Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

what the hell kind of stupid facilities are you working in where the fire marshal / insurance decided you need to assign primary school hall monitors

Emergency volunteer "hall monitors" are a thing here too. But departmental volunteers only have to worry about their own departments.

It's just so that someone know's who was in or out of the office at the time of the emergency and if someone is missing that can get reported to rescue services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We had a fire drill before anybody told me what we're supposed to do. Apparently I went out the wrong door, despite it being the closest one. I also had no idea what the meeting point was. And all of us with offices are supposed to close the door behind us, to indicate that there's nobody in there. Never mind what happens if the door was already shut and you're passed out behind it!

Oh yeah and that first drill came right after somebody came around and told us there was going to be a test and to ignore the alarm. Good job.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
i dont know who the fire marshall is on my floor. i am a remote employee and come into the office every 2 to 4 weeks for human interaction (and to stock up on sparkling water/diet coke). if there is a fire alarm i am royally hosed.

I am the AED/CPR person on my floor before i became a virtual employee, hopefully people can wait until i come back to the office when theres an emergency

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CPColin posted:

And all of us with offices are supposed to close the door behind us, to indicate that there's nobody in there. Never mind what happens if the door was already shut and you're passed out behind it!

Is that the reason they gave? My understanding is that closing doors helps restrict the flow of air that the fire needs to grow.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We have those here too. They also get emergency response training.
Last job even had a rule that meant you couldn't work overtime alone. Atleast with a second person
Say if one of you had a heart attack or something. The other could respond on time instead of the 1st person to find you in the morning

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My old boss, Jon, quit back in April and kicked off this whole debacle. They finally hired someone for his spot (which is the engineering manager, a layer between the team leads and toxic boss) in the middle of July; his first contribution to one of our repos on github is dated July 16th.

He already quit :roflolmao:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is that the reason they gave? My understanding is that closing doors helps restrict the flow of air that the fire needs to grow.

That is indeed the reason they gave. I hope that if a real fire happens, they don't just take it as a given that offices with closed doors are empty!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well you generally want closed doors as it can help slow down fire/smoke spread.

The offices here have glass doors, and over the years people have tried to find some privacy by covering up their glass with posters and poo poo. Eventually safety boss guy comes through and demands they take it down so that in the event of a fire, rescue teams can find people easier.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

xzzy posted:

Well you generally want closed doors as it can help slow down fire/smoke spread.

The offices here have glass doors, and over the years people have tried to find some privacy by covering up their glass with posters and poo poo. Eventually safety boss guy comes through and demands they take it down so that in the event of a fire, rescue teams can find people easier.

but then how do you work with no pants on in your office?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Our glass doors/walls are frosted from about 18" up to about 18" from the top, so you can't really see anything just walking by normally. Seems like a good compromise that still lets someone glance in to see if a meeting room is in use without interrupting anything.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Low self esteem guy just told me I'm not allowed to use semicolons in UI strings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joda posted:

Low self esteem guy just told me I'm not allowed to use semicolons in UI strings.

Send back something snippy about the inputs being properly sanitized.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I think he just doesn't know that the semicolon has an actual grammatical function in English which is fair enough; it's not our primary language, but it'd be nice if he wasn't being such a massive smart-rear end.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Joda posted:

I think he just doesn't know that the semicolon has an actual grammatical function in English which is fair enough; it's not our primary language, but it'd be nice if he wasn't being such a massive smart-rear end.

"I used to use colons until I realized we could increase computing efficiency by switching to the relatively unknown semicolon"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Moving away from the colon also helped make the code less lovely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Moving away from the colon also helped make the code less lovely.

Just remember to flush the cache after execution is complete.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My old team lead during that discounts project with fuckface? He just resigned :roflolmao:

They're never going to pull out of this tailspin.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BaronVonVaderham posted:

They're never going to pull out of this tailspin.

At least you're about to jump out of the plane before it crashes. :)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It'll be nice to not see the word "fuckface" in every one of your posts. I am happy for you.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Kyrosiris posted:

At least you're about to jump out of the plane before it crashes. :)

My entire final two weeks here is going to be MichaelJacksonPopcorn.gif, this is entertaining :munch:

I'm talking to my old team lead and he actually took a job I had interviewed for and withdrew (wasn't on board with having to fly to Columbus, OH, just as frequently if not more so than I did for Nashville here). But the best part is he had the same exact idea I had and called up Eventbrite. He didn't get past the phone screening I got to fill him in on why.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My entire final two weeks here is going to be MichaelJacksonPopcorn.gif, this is entertaining :munch:

I'm talking to my old team lead and he actually took a job I had interviewed for and withdrew (wasn't on board with having to fly to Columbus, OH, just as frequently if not more so than I did for Nashville here). But the best part is he had the same exact idea I had and called up Eventbrite. He didn't get past the phone screening I got to fill him in on why.

Did you narc on him?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I just want to know how bad the glassdoor review is going to be! Do people still use that?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

Did you narc on him?

If you mean on fuckface, yes. Eventbrite was where he burned that bridge so hard they want nothing to do with anyone from this company again. My old team lead was like, "Yup, that would explain it, and cements my decision to leave." He's also not a fan of that guy or toxic boss.

I'd say I'm stirring the pot this week, but it's already stirring itself and people are coming to me unprompted to talk about poo poo. I've had a few people from QA message me to ask if the company I'm going to is hiring for QA by chance, I think that department is going to start its mass exodus next. I think we're going to have a riot by the end of the week about the PTO nonsense.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TheParadigm posted:

I just want to know how bad the glassdoor review is going to be! Do people still use that?

People do, but not a lot. There are a few here that are clearly from the first few to bail back in March and May: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Smile-Direct-Club-Reviews-E1043560.htm

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

If you mean on fuckface, yes. Eventbrite was where he burned that bridge so hard they want nothing to do with anyone from this company again. My old team lead was like, "Yup, that would explain it, and cements my decision to leave." He's also not a fan of that guy or toxic boss.

I'd say I'm stirring the pot this week, but it's already stirring itself and people are coming to me unprompted to talk about poo poo. I've had a few people from QA message me to ask if the company I'm going to is hiring for QA by chance, I think that department is going to start its mass exodus next. I think we're going to have a riot by the end of the week about the PTO nonsense.

The acquiring company probably wants that. It means they don't have to pay severance/unemployment. Late capitalism is bullshit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't really know why people expect to be able to predict things like storage costs when they have nothing in place for managing the lifecycle of their data and no idea of how much content they are going in ingest on a monthly basis, but those people seem to have decided to talk to me about it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off: one of my coworkers put in his notice a couple of weeks ago (it was a bit more than two weeks). He's moving away (back to his hometown), and was going to be making enough that his wife was gonna start worrying about a job once she got there. Today, it was announced that he won't be leaving, but that he'll still be moving, and getting full-time remote work. There's no way they didn't give him a giant raise with this, as well.

In the meantime, the rest of us are being told that we're moving our upcoming hardware upgrade window from 2:30pm on a Saturday to 4:00am on a Sunday, and our upcoming software upgrade window from 8:00pm on a Saturday (finishing up around midnight) to 11:00pm on a Saturday (finishing up around 3:00am). The latter wouldn't be that big of a deal if we didn't also have to be up at 7am on Sunday, after which I need to babysit a bunch of tasks off and on until 8:00pm the next day, and again expected to be at work at 7:00-7:30am on Monday, all in order to mitigate customer impact. Of course, the guy who just got the big raise doesn't work on those systems; his job is strictly internal-facing, which is also probably why they made a counter-offer (which they pretty much never do), because he works directly with the board and c-levels, and they like him, while the rest of us are sitting on 2% annual raises.

On top of all this, about two-and-a-half months ago, I made it clear that it couldn't always be my schedule that has to give when it comes to scheduling meetings (pretty much always me coming in early, meaning I miss sleep, rather than others staying late, meaning... they have a longer drive home, I guess?), given that I'd been told two causes of my high blood pressure were likely "lack of sleep" and "stress." So far, that has resulted in one meeting being rescheduled... and the above.

I really like my team, I generally like my immediate bosses, and I like the work I do; it's interesting, and a lot of different stuff from day to day, but senior management loving sucks. And to be clear, I am not in the least mad at the guy getting the raise; we're good friends, he's taking what he can get, and more loving power to him. But the rest of the context of it is bullshit, and I think I want to bail on this place before I start to hate it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BaronVonVaderham posted:

People do, but not a lot. There are a few here that are clearly from the first few to bail back in March and May: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Smile-Direct-Club-Reviews-E1043560.htm

Glassdoor has become Target #1 for HR departments and shady companies to astroturf with fake reviews to pump their numbers up. Some are especially brazen about it. Ask me how I know...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Glassdoor has become Target #1 for HR departments and shady companies to astroturf with fake reviews to pump their numbers up. Some are especially brazen about it. Ask me how I know...

Clearly, things so greatly improved in Q1 of 2019 that everyone immediately noticed!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AlternateAccount posted:

My boss at $AWFUL_JOB asked us to go online to forums and sign up for accounts with our customer's names and post good things about our company. I guess he came across a few clients posting (100% true) nasty things about us and he wanted to astroturf the form posts.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're going to gently caress your health if you don't push back on this. Especially if your doctor has identified a problem and a likely cause.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

You're going to gently caress your health if you don't push back on this. Especially if your doctor has identified a problem and a likely cause.
I intend to, this has so far only been "sneak previewed" to us, I'm going to wait until the final word before writing up a response.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

AlternateAccount posted:

Unsurprisngly, HR at my last company continues to prove that it can't do anything right, including astroturfing.

Edit: the score fell right when I left, maybe my departure had that big an impact! (Not really.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 15, 2019

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Lol they're still moving forward with this "hackathon" crap next week (it's now on a Thursday and Friday instead of the weekend).

Mysteriously, after myself and others quit and voiced how we felt excluded as remotes, they're suddenly making these kits for remotes who obviously can't be downtown for the event and asking for addresses to mail them to.

On the one hand, that's adorable and credit where it's due for trying to be inclusive. On the other, just :roflolmao:

EDIT: And now there's a pizza party tomorrow.......

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 15, 2019

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

The only thing I'm opening at midnight is another bottle. If work wants to send me one, good on them!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I loving hate pizza parties even if I'm hungry. It's such a slap in the face. I'm a grown up, I can just go buy a pizza whenever I want.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll eat lunch in the office if the company is ordering in, but I'll also leave the office for an hour to have my lunch break when I'm done

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will always accept free food, just not as a substitute for a good work environment and decent pay.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It was nice when I was there last, we had catered lunch every day. I do the same thing where that isn't a substitute for a break, I'm not eating at my desk and working through lunch. I think because there are half as many mouths to feed now they did it twice as often as they used to.

But the nice part is it meant since I just got a coffee in the morning, I could blow my entire per diem on an epic dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This made me chuckle at work today, thought you guys would get a kick out of it too.

We have shelves above where our interns sit.
Above this intern was a box of serial serial cables. I go over there and ask him to pass me the box of serial cables. He hands me the box of fruit loops he was snacking on.