Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah I should have specified that most of my house doesn't have grounds because of it's age so I am flush with GFCI outlets and they are the norm for me.

However, swapping out the double pole breaker for a single pole and actually having a grounded outlet available seems like an obviously better move.

I could also put in a second single-pole breaker and use it somewhere else in the house (I'm looking at you, entire kitchen on a 15a fuse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I took a cross-country flight yesterday and the lights for my seat and my neighbor's seat were cross-wired. That is, the button for my light controlled his light and vice versa. The lights would also turn off randomly, and when you pressed the button to turn them back on, you'd have maybe a 50% chance of it actually working. Once I pressed the button, the light didn't turn on, and I gave up. A good 30 seconds later, the light "spontaneously" turned on.

I tried not to think about what was going on that could explain these behaviors. :ohdear:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I took a cross-country flight yesterday and the lights for my seat and my neighbor's seat were cross-wired. That is, the button for my light controlled his light and vice versa. The lights would also turn off randomly, and when you pressed the button to turn them back on, you'd have maybe a 50% chance of it actually working. Once I pressed the button, the light didn't turn on, and I gave up. A good 30 seconds later, the light "spontaneously" turned on.

I tried not to think about what was going on that could explain these behaviors. :ohdear:

What kind of plane? It's all on some flavor of addressed bus and runs back to a central lighting controller. If the buttons module gets swapped out, it's possible the controller didn't get the new addressing correct. What I've seen happen is the new light module is addressed so both buttons control both lights, and it's just random race condition stuff as to whether either or both works.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Blackbeer posted:

a 30a breaker will close on a hard short just fine.

Open! :science:

(I know you know and meant that, but for the purpose of novices playing along at home: breakers open to interrupt current flow.)

For the person who swapped a 5-15r onto a 20a circuit, isn't there a requirement that the first outlet on a branch be 5-20r and only downstream chained ones can be 5-15r or am I sleep deprived?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

What kind of plane? It's all on some flavor of addressed bus and runs back to a central lighting controller. If the buttons module gets swapped out, it's possible the controller didn't get the new addressing correct. What I've seen happen is the new light module is addressed so both buttons control both lights, and it's just random race condition stuff as to whether either or both works.

It was a Boeing 767-300, specifically operated by American Airlines.

The "my button controls your lights and vice versa" bit wasn't particularly worrying; it's easy to imagine how that could happen. The "button might or might not work, light randomly turns off, sometimes button works on an extreme delay" bit is more concerning.

Though it does remind me of a story about a keycard-operated door that gave similar problems -- you'd swipe your badge, and nothing would happen, so you'd swipe again and again and eventually the door would unlock. One night one of the devs stayed late and could hear the door spontaneously unlocking. They dug through the system and discovered that every single badge swipe was logged to a file that wasn't ever stored and wiped. So every single badge swipe caused the software to open up this multi-gigabyte file, scan to the end, append a line, then unlock the door. Wipe the file and suddenly the doors work!

I guess one possible explanation here is that the light addressing was completely FUBAR. My light was getting turned off because someone else was fiddling with their light controls, and when I pushed my button and nothing happened, I was probably screwing up someone else's lights. The "push button, nothing happens, 30 seconds later light comes on" behavior could've just been someone else managing to turn my light on.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

H110Hawk posted:

Open! :science:

(I know you know and meant that, but for the purpose of novices playing along at home: breakers open to interrupt current flow.)

For the person who swapped a 5-15r onto a 20a circuit, isn't there a requirement that the first outlet on a branch be 5-20r and only downstream chained ones can be 5-15r or am I sleep deprived?

oh gently caress, yes thank you

and no re: first outlet, all 15s is fine

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 11, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Open and closed for circuits and switches has never sunk in for me. I have to think hard every time.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Jaded Burnout posted:

Open and closed for circuits and switches has never sunk in for me. I have to think hard every time.

Another victim of the water-analogy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

Quite possibly! Using a water analogy for electricity is about 90% of my ability to understand circuits.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jaded Burnout posted:

Quite possibly! Using a water analogy for electricity is about 90% of my ability to understand circuits.

I got into this with a guy who only had the water analogy to describe electricity, and AC stuff is basically impossible. DC is ok-ish, but when doing semiconductors it gets pretty tortured as a metaphor.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

RabbitWizard posted:

I never heard of this and just looked it up and yikes is that a fun way to make things more confusing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I got into this with a guy who only had the water analogy to describe electricity, and AC stuff is basically impossible. DC is ok-ish, but when doing semiconductors it gets pretty tortured as a metaphor.

I've got a good intuitive understanding of water flow, pressures, and gradients, so it works well for me and only takes a little bit of suspension of disbelief to extend it to things like AC, but there's definitely a limit to its usefulness.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've got a good intuitive understanding of water flow, pressures, and gradients, so it works well for me and only takes a little bit of suspension of disbelief to extend it to things like AC, but there's definitely a limit to its usefulness.

Nothing wrong with using an analog model to extend your intuition! Just be aware of the limits.

Scientists simulate a black hole in a water tank

We can only give the water model so much poo poo -- after all, circuit schematics/terminology were all based on the assumption that "holes" are flowing from positive to negative :facepalm:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SpartanIvy posted:

However, swapping out the double pole breaker for a single pole and actually having a grounded outlet available seems like an obviously better move.

Code doesn't allow you to use anything except a bare wire or a green (or green+yellow) conductor for ground. Not saying you can't do it (if you do this, make sure you relabel that wire with green tape at both ends), but it may be an issue down the road if/when you sell if an inspector opens it up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

STR posted:

Code doesn't allow you to use anything except a bare wire or a green (or green+yellow) conductor for ground. Not saying you can't do it (if you do this, make sure you relabel that wire with green tape at both ends), but it may be an issue down the road if/when you sell if an inspector opens it up.

Guess what kind of wire the 6-30 plug is using for neutral! (Bare copper in a Romex 12-2)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Just wanted to take an opinion "pole":

Single-gang outlets - vertical or horizontal?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vertical unless the space doesn't reasonably allow for it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Definitely vertical. Or just all double gangs.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The real question is ground on top or bottom

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Quite a few pages ago I asked a bunch of questions about wiring AliExpress LED strips up in my house. All the components FINALLY arrived, although one is broken, and it got me thinking about whether it's necessary.

I've got a few of these LED strips (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32261760142.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.48864c4dsijrSw)
I've got this power supply (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911389359.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.48864c4dYxudub)

The power supply has a toggle for 110v or 220v. I set it to 110v because I'm in the US. I plug the power supply directly into a normal wall outlet. I then hook the LED strip directly to the power supply. That's the way it's set up now.

Initially I had also ordered an adapter that sat between the power supply and my outlet that was supposed to convert my 110v outlet to 220v, and then have the PSU set on 220v. That adapter arrived broken though.

The question I have is whether my current setup -- LED to 110V PSU to outlet -- will work, or if I have to switch it -- to LED to 220v PSU to 110/220 adapter to outlet. (And if it's the latter, where to find one, since I still haven't found something that I'm confident does exactly that).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the power supply runs on 110VAC, why would you want to involve 220V?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

Bottom or guillotine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

The real question is ground on top or wrong

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Ground obviously goes on bottom, that way if the plug shorts the electrons don't have to fight gravity.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

If the power supply runs on 110VAC, why would you want to involve 220V?

Want to? I don't. But I think the led strips are 220v (though that isn't explicitly clear on the product page)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Want to? I don't. But I think the led strips are 220v (though that isn't explicitly clear on the product page)

The 'Specifications' tab on the LED product page posted:

Voltage: 12V

The power supply product page posted:

Output DC 12V

So your power supply can convert either 110 or 220VAC to 12VDC. What you put in is up to you, so feel free to feed it 110VAC.

Certainly no need to convert 110VAC to 220VAC just to convert it down to 12VDC.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 14, 2019

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

So your power supply can convert either 110 or 220VAC to 12VDC. What you put in is up to you, so feel free to feed it 110VAC.

Certainly no need to convert 110VAC to 220VAC just to convert it down to 12VDC.

Oooh, that makes sense. So it will work as I've for it set up. Thanks!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Oooh, that makes sense. So it will work as I've for it set up. Thanks!

Yah so it's like this:

Wall -> (110 or 220V AC) -> Power supply -> (12V DC) -> LEDs

In fact the power supply probably accepts quite a wide range. Have a look at the text printed on any power supply you have for a laptop or whatever and you'll see they accept wide ranges of input voltage to allow them to work in different countries.

This is also why a lot of power bricks have figure 8 or kettle lead sockets on them, so a manufacturer can make one brick for the whole world and just ship country-specific figure 8 / kettle leads for a given region.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 14, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Bottom or guillotine.

:wrong:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The NEC is still silent on receptacle orientation isn't it?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

angryrobots posted:

It's less important than what oil you put in your lawnmower. The NEC is silent on things that trivial.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Receptacle orientation is just a social construct anyways

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hubis
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SpartanIvy posted:

Ground on top has an objective safety advantage in that if a conductive material happens to fall across a partially pulled out plug it'll most likely contact the ground first. Obviously this is a fairly implausible scenario for some outlets, but for others (especially those behind furniture) it's not too much of a stretch to imagine how it could happen.

Ground on bottom has an objective convenience advantage in that it's considered to be "normal" by a lot of device manufacturers, so a lot of wall warts and right angle plugs are designed to work best in this configuration. It also has a nearly universally agreed upon subjective advantage from a visual standpoint, probably because the fact that they look like faces tickles some deep part of our brains.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 15, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

Ground on top has an objective safety advantage in that if a conductive material happens to fall across a partially pulled out plug it'll most likely contact the ground first. Obviously this is a fairly implausible scenario for some outlets, but for others (especially those behind furniture) it's not too much of a stretch to imagine how it could happen.

Ground on bottom has an objective convenience advantage in that it's considered to be "normal" by a lot of device manufacturers, so a lot of wall warts and right angle plugs are designed to work best in this configuration. It also has a nearly universally agreed upon subjective advantage from a visual standpoint, probably because the fact that they look like faces tickles some deep part of our brains.

If there's no code or widely accepted standard saying one way or another, I'd say splitting between the two seems reasonable. Mount all the low wall outlets that are likely to end up behind things ground up and put the ones that are more visible ground down.

The terrible "electricians" who did my house randomly oriented my outlets. Some where ground up, some where ground down. Took care of that when I went around the house to replace all the outlets. (had multiple failed grounds due to them using ferrules to crimp the grounds together, but not using the right tool. And also 2 incidents of backstab failures causing a breaker pop.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

While I'm sure it varies by region, ground up used to mean "this is a switched outlet" around here.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ground down so water can flow out without shorting the outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wolrah posted:

UK sockets are all ground-up for I think this reason. The whole horizontal or vertical question never arises for single-gang sockets because they're square.