Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

AnoHito posted:

up that admin slider to max and keep it there

And then once you have 100% admin efficiency you keep the slider at 41% so you stay at 100% admin efficiency while paying the least amount you need to. This is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Things are making more sense. It’s upsetting that I kept trying to play EU4 like Victoria 2. I could have saved the 200 hours spent there and just played this instead.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You can have this very weird effect where you can't actually enforce social protection policies if you keep your population too happy, which is bad because you really want everything that gives you population growth.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So uh, does this game only have like 1 or 2 songs?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

buglord posted:

That's why you mute the music in Paradox games and listen to your own.
Or install the excellent Ultimate mod for a great selection of classical music!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

buglord posted:

They expect you to have gone deaf after listening that long.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Just find a collection of all of John Philip Sousa's marches and play those forever.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Does anyone remember that video where they layered the Vicky 2 sound effects over the music track? I can't remember what it was called

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I'm not even sure what's wrong with my copy, but the music has always bugged out after a while during a campaign, so now I just always have it muted.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

You can have this very weird effect where you can't actually enforce social protection policies if you keep your population too happy, which is bad because you really want everything that gives you population growth.

Victoria 2 promotes accelerationism.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Iirc the only social reforms that are actually useful are better healthcare and education, the other ones just reduce productivity. The only gameplay reason to enact them is to bleed off militancy.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Which, to be fair, is pretty accurate to the time period. The state gains nothing from a higher minimum wage or a reduced working day, even if it vastly improves the lot of the proles it's not in the interest of the ruling elite to reduce productivity in favor of worker comfort unless the alternative is the proles hoisting red banners and shooting you.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i can still hear that one song from eu2, you know the one

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
After hearing all this about Vicky 2 im curious what happens when you go communist

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Iirc the only social reforms that are actually useful are better healthcare and education, the other ones just reduce productivity. The only gameplay reason to enact them is to bleed off militancy.

All social reforms increase immigration attraction, which is really important if you're in the New World.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

After hearing all this about Vicky 2 im curious what happens when you go communist

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flavius Aetass posted:

i can still hear that one song from eu2, you know the one
Falalan? How could one ever forget?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i dont understand the concept of factory management being "boring"

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Depending on who you play as and how much attention you want to pay to RGO bonuses it can be a lot of work.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/interim-report-january-june-2019/

Imperator has not been a flop money wise it seems. It was the only major release 2nd quarter, which saw a 30% increase on same time 2018.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
oh my god how do I end the endless Anti Manchu Feelings spam when playing as the Chinese Empire? This pops off constantly. Reddit says I need some sort of taiping rebellion event to fire off, which requires 3 population consciousness? Despite how much I try to shoot myself in the foot, I can not get the population that involved. Its 1886 and I westernized in the mid 70s...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't play as China. It's awful

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

V for Vegas posted:

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/interim-report-january-june-2019/

Imperator has not been a flop money wise it seems. It was the only major release 2nd quarter, which saw a 30% increase on same time 2018.

If my experience is any example, I bought the game because I like Paradox games, then didn't play it because I didn't find it interesting.

So it could have a decent launch, but DLCs for it won't sell well and it'll depress the sales on the next Paradox game.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

buglord posted:

oh my god how do I end the endless Anti Manchu Feelings spam when playing as the Chinese Empire? This pops off constantly. Reddit says I need some sort of taiping rebellion event to fire off, which requires 3 population consciousness? Despite how much I try to shoot myself in the foot, I can not get the population that involved. Its 1886 and I westernized in the mid 70s...

You could poke around in the game files and edit the MTTH for that event so it never fires. I have to do this when playing as the US because you get a similar amount of event spam leading up to the civil war.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Or just use the console, I don't think Victoria II even had Ironman, and trigger the event.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gort posted:

If my experience is any example, I bought the game because I like Paradox games, then didn't play it because I didn't find it interesting.

So it could have a decent launch, but DLCs for it won't sell well and it'll depress the sales on the next Paradox game.

I'm in the same boat, but with them taking a year to do free patches before selling any DLC might make it interesting enough for me to actually be interested in a DLC now. It seems like they've already improved it a ton.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Koramei posted:

I'm in the same boat, but with them taking a year to do free patches before selling any DLC might make it interesting enough for me to actually be interested in a DLC now. It seems like they've already improved it a ton.

Yeah, I'm waiting until the "combine all the different kinds of power into one" thing gets a full release and then I'll try again.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Why did you have to talk about Vicky 2?! Now you made me go and download HPM and start a new game as Sweden... Time for the Kalmar Union 2.0.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I achieved my dream of Full Communism Now and actually realized I prefer entrepreneurs handling subsidized factories over me having to make all the decisions myself.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Only Full Communism Now in a country with state capitalism as their communist party's economic policy.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'm waiting until the "combine all the different kinds of power into one" thing gets a full release and then I'll try again.

Fwiw I think the focus on implementing sim mechanics is adding a lot more to the game than Stellaris's leguin update, which ended up being a bit of a disappointment to me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The best thing about playing the USA in Vicky 2 is that you can drop taxes to nothing, pump spending all the way up, and ride a deficit all the way up to profitability.

The worst bit is you are so vast that you can't really build industry like the Europeans can build industry because your population disappears into the vast farms/forests/mines of the West.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The only music that matters in Vicky 2 is playing the Vicky 1 soundtrack on Spotify while you play, imo

gimme that Radetzky March while staffing my factories imo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Shame that HPM causes so much slowdown for me, even right from the start date.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Falalan? How could one ever forget?

Literally whistling it now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeesh USA is also sorta ruined in Vicky 2 by civil war event spam. Kind of a shame that both China and the US are kinda unsatisfying to play because of spam.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
This province has a new tractor! This province is using dynamite! Elections! Teach which curriculum! Blood for oil!

Yeah the event spam gets pretty ridiculous, but the US definitely has the biggest problems with it. One of the games most annoying flaws to be honest.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
The United States event spam was enough for me to never play as them again.

Victoria 2 is an amazing game but also extremely flawed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

"And remember this choice in future" would be great for those popups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

OpenV2 will be the savior the thread needs and the V3 that paradox will never make