Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Holding LS and pushing up on the d-pad targets nearest hostile, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The mouse control being not-Freelancer (read: bad) wasn't a big surprise. I expected at least Elite's handling of it, since that worked really well and wasn't complicated.

The other complaints make me a little worried, since I'm cool playing on a gamepad but if it sucks outside of using Travis' preferred autofollow stuff then that ain't great. Hopefully this will all be meaningless conjecture and I go home to a game that plays just fine.

Ash1138 posted:

my other gripe is that the enemies got noticeably tougher when i bought an afterburner to the point that two of the lowest level lasers were flat out useless and i died a whole lot to even "average" level enemies.

Did they recycle the enemies-scale-with-your-gear thing from the first game? That's disappointing, though going in with that knowledge will at least let you exploit it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Just Chamber posted:

Not really enjoying it out of the gate so far. The pc and mouse controls are pretty awful and even the gamepad controls are lackluster as they seem to lack certain things the keyboard and mouse has like targeting the nearest enemy etc, targeting an enemy and getting feedback you're hitting is pretty poor in the sense that i see there's a white box around them but often they're so far away I can't even see what i'm shooting, also is it me or is there like no feeling of movement in combat? As in it feels like in combat you're stationary and the enemies are just flying by you even if you have the throttle to the max. Maybe because there is often nothing stationary nearby you to give you a feeling of acceleration to and from things. In that respect I can see why RPS called it an on rails shooter, it does feel like you're just controlling a turret.

You start in a literal garbage truck. This is because in the 90s it was accepted practice to make the first several hours terrible so the rest of the game would seem real good by comparison. And this game is very much doing the 90s throwback thing. A later innovation was giving you the fun end-game equipment for the first level and taking it all away during a cutscene, and more recently some brave souls heave discovered how to make a game good all the way through.

do nothing but the story until you get Richter as a call-in helper because having someone else to soak some enemy fire makes things much easier.

(but seriously if you aren't having fun cheatengine 100k credits to buy the sandhawk first-level combat ship. I very nearly lost patience with the pace of grinding money but then I found a pair of lucrative merch guild missions to source pure water, and had seen that colodaro has a planet that produces water. )

Just Chamber posted:

I haven't played in a couple of hours but the fact that on keyboard and mouse if you want to divert power to engines etc you have to bring up the radial menu then press W or something similar, time doesnt slow down or anything like that so during combat it's a pain in the rear end, that's pretty bad.

there are keybinds for changing power on the fly, they're called "inflight boost x power". you could put them on like IJKL and it would probably work.

but look for the keybind for "dump power to shields" and assign that to something handy, it's much more useful in a fight than trying to manage power on the fly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mailer posted:

Did they recycle the enemies-scale-with-your-gear thing from the first game? That's disappointing, though going in with that knowledge will at least let you exploit it.

RG1 mechanics: the enemies & NPCs that "live" in the sector did not scale with gear. Mission enemies were tied to mission level, and the missions scaled to your gear level with a fairly wide +/-. So picking a extreme difficulty mission was supposed to be very hard whether you had level 1 gear or level 6 gear. The enemies were harder and the pay was higher, standard video game stuff. (At the high level they ran out of headroom and the endgame was a cakewalk.)

The giant "gotcha" of RG1 was that the gear score was a max, not an average. Buying a level 4 shield with level 2 guns was a bad move. RGO is almost certainly re-using some of these systems because aside from the gotcha it wasn't terrible.

So if you buy a new piece of gear and suddenly it feels like every enemy in the whole game is tougher, you're just running into bad luck. Even with the sector enemies that don't scale there's a range. If you hear "bounty detected" that's gonna be a harder one.

The interaction of those two systems is occasionally chaotic. You could be doing an easy mission but get jumped by high-level sector enemies and get hosed up. You could do a difficult mission and randomly get helped by cops or traders. Already in RGO I've done a blockade-run mission that was super-easy because the police helped out.

The other thing to know is that when the sector difficulty says "extreme" it might mean mid-game enemies that you can take if you're careful and good, or it might mean end-game enemies. Extreme covers everything 2 or more levels higher than you.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
had a pretty rollicking fun time blasting things with the tracer and mass driver in my shitbox scow last night, but I might just cheat in some extra cash. I feel like I'm getting pretty close to that sandhawk of my dreams thoguh

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Well I couldn't stop playing yesterday and had to set the game down to go to bed way too late, so that's a good sign.

Without a great radar I find myself using the autopursuit all the time, so that's a convenient feature. Everything is pretty dangerous right now, I followed the story missions for a while but I think I'm going to head back to Texas to find a lucrative trade route. It's nice to feel like trading is actually an easier, fun way to make money, even if it's just for saving up to a better combat ship. While doing combat missions with the starting ship on Veteran is more frustrating than fun.

Setting up a joystick is a bit of a pain if you don't want to use the preset configuration (props to them for providing presets for a wide variety of joysticks though!). Would definitely be helpful to have bindings grouped to where they are used, like in-flight, concourse, datapad menu, and so on. And more description of what certain key bindings actually does.

I didn't go very much into it yet but right now navigating menus are kind of a mess for me. There is also no way to tell what controls are critical, it tells you when they are unmapped but there's no differentiation between normal and critical unmapped inputs. It even feels a bit buggy, like I can't buy and choose to install equipment immediately because I can't choose Yes on the prompt in any way, even using the mouse or keyboard.

Cool of them to include keybinds for people with a lot of buttons.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Played dice poker far too long last night.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mailer posted:

The mouse control being not-Freelancer (read: bad) wasn't a big surprise. I expected at least Elite's handling of it, since that worked really well and wasn't complicated.
The mouse controls are literally exactly like Elite (with the exception of yaw and roll being swapped obviously, since Elite does the rolling thing).

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Klyith posted:

RG1 mechanics: the enemies & NPCs that "live" in the sector did not scale with gear. Mission enemies were tied to mission level, and the missions scaled to your gear level with a fairly wide +/-. So picking a extreme difficulty mission was supposed to be very hard whether you had level 1 gear or level 6 gear. The enemies were harder and the pay was higher, standard video game stuff. (At the high level they ran out of headroom and the endgame was a cakewalk.)

The giant "gotcha" of RG1 was that the gear score was a max, not an average. Buying a level 4 shield with level 2 guns was a bad move. RGO is almost certainly re-using some of these systems because aside from the gotcha it wasn't terrible.

So if you buy a new piece of gear and suddenly it feels like every enemy in the whole game is tougher, you're just running into bad luck. Even with the sector enemies that don't scale there's a range. If you hear "bounty detected" that's gonna be a harder one.

The interaction of those two systems is occasionally chaotic. You could be doing an easy mission but get jumped by high-level sector enemies and get hosed up. You could do a difficult mission and randomly get helped by cops or traders. Already in RGO I've done a blockade-run mission that was super-easy because the police helped out.

The other thing to know is that when the sector difficulty says "extreme" it might mean mid-game enemies that you can take if you're careful and good, or it might mean end-game enemies. Extreme covers everything 2 or more levels higher than you.

Is it possible that this is why putting gauss cannons on my starting ship made all bounties two shot me and never take hull damage?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, I am probably the only one experiencing this issue based on a GIS, but has anyone else had severe lag using their XBox One controller on PC via Bluetooth? It literally crawls to I would guess segments of framerates as whenever I fire things stall out, and usually it's in addition to rumble. However, swapping out to a wired 360 controller everything runs smooth as gravy. This is annoying, because I hate wires.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Ninurta posted:

So, I am probably the only one experiencing this issue based on a GIS, but has anyone else had severe lag using their XBox One controller on PC via Bluetooth? It literally crawls to I would guess segments of framerates as whenever I fire things stall out, and usually it's in addition to rumble. However, swapping out to a wired 360 controller everything runs smooth as gravy. This is annoying, because I hate wires.

I assume this never happens with other controller-capable games? I want to say it sounds like a weird glitch with your bluetooth dongle. First thing I'd try to do is to just stick it onto the motherboard's USB 2.0 outlet or a powered hub, in case interference is causing trouble.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

haldolium posted:

does this game really have no tutorial on how poo poo works or did I miss something entirely? I launch into space and then there is... nothing?

Yeah, my biggest complaint thus far, at minimum this game needed a serious manual if it was going the “old school space sim” route, it’s been WAY too much learn as you go for me. Getting randomly swarmed and ganked by about 50 missiles is also getting old, game needs much better tools for escaping fights because everybody outruns you at the start. Also be VERY careful with power, when I went up to the Sonora I bought a third gun and game literally left me with a permanent power drain where it never recharged so none of my guns worked, and there was no way to dismount the gun I just bought except by buying a different one, which was really obnoxious when I had burned most of my money fixing my ship from wandering into a fight and suddenly having no guns or afterburners available.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Interesting bug with the pool minigame: no option to beat your opponent to death with the cue! Hope this is fixed soon!

Yeah, kinda BS the game always lets the opponent break and then practically run the table before you get a single shot in my experience. The lack of instruction with the controls didn’t help, I didn’t even know how to aim the drat cue ball until I accidentally held the right mouse button and was suddenly enlightened.

While I do sound down here, I should hasten to note there’s a good game here, it just has a few things annoying me. Trying to guess about what I’m doing is a serious fault though, honestly.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

RangerKarl posted:

I assume this never happens with other controller-capable games? I want to say it sounds like a weird glitch with your bluetooth dongle. First thing I'd try to do is to just stick it onto the motherboard's USB 2.0 outlet or a powered hub, in case interference is causing trouble.

Yeah, it works perfectly with a USB cable plugged in. However I only have short cables so I dislike hunching over just to play a game, at any rate I can use my old 360 controller so I will adjust.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, my biggest complaint thus far, at minimum this game needed a serious manual if it was going the “old school space sim” route, it’s been WAY too much learn as you go for me. Getting randomly swarmed and ganked by about 50 missiles is also getting old, game needs much better tools for escaping fights because everybody outruns you at the start. Also be VERY careful with power, when I went up to the Sonora I bought a third gun and game literally left me with a permanent power drain where it never recharged so none of my guns worked, and there was no way to dismount the gun I just bought except by buying a different one, which was really obnoxious when I had burned most of my money fixing my ship from wandering into a fight and suddenly having no guns or afterburners available.

Yeah, kinda BS the game always lets the opponent break and then practically run the table before you get a single shot in my experience. The lack of instruction with the controls didn’t help, I didn’t even know how to aim the drat cue ball until I accidentally held the right mouse button and was suddenly enlightened.

While I do sound down here, I should hasten to note there’s a good game here, it just has a few things annoying me. Trying to guess about what I’m doing is a serious fault though, honestly.

I had a, hopefully, game glitch for 8-ball where the NPC had two goes in a row for setting the table and shooting, then shooting again without landing a ball in the cup. If you are playing on PC hold right click on your mouse to move around so you aren't cramped over and unable to make a shot. There is a slight reward in Nagadoches and in other areas later on in the game.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
"Now entering an automatic landing zone"

the radio stations all rock till they start repeating

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Ninurta posted:

Yeah, it works perfectly with a USB cable plugged in. However I only have short cables so I dislike hunching over just to play a game, at any rate I can use my old 360 controller so I will adjust.

Sorry, ambiguous pronoun use. I meant to stick *the dongle* into another port, but if you feel like you can adjust there's no harm.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I tried to start it yesterday but the gamepad controls make me retch, I played too many space games with mouse and keyboard over 20+ years. Also why is there no 3d sector map? I'd have never thought I'd miss something from the X series so much.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

FrickenMoron posted:

I tried to start it yesterday but the gamepad controls make me retch, I played too many space games with mouse and keyboard over 20+ years. Also why is there no 3d sector map? I'd have never thought I'd miss something from the X series so much.

Different strokes! I've been mousekeyboarding a long time as well, but I haven't suffered from the controls. Lack of a 3D map is mostly because everything except ships is more or less on the same plane anyway. Movement isn't restricted - you can fly up or down as much as you want, but there's nothing there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Pro: there is a mission where you get to shoot at the cops

Con: you have to shoot them with an unguided non-lethal weapon, while they get to shoot you with real guns

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it possible that this is why putting gauss cannons on my starting ship made all bounties two shot me and never take hull damage?

If they are bounty targets that you got from talking to a bartender, then no. Those are NPCs from the sector -- so they don't look at your gear, only the sector's difficulty. Fun fact: bounty targets are already out there when you talk to the bartender, you really are just getting some coordinates.

OTOH the bounty NPCs have better ships than normal for the location. So if you happened to be in a higher-difficulty sector when you got the targets that could be why you got insta-gibbed.

(assuming it works the same as RG1 of course)

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

In case anyone has the same problem:
The game doesn't let you select a gamepad in settings if it doesn't detect that one is connected.
This caused problems for me when trying to use my Steam Link for remote play, as seemingly controllers connected through Steam Link are not detected by applications launched outside of Steam.

To make it work:
Add the Epic Launcher as a custom game to Steam
Launch Epic Launcher from Steam Big Picture mode using Steam Link.
Launch RGO from there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Austin Walker of Waypoint was down on the game, saying that it runs out of variety and only has 5 ships and lacks the sort of goal progression that many classic space games have because you just sort of get the "build" you want pretty quickly and then you're basically stuck just doing story missions which are not the high point. Any truth to that? The 5 ships thing is a real red flag for me.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Hakkesshu posted:

Austin Walker of Waypoint was down on the game, saying that it runs out of variety and only has 5 ships and lacks the sort of goal progression that many classic space games have because you just sort of get the "build" you want pretty quickly and then you're basically stuck just doing story missions which are not the high point. Any truth to that? The 5 ships thing is a real red flag for me.

Unless more ships unlock later, there are infact only 5 ships, and each ship is it's own "role", so you have a heavy and light fighter, a heavy and light hauler, and the starting ship.

I think I read somewhere that more ships are planned to be added as DLC later on (possibly free?).

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Last I checked it was 9 ships, but there certainly are fewer than Rebel Galaxy. Still, each one has a unique cockpit and play style so it's not as big of a deal for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RangerKarl posted:

Last I checked it was 9 ships, but there certainly are fewer than Rebel Galaxy. Still, each one has a unique cockpit and play style so it's not as big of a deal for me.

It's five hulls technically. Each of the four non-starting ships have two variants.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Well I played it till my eyes are bleeding and have to go to bed but game is fun, broke out Ol' Bessie, my Force Feedback 2 joystick. Force feedback is not implemented but it's still a drat good joystick

This game kicks rear end but we should absolutely change the title of the thread.

This is not Freelancer at all. You will experience incredible frustration and disappointment if you are expecting the somewhat simpler combat, nanobots, shield batteries, gimballed mouse aimed guns, and cheap and varied weapon systems and ships of that one. There will be no mid-mission heals or shield batteries, expect to beg for your life over comms if things go bad (which is more successful now than the old days, lemme tell you). This is 100% a Privateer 1 sequel. There is no Freelancer to be found here - this is the game I wanted to see made for 20 years after beating Privateer as a young lad on a beige tower and CRT with an old two button joystick.

Loving the drive-by reload/fuel depot, that's a great QOL addition. That and mid-mission checkpoints. Oh God, those feel so good.

I liked Freelancer, but it is absolutely wrong to say this is a successor to it. Mr. Freelancer is not at home, they do not run this place and they do not have an understanding with those who do. There are fewer ships and weapons but the differences between each are drastic, and require serious financial investment to make each excel.

Grinded out money in Old School mode for the first couple ships, changing from Platypus to the... uh... Whatever the first light fighter is was like taking leg irons off and amazing. I still love you platypus but I don't love you as much as I love four guns at once. I liked the... is it the Sonoran? The first medium ship? It has a really user friendly color scheme, take that if you're struggling with the radar or shot placement. The light fighter kicks rear end and I have a way easier time firing dumbfires with it.

Was surprised after the first couple intro missions when Richter became a summonable wingman who, amazingly enough was actually kinda decent? And helped me survive bounty missions? I'm going full lawman, the pirates just seem like a buncha dicks. Space Texas will be safe after I kill all crime. And maybe follow the plot. And make shitloads of money. Can only see 5 ships total including the platypus for now. I presume the next tier of ships is somewhere out in the system.

So the game owns especially if you are an old bastard like me and have vivid memories of the days when all the entire keyboard and all of the F keys were reserved for game critical controls, and a stick was mandatory. However, if you are expecting Freelancer 2: Freelancer harder, well I hate to break it to you drat kids, but you'd better get yourselves a stick or controller and learn how to fly already, goldurnit dagnabit! :bahgawd:

Remember, back on the stick means fly up!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You unlock the four last ships later in the story.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any way to manually trigger an Tracer reload cycle?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I bought an abandoned space station and the concourse is just Juno sitting on a lawn chair lol

Anything you can use the station for or is it just decoration?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

canada jezus posted:

There are ways to upgrade it and it unlocks some exclusive stuff eventually.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

canada jezus posted:

Juno sitting on a lawn chair in an abandoned space station sounds just about perfect.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

MadDogMike posted:

Also be VERY careful with power, when I went up to the Sonora I bought a third gun and game literally left me with a permanent power drain where it never recharged so none of my guns worked, and there was no way to dismount the gun I just bought except by buying a different one, which was really obnoxious when I had burned most of my money fixing my ship from wandering into a fight and suddenly having no guns or afterburners available.
You can dismount guns without buying a new one: select the hardpoint you want to dismount, then click on the leftmost option labeled "[gun] installed". So for example if I wanted to dismount a Tracer in hardpoint A I'd select hardpoint A, click on "Tracer installed" and then click on remove.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - Literally Privateer 3

change the thread title this freelancer poo poo is for all the twenty year olds

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Radar question: what does ability to "lock" mean -- is it just for missiles, or is it for L2 tracking as well? Also, what is IIRM or whatever it's called that's on the higher tier radars?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
ITTS gives you a little dot in your HUD that shows you where to shoot to hit your target at its current speed and heading. As guns have different projectile speeds this may mean one dot per gun, which is why some of the radars mention "Multi-ITTS".

fezball fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 14, 2019

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Anyone messed with the autocannon yet? Reading the description makes me imagine Literally An AC/20 but Space, so I'm a little afraid to shatter my own preconceptions.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

RangerKarl posted:

Anyone messed with the autocannon yet? Reading the description makes me imagine Literally An AC/20 but Space, so I'm a little afraid to shatter my own preconceptions.

The sound is sooooo goood. I need to find the button for manual reload tho, after every fight I just gotta dump a clip in space to return to full for the next fight.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Even with afterburners, it feels like trying to run away from an engagement in the Platypus is a trap. I've had way more success staying and fighting since the first tier of bandit ship is fairly easy to take down (especially with some help from missiles).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zigmidge posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - Literally Privateer 3

change the thread title this freelancer poo poo is for all the twenty year olds

As a 31 year old, rude.

My first "space" game was Descent and then I played Freespace 1 & 2 and then Freelancer for way too many hours... so this game is a bit of a shock to the system. :shobon:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fine, what is the fundamental difference between Privateer and Freelancer? You old fuckers :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Nemo2342 posted:

Even with afterburners, it feels like trying to run away from an engagement in the Platypus is a trap. I've had way more success staying and fighting since the first tier of bandit ship is fairly easy to take down (especially with some help from missiles).

You can run but you need to dump full power to the engines AND use the afterburner, and even then it'll take a little while to get out of range.