Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Johnny is pretty much a a foil to Johnathan in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny and Johnathan as Goofus and Gallant.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

at most johnny registers as a twunk. he's not physically impressive to a level you see with earlier jojos. he probably sits between twink and twunk on the scale. basically every depiction has him being one of the slimmer jojos in general.

Makes sense. Even before being crippled, he was a horse rider so being slim would be better there to have less weight on the horse. Gyro comments early on though that he has a lot of upper body strength.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh yeah, jockeys are uniformly small, lots of modern day professional jockeys are like, sub-5'0.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Johnny at the beginning was interesting to me because his basic concept IS being a different take on Jonathan, but he also has some talented/gifted kid baggage that he's going to have to toss as the story goes on. Johnny has been a genius at one thing since he was 5, and was shaped and molded to be that one thing for the rest of his life. His entire identity, and the reason people like him, and the reason he gets all these nice handouts, and the reason he has all these powerful connections, is because of this one thing. And yeah, you'd get cocky over that too if you were a teenager. It happens with smart kids or prodigies, and it especially happens with athletes. And cutting in line and his attitude was really lovely, yeah, but it didn't warrant getting shot in the spine.

Imagine having this one identity, this idea of you, formed from the outside before you had the chance to make your own, and then it's tossed away like garbage. No one likes a has been, and celebrity culture kind of thrives off of seeing powerful people fall. Johnny may as well have been taken out back and shot like an actual racehorse with a broken leg. Everything that you've built up for yourself, all the knowledge that you've gained from this talent you have is now worth less than nothing. No wonder he's so desperate for his legs to work again. And no wonder he calls this a story of adolescence to adulthood. Johnny's nineteen and never got a proper adolescence, in the "forming your own identity" sense."

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRaNR9Vk2c&t=31s

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Something else about his crippling incident stands out to me; he needed some prodding from his date to act up in the first place. Not that he needed further coaching on being a jerk once he'd been cajoled into skipping the line, but even then he's kind of non-confrontational about it all, hoping the guy will either leave him alone or that security will deal with it. By the time it finally looks like he's willing to get his own hands dirty, he's already been shot. Johnny's just really seemed to kind of take a passive role in life (despite his obvious talent in jockeying; pampered or no, that Derby win's no mean feat) until he meets Gyro. Another roundabout reinforcement of him "forming his own identity".

Also to go with my earlier observance of part of Gyro's design elements, I realize that Johnny wore a beanie in his flashback and currently wears a weird cap and this is all somehow an excuse to have a Hol Horse and Mista team-up adventure in spirit.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Mountain Tim is a cowboy, so he has short range abilities.

I thought they said he shouldnt have had good short range abilities? Like he knows how to ride a horse through thousands of km of rough terrain but he shouldnt have been a threat in the first part of the race which was a sprint, yet he placed high anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meme Emulator posted:

I thought they said he shouldnt have had good short range abilities? Like he knows how to ride a horse through thousands of km of rough terrain but he shouldnt have been a threat in the first part of the race which was a sprint, yet he placed high anyway.

I misread, yes.

It's still incredibly funny to talk about the abilities of a cowboy like it's a character class.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mountain tim is so loving cool

his name is MOUNTAIN TIM

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Patware posted:

mountain tim is so loving cool

his name is MOUNTAIN TIM

yeah

:allears:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the horse bowing thing is so dumb and good. even benjamin boom boom's horse does it when mountain tim approaches

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Boom Booms should've been called the Dungeon Family.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I forgot our first Stand battle was this early in the series. So much of Jojo at this stage has been fights between Stand users, it's cool how in this part Araki has our protagonists being just normal guys against dudes with superpowers. Well there's is the SPIN.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Expect My Mom posted:

the horse bowing thing is so dumb and good. even benjamin boom boom's horse does it when mountain tim approaches

It rules

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Okay, Volume 2 and I love how Pocoloco is like if you made a FalloutNV character and put all of his points into luck. Incredible.

And lol at that German baron who ran out of gas at the start.

EDIT: Okay so I completely forgot that Johnny tries to assess Pocoloco and does the JoJo thing where he's like, "Wow, this strategy is incredible, he must be a tactical genius" and I am losing my mind.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 14, 2019

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

BaDandy posted:

Okay, Volume 2 and I love how Pocoloco is like if you made a FalloutNV character and put all of his points into luck. Incredible.

And lol at that German baron who ran out of gas at the start.

EDIT: Okay so I completely forgot that Johnny tries to assess Pocoloco and does the JoJo thing where he's like, "Wow, this strategy is incredible, he must be a tactical genius" and I am losing my mind.

“Oh so he’s letting the horse to take control, wait no he hit a branch what a loser” is a great part. Johnny is such a dick

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

BaDandy posted:

One aspect I particularly like is that his success in the race is not exclusively due to his Gladstone Gander stand. It's clear that he is very good with horses, and his luck only gets him as far as it does because he's willing to take huge risks; in fact, his Stand is specifically capable of speech so that it can talk him into being confident. Quite an interesting way to write that sort of character.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
You will definitely love this next fact because, this is in extra material, but Pocoloco's Stand isn't the thing making him lucky. The only thing that his Stand is doing is boosting his self-confidence. That's it. His Stand has the power to give him the confidence to take those big risks. :3:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was about to make fun of Pocoloco for having a Stand that's a glorified hype man, but then I thought about how much less anxiety I would have had in high school if my subconscious was rooting for me instead of self-sabotage. You go Pocoloco. Your superpower is believing in yourself, which is, like 80% of what you need in a Shonen Jump series.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

BaDandy posted:

You will definitely love this next fact because, this is in extra material, but Pocoloco's Stand isn't the thing making him lucky. The only thing that his Stand is doing is boosting his self-confidence. That's it. His Stand has the power to give him the confidence to take those big risks. :3:

awww what a buddy :3:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im confused how poco has a stand tho, i dont think its mentioned that he went to the mountain where the meteor fell thus far

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Lucky enough to be one of the 0.00001% who spontaneously develop a Stand I figure.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
His hobby is italian cooking and got his stand from being good at it.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

well its just been established through the dialogue that all of the stand users thus far have been in that mountain range specifically so i was wondering what was up with him

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stands have pretty much always been a thing that people can spontaneously develop based on varying circumstances or whatever the hell. there's things that CAN jumpstart stand development for sure, but it's definitely not required.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

at the bottom of the jojo list of rules is 'unique exceptions can happen at any time for any rule without any explanation' but it happens consistently enough that it's not a plot hole, but a plot feature

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, The Devil's Palm is pretty much like the meteor that the stand arrows were forged from, just a quick means to get a stand. People like Avdol, Kakyoin, and Tonio just naturally developed their stands and Pocoloco is no different.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I do like that in JoJo there isn't really a difference between developing a stand through induced means or naturally.

Induced means sometimes have a death risk and if you develop your own stand naturally you might do it young enough to have more time to learn your powers and how to use them, but one kind is not stronger or weaker than the other

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Pocoloco’s stand rules. We should all be so lucky to have someone gassing us up all the time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pocoloco got his fortune told by Enya, she probably shanked him with an arrow while he wasn't looking.

Also, because this is never said in-story, Pocoloco's Stand is called Hey Ya (like his horse.) The fandom spent years calling it Buckethead.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

Pocoloco’s stand rules. We should all be so lucky to have someone gassing us up all the time.

indeed, i think its the stand i'd want most of any ive seen throughout the series so far

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Pocoloco got his fortune told by Enya, she probably shanked him with an arrow while he wasn't looking.

Also, because this is never said in-story, Pocoloco's Stand is called Hey Ya (like his horse.) The fandom spent years calling it Buckethead.

what? that doesnt sound right

i mean the current fight is with L.A. (big boi) and andre (andre 3000) and benjamin (also andre 3000)

literally they're fighting Outkast, who's biggest song is Hey Ya

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the stand is definitely called hey ya. i think araki just really liked outkast at the time. for reference there's currently two jojo protags whose stands are named after prince songs, in parts 5 and 8 respectively. araki just likes certain musicians to various degrees for whatever reasons.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

the stand is definitely called hey ya. i think araki just really liked outkast at the time. for reference there's currently two jojo protags whose stands are named after prince songs, in parts 5 and 8 respectively. araki just likes certain musicians to various degrees for whatever reasons.

araki!!! :argh:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zyla posted:

what? that doesnt sound right

i mean the current fight is with L.A. (big boi) and andre (andre 3000) and benjamin (also andre 3000)

literally they're fighting Outkast, who's biggest song is Hey Ya

Also because quite a few Steel Ball Run Stands are never named in-story, the Boom Boom's Stand is called Tomb of the Boom.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Also because quite a few Steel Ball Run Stands are never named in-story, the Boom Boom's Stand is called Tomb of the Boom.

booms over baghdad!! heh

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, early part 7, Araki must have just been on a total Outkast kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Can’t blame him