Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Now that we know the skeletons are just normal guys in really convincing costumes, why not take a closer look at that ship?

quote:

The skeleton must have grabbed Gina. You turn around and race back out of the tunnel. You stand on the shore, gazing at the shipwreck in the blue-black water.

You gasp! The horrible skeleton is dragging Gina through a window in the side of the ship!

You dive into the pool and swim toward the tilting ship. “I’m coming, Gina,” you whisper to yourself. “Don’t worry!”

You swim underwater most of the way. As you approach the half-sunken ship, you open your eyes underwater to see it. The pink glow from the cave walls lights the scene.

The ship is huge! Its hull is stabbed by the rotted half hull of another ship. Treasure is scattered about the ocean floor like so much ocean junk. Gold coins, pearls, rubies, emeralds, and sapphires dot the sand.

You’d love to take a closer look. Exploring a pirate ship filled with treasure would be awesome! But Gina needs you on deck.

Besides, two very scary-looking skeletons stand guard inside the ripped hull of the ship.

quote:

Luckily for you, the skeleton guards don’t seem to see you. They peer into the water with blank stares.

You swim to the surface and gulp in air. You see gun ports spaced along the side of the ship above the waterline. You swim to the closest one and peek in – there’s a cabin with a table and four chairs. Skeletons sit in three of the chairs.

Gina is tied into the fourth chair! She’s blindfolded and gagged.

Your best friend is a prisoner of the skeleton crew!

You have to think fast. Should you swim around to the other side of the ship and sneak on board? Or should you try to get back to Kala and his boat and bring help?

If you sneak aboard the ship, turn to PAGE 112.

If you try to get back to Kala and bring help, turn to PAGE 75.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

Goal Endings: 1/5

Bad Endings
Mistook the mouth of a giant man-eating sea monster for a tunnel and ran inside.
Buried alive by an avalanche of pink diamonds.

Achievements
None yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncNSJGPl8X4

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Sneak

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is a sneaking mission

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Judging by the two standing guard underwater without a care in the world, something tells me the skeletons are a lot more real than they were in the other timeline. Let's not leave our cousin in the custody of ghost pirates any longer than necessary!

quote:

You swim around to the other side of the creaking ship. Wrapping your fingers over the railing, you pull yourself onto the deck. You hide behind a stack of barrels.

Several groups of skeletons in torn pirate clothes are talking on the deck. Some growl angrily about the captain who brought them to this watery grave. Others say they plan to take their riches and walk among the living again.

But it’s the group at the far end, the one in the shadows, that grabs your attention! They have Gina! And they’re shoving her into a tiny closet.

“She’ll keep here until she’s bones like us!” a skeleton snarls. You shudder when you notice one side of his skull is missing.

“Aye!” shouts a short skeleton with one arm. “Now that she’s seen us, she cannot leave the cave. And once we find the other child, our treasure is safe again!”

quote:

You hear Gina’s muffled cries from inside the closet. You feel so helpless. If you could just open that closet and...

A bony hand gripping your shoulder interrupts your thoughts.

“I’ve found the other one!” a scratchy voice bellows.

You whirl around.

And stand nose to nose with the biggest skeleton of all!

Only he has no nose! Just a gaping hole.

You gasp in the face of this walking horror show.

“Allow me to introduce myself,” snarls the fleshless creature. “I am the Master of the Ship, Captain Bones! And you are about to join my crew!”

quote:

Captain Bones knocks the barrels down with a bare-boned arm. The skeletons on the deck cheer as their Master shoves you toward the closet.

CLICK!

You’re locked in with Gina!

It’s pitch-black inside. And the tiny space stinks! You try not to breathe. You can feel Gina next to you. You can’t see a thing, but you know she’s tied up and gagged.

“Ssshhh,” you whisper to her. “Don’t make a sound. I’ll untie you.”

Your fingers fumble with the knots. It’s too difficult in the dark. You remember there’s a snorkeling flashlight hooked to the belt around your waist.

You could turn it on and see the knots better. But the light might catch the attention of the skeleton crew.

If you decide you really need light, turn to PAGE 68.

If you decide the light is too dangerous, don't turn it on, but do turn to PAGE 20.

...Yeah, the cave path doesn't exactly have the best selection of villains. Say what you will about the timeline where they're all Scooby Doo villains, but a skeleton pirate named Captain Bones is the kind of bad guy you come up with when it's five minutes until quitting time and Scholastic won't let you out of the basement until you have the new book finished.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

Bad Endings
Mistook the mouth of a giant man-eating sea monster for a tunnel and ran inside.

Achievements
None yet.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
gently caress it, light up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like we'll blow up if you light up, so let's not.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Lights out

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Turn on the light

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yes to a light.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

So what if the light catches the skeleton's attention? We're already captured. What are they going to do, lock us in another closet?

quote:

You need that light. Skeletons or no skeletons, you’ve got to untie Gina. Otherwise it will be impossible for the two of you to escape.

Your fingers fumble nervously as they search for the flashlight. At last you feel the cool metal shaft. You pull the light off your belt and turn it on.

It flickers dimly. You hit it with your palm. Finally, a steady beam gleams. You shine it on Gina.

And scream in horror!

This isn’t Gina! It’s a skeleton! A fresh one! Shreds of rotting flesh still hang from the bones of whoever this is.

Or was.

A terrible thought enters your mind.

What if this is all that’s left of your cousin?

You can’t stop screaming!

quote:

Now the skeleton beside you screams too.

It is Gina! You would recognize her yell anywhere!

But why is she calling the pirate skeletons?

Then the horrible answer hits you. Gina, your own cousin, has betrayed you. She’s turning you over to the enemy!

You hear their bony feet clacking on the wooden deck as the skeleton pirates run to the closet. The door flies open. Now you see clearly. The tattered cloth is the remains of Gina’s bathing suit. And that smirking expression on the bony skull is definitely Gina’s.

There’s no doubt about it. The screaming skeleton beside you is your cousin! She has become one of them.

And soon you’ll be one of them too.

“The spell of the pink crystals always works that way,” the Captain cackles. “Anyone who stays too long in the glow of the crystal joins us. It’s your time now.”

Gina lays a bony arm around you. “Cheer up,” she tells you. “We wanted this vacation to last forever. Now it will.”

THE END

In case it wasn't obvious: no, the pink crystals don't have any negative effects anywhere except this specific ending, so the one we picked up earlier isn't going to come back and screw us over later.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

Bad Endings
:siren:Transformed into a skeleton pirate by the light of the pink crystals.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Dive for the gleaming spearhead.
  • Get back to Kala's boat and bring help.
  • Don't turn on the light while untying Gina.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Alright, let's play by Gremlins rules. No light! No light!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I see this is one of those Goosebumps Books where Continuity is for the week. Even more than usual I mean.

Out out drat light

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I want to see what bad ending happens if we go for Kala's boat.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

On second thought, we can probably untie knots just fine in the dark.

quote:

You decide it’s too risky to turn on the flashlight. In total darkness you keep working on Gina’s ropes. “I got it!” you whisper excitedly.

“Oh, thank goodness!” Gina cries as you pull off her gag. “They’re monsters. I heard them talking. They’re planning to come back from the dead and take over the whole island!”

“Is that possible?” you ask.

“Yes! The only thing stopping them before was that they didn’t know the way up. Now we’re here – and they want us to lead them! If we refuse, we’re finished.”

“And if we don’t refuse?” you ask.

“Then Tiki Island and everyone on it is finished,” Gina whispers.

quote:

Tiki Island – doomed? “This is terrible!” you whisper.

The closet door flies open. A skeleton steps forward and yanks you and Gina out. You both tremble so much, you can hardly stand.

“Give the order, Captain Bones!” the crowd of skeletons shouts.

The skeleton called Captain Bones bares his yellowed teeth and hisses at you. “Tiki Island belongs to us. We fought for it. We died for it. Those who died, should live. Those who live, should die! The island and all this treasure belong to us. We stole it fair and square!”

He points to the trunks of treasure piled up on the deck. The skeleton crew has packed it all up to transport above ground. They’re waiting for you to show them the way.

You’re too terrified to speak. Captain Bones cackles and leans his bony head into your face. “Not ready to talk yet, eh?” he snarls. “Well, we’ve got all the time in the world. And all the time in the next world too!”

quote:

“But we don’t know how to get out of here,” you wail. “We got here by mistake!”

Captain Bones doesn’t believe you. “Throw them into the brig!” he orders. “A few days aboard our ghost ship may change their minds!”

Gina squeezes your arm. “Let’s just show them the waterfall,” she whispers shakily. “Maybe they can figure out the rest.”

You think of your mom and Kala and all the rest of the islanders who have always been so friendly in the past. This horrible skeleton man wants to destroy them all! If you show him the way out, you may be responsible for causing the worst disaster Tiki Island has ever known.

And if you refuse, you may never see daylight again.

What should you do?

If you decide to lead Captain Bones and his crew to the waterfall, turn to PAGE 101.

If you refuse, turn to PAGE 74.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

Bad Endings
Transformed into a skeleton pirate by the light of the pink crystals.

Achievements
None yet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Death before dishonor!!!!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

You all knew this was coming:

I want to get off Captain Bones' Wild Ride

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dishonor before Death!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Let's become a narc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Help the villains complete their plans

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Refuse

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

I want to get off Captain Bones' Wild Ride

Not sure whether this is a vote for leading him to the waterfall or refusing, but in the interests of keeping this thread moving along, I'm going to assume it's the former so we don't have to wait for a tiebreaker.

quote:

“No!” you cry. “Don’t throw us in the brig. We’ll lead you out of here. We’ll do anything you say. Just let us go. Please!”

“A wise decision,” Captain Bones snaps. Then he turns to the skeleton crew. “Bring the treasure!” he commands.

The skeletons hurriedly lift trunk after trunk filled with gold, gems, and jewels they stole from the Tiki Islanders years ago. “Lead the way, then,” Captain Bones orders you. “And don’t try any funny business!”

You and Gina dive over the side of the pirate ship. The skeleton crew jumps in after you. Even with the weight of the treasure chests they manage to swim through the water.

“What will we do now?” Gina whispers as she swims next to you. “Are we really going to let them go through with their plan to take over Tiki Island?”

“Not if my own plan works,” you reply. “Go along with what I say and do.”

quote:

You reach the waterfall that swept you and Gina to the pirate ship. You point to the stone staircase carved into the cave wall. “That’s the way out, Captain Bones,” you announce. “But we should wait until everyone is ashore with the treasure before we climb up.”

As the skeletons drag the treasure chests onto the black sand at the base of the stairs, you and Gina wander among them.

“So, how much of the treasure do you think Ol’ Bony is going to let you keep?” you ask a pair of grinning skeletons.

“Why, our share!” the taller one declares.

You raise your voice a bit so more of the skeleton crew can hear you. “And how is your share decided? By rank? By how hard you worked to get it?”

The skeletons begin grumbling and murmuring.

“Won’t Captain Bones try to keep it all for himself?” Gina adds. She winks at you. She’s figured out your plan.

When you snuck aboard you overheard a group of skeletons complaining. This group doesn’t strike you as a very loyal bunch. It should be easy to stir up trouble!

It is!

quote:

“The kid’s right!” a one-legged pirate skeleton hisses. “The Captain will try to cheat us!”

“Are you sure the treasure is all still here?” Gina asks.

“I’d count it all if I were you,” you suggest.

Three skeletons lift a trunk into the air. Then they dump the contents onto the black sand.

“Hey!” Captain Bones bellows. “What are you doing?”

“It’s what you’re doing that worries us!” snaps the one-legged pirate.

Now all the other skeletons are arguing. Some shove gems into their pockets. Others count gold coins. Skeletons begin pushing and shoving, trying to keep the treasure for themselves.

“Mutiny!” Captain Bones cries. “This is mutiny!”

The skeletons pull swords! They attack each other!

“Now!” you whisper to Gina.

Grabbing a treasure chest, you and Gina race to the stairs. You start climbing the slippery rock steps. Kelp and sea moss cover the stone, making it very hard to keep your footing.

quote:

You glance down from the rocky rim of the small pool at the top of the stairs. Most of the skeletons are too busy fighting to notice you’ve escaped.

But not Captain Bones.

“They’re gone!” he shouts. “The kids are gone!”

Captain Bones clatters to the stairs, followed by his two remaining loyal crew members. They try to follow you up the stone staircase. But bones have no traction. Their bony feet slip on the steps. Like a row of toppling dominoes, they fall backwards down the stairs.

Screaming and bellowing, Captain Bones begs for help. “After them! Tiki Island belongs to us! The treasure is ours!”

But it’s no use. The battling skeletons ignore him.

You and Gina make your way along the narrow stone ledge along the side of the pool. This time the currents are on your side. The path is clear. Dragging the trunk between you, you surface.

There’s no shark there now. But Kala, his father, and your parents are waiting for you in boats anchored by the reef.

quote:

The second he sees you, Kala jumps into the water. He helps you and Gina drag the treasure chest to the boat. You scramble aboard.

Kala’s father is the first to realize what the chest holds. “It’s the lost treasure of Tiki Island!” he exclaims happily. “The markings on the chest are of the old Tiki tribe robbed by pirates long ago.”

Kala and his father go back later for the rest of the treasure. But the passageway is blocked. That’s okay, you figure. At least the skeleton pirates can’t get out!

All is as it should be on Tiki Island. The people are friendly again. The curse has been lifted. Tourists will soon return. You and Gina are heroes. You’re even given a bit of treasure as a reward.

“So what do you say, Gina?” you ask. “Want to go snorkeling?”

“I’ve had enough excitement for one day,” she says. “How about a nice walk on Mount Kenalua instead?”

“But that’s a volcano!” you tell her.

She shrugs. “After the adventure we’ve had, even a volcano would seem nice and calm.”

You laugh. But you can’t help but wonder if this is truly

THE END.

Well, that was a lot easier to resolve than expected. Still, at least we got some treasure out of the deal, not to mention a bit of foreshadowing about where we'll be going on one of the other paths...

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

:siren:Goal Endings: 2/5:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Refuse to help the skeleton pirates escape.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Refuse to help the pirates

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Go back and get Kala

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Not sure whether this is a vote for leading him to the waterfall or refusing, but in the interests of keeping this thread moving along, I'm going to assume it's the former so we don't have to wait for a tiebreaker.

It was the latter but I accept this decision.

Refuse to help.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Treasure! Mine! Mine!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Gotta say, so far this one hasn't had the nonsense and abrupt shut-downs that I most enjoy in this series. That said, get Kala.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Refuse!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Common sense would dictate that not leading an army of ghost pirates to the surface to continue their reign of terror is the correct decision. Of course, we all know what Give Yourself Goosebumps thinks of common sense...

quote:

“Forget it, bonehead!” you shout.

“Take them below!” Captain Bones orders the crew. “Show no mercy.” His jawbone juts out as he thrusts his bony skull close to your face. “You’ll talk soon enough,” he snarls. “Or you’ll never talk again!”

The hatch in the floor of the deck opens. You and Gina are forced down the rickety stairs. You wade through waist-high water.

SLAM! The hatch bangs shut above you. One small torch on the wall casts a yellow glow over the dungeon. “Aaahhhhh!” you scream when you see skeletons hanging in chains from the walls.

“They never got out – and we won’t, either!” Gina wails.

Something swims through your legs and back again. “Yikes!” you squeal as the slimy thing brushes against your bare leg.

“What is it?” Gina cries. “I feel it too!”

Whatever it is, it’s nibbling at your ankles. You peer down into the water and see schools of vicious-looking fish. Their round spiked heads have huge mouths filled with three rows of razor-sharp teeth.

They surround you!

quote:

“Climb back up the steps!” you shout to Gina. “It’s our only chance!”

You lead the way up the steps. Only three of the rotted wood stairs are above the water. You huddle close to the ceiling and try to keep your legs away from the meat-eating fish.

SNAP! The top step breaks in two! You fall to the next step down.

SNAP! The next step breaks! You drop to the one below.

SNAP! The last step cracks in half. You drop into the waiting jaws of the hungry fish.

It’s over in seconds. The fish waste no time in finishing you and Gina off. All that’s left are your bones.

But don’t worry. You won’t be alone. As a matter of fact, you’ll fit right in! There’s a whole crowd waiting on deck to welcome you to Captain Bones’s skeleton crew.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

Goal Endings: 2/5

Bad Endings
:siren:Skeletonized by a school of piranha in the brig.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get Kala's help

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Spearhead!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Get Carter Kala

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Kala! Kala! Kala!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Yes, let's go back to the surface and ask adults for help instead of taking on an undead army ourselves. That always works in these books!

quote:

There are too many skeletons to fight alone. You have to go for help.

You swim toward the waterfall that dumped you here. The current is against you. Your arms can hardly pull you forward. But you force yourself to continue swimming. I have to get help, you tell yourself over and over. You reach and kick. Reach and kick.

A long, snakelike arm suddenly wraps around you! It pulls you underwater.

You struggle to free yourself, but another arm wraps around you. Then another! And another!

Those aren’t arms! They’re tentacles! Eight thick tentacles!

Oh, no! You’re trapped in the grip of a giant octopus!

quote:

The horrible creature drags you through the water. It pulls you into another pool-filled cave.

Filled with more giant octopuses!

You don’t have time to think! To move! To scream!

All of the monster octopuses wrap their arms around you. The rows of suction cups on each of their arms suck at your skin until it’s purple. They grip you so hard, you can barely breathe!

There are too many octopuses to count. And there are definitely too many to escape from. Unless you can wiggle your way out of their tangled mess and leave them tied up in their own knots.

If you think you can wiggle your way out of this tangled octopus maze, turn to PAGE 121.

If you try the escape method you always use when you wrestle with Gina - tickling under the arms - turn to PAGE 48.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

Bad Endings
Skeletonized by a school of piranha in the brig.

Achievements
None yet.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tickling the octopus is so stupid it might work. Tickle the octopus

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wiggle wiggle wiggle.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Too many suckers to wiggle out of, better tickle

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Tickle what passes for arms.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
When in doubt, tickle an octopus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Tickle a crowd of giant octopuses under their arms?

Are you serious?

These octopuses are monsters! They’re dangerous! They want to wrap you up so tightly, you can’t even breathe!

Did you really think you could get out of this octopus mess just by tickling them?

You’ve got to be kidding!

But go ahead and try it if you like.

When you find yourself still wrapped in the arms of danger, turn to PAGE 121 for some serious escape tactics!

Oh, screw you, Stine. You once wrote a book where the monsters were killed by pinching them to death, and now you want to try and pretend you're all serious? Fine, whatever. Let's try out that maze.

quote:

Take a look at the tangle of octopus arms below. See that little dot at the bottom of one of the arms? Know what that is? It’s you!

Yes, you.

And there’s only one way out.

Do it for Gina! She needs you!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

Bad Endings
Skeletonized by a school of piranha in the brig.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 20, 2019