Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I think it used to be that you had to be given one of those jackets by the owners which was a symbol that you had made it, but now some wrestlers are just buying them.

I can’t remember any of the wrestlers involved, but I vaguely remember some passive aggressive tweets a few years ago where a wrestler was subtweeting indie wrestlers that flew themselves to Japan on their own dime, begged for bookings once they got there, and paid to get a jacket at Ribera. And then bragged like they had accomplished something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Big Bidness posted:

I think it used to be that you had to be given one of those jackets by the owners which was a symbol that you had made it, but now some wrestlers are just buying them.

I can’t remember any of the wrestlers involved, but I vaguely remember some passive aggressive tweets a few years ago where a wrestler was subtweeting indie wrestlers that flew themselves to Japan on their own dime, begged for bookings once they got there, and paid to get a jacket at Ribera. And then bragged like they had accomplished something.

When they inspect the inner lining, the words 'BAKA GAIJIN' are stitched in.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Drax bullied Chuck Taylor into deleting the tweet instantly losing any cred he's had for being cool

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1161507107356794880

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

maybe Skipper told them not to give him one as a prank

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What did Chuckie say about the jackets that made Batista get mad?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

extradite THIS! posted:

What did Chuckie say about the jackets that made Batista get mad?

he said ribera sucks because he wrestled for new japan for like a year and went to one with okada and they never gave him a jacket

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

KungFu Grip posted:

Drax bullied Chuck Taylor into deleting the tweet instantly losing any cred he's had for being cool

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1161507107356794880

dave you don't get to give condescending career advice to someone who started wrestling 2 years after you and kept going for 9 years after you retired

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
gently caress Batista. All the harassment stuff is back on the table for noted sex pest Dave Bautista. Dustin deserves a jacket over anyone. This whole industry is bankrupt and devoid of humor over a mediocre steakhouse

Dustin come to a Ponderosa or the few remaining Quincy's

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

[Deleted Post]

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 14, 2019

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Chuck probably would have deleted it eventually with out Batista making GBS threads on him because he deletes tweets all the time

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

interesting info

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That’s a major overreaction by Big Dave TBH, a bit disappointing.

Also the thing with Ribera at that time wasn’t just cheap steaks, but also large ones. I can’t imagine there were many places in Tokyo doing proper American-style steaks at that time...and lol like wrestlers would bother shelling out on getting into the American Club.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Big Dave is a bit of a nonce, yea?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Speaking of steaks in Japan, I was amused by a steak restaurant I saw in Osaka. It was called "Suddenly Steak". I did not go in. Well, that's my story, thanks for reading

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Batista is awesome

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

batista is right

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

yea ok posted:

batista is right

I can see both sides of this silly debate; I do think Dave meant well, but he comes off very patronizing. Chuck isn't some rookie, and has paid way more dues than Batista.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Batista is awesome

yea ok posted:

batista is right

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in 2006 triple h taught batista about the jackets after he said they look stupid and he replied with an overly loud "ha" and they mutually changed the subject

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Ribera Steakhouse is welcomed by "The Animal" Batista into the celebrity wing of the WWE Hall of Fame, Class of 2020. God bless the steak which giveth us sustenance and provides our great leader in sports entertainment with genius creative energy when delivered as a wrap with ketchup. I ain't joking, kid, this is serious. Ribera is NOT for phony play rasslers. Do not mention it ever again.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I didn't realize Ribera was important to the movie industry too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Is the Ribera logo still in the 2K games?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stupid carne fucks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I was trying to find Ishii in a Ribera jacket and instead I stumbled on this... God I hope this is true

https://www.reddit.com/r/njpw/comments/a5ino7/japanese_wrestlers_who_have_a_background_in_food/

Japanese Wrestlers Who Have a Background in Food for UK TV Show

Hi there,

I'm currently researching for a new TV show in the UK. We are doing a tour of Japan starting off in Akita, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima and ending in Okinawa. Being a food/entertainment show (and myself being a huge wrestling fan) I thought it would be fun to have a wrestler involved who also has a background in food.

I stumbled across Ryukyu The Mad Dog Dingo who is a vegan chef with his own channel. Another wrestler from Japan with a similar background in food would be amazing! Ideally English speaking and from the area but it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Tom.

P.S I'm really new to reddit so sorry if this post goes against any rules!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Stupid carne fucks

They are not with cheese

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i will pay just about any amount of money for a set of Tomohiro Ishii dinner plates

“How was the steak, my darling?”
“TOUGH AND HARD”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

jesus WEP posted:

i will pay just about any amount of money for a set of Tomohiro Ishii dinner plates

“How was the steak, my darling?”
“TOUGH AND HARD”

https://www.asmart.jp/SmartPhone/Gl/Form/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?shop=0&cat=600612&swrd=&pid=10015807&lang=En

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its extra funny that Dan Ryckert has a Ribera jacket because apparently all he did was say that he was totally a wrestler and they just gave him one. this was even a few years before he started doing his indie manager appearances.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Product "Tomohiro Ishii With oval "CHIN," plate + original recipe card" of cart number 1 cannot be shipped overseas.Please delete the corresponding product (s) from the cart.

😭

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

jesus WEP posted:

Product "Tomohiro Ishii With oval "CHIN," plate + original recipe card" of cart number 1 cannot be shipped overseas.Please delete the corresponding product (s) from the cart.

😭

Tenso.com for forwarding services if you want it bad enough!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Alaois posted:

its extra funny that Dan Ryckert has a Ribera jacket because apparently all he did was say that he was totally a wrestler and they just gave him one. this was even a few years before he started doing his indie manager appearances.

Dan is able to somehow cause anything he wants to happen it's kind of incredible

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Dan is able to somehow cause anything he wants to happen it's kind of incredible
His entire life is like watching a living, breathing Forrest Gump

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RealFoxy posted:

His entire life is like watching a living, breathing Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump mixed with Cosmo Kramer.

He just kind of bumbles into amazing situations and somehow always, always end up coming out on top and better than he was before.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it's because he's extremely smart and good with people but says "wait so what's a grape?" every so often to keep up appearances

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

yea ok posted:

it's because he's extremely smart and good with people but says "wait so what's a grape?" every so often to keep up appearances

It's amazing how many people buy into him being a total moron

He's like one of those old school magicians that never broke character even when the cameras were off

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

He was never able to successfully get backstage during the Monday Night Wars by claiming to be Dan Hickenbottom and has been trying to make up for that ever since.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's amazing how many people buy into him being a total moron

He's like one of those old school magicians that never broke character even when the cameras were off

Now I’m imagining Dan as Borden in The Prestige and, well, it’s certainly something

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dan is really smart.

He also grew up in Kansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I thought y'all were talking about Dan Barry for a minute and I like that version of the Ribera story better.