Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is only tangentially related, but Cordelia from Buffy The Vampire Slayer helped capture a serial killer cop (I guess spree killer) in San Diego when she was in high school. Relevant because all cops are basically serial killers but some break the rules that keep them invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is only tangentially related, but Cordelia from Buffy The Vampire Slayer helped capture a serial killer cop (I guess spree killer) in San Diego when she was in high school. Relevant because all cops are basically serial killers but some break the rules that keep them invisible.

quote:

While swimming in San Diego in 1991, she and two of her friends were attacked by Henry Hubbard Jr., a former San Diego police officer and serial rapist who attempted to subdue her two male friends at gunpoint. During the struggle, her two friends and Hubbard were all shot, forcing him to flee the scene. Her friends survived. Hubbard was arrested, convicted and sentenced to 56 years in prison for a series of rapes and robberies. Carpenter brought Hubbard's police-issue flashlight from the beach, which he had left at the scene, and the flashlight became a key piece of evidence against him.[9][10][11][12]
:stonk:

I thought it was a reference to a different San Diego serial killer/cop from that same era.

San Diego cops are something else, I tell ya.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
nazi drama in houston :yikes:

https://twitter.com/noblogs/status/1161343233479380996

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
wow, self-cleaning nazis

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It is still amazing how quickly they melt down under the slightest pressure.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/keyfournine/status/1161383950436184064?s=19

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Evo had roofies and sexual assaults going around their afterparties this year, didn't they? I read that on a forum somewhere, probably the evo thread here.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/ThePlaylist/status/1161320018346250241?s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
well let's be fair, an imaginary hitler friend movie sounds like alt right catnip

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I can't tell the difference between these fuckers anymore. I thought he was the vegas guy who threatened to shoot up a gay bar and synagogue.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1161325831953666048

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqd4yNFuSw

this movie looks amazing, gently caress these cowards

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/EyesOnTheRight/status/1161326387950706688

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1161579495922511879

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao i tweeted this at the artist a few days ago:

and she tried to fix the kid's face:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cleft palets will not be admitted into the White Kingdom

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The original Fight Club book was much more aggressive about fight clubs being poo poo than the movie. Tyler is consistently presented as a clueless, superficially convincing fuckwit whose plan fails miserably at the end, and the book makes it very obvious that the fight clubs are just the capitalist hellscape that the cast tried to flee from, but with the euphemisms that cushion their brutality stripped away - the protagonist has accomplished nothing except making the world take pride in its cruelty and idiocy. The movie, meanwhile, casts Brad Pitt as Tyler and has his plan succeed perfectly, and judging by his afterword to Fight Club in the edition I read, it seems to have radicalised Chuck and convinced him that Tyler was right and fight clubs are cool.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Besides Fight Club, The Matrix is another popular movie that has gained cult status with the fash who are too obtuse to understand that it is very anti-the-thing-the-movie-is-on-the-surface.

Partly, it's becuse I don't thing the Wachowskis were confident or allowed to put some of the more specific allusions of transgender identity, aka one of the female characters who was originally supposed to 'become a man' when she entered the matrix. But literally the anti-fascism is right there "human beings are a virus etc".

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
when i was a kid i saw the fight club movie before i read the book and i didn't think it was very fashy at all. like they're almost explicitly trying to destroy capitalism because its alienating and dehumanizing and even if its supposed to be an idiotic idea the appeal is supposed to be inherently obvious

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cargo cult posted:

when i was a kid i saw the fight club movie before i read the book and i didn't think it was very fashy at all. like they're almost explicitly trying to destroy capitalism because its alienating and dehumanizing and even if its supposed to be an idiotic idea the appeal is supposed to be inherently obvious

The way they do it is extremely fashy, though (fascism is mad keen on repurposing anticapitalist rhetoric for its own death-cult ends), and the book at least makes it clear that they're not destroying capitalism, but refining it (which is also an accurate description of fascism).

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
why specifically is it fashy in the movie

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's anprim, it's basically RETURN TO REAL MAN WARRIOR SOCIETY

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the main flaw with the movie is that is carried the undertone that durden was a manipulative bastard who's in this for his own ego but hes played by Brad Pitt so he seems cool regardless

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i always think of rousseau when i think of anprim poo poo and it always seemed humanistic to me

although maybe noble savage mythologizing is inherently kind of fashy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's not even really anprim in the movie. Tyler just ends up supplanting himself for consumerism as the object of worship and desire. nobody becomes self-actualized through Fight Club because their self worth is tied in service to Tyler Durden. The real appeal of being Tyler Durden is the appeal of being Il Duce, and even after Ed Norton kills the Tyler in his brain, the Fight Club network remains. They're still going to be looking for Tyler to lead them.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Agean90 posted:

the main flaw with the movie is that is carried the undertone that durden was a manipulative bastard who's in this for his own ego but hes played by Brad Pitt so he seems cool regardless

essentially \/ but for fight club

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

cargo cult posted:

i always think of rousseau when i think of anprim poo poo and it always seemed humanistic to me

although maybe noble savage mythologizing is inherently kind of fashy

I watched Valerian recently, and I swear to God that 90% of French Sci Fi is all about saving the noble savages, who all incidentally are tall and beautiful humanoids who live in impossible harmony with natural abundance.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not even really anprim in the movie. Tyler just ends up supplanting himself for consumerism as the object of worship and desire. nobody becomes self-actualized through Fight Club because their self worth is tied in service to Tyler Durden. The real appeal of being Tyler Durden is the appeal of being Il Duce, and even after Ed Norton kills the Tyler in his brain, the Fight Club network remains. They're still going to be looking for Tyler to lead them.
lol i somehow never realized that its a sweaty personality cult

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

cargo cult posted:

lol i somehow never realized that its a sweaty personality cult

He's literally brainwashing them with his ideology as a captive audience, while they're working for him.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hell there was that one scene with the hatchetmen watching their deeds on the telly with bud and doritos very much in-frame.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

(in extremely Ray Blanchard voice) Makes Sense

help I’m dying

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

team yiffy

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/getongab/status/1161058526426554368?s=21
"we made a social network just for women, it's called Bitchez"

aware of dog has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Aug 14, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
a single user did that?

also, spinster - are they really going for some kind of incel theme here?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You can see all of our feminist users just off screen, tweeting with us

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I'm gonna guess it's TERFchat

edit: indeed it is

Neon Noodle has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Aug 14, 2019

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Neon Noodle posted:

I'm gonna guess it's TERFchat

Yup! You're 100% correct, it's nothing but "gender critical" morons who want a place to shitpost without getting banned.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jesus can someone scan a copy of this thing, that sounds hilarious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

a single user did that?

also, spinster - are they really going for some kind of incel theme here?

no, it's a bunch of TERFs trying to reclaim it for "real women." Makes sense the only place they'd feel safe was with the rest of the right-wing on gab.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The world desperately needed a platform for TERFs so bad they got banned from mumschan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Darth Walrus posted:

The original Fight Club book was much more aggressive about fight clubs being poo poo than the movie. Tyler is consistently presented as a clueless, superficially convincing fuckwit whose plan fails miserably at the end, and the book makes it very obvious that the fight clubs are just the capitalist hellscape that the cast tried to flee from, but with the euphemisms that cushion their brutality stripped away - the protagonist has accomplished nothing except making the world take pride in its cruelty and idiocy. The movie, meanwhile, casts Brad Pitt as Tyler and has his plan succeed perfectly, and judging by his afterword to Fight Club in the edition I read, it seems to have radicalised Chuck and convinced him that Tyler was right and fight clubs are cool.

fight club the movie ruined him as an author for the exact reason you said, but i still really enjoyed both the fight club and survivor novels

anything he wrote after that is pure poo poo though