but also could secretly be another player, etc.

http://www.rrrrthats5rs.com/games/dont-shoot-the-puppy/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is a weird one. Short indie game, came out last year or so. I think it was made in Godot or Construct, one of those lightweight engines that's popular in smaller circles because I remember seeing it in a "10 games made in XYZ platform" video. It was designed by someone with a very French name.

The premise of the game is four or so heroes fighting a boss in a Suikoden/Breath of Fire JRPG style. The boss was a giant worm in a forest. Instead of stats it was a CYOA style battle where each ability caused the boss to morph into different forms. Like a fire attack would cause the boss to burst into flames but it would set the forest on fire. The goal was to find the correct combination of attacks with most combinations resulting in various death fail states.

Artistically it looked like Adventure Time. Hand drawn 2D animation, thin black lines, flat colors, noodly-armed characters. One of them was a frog knight and there was a Final Fantasy black mage type but I don't think any of the characters were distinctly human. The animation was pretty detailed as the boss morphs between grotesque forms.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

This is a weird one. Short indie game, came out last year or so. I think it was made in Godot or Construct, one of those lightweight engines that's popular in smaller circles because I remember seeing it in a "10 games made in XYZ platform" video. It was designed by someone with a very French name.

The premise of the game is four or so heroes fighting a boss in a Suikoden/Breath of Fire JRPG style. The boss was a giant worm in a forest. Instead of stats it was a CYOA style battle where each ability caused the boss to morph into different forms. Like a fire attack would cause the boss to burst into flames but it would set the forest on fire. The goal was to find the correct combination of attacks with most combinations resulting in various death fail states.

Artistically it looked like Adventure Time. Hand drawn 2D animation, thin black lines, flat colors, noodly-armed characters. One of them was a frog knight and there was a Final Fantasy black mage type but I don't think any of the characters were distinctly human. The animation was pretty detailed as the boss morphs between grotesque forms.

https://nonomiyo.itch.io/monstruous

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That was quick!

Now if only I can remember wtf this top down shooter game that's still stuck in my memory:

al-azad posted:

I saw this game on Steam but forgot to wishlist it. Came out earlier this year, or at least I first saw it come across my recommends earlier this year. It was a top down, kind of isometric shooter not dissimilar to Ruiner but instead of an 80s aesthetic it was more dark and industrial cyberpunk. I believe the main character was a cybernetic or fully armored woman shooting what looked like heavily armored SWAT guys. The names, setting, and visual style makes me believe it's an Eastern European game and setting. Very bloody and violent. Has a weird name that I would never be able to search like "Gorky" or something (no, it's not the actual game Gorky, it's just a name you would never think to search of)

It's not Jydge or any of that style of game, it might even be more of a tactical RPG like Jagged Alliance than a straight twin-stick shooter but I know it's a real thing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

It's not Jydge or any of that style of game, it might even be more of a tactical RPG like Jagged Alliance than a straight twin-stick shooter but I know it's a real thing.

The longest of shots (talking ballistic missile distances here), but maybe it's a horribly mangled memory of Brigador?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Could it be Akane?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Could it be Akane?

No, it was definitely 3D. The reason it stuck with me so much but also the reason I can't remember is that it seriously looked like Hatred visually but the player was definitely a feminine character in full armor blasting generic SWAT dudes in red mist. There was no stylization like a lot of similar games, it was just top-down pseudo isometric creeping through a house and shooting dudes in a vaguely Eastern European city backdrop.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

https://store.steampowered.com/app/625910/Time_Recoil/

Time Recoil? It doesn't have a weird name but it's a female protagonist shooting SWAT dudes into bloody messes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nah, it was super generic looking but like Hatred all the flair was in the destruction. I either stumbled on some Russian game lost to my queue or I’m conflating 10 different games together.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I actually got to play that way back in the day. Tried to play it later and the controls are pretty clunky. The game also looked at Nintendo Hard and went "no, not hard enough." Even so it's an unsung gem of platforming partly due to the concept but how it worked mechanically.

Chakan was immortal so the game doesn't have lives. If you "die" in the level you get teleported back to the hub. Each world has multiple stages but each world also has a timer. If you can't get through all of it in the given time the whole thing resets. The game is definitely a slog that most people won't sit down to actually beat all of but it's worth playing at least once just to see the mechanics of it. Definitely shows its age though.

But yeah the cover was very memorable as was the story. The entire game is loving bleak. Apparently messing with Death is a bad idea though it does have a tremendously badass line in the pre world text of the one world.

It goes to the effect of "this thing knows I am coming for it. It has surrounded itself with hordes of minions and a grant fortress. It has toiled for eons to keep me away from it." He waxes on about all the poo poo the thing did to keep him away. He then says "it has wasted its time."

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

al-azad posted:

No, it was definitely 3D. The reason it stuck with me so much but also the reason I can't remember is that it seriously looked like Hatred visually but the player was definitely a feminine character in full armor blasting generic SWAT dudes in red mist. There was no stylization like a lot of similar games, it was just top-down pseudo isometric creeping through a house and shooting dudes in a vaguely Eastern European city backdrop.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/416060/Westboro/ ?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

YES! I couldn't remember if it was an arcade shooter or one of those lovely Jagged Alliance clones but it's totally a throwback to all that weird garbage Topware Interactive flung at a wall in the early aughts.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I randomly just had a weird memory of some old hang I used to play in the early 90's, though I imagine the game is from early to mid 80's.

PC game, text based but with static images, like 1 pic per 'room/zone'. Simple monochrome graphics, but not ASCII art. The theme was the old West, and the only real specific I can remember is theres one area with a rattlesnake that kills you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of the Another Fine Mess / A Mess of Trouble games. I think one of them had a Western-themed area, though they were thematic hodge-podges at the best of times. I think they used a standard game engine though, so maybe the game you're thinking of just used the same toolkit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me of the Another Fine Mess / A Mess of Trouble games. I think one of them had a Western-themed area, though they were thematic hodge-podges at the best of times. I think they used a standard game engine though, so maybe the game you're thinking of just used the same toolkit.

I looked it up and this image from the creators website kind of looks familiar:

But it seems like these were only for Macs? This was def a DOS game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I randomly just had a weird memory of some old hang I used to play in the early 90's, though I imagine the game is from early to mid 80's.

PC game, text based but with static images, like 1 pic per 'room/zone'. Simple monochrome graphics, but not ASCII art. The theme was the old West, and the only real specific I can remember is theres one area with a rattlesnake that kills you.

Shot in the dark, but possibly "Ghost Town" by Adventure International (by Scott Adams, the game designer not the cartoonist)?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

It wouldn't happen to be The Dallas Quest would it?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

This game was cute as heck and i am sad that there aren't other stages.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Alright, here's a hard one for you:

Somewhere in the mid to late 90's I played a demo of a game:

Isometric perspective

You controlled a flying ship, the demo level took place in a forest canopy

Your ship - as I recall - was round? Like a torus? And had a big cannon in the center

Graphics were all sprite based, of that I'm convinced

When you fired your gun your ship was affected by recoil and I'm pretty sure you could fire backwards to move faster too

The game's name, I'm pretty certain, has the word "Fire" in it, I keep thinking it's something like "Firefall" or "Flash Fire" or something like that but I'm wrong on those fronts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Alright, here's a hard one for you:

Somewhere in the mid to late 90's I played a demo of a game:

Isometric perspective

You controlled a flying ship, the demo level took place in a forest canopy

Your ship - as I recall - was round? Like a torus? And had a big cannon in the center

Graphics were all sprite based, of that I'm convinced

When you fired your gun your ship was affected by recoil and I'm pretty sure you could fire backwards to move faster too

The game's name, I'm pretty certain, has the word "Fire" in it, I keep thinking it's something like "Firefall" or "Flash Fire" or something like that but I'm wrong on those fronts

I know this one easy actually, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTz2SpsIXA

Fun game.