Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What's the deal with casting time in 5e? Reduced? Instantaneous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

PoE 2 is a hard choice between turn based and RTwP right? I played some Pathfinder myself last night and I like how with the mod its just a toggle. You can zip through easy fights and go TB for the harder ones. Makes me think of Might and Magic 6-8. It is definitely easy to abuse the toggle with the mod version, but I think were it integrated properly that would be reduced. I don't recall many exploits in MM6-8 with turning on/off TB mode (there were certainly plenty of exploits in general).

I really miss the Pillars world though. It is much more interesting and better written than this (whether that's true to Pathfinder as the PnP setting or their implementation I dunno). The actual writing is good (if a bit uneven) but it's the world I'm thoroughly bored by so far. Faerun was always the least interesting D&D setting and presumably this is in heavy imitation of it, but so far it doesn't seem like Pathfinder has even as many interesting details as FR. Hopefully it gets better.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Favorite new thing in Sanctuary RPG, the 100% ASCII graphics crpg, is the the totally optional tavern management mini-game where you can upgrade the tavern to hold more patrons/sell more expensive drinks, serve drinks, order new supplies, and even totally debase yourself in front of crowds for the chance to get free gifts(randomized loot).

Also going to see if a day0 team of Fidel + Hurl E. Cutter for JA1 results in what's implied in Jagged Alliance 2.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

PoE 2 is a hard choice between turn based and RTwP right?

Yes, though you can switch between the two with console commands if you really want.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm still enjoying Pathfinder more than I thought. The mod RTwP/TB toggle is amazing. When I hit a boring dungeon (I'm not arachnophobic but holy poo poo are giant spiders boring) I cruise through in real time with everyone on beatdown mode, but any interesting fights I can just toggle back to turn based. It's not bug free, but it works really well.

I hope Larian considers this for BG3.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

For something a little more "old school" than usual, Data-Driven Gamer is talking about wizardry : http://datadrivengamer.blogspot.com/2019/08/game-85-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-mad.html

quote:

I’ve hacked together a “fixed” version of Wizardry for the Apple II which restores the initial game state to what I believe is the correct out-of-the-box status. To my knowledge, none of the disk images on the Internet except for this one are correct. The main difference is the restoration of a miniboss on level 4 who can, intentionally, only be fought once, and is then deleted from the disk forever, and his unique treasure goes with him. On every Apple II copy out there that I’ve looked at, this miniboss is already gone, and his unique treasure has been sold to Boltac’s.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

fritz posted:

For something a little more "old school" than usual, Data-Driven Gamer is talking about wizardry : http://datadrivengamer.blogspot.com/2019/08/game-85-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-mad.html

That's crazy.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

fritz posted:

Neato.

Seems like quite a few of those very old RPGs were weird about tracking state and didn't really anticipate you ever wanting to truly start the game over from scratch. Might & Magic 2 had a similar but more serious issue: there was an in-game option to reset character data, deleting all your party members, but the catch was that it also deleted all recruitable hirelings without resetting the flag that indicated they'd already been recruited, so you could never get them back. If you'd already collected them all and didn't have a backup of the character data file, this would make that copy of the game permanently unwinnable, since there was a point late in the main quest where you needed a hireling to progress.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've never liked this kind of thing. I just think that it is bad design to make anything permanently missalbe/un-redoable. I know that this is going to be an apples vs. oranges comparison, but I used to play an MMO that had a once-per-server event and, as you might expect, it mostly just engendered resentment.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It wasn't bad design, it was bad programming within the limitations of the time. You didn't install games, you ran them from disk, but you weren't supposed to run it from the sale disk, you were supposed to make a playing copy and play with that (essentially you "installed it" to a floppy by copying it). Then when you hosed the game up you made a new copy. But you could play from the disk and because people were lazy/cheap they often did.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It wasn't bad design, it was bad programming within the limitations of the time. You didn't install games, you ran them from disk, but you weren't supposed to run it from the sale disk, you were supposed to make a playing copy and play with that (essentially you "installed it" to a floppy by copying it). Then when you hosed the game up you made a new copy. But you could play from the disk and because people were lazy/cheap they often did.

Also the disk copy programs they included were incredibly slow.

I remember Wasteland on C64 would take hours to make play copies of all the disks.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Also the disk copy programs they included were incredibly slow.

I remember Wasteland on C64 would take hours to make play copies of all the disks.

That's more a function of the fact that the C64's disk drives were legendary for how bad and slow they were, even compared to all the other 8-bit computers at the time.

Also FWIW you usually couldn't play from the disk for most of these games normally since they came on floppies without the notch in their side that allowed writes to the disk. You'd either have to make a copy or notch the disk yourself in order to save anything. That is, if you actually obtained the game legitimately--if you pirated it (which most people did) it'd by definition come on a writable disk.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Genpei Turtle posted:

That's more a function of the fact that the C64's disk drives were legendary for how bad and slow they were, even compared to all the other 8-bit computers at the time.

Also FWIW you usually couldn't play from the disk for most of these games normally since they came on floppies without the notch in their side that allowed writes to the disk. You'd either have to make a copy or notch the disk yourself in order to save anything. That is, if you actually obtained the game legitimately--if you pirated it (which most people did) it'd by definition come on a writable disk.

You'd STILL wanna make copies though, cuz in addition to being slow as balls 1541s loved to gently caress up disks. Playing anything off original disks back then was asking for trouble. That's part of why so much copy-protection for c64 games was code wheels and asking for lines from a manual or other reference material; they basically HAD to let you make copies of disks, not that it stopped EA, late-era Epyx and others from trying to make DRM'd 5 1/4" disks anyway because gently caress the consumer.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I wish I had owned more RPGs as a kid, I dutifully made copies of every master disk when it wrote to the disk so my originals are pristine. Though it does not seem like there is an incredible demand for the original disks for Jumpman

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

chairface posted:

You'd STILL wanna make copies though, cuz in addition to being slow as balls 1541s loved to gently caress up disks. Playing anything off original disks back then was asking for trouble. That's part of why so much copy-protection for c64 games was code wheels and asking for lines from a manual or other reference material; they basically HAD to let you make copies of disks, not that it stopped EA, late-era Epyx and others from trying to make DRM'd 5 1/4" disks anyway because gently caress the consumer.

Fun fact—the 1541 primarily hosed up disks because it had no way to detect when it reached track 0. When something went wrong it would just “rewind” 40 tracks regardless of where the drive head was. So if you were on, say, track 5, the drive head would rewind 5 tracks and then slam against a stop 35 times when it reached track 0. This was notorious for not only making things slow but throwing the head out of alignment and ruining disks.

The C64 was a cool computer but it just had so many terrible design decisions...

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

BadAstronaut posted:

What's the deal with casting time in 5e? Reduced? Instantaneous?

There isn't any really. Spells take an action to cast, some just take a bonus action. A few rare ones take multiple minutes, but they're for out of combat spells and rituals.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really am enjoying Arx Fatalis, especially by way of the Arx Libertatis mod. Would it be worth it to give the original Ultima Underworld games a spin? I have them in my GOG account but when I tried to play the first one the control scheme seemed super complex.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

chaosapiant posted:

I really am enjoying Arx Fatalis, especially by way of the Arx Libertatis mod. Would it be worth it to give the original Ultima Underworld games a spin? I have them in my GOG account but when I tried to play the first one the control scheme seemed super complex.
I consider UW2 the best RPG ever made so I'd say hell yes.

Play them both though. Start with UW1. The controls are actually super intuitive* once you get used to them.

*aside from the jumping/platforming sections.

PS: You might also want to have .pdf's of the official hint books on-hand to use as companion guides in certain spots. Some puzzles/spells/languages are pretty abstruse.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 13, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I always send the PDF goodies for these older games to my OneDrive and keep and iPad open under my monitor for browsing maps/hints/strategies; etc. and this forum. iPads are a handy tool for having digital documentation open next to you.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Largepotato posted:

You were supposed to use hackmaster or something like a l33t kid.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If I remember correctly Ultima 6 on the Amiga required you to effectively install the game from the original disks onto blank disks even before you could play, which was fun if you only had one disk drive.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Just copying the master disks wouldn't work with Wasteland because all 4 master disks were different to 4 play disks, so you had to use the included program.

We had Fast Hack'em too.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
There were fast loader programs and hardware modifications on the C64 that changed the diskette loading times from reaaaly long to near instantaneous.

To this very day I have no idea how that magic was possible. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Basically the C64 disk drive had its own CPU on which you could load your own loading routines, so it was mostly a matter of figuring out how to write faster ones (although that added speed could come at the expense of the disks and/or hardware). That's also how copy protection worked, by creating loading routines that were bullshit in some unexpected way that made them incompatible with what disc copiers would usually look at.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

chaosapiant posted:

I'd recommend using DOSBox's keymapper. Swap S and X and you have a passable WASD setup. Even the jumping sections don't require much twitch skills.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Any thoughts on SanctuaryRPG?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

It's a step above a clicker game, barely.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

prometheusbound2 posted:

I like the deliberately goofy-weird tone of the game, the inability to hoard gear, and how you can chain together strings of attacks/reposition yourself/grapple with enemies/deal with different status effects in combat despite it being a 100% ASCII graphics game.
Deliberately trying to fail the "murder the barmaid" quest and it still happening was lmao.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Cripes, another thread I haven't kept up with since the start of the year. :sigh:

So while on break at work, I spent my time looking back at blog like the CRPG Addict and Pix's Origin Adventures. That in turn got me re-reading HG101's article series on Ultima, and now I"m considering trying to play through some of the Ultima games.

My thought was to try going through 4-7. With 4 and 7, I thought the best option would be to use the xu4 and Exult source ports to make things easier.

Based on what I read umpteen pages back, though, it sounds like Ultima 7 is a chore because of the combat. I originally meant to drop in and ask if Ultima 8 was worth playing since, it and a bunch of other games are on sale on GOG right now.

I'll also ask about the Ultima Underworld games as well. I dunno if there's a source port for either of those. I remember from Spoony's Ultima retrospective that Ultima Underworld 2 had you really under-powered in the beginning.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The best/worst thing about Ultima VII's awful combat is that it actually is awful and easy. Most of the time, your party members suddenly run offscreen and a few seconds later victory music plays as they come rushing back. O.K., at the beginning of the game when it is just your character and a like crippled servant boy combats do not tend to auto-resolve like that, but by the time you have a full party only the toughest combats in the game even really exist.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ultima VII is the best game ever that I have zero inclination to ever subject myself to again and it's mostly because of the combat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This might not be quite old school, but I just saw a video that referred to Dragon Age: Origins as being mostly known as "that slightly worse [Elder Scrolls] Oblivion clone."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

The best/worst thing about Ultima VII's awful combat is that it actually is awful and easy. Most of the time, your party members suddenly run offscreen and a few seconds later victory music plays as they come rushing back. O.K., at the beginning of the game when it is just your character and a like crippled servant boy combats do not tend to auto-resolve like that, but by the time you have a full party only the toughest combats in the game even really exist.
If they're actually hard you can probably use your absurdly strong magic sword form the expansion content to instantly kill it anyway

If THAT doesn't work just give everybody Triple Crossbows and enchanted bolts, and make god drat sure you're not in the line of fire

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ultima 4 - 6 are the good ones imo. Still need to play Underworld

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Someone was once poking at Exult's code to modify U7 to have turn based combat but they never got very far with it. It might get kinda tedious, but TB would at least give it something in the game's combat shaped hole. A U7 to U6's engine demake is an amusing idea.

I know nothing about scraping old game content but it would seem almost more doable to just pull the U7 content into a turn based capable engine. I have plenty of old projects that could do everything you'd need a turn based U7 to do, but oh man just pondering how much of a giant sprawling game U7 is.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Honestly I actually really love U7 in spite of the truly awful combat system. The massive seamless explorable world, the NPC schedules, all the wild things you’ve read about over the years. U7 feels like one of those really rare games that shot so high and ended up sticking most of it. I can close my eyes and still conjure up scenes and songs from that game 20+ years later. It’s pretty great.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I could never get into Ultima 7. I think it was the combination of bad combat, bad inventory management (my backpack inevitably turned into a huge mess where finding a specific item was virtually impossible without painstakingly dragging each piece of gear around), bad font and insufferable ye olde spelling that prevented me from ever progressing past Britannia.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Ultima 7 was amazing, back in the day. So many colors, so much dialog, so much detail! I rode a bus for an hour and twenty minutes to pick up a copy at Egghead Software. But man, it has not aged well, and is way too frustrating to try and play nowadays.

Ultima 8 never was worth playing.

It's too bad they never rounded out the Guardian trilogy with an Ultima 9. I was looking forward to seeing it all resolved.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skwirl posted:

This might not be quite old school, but I just saw a video that referred to Dragon Age: Origins as being mostly known as "that slightly worse [Elder Scrolls] Oblivion clone."

Every part of that comparison is bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Skwirl posted:

:psyduck:

YouTube gaming criticism can be *so bad*, it boggles the mind.