Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

To their credit, Zotac minis were wayyy cheaper than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Nicely put together, man.

I've built inside a Node202 before and it's a really tricky build. You've got your cables a lot neater than mine were!

I also managed to snap a pin off the USB3 connector on a brand-new Z270 motherboard when I last build in a Node202. One of the corner pins had bent as far as to be unusable, so I got a pair of small pliers and took the corner pin completely out, rather than leaving it in there bent where it might create a short circuit. I think the size of some chassis makes it necessary to be more careful when you're building compared to a full ATX system.

I don't remember which corner it was (and I have sold the board), but the front-panel USB actually worked afterwards! From what I remember, it either worked at reduced speed with the pin missing or only one socket out of the 2 worked. I only sold that motherboard a few weeks ago but I photographed the missing pin and described what had happened fairly thoroughly in my ad when. It ended up selling for a reduced price compared to similar boards. Judging by the feedback the guy left me, he seemed pretty happy with it, so it worked out alright in the end.

They're good looking cases but require you to up your concentration and lower your haste when putting them together.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Rick Bergman returns to AMD

Ostensibly to see the death of GCN through to the end.

AMD Readies Navi 23 High-End ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU For Radeon RX Flagship, Alleges Rumor – Arrives Next Year With Ray Tracing Support

An absolute crock of flaming poo poo, take with a loving mountain of salt.

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002

eames posted:

:same:

I had to reseat and shuffle all my 4 RAM sticks with the cooler installed and it was a 3 min job. I wish Noctua made something like the Morpheus 2 but with a universal bracket or their free mounting hardware for future products.
Does anybody know how the Morpheus 2 would fare on something a 2080ti, if it’s even compatible? I imagine there would be very little gain to be had because of those stock vaporchamber coolers.

This guy fit one on his 2080ti: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9jv5l9/raijintek_morpheus_ii_fits_on_rtx_2080_ti_use_amd/

I installed the Morpheus II on a 2080 Super and its been great. Aligned with the AMD Curacao screw offsets easily.
If you want to control the fans via software like Afterburner, you need a special part from Arctic: https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/nv-14-pin-adapter.html Combine this with a GPU fan adapter and you'll be golden. Some AIB 2xxx series cards have normal GPU style fan headers, but the reference boards have this new 14 pin connector.

Snapped some pics:

ActionExpress fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 11, 2019

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

The only way i see this happening is if its meant to be put in the datacenter and some cards come out for general users. It would also have to be a navi revision instead of what is currently released.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is Nvidia’s data centre ban on usage of their GPUs stiol in effect? I guess AMD can always focus on cloud gaming if it blows up.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Killing Nvidia is going to be a lot harder to do than killing Intel, because unlike Intel, Nvidia hasn't been sitting on their Skylake asses for almost half a decade.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

Killing Nvidia is going to be a lot harder to do than killing Intel, because unlike Intel, Nvidia hasn't been sitting on their Skylake asses for almost half a decade.

Killing Intel/Nvidia isn’t the goal, but just make them have competitive pricing and have to actually fight for their market share. Once Nvidia goes to 7nm even with their current architecture its going to blow AMD away, but if prices still inflate to match performance then what’s even the point

Nvidia has been on 14/16nm for a while now though, (since sky lake actually), so there is a parallel between the two

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Some Navi 5700(X) partner models are in: the (presumably expensive) Asus RX 5700 XT Strix OC and the (basic) Sapphire Pulse models without the +
Shamelessly stolen from computerbase.de.
Asus Strix Bioses are Powerhog (standard) and you must be on Quaaludes to pay this much for a 5700; Pulse Bioses are Standard and Alternative

Noise at gaming load averaged

Power cons. at gaming load averaged

The Asus OC burns 50-60W for nothing, overclocking on anything AMD is dead and done, buy the basic not + Sapph Pulse 5700.
Steve at GN said that overclocking the memory even slightly can lead to hard system crashes randomly, don't touch anything in WattMan or similar software if you value your sanity.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 12, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you have an irrational aversion to the extremely easy OCing on modern Nvidia GPUs and intend to give away the GPU rather than reselling it, there may be an argument for the AIB 5700 cards.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
End result of my upgrade consideration was an Asus Phoenix 1660 for 205eur. The 750Ti was getting a bit slow.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
That's a sensible choice. Maybe the best option for 1080p as you don't pay for the near unusable tensor cores of the 2600 which is in a weird place. Might be the best value for money.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Should I buy an Nvidia GTX 2070 super reference card for 499 now through Nvidia's website or wait until the EVGA equivalents are back in stock?

I'm worried about temps more than fan noise.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Risky posted:

Should I buy an Nvidia GTX 2070 super reference card for 499 now through Nvidia's website or wait until the EVGA equivalents are back in stock?

I'm worried about temps more than fan noise.

When it comes to these GPUs it's important to consider that your temps are basically your performance and all of them will run up to around 80C and then start throttling - so the ones with nicer/quieter coolers that run up as loud as the coolers on a cheaper card are giving you more performance at that point - you get better clock speed per db of fan noise.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
That’s actually a good question and I’m in the same boat. The Nvidia cards look better built than the Evga ones, with it being all metal than a cheap looking plastic shroud. The reviews on the Nvidia 2070 Super show it running pretty quiet (34-38 dbw) ... And that’s with the fans running all the time.

Plus the whole thing with Nvidia binning their cards and keeping the best ones themselves has me hesitant in getting a AIB that costs more.

However. Unlike Risky I’m just looking for a quiet card for 1440p that doesn’t throttle rather than temps.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Bonobos posted:

That’s actually a good question and I’m in the same boat. The Nvidia cards look better built than the Evga ones, with it being all metal than a cheap looking plastic shroud. The reviews on the Nvidia 2070 Super show it running pretty quiet (34-38 dbw) ... And that’s with the fans running all the time.

Plus the whole thing with Nvidia binning their cards and keeping the best ones themselves has me hesitant in getting a AIB that costs more.

However. Unlike Risky I’m just looking for a quiet card for 1440p that doesn’t throttle rather than temps.

Yea, I'm torn between a Gigabyte windforce or an Nvidia which are both available now with the latter being 50 dollars cheaper.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Throttling is a result of high temps though.

If your case has good airflow a 2070 shouldn’t be very loud, or particularly hot unless you’re pushing for max clocks. If you’re worried about it, buy the biggest-sinked AIB you can find.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Bonobos posted:

The Nvidia cards look better built than the Evga ones

Despite not owning any 2000 series cards, im mad that EVGA made their cards look like goofy batarangs. Nvidia cleaned up their act, why do you gotta be the ugly one now?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
IMO the nVidia cards are boring and evga’s 2000-series cards look nicer than my 1080 SC2. Neither are elf babe on blower beautiful though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I personally don't have any affinity for flashy get ups. I'm the boring nerd who just wants function. The nvidia founder cards come the closest this generation but I didnt follow closely how well they cool compared to the other aib designers.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD or NVIDIA? Or generic demo of TSMC's interposer tech?

https://www.tsmc.com/english/newsEvents/blog_article_20190814.htm

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 15, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Mindblast posted:

I personally don't have any affinity for flashy get ups. I'm the boring nerd who just wants function. The nvidia founder cards come the closest this generation but I didnt follow closely how well they cool compared to the other aib designers.

They also require an ifixit tutorial, a well equipped toolset and a few hours of time just to change the thermal compound. That and the whole RAM overheating/artifacting issue are the main reasons why I personally wouldn't even consider a reference card.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Do the "S" founders cards support zero rpm fan speed at idle? don't think they do.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Do the "S" founders cards support zero rpm fan speed at idle? don't think they do.

Founders cards still don't have 0rpm out of the box, and still clamp the minimum fan speed to about 30% even if you set it lower via software. I think you can get around that by flashing a BIOS from a custom card but that's a pain :/

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Founder cards are still extremely difficult to open for changing things like thermal paste or putting on new thermal pads or heck just putting on your own heatsink. Removing the shroud still requires a heat gun.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gamersnexus reviewing the Founders cards is about as funny as GPU's get, as he's visibly pissed off about all the screws / glue / and how the power connector is mounted.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Demo or xilinx fpga

The cost of that interposer must be astronomical. The defect rates are going to be insane. Emib is genuinely better tech.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’ll throw in a wildcard and say Intel. They’ve used HBM in the past with AMD’s help and are the kings of monolithic.

1 monolithic CPU, 1 monolithic GPU, 8 HBM modules. (14nm+++++++ of course because their yield rates are so good)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've had an EVGA 1080ti SC2 for maybe a year now but I think the cooling isn't the greatest at times. I know I could always try to rip it open and re-paste it but I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having to do so. I bought it initially because the size fit in my SFF case, though I've since gotten a new one which can fit three fan cards. Assuming I can get $400-450ish for it, is there any upgrade path that's worth the money? I've got some dispensable income, but I can't see any 2080ti being worth the $700-800 it'd cost at this point after selling the current card.

Currently I run a 3440x1440 display so I'm inclined to think that a 2080 Super like the MSI Trio might be a modest 10-15% upgrade with much better cooling and better support moving forward. The new PowerColor Red Devil looks nice for the price and supposedly runs cool, but I'm pretty sure the 5700XT line is just downgrades across the board even compared to a 1080ti.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Anything for around $400 to $500 would be a side grade at best or a down grade at worst. The arctic Accelero III fits it and would likely drop temps fairly well compared to the stock cooler, what sff case are you using?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I had an M1 which was more restrictive, and just got an SM570 now which is a lot more accommodating due to being a little longer and sandwich style. Part of that was due to upgrading to a 3900x and an AIO cooler, which fit in the M1 but ends up extremely confined with little room for airflow. Again, not necessarily opposed to doing something to the card itself but my preference is more of an install and forget about it, or at most tweak a couple settings in software.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you haven't yet popped into Afterburner's curve editor, you should absolutely do that. You can effectively undervolt it that way, which can take the edge off the temps for minimal (or no) performance loss.

eames
May 9, 2009

DrDork posted:

If you haven't yet popped into Afterburner's curve editor, you should absolutely do that. You can effectively undervolt it that way, which can take the edge off the temps for minimal (or no) performance loss.

I thought so too until I stopped comparing average FPS and looked at 95th and 99th percentile...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
YMMV, but honestly I didn't notice any more hitchiness with it undervolted a bit than not. You can, of course, push things too far, but it's worth giving a shot and seeing where it takes you.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

triple sulk posted:

I've had an EVGA 1080ti SC2 for maybe a year now but I think the cooling isn't the greatest at times. I know I could always try to rip it open and re-paste it but I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having to do so. I bought it initially because the size fit in my SFF case, though I've since gotten a new one which can fit three fan cards. Assuming I can get $400-450ish for it, is there any upgrade path that's worth the money? I've got some dispensable income, but I can't see any 2080ti being worth the $700-800 it'd cost at this point after selling the current card.

Currently I run a 3440x1440 display so I'm inclined to think that a 2080 Super like the MSI Trio might be a modest 10-15% upgrade with much better cooling and better support moving forward. The new PowerColor Red Devil looks nice for the price and supposedly runs cool, but I'm pretty sure the 5700XT line is just downgrades across the board even compared to a 1080ti.

you really should spend the $20 on a screwdriver and paste as well as setting up a more aggressive manual fan curve. Its super not hard to repaste that gpu. Too much paste is not possible as long as its non conductive as most of them are. The cooler you can make it run, the more boost you get for free.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah grab some kryonaut off amazon and do it up. It’s not hard

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I had an M1 which was more restrictive, and just got an SM570 now which is a lot more accommodating due to being a little longer and sandwich style. Part of that was due to upgrading to a 3900x and an AIO cooler, which fit in the M1 but ends up extremely confined with little room for airflow. Again, not necessarily opposed to doing something to the card itself but my preference is more of an install and forget about it, or at most tweak a couple settings in software.

Gotcha, I really like my M1. The accellero iii works great in it with the bottom 120mm fans set to exhaust, between that and the noctua u9s it handles a 9900k and a 5700XT very well.

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Now that some non-blower 5700 (XT)s are coming out, are there any do's or don'ts in picking a particular brand? (keeping slot width in mind)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The sapphire pulse cooler is meant to be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
The Sapphire Pulse and PowerColor Red Devil are two best AIB bards so far, the MSI cards are warmer and louder then those and I’m going to assume Asus will charge a premium for the strix model like usual, even though it doesn’t perform any better.

MSRP for the pulse is $410 and the red devil is $440 or $450 for the special edition. Pulse is probably the better deal unless you really value low noise then the red devil is likely worth the extra $30.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-5700-xt-strix-oc/31.html