Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m now going through and looking at my abilities and combat arts and realizing I have so so many that weren’t even equipped cuz you can easily have like 15 abilities somehow

So I think eventually it’s not worth one of your 5 limited slots

physical classes get fairly competitive yeah but -3 weight is quite a bit

if someone is getting speed hosed it could let them double

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

I think this is the second time I've seen this posted, but, uh, it isn't true? Avoid absolutely uses your weight-modified speed. Stealing doesn't care about weight though, and I'm not sure about combat arts that scale with speed. (are there even any?)

Serenes list Lance jab (which Leonie, Cyril, and Shamir get at Lance A) and the Luin special.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

PantsBandit posted:

What's the best crit animation?

My vote is for the archer one where they do a slow little twirl and then go down on one knee.

Anything that involves horses jumping around, it looks so goofy.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I restarted on Hard with Golden Deer, and I'm trying to figure out who may main cast should be. I'm mostly staying within my class and not worrying about recruiting too many people (I assume most battles cap out around 10 or 11 units available?). I'm thinking:

Byleth: Swordmaster/whatever special unique class
Claude: Unique wyvern guy, mostly bows
Lorenz: Some Horsey Class
Hilda: Probably Wyvern Lord
Raphael: I'd like a Fortress Knight, but everyone seems to say he's better as a War Master
Lysithea: poo poo Wrecker Mage
Ignatz: Snipey Boi
Marianne: Heal Bot
Leonie: Not sure. Maybe Pegasus Knight? Maybe Fortress Knight if I make Raphael a War Master?

I feel like I should recruit one or two more people to round out the roster? Maybe another healer and someone to be a dancer?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
A throwable axe crit (maybe others too) with Hilda causes her to release an insanely guttural shout.

Delicate flower indeed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I restarted on Hard with Golden Deer, and I'm trying to figure out who may main cast should be. I'm mostly staying within my class and not worrying about recruiting too many people (I assume most battles cap out around 10 or 11 units available?). I'm thinking:

Raphael: I'd like a Fortress Knight, but everyone seems to say he's better as a War Master
Leonie: Not sure. Maybe Pegasus Knight? Maybe Fortress Knight if I make Raphael a War Master?

I feel like I should recruit one or two more people to round out the roster? Maybe another healer and someone to be a dancer?

Raph does fine as a Fortress Knight. He is better as a war master though because his hp is so high that the extra defense from FK isn't really that necessary, so it's better to have him with more MOV/Speed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The crit animation for wyvern rider/lord with axes is really cool, charging up for a spiraling descent with a good whack at the end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also, I fuckin' love gauntlets. Who's a good BE student to make the designated gauntlet person? I made Felix a Mortal Savant with gauntlets in my BL run and he was the destroyer of worlds.

Caspar 100%

War Master is all he's good at but it's also all he needs to be good at.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

My Leonie Pegasus Knight quads pretty much everything. She is a beast.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why does timeskip edelgard's paralogue ends so weirdly? Is it a reference or something?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I made a mistake choosing normal through my second playthrough.
Part of me really likes feeling proud like a god and stomping through poo poo like Saitama through a Kindergarten.
And laughing at bosses talking poo poo because they are weaker than me sustains me.
But this is the rare case (for me) of a game being too easy.
I completely underestimated how much NG+ stuff would help me trivialize things.
I can't even tell who my best units are because everybody is a murderblender. Which practically kills the point of Fire Emblem for me.
Even Bernadetta wrecks things despite hearing 'Bernie is no good' so often I'd swear she was campaigning for Joe Biden.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 14, 2019

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So is 11 pretty much the standard roster throughout the game? I feel like I need to recruit a few people, but I'm not super interested in that part of the game so I wanna focus on who I want.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

So is 11 pretty much the standard roster throughout the game? I feel like I need to recruit a few people, but I'm not super interested in that part of the game so I wanna focus on who I want.

Yeah. It hits 12 a few times but 11 is the standard limit for most chapters.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The largest deployment number is 12, plus three adjutants.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, and it'll occasionally bump up to 12. It's worth it to recruit one or two people you like because the cross-house supports are cool, + the unique timeskip dialogue; but the game definitely doesn't expect you to poach a whole bunch. (professors and knights are basically free and should always be recruited, imo)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

dmboogie posted:

(professors and knights are basically free and should always be recruited, imo)
Disagree, they sometimes show up as enemies, which lets you kill them

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Route differences It kinda sucks that (apparently) the GD and church run cover the same ground. I was gonna do BL, BE E, GD, BE C, but now I might just save the church run, school phase and all for the dlc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's your wish list for Lunatic mode?

For me, one big thing is that I want a reason to care about weapons, spells, abilities, and arts that have a bonus against certain types of units or weapons. Those are really helpful in the early game, but by the time I reached Part 2 on Hard mode, I rarely found things like Knightkneeler, Dark Spikes, or the <Weapon>-breaker abilities to be that helpful. For the most part, if Lysithea could one-round a mounted unit with Dark Spikes, she could also do it with a different spell. If a lance-user couldn't one-round a mounted unit with a regular attack, Knightkneeler rarely made up the difference. Similarly, I rarely ran into fliers that I could one-round with an archer but couldn't one-round with anyone else, and in the end my archers' main benefit was the combination of their mobility and range (since they were Claude and Leonie). Two exceptions to this: I found Seraphim to be consistently useful in taking out the last HP bar on a beast really quickly, and giving Felix a Rapier was great to let him take out armored units and let a mage do something else.

Maybe giving regular enemy units combat arts would help with this, too--if I had to keep my mounted units away from lancers to avoid getting Knightkneeler'd, for example, that'd be a twist.

Basically, I want to have to think harder about which unit engages which enemy. I want to think more about where I place my units than "mages can't tank physical damage so don't leave them in range to do so."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terper posted:

Disagree, they sometimes show up as enemies, which lets you kill them

All the professors are cool though

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Andrast posted:

All the professors are cool though

They are, which is why I want to see them at their best, when they stand against me and I cut them down

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

What's your wish list for Lunatic mode?

For me, one big thing is that I want a reason to care about weapons, spells, abilities, and arts that have a bonus against certain types of units or weapons. Those are really helpful in the early game, but by the time I reached Part 2 on Hard mode, I rarely found things like Knightkneeler, Dark Spikes, or the <Weapon>-breaker abilities to be that helpful. For the most part, if Lysithea could one-round a mounted unit with Dark Spikes, she could also do it with a different spell. If a lance-user couldn't one-round a mounted unit with a regular attack, Knightkneeler rarely made up the difference. Similarly, I rarely ran into fliers that I could one-round with an archer but couldn't one-round with anyone else, and in the end my archers' main benefit was the combination of their mobility and range (since they were Claude and Leonie). Two exceptions to this: I found Seraphim to be consistently useful in taking out the last HP bar on a beast really quickly, and giving Felix a Rapier was great to let him take out armored units and let a mage do something else.

Maybe giving regular enemy units combat arts would help with this, too--if I had to keep my mounted units away from lancers to avoid getting Knightkneeler'd, for example, that'd be a twist.

Basically, I want to have to think harder about which unit engages which enemy. I want to think more about where I place my units than "mages can't tank physical damage so don't leave them in range to do so."

Enemies just generally need to be smarter. You hit on a lot of points, but one example is units refusing to take the initiative on certain maps. I was playing last night and would fly up to enemies as Claude, kill them with Brave Bow and then fly out of their range again. Since none of my units ended in their attack range, the remaining enemies just stood there and did nothing.

I compare it to Total War, where if you bring an army into a fight with a ton of artillery then the enemy army will bum-rush you. They don't want to give you time to set up, unless it's equally beneficial to them.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 14, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Harrow posted:

Those are really helpful in the early game, but by the time I reached Part 2 on Hard mode, I rarely found things like Knightkneeler, Dark Spikes, or the <Weapon>-breaker abilities to be that helpful.

I barely used combat arts in either run through. The death knell for combat arts seems to be that once you start becoming able to fairly regularly double on enemies, that vastly outstrips the offensive power of all your combat arts since they only hit once. The only time I used arts was when I needed an extra bit of range (e.g. Curved Shot), frankly. Even when you can't double with even your lightest weapon, it's usually better to just have a different unit deal with that particular threat, or use a gambit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really like golden deer because Claude does what I would do and asks loads of questions. Everyone else just accepts whatever happens, but he doesn't.

It's refreshing I guess.

Also as golden deer I haven't had any fortress knight characters and I've absolutely not missed it at all. They don't feel like they have a place on Normal.

Totally agree on combat arts. At the start of the game there's points where they're useful - especially archer increased range ones - but being able to hit the enemy twice almost always wins out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I barely used combat arts in either run through. The death knell for combat arts seems to be that once you start becoming able to fairly regularly double on enemies, that vastly outstrips the offensive power of all your combat arts since they only hit once. The only time I used arts was when I needed an extra bit of range (e.g. Curved Shot), frankly. Even when you can't double with even your lightest weapon, it's usually better to just have a different unit deal with that particular threat, or use a gambit.

I used arts surprisingly often since like half of my units got speed screwed and couldn't double anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Enemies just generally need to be smarter. You hit on a lot of points, but one example is units refusing to take the initiative on certain maps. I was playing last last and would fly up to enemies as Claude, kill them with Brave Bow and then fly out of their range again. Since none of my units ended in their attack range, the remaining enemies just stood there and did nothing.

I compare it to Total War, where if you bring an army into a fight with a ton of artillery then the enemy army will bum-rush you. They don't want to give you time to set up, unless it's equally beneficial to them.

Yeah, that's a really good point. I'd love to see enemies that actually take the initiative a lot more often, like rushing you to overwhelm you with superior numbers. Being able to sort of predictably open each grouping of enemies as a separate encounter by moving into their attack range ends up taking a lot of the tension out of some of the more intimidating-looking maps (lookin' at you, Golden Deer final battle).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
And I just kinda wish enemies wouldn't suicide into me. I don't want the game to be harder or anything but it's a "feel" thing. Why run up and hit twice for 0 with a hit rate of 10 when the counter attack is for 50?!

It's mad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's a really good point. I'd love to see enemies that actually take the initiative a lot more often, like rushing you to overwhelm you with superior numbers. Being able to sort of predictably open each grouping of enemies as a separate encounter by moving into their attack range ends up taking a lot of the tension out of some of the more intimidating-looking maps (lookin' at you, Golden Deer final battle).

There are just way too many maps where is no pressure put on you so you can press forward with basically no risk to you only engaging a few enemy units at a time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

You would need to tone down their overall lethality in that case. The way enemies are balanced, having the map rush you down would make a lot of maps pretty much impossible since enemy offenses are so high and they will gleefully murder anyone who is unfortunate enough to trigger 2+ of them

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I like the way they did chapter 5 for units moving towards you. If you aggro one of the inner archers, they'll both start moving to you. Once a pack of units from the back passes another pack, they'll also activate and start rushing you. Sucks about the map design itself being pretty annoying since there's a ton of walking. The reinforcements were fun though, that map just needed one less swirl or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

You would need to tone down their overall lethality in that case. The way enemies are balanced, having the map rush you down would make a lot of maps pretty much impossible since enemy offenses are so high and they will gleefully murder anyone who is unfortunate enough to trigger 2+ of them

I don't mean the whole map per se, but maybe specific groups of enemies, or make it more common that two groups of enemies have "linked" aggro so you end up pulling a bigger group than you might have expected, that kind of thing.

Though if the move-and-attack-on-spawn reinforcements that are in the unreleased Maddening mode stay in for Lunatic, I guess that takes care of that. Though I really hate that kind of mechanic and it'd probably just turn into a "lol divine pulse I guess" moment every time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I feel like there's a real thin line in this game between the enemy being easily manipulable by being able to place your units just outside their attack range, and the game becoming impossible as every unit that does slip by one-shots everything. Just imagine what it would be like trying to break through a line of wizards with Bolting or something if they were smart about their placement.

Frankly that's also part of why many boss fights feel so underwhelming. The bosses never have much of a chance to shine, because they're just as one-shottable as everything else and even if they're not, they still typically die in one turn (usually by using gambits to avoid counterattacks). Because leaving a boss alive for a turn means something will die, so you just never let that happen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I feel like there's a real thin line in this game between the enemy being easily manipulable by being able to place your units just outside their attack range, and the game becoming impossible as every unit that does slip by one-shots everything. Just imagine what it would be like trying to break through a line of wizards with Bolting or something if they were smart about their placement.

Frankly that's also part of why many boss fights feel so underwhelming. The bosses never have much of a chance to shine, because they're just as one-shottable as everything else and even if they're not, they still typically die in one turn (usually by using gambits to avoid counterattacks). Because leaving a boss alive for a turn means something will die, so you just never let that happen.

Really, I don't mind Fire Emblem's approach to boss fights generally. When it's a situation of "I need to figure out how to take this boss down in one turn without getting my units killed on a counterattack or they'll definitely kill someone on enemy phase," it's a nice challenge. Unfortunately that sort of falls away in part 2 when you can pretty reliably one-round them, if not with Byleth than probably with your house leader or maybe Lysithea if you're Golden Deer or recruited her. I took down the final boss of the Golden Deer route in a single crit from Byleth and it was pretty anticlimactic.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The final boss was actually pretty cool because of needing to take down the Ten Elites before you could go after Nemesis. Yeah, the boss himself isn't much to talk about - just a big pile of beef that instant hell murders anything on a counterattack - but the rest of the stage was pretty unique and cool.

I guess the problem is that most bosses don't feel like badass strong units, they feel like big targets painted on the ground that instantly win you the stage if attacked. But they're not typically that much harder than anything else, in the sense that I have a unit (typically Byleth, Lysithea or Hubert) that one-shots them just as handily as anyone else. So instead of feeling strong, they feel like weak points.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Harrow posted:

Really, I don't mind Fire Emblem's approach to boss fights generally. When it's a situation of "I need to figure out how to take this boss down in one turn without getting my units killed on a counterattack or they'll definitely kill someone on enemy phase," it's a nice challenge. Unfortunately that sort of falls away in part 2 when you can pretty reliably one-round them, if not with Byleth than probably with your house leader or maybe Lysithea if you're Golden Deer or recruited her. I took down the final boss of the Golden Deer route in a single crit from Byleth and it was pretty anticlimactic.

Final boss of BL works around that sort of thing semi-nicely, I thought.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

Speaking of class stat bonuses, I read a thing a few days ago about the benefits of training your whole crew up to C in heavy armor. Weight -3 can make a meaningful difference in AS even for faster units, especially when doubling gets less consistent on the later maps. Whether that's actually worth it I don't really know, but it seems interesting.

Also, if you get your people to Armor C, you might as well certify them for Armor Knight (base defence 12 for level 10 is a +6 defences on most units) or Fortress Knight (base defence 17 for level 20 is still much higher than average).

Zore posted:

If you have zero functional weight from say having a bunch of strength and a light weapon/item it won't matter. But that's pretty niche and will only ever functionally apply to gauntlet users in practice.

Also sometimes hybrid magic users and swordies.

Also stupid high STR characters like Eldegard who had almost over 55 STR by the end of my playthrough. I still used the wieght-5 though as it meant she could use both brave weapons and shields.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The final boss was actually pretty cool because of needing to take down the Ten Elites before you could go after Nemesis. Yeah, the boss himself isn't much to talk about - just a big pile of beef that instant hell murders anything on a counterattack - but the rest of the stage was pretty unique and cool.

Yeah, that's definitely something I enjoyed. Having a built-in mechanism to prevent an easy Warp-skip was cool. And the music owned extremely hard.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I guess the problem is that most bosses don't feel like badass strong units, they feel like big targets painted on the ground that instantly win the stage if attacked. But they're not typically that much harder than anything else, in the sense that I have a unit (typically Byleth, Lysithea or Hubert) that one-shots them just as handily as anyone else. So instead of feeling strong, they feel like weak points.

Sometimes that makes sense, too--like if the commander is just some noble--but in a lot of cases it's definitely anticlimactic that bosses are just slightly stronger regular units with a +Def/heal tile under them. I'm not too sure what would be better unless maybe you gave them a multiple health bar and breakable armor mechanic like beasts, and then maybe toned down their lethality a bit to compensate for them likely being a threat for longer than a turn? The final bosses that are actually somewhat challenging (specifically, the Immaculate One) actually are huge beast units, so maybe applying some of that to even the human-sized bosses could work?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think if they want to make the game harder they'd need to ironically tone down enemy lethality since as everyone says you don't get overwhelmed as much as oh lucky hit and now your guy is dead. If enemies weren't as lethal outside of certain counter situations they could do a lot more with having them wear you down/stretch out your healing resources. I also don't really care for bosses that have to one rounded or someone will die, the only one where that felt like a puzzle was the last boss of El's route. Also NG+ just destroys the difficulty curve. I thought things were decent playing on hard my first time, but now with NG+ my units are gods. Granted I also got incredibly lucky stat roles, but just by virtue of outleveling everything they pack a ton of power.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

I just got to the part in the Blue Lions route where Rodrigue shows up after the timeskip and his dialogue in the monastery makes me want a Blazing Blade-style prequel to Three Houses set in the time he and Dimitri's dad were in the academy.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I'm not finding enemies lethals to be honest.

In fact, my first instinct is to say "I want more enemies to have anti-armour/knights/fliers weapons/abilities". Basically, except for archers you never had to worry a random swordman would use a rapier on your armour guy, or that a lance guy would use knightkneeler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Annette has surprisingly little to say about Gilbert so far

Most of their interaction is in their support post timeskip in BL.

It’s a good support imo.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 14, 2019