Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He must be from Fire Emblem Fates

Intimidating but Ash's fire cat would kill this bug steel jerk in one shot if types mattered at all in this show

Its Bug/Water, not steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vinylshadow posted:

Sure would suck if Golisopod knew Liquidation or something

Oh wait

I don't know what that is, he never used it in the game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zore posted:

Its Bug/Water, not steel.

Oh... what the gently caress was I one shotting it with? I thought I remembered just obliterating it with a lower level fire poison lizard

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oh... what the gently caress was I one shotting it with? I thought I remembered just obliterating it with a lower level fire poison lizard

Having something resistant to its signature move that can do at least half of its health in a hit will be not all that different from a one shot. Maybe you're thinking of that?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well now that I know Fire cat is weak against water bug it should definitely beat it

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The anime has consistently shown that type match ups don't matter as much as telling a great story so Torracat is definitely going to beat Golisopod despite a difficult struggle.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I had Throat Chop on my Ultra Moon team's Bisharp and that move is metal as gently caress :black101:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We already know how Ash beats Guzma from episode titles and spoiler descriptions: Torracat does enough damage to Golisopod that it uses Emergency Exit and Scizor is sent out, who was not expecting to battle in the slightest and Guzma gets mad at how Golisopod does whatever it wants.

And then in the finals we have Ash vs Gladion, someone with a full team, his own Lycanroc and is someone Ash has yet to beat. Hmm... if there wasn't the exhibition match with Masked Royal for winning the tournament, I would've believe for a second Ash would win. But gotta have Torracat evolve somehow. Also Meltan is calling other Meltan, so Gladion will lose to sudden Melmetal, methinks. Hmm, suddenly evolving Steel type that gets completely healed and comes back from an expected loss...

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
If only Ash had an electric type he could use against the water bug

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I remember steamrolling through USM with Lycanroc because half of the Totem Pokemon get obliterated by Rock and Fighting

Torracat eats Lurantic, and Mimikyu devours Kommo-o (just use Disguise to bait out the Fairy Berry, then Snuggle it to oblivion)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Good idea for a new Bug/Ghost Pokémon:

https://twitter.com/minouye271/status/1160908705535184897

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/guardianeco/status/894152810073391104

https://twitter.com/newscientist/status/627076575788445696

This would work better with Durant

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 13, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I don't know what that is, he never used it in the game

A lot of anime movesets work differently than their game counterparts

Double Team being used to completely evade a move rather than just raising Evasion, or Water Veil blocking Electric attacks and healing Statuses

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are people in Pokemon games aware of levels? Cause, no mr rival, it wasn't the power of love and trust that beat you, I had bigger numbers.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
If your rival loved their pokemon more they would have had bigger numbers

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Make a Pokemon based on those Buddha statues you find at the side of the road in Japan, think Tanuki Mario but pokemonier. Bam, instant Rock-Ghost.

Hire me Game Freak.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Pentaro posted:

think Tanuki Mario but pokemonier.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

so that's what happened to the Bulbasaur that was left behind...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I remember Griffin Mcelroy getting screwed over by a rival ambush in his XY Nuzlocke

The bridge gauntlet, because Pokémon games are not designed for nuzlocke runs. They even heal your team between fights during that event.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Schubalts posted:

The bridge gauntlet, because Pokémon games are not designed for nuzlocke runs. They even heal your team between fights during that event.

As long as you don't use pokemon that were fainted, you should be fine

Or let yourself take a few hits to make it fair to your rivals

As long as Exp Share is off and you don't use Amie, you're usually not hilariously overleveled for everything...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

It then spends most of the match grabbing her and Poison Jabbing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It then spends most of the match grabbing her and Poison Jabbing.

As it should. It's sad we already know how these match ups are going to turn out. It would've been interesting if Kukui and Guzma had a throw down.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ash is going to lose on numbers. He doesn’t have a full team to face Gladion with.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vandar posted:

Ash is going to lose on numbers. He doesn’t have a full team to face Gladion with.

... Ash has more Pokemon than Gladion though?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Gladion has Umbreon, Lycanroc-Dusk, Zoroark and Silvally, Ash has Pikachu, Rowlet, Torracat, Lycanroc-Dusk and Meltan.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Crosspeice posted:

Gladion has Umbreon, Lycanroc-Dusk

-Midnight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crosspeice posted:

Gladion has Umbreon, Lycanroc-Dusk, Zoroark and Silvally, Ash has Pikachu, Rowlet, Torracat, Lycanroc-Dusk and Meltan.

And about 50 other pokemon chillin he could get at any time but he's not gonna

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Theyre gonna call in Solgaleo and Lunala to fill out their teams.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If Ash beats Gladion is considered the champion or does he need to beat the Masked Royal too?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Electric Phantasm posted:

If Ash beats Gladion is considered the champion or does he need to beat the Masked Royal too?

The winner of the Manalo Conference faces off against the Masked Royal in an exhibition match.

...Which will probably mean that if Ash wins said tournament, he'll get his clock cleaned by him in that match.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://pokemondb.net/type/unused

Ignoring Normal/X combos, there are 19 type combos that have never been used in Pokemon still including some that seem like no brainers to develop like Rock/Ghost (tombstone?) or Electric/Fighting. Then there's three combos only used by Megas and nine more limited to only Legendaries including the rare and powerful Mono Flying

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

The winner of the Manalo Conference faces off against the Masked Royal in an exhibition match.

...Which will probably mean that if Ash wins said tournament, he'll get his clock cleaned by him in that match.

That's a safe way for the writers to try and have it both ways. If I was actually invested at this point I'm sure I'd be getting the vapors.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Xelkelvos posted:

https://pokemondb.net/type/unused

Ignoring Normal/X combos, there are 19 type combos that have never been used in Pokemon still including some that seem like no brainers to develop like Rock/Ghost (tombstone?) or Electric/Fighting. Then there's three combos only used by Megas and nine more limited to only Legendaries including the rare and powerful Mono Flying

Why are we ignoring Normal/X? Those are valid combos too

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

Which will fulfill the dual purpose of kicking Ash out of the region for Galar and showing off Incineroar, as the anime feels determined to do.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I sincerely don't think Ash's Torracat will evolve. The anime adores different stages of pokemon fighting and proving evolution isn't everything. Though I guess it would be kinda fitting to have them in be on the same level after their first match was Incineroar's win and the second one was Torracat's due to travelling back in time to when Incineroar was a weak Litten.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

the second one was Torracat's due to travelling back in time to when Incineroar was a weak Litten.
sorry, what?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
In the 1,064th episode Ash and his Torracat traveled back in time to when Kukui's Incineroar was still a Litten.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zore posted:

Why are we ignoring Normal/X? Those are valid combos too

Cause they're boring and more often than not strictly detrimental to a mono-type

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They do add Ghost immunity and Normal STAB. And I disagree that they're boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Was hoping the swish doggos would be part normal but it certainly seems like they're steel :negative: