Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Larry Parrish posted:

Lmfao you spent money on hats in 2019

I sold old dota 2 hats to buy new dota 2 hats, no money has changed hands. I have a medical condition that required me to obtain those new hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
So this morokai poo poo is exactly like regular dota but more toxic, is what i'm seeing

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

So this morokai poo poo is exactly like regular dota but more toxic, is what i'm seeing

yeah i played it twice because the first time i thought it was stupid but maybe i was missing something, and the second time nope it's just stupid

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Zeus, like, isn't a hero until he gets his Agha and an active item, this offlane Zeus building Veil, Aether, KaYasha pained me. Maybe you get away with that poo poo if you're mid and overleved or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lovely Wizard posted:

I sold old dota 2 hats to buy new dota 2 hats, no money has changed hands. I have a medical condition that required me to obtain those new hats.

That might actually be worse

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

schmitty9800 posted:

Zeus, like, isn't a hero until he gets his Agha and an active item, this offlane Zeus building Veil, Aether, KaYasha pained me. Maybe you get away with that poo poo if you're mid and overleved or something.

Kaya Yasha is always bad on Zeus, I have like 60 games on the hero and I I only rarely get aghs - It's not really worth having until you hit the level 20 cooldown reduction talent. Soul Ring Veil Aether is the clown on enemies build for mid, you max Q and blast the enemy team from a million miles away. Enemies cant blink and have to run through your whole team to get to you. Offlane Zeus sounds awful though

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I heard some folks are recommending W first on Zeus? Mana efficiency seems much better for hero zapping even if the CD is a bit longer. Keeps from pushing with bounces, too.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ILL Machina posted:

I heard some folks are recommending W first on Zeus? Mana efficiency seems much better even if the CD is a bit longer.

W doesn't really help you in the laning phase since you would only want to use it to harass, not last hit, but using Q is good for both. But, since your goal is to stay far away from the enemies, you can usually go max Q first and then W second, ignoring E until later. If you're going to get a kill, the difference is going to be on the back over a bunch a Q casts, since the time between W's is long enough that by the time you're ready for a second one, the engagement will be over because the enemy is either dead anyways or they're out of range. Lastly, the Q is better for teamfighting, which is really what Zeus wants to be doing, not focusing on single-target damage, hence the purchase of Aether and Veil over Aghs. You're dropping 6/8 Q's on multiple heroes in the time you could get maybe 2 W's off.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Larry Parrish posted:

That might actually be worse

The medical condition is a monster I call Gamblor, and it's time to escape from his neon claws.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah well I have Alpine Gamvlor so

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Kaya Yasha is always bad on Zeus, I have like 60 games on the hero and I I only rarely get aghs - It's not really worth having until you hit the level 20 cooldown reduction talent. Soul Ring Veil Aether is the clown on enemies build for mid, you max Q and blast the enemy team from a million miles away. Enemies cant blink and have to run through your whole team to get to you. Offlane Zeus sounds awful though

I've seen a mildly successful 3-4 Zeus but they almost always rush Agha because it beefs up his global utility. (assuming of course that your have beef and control from the rest of your lineup, which we did not)

Just a massively frustrating game, they did an aggro tri that me and my supp did OK vs. while Zeus/CM did nothing top lane, our mid Death Prophet lost her tower at like 10 mins, all typical DotA stuff. I looked and the Zeus was like 71 wins and 180 games total played...

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

W doesn't really help you in the laning phase since you would only want to use it to harass, not last hit, but using Q is good for both. But, since your goal is to stay far away from the enemies, you can usually go max Q first and then W second, ignoring E until later. If you're going to get a kill, the difference is going to be on the back over a bunch a Q casts, since the time between W's is long enough that by the time you're ready for a second one, the engagement will be over because the enemy is either dead anyways or they're out of range. Lastly, the Q is better for teamfighting, which is really what Zeus wants to be doing, not focusing on single-target damage, hence the purchase of Aether and Veil over Aghs. You're dropping 6/8 Q's on multiple heroes in the time you could get maybe 2 W's off.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. For the first five or so levels he's not team fighting and I think being able to bully out your opposing mid or go through his regen more efficiently can help you win certain matchups more than spamming Q for ranged creeps and constantly pushing. And, yeah, in this case I radically propose Q last.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
the changes to courier behavior dont really seem to work at all

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Had the most clowncar game of dodo last night. Trilane Shadow Shaman, Sniper and ES (me) vs Magnus and Pangoleer. The top lane had my boy timbersaw vs. a lifestealer and bane. They didn't know how to handle him and couldn't rotate to deal with the trilane; we won the trilane and timbersaw was pushing t3 at 10 minutes. Game ended in 21:30 with a score of 22-6.

I love ranked roles for everyone and the democratization of position picking. I also love reporting people who lock p5 NP and don't buy courier.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is queuing as the hard carry and picking WK just to go jungle at level 3 considered 'Did Not Play Role' because it sure feels like it should be

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is queuing as the hard carry and picking WK just to go jungle at level 3 considered 'Did Not Play Role' because it sure feels like it should be

I’d report unless it was a completely unwinnable lane and jungling was somehow the best option

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It was against an Ench and Silencer, which is hard but uh he had the last pick

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

It was against an Ench and Silencer, which is hard but uh he had the last pick

with decent support that’s hard but laneable with a bunch of extra regen until ench gets 6 when he should in fact just jungle imo. Like if you had a Skywrath trading or ogre chasing silencer around you’d get some farm and levels

But jungle at level 1 is just them tilting, being mad and throwing

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a way to Export/Import user settings from 1 Steam/DOTA account to another?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Safe lane carry Druid going off to get ganked while trying to jungle (badly), team yells at me, the support, for losing lane

war never changes

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Safe lane carry Druid going off to get ganked while trying to jungle (badly), team yells at me, the support, for losing lane

war never changes

Have you considered that you did things that lost the lane?

For example, let me present to you the 5 pos pudge; a staple of 2k games for years. He plays pudge all the time so he can sorta hook, and hooks the first bounty rune, which is nice, but only works because the other team isn't playing aggressively. This is the end of his contribution to the lane. He sits in trees, out of vision, but in XP range, hook ready... waiting.... waiting... waiting for the perfect hook and then off it goes, grabbing... an omniknight... who heals and walks away because the pudge didn't hook him into the blocked spot. And that's it. He pulls the lane once (after the carry tells him to gently caress off), misses a few more hooks, dies a few times, and maybe fucks off to the offlane or mid where he gets a kill (or doesn't).

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Speaking of losing lanes, had a game as CM supporting PA in safe lane vs a Dragon Knight and Leshrac support. What was I supposed to do here? Because what I ended up doing was having Leshrac glued to my side killing me non-stop for the first 8 minutes.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

Speaking of losing lanes, had a game as CM supporting PA in safe lane vs a Dragon Knight and Leshrac support. What was I supposed to do here? Because what I ended up doing was having Leshrac glued to my side killing me non-stop for the first 8 minutes.

push the wave to get 2 before they do and try to kill the lesh with double nukes, get a ton of regen to make space in lane while you can, rotate to other lanes and make space around the map when the lane becomes really impossible and hopefully the PA understands that it's Jungle Time

if you're dying a bunch but it's making space for the PA to get farm and solo xp in lane that's also pretty fine

imo

e on second thought if you kill the Lesh hell just come back at full and you’ll be outa mana so never mind on that

e2 if you go aggro and kill him at 2. But really DK is real weak at early levels and Lesh is fragile so just get vision, a lot of regen and throw your poo poo at Lesh over and over

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 14, 2019

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

marxismftw posted:

Have you considered that you did things that lost the lane?

For example, let me present to you the 5 pos pudge; a staple of 2k games for years. He plays pudge all the time so he can sorta hook, and hooks the first bounty rune, which is nice, but only works because the other team isn't playing aggressively. This is the end of his contribution to the lane. He sits in trees, out of vision, but in XP range, hook ready... waiting.... waiting... waiting for the perfect hook and then off it goes, grabbing... an omniknight... who heals and walks away because the pudge didn't hook him into the blocked spot. And that's it. He pulls the lane once (after the carry tells him to gently caress off), misses a few more hooks, dies a few times, and maybe fucks off to the offlane or mid where he gets a kill (or doesn't).

wow very insightful

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

He's not wrong, there's a lot of things supports can do to gently caress up safe lane and you gave no other details other than blaming your carry. Aside from the fact you weren't asking for advice, as a general rule, if you're good enough (like 2k better than everyone else) you could force the win despite the team's incompetence.

Did you provide sufficient harass while not disrupting wave equilibrium or giving out free trips to the fountain? Did you respond to ganks without abandoning your carry for too long? Did you stack and/or pull when it would help maintain equilibrium? Did you ward and deward effectively? Did you maintain a PMA for those first crucial minutes, avoid flaming, and ignore/mute flamers? Did you capitalize on power spikes and force the enemy to react to you instead of letting then set the pace? Did you watch the map and call missing for other lanes and contest runes?

I'm bad and tend to maybe do two or three of those things well and then when I try to do a fourth I gently caress something else up. Sometimes the lane is just hard and you have to jungle early with some protection. Sometimes people are just shitters and blame the support anyway without looking to their own errors.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

ILL Machina posted:

He's not wrong, there's a lot of things supports can do to gently caress up safe lane and you gave no other details other than blaming your carry. Aside from the fact you weren't asking for advice, as a general rule, if you're good enough (like 2k better than everyone else) you could force the win despite the team's incompetence.

Did you provide sufficient harass while not disrupting wave equilibrium or giving out free trips to the fountain? Did you respond to ganks without abandoning your carry for too long? Did you stack and/or pull when it would help maintain equilibrium? Did you ward and deward effectively? Did you maintain a PMA for those first crucial minutes, avoid flaming, and ignore/mute flamers? Did you capitalize on power spikes and force the enemy to react to you instead of letting then set the pace? Did you watch the map and call missing for other lanes and contest runes?

I'm bad and tend to maybe do two or three of those things well and then when I try to do a fourth I gently caress something else up. Sometimes the lane is just hard and you have to jungle early with some protection. Sometimes people are just shitters and blame the support anyway without looking to their own errors.

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/4961202913

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 14, 2019

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

seem,s like your bad

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wangsbig posted:

seem,s like your bad

I am

But I didn't lose it for my team all by my lonesome

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; eh gently caress it

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
The git gud boys are always ready to tell you to "git gud"

I wonder, if you go in to the amateur soccer thread and tell them about losing a game because your goalkeeper poo poo his pants and left the match, do they also tell you "you could have won the match, you loser bitch"

or do they joke say, lol, sucks man, this game can be wacky

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
"It's always your fault when you lose, you're the common factor" etc isn't 100% true but the essence of the point, which is that there's not usually much point in looking at how your teammates made mistakes and lost you a game, is. Sometimes it's worth looking to see what mistakes they made because you can learn from other people's mistakes, but that's not the point here.

What is the point though is let's look at the picks. I'm assuming you went Lesh. Lesh isn't an awful support or anything, but the first thing you need to know is that in pub games it really, really extra heavy matters that you pick a support that can lane very well. Lesh's spells are not very useful for harassing (because they push lane), so you need to rely on his decent attack range and move speed to be able to harass. Were you making effective use of autoattack harass?

Learn the rules of creep aggro as well as you can:

Only right clicks and the start of an autoattack draws aggro, spells/items don't.

aggro range is 500, the same as a ranged creep's attack range. Creeps need to have vision of you when you right click to aggro onto you.

Aggro has a 2.3 second duration, but creeps don't aggro onto you until they finish their current attack animation.

Aggro has a 3 second cooldown from when you right click the enemy.

This last point is EXTREMELY important. You can click from outside of the 500 range and it starts the aggro timer, meaning you can right click from a distance and then hit the enemy hero a couple of times without drawing aggro.

This is also important because if the other guy IS drawing aggro, then he's taking a lot of needless damage; the first creep waves do something like 60 DPS with their autoattacks, which is heavily above what ANY hero can put out at the start of the game. Abusing creep aggro to force the enemy out of lane is absolutely vital for supports and mids, and to a lesser degree, offlaners.

Generally Warlock is a really good support pick right now, because shadow word is an insanely strong spell for laning (preferentially use it to heal, since using it on an enemy hero reduces the effectiveness of it due to magic resist) in addition to having a fairly long attack range (600) and decent damage. Ancient Apparition has similarly powerful harass, albiet with weaker damage until he gets his orb leveled a bit. Both of them also have highly impactful teamfight ults and scale fairly well with gold, but don't need it.

Not sure what bracket you're in which effects things, but the general versatile safety picks for support I use are Warlock, AA, Dazzle, Sky and Venge. All of them have very powerful laning abilities and can scale (which is great in pubs since you might end up with extra gold, since carries tend not to farm too efficiently).

Sab669 posted:

e; eh gently caress it

He wasn't asking for feedback.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 14, 2019

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

leoric has a sick build

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
is lich bad now? :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thom and the Heads posted:

I can't answer your question but I played him for the first time in years the other day and I was pretty unhappy to find out that Lich isn't gonna have yo' momma mana

Also Ice Armor lasts for like no time at all, now :(

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Smythe posted:

leoric has a sick build

Haha shadowblade into moon shard :getin:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Thom and the Heads posted:

He needs something like a soul ring and other mana items nowadays. His channeled stun is nice and so is the new frost armor.

Losing the ministun on Chain Frost still hurts. :(

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

khysanth posted:

He needs something like a soul ring and other mana items nowadays. His channeled stun is nice and so is the new frost armor.

Losing the ministun on Chain Frost still hurts. :(

lich is goat and if u aren't sipping on that cold one regularly you're doing it wrong

e: wrong quote whatever

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Support is the hardest position to play well because 90% of safelane carries, by their nature, aren't very good at the beginning of the game and lack the toolkit to win a lane by themselves, which is why you sometimes put as many as two additional heroes with them. As a support, it's your job to win the lane for your carry, but the problem is exactly what was mentioned above, where the support usually will just sit in the trees and "save" the carry when he gets to low health, or the support will say "hey I'll get all the denies you get the last hits" when that's also a total waste of time and the carry should be doing both anyways. This also pairs up very poorly with the fact that even 2k shitlords know to pick tanky, aggressive offlaners who will never let the enemy get farm. As a safelaner, there's only so much you can do aside from getting all the last hits, but if you get bullied out of lane you're out of gameplay options. You basically have to rely on your support to help you battle the enemy offlaners, so if they don't understand that the lane is pretty much lost before it starts. That's partly why all the most successful heroes are the one who contribute to fighting in the lane, both carry and support

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah. To add to that, note some of the best carries: Juggernaut (spins people to death), Naga Siren (her illusions are insanely good for contesting farm and trading), Ursa/Slark (can be very deadly to trade hits from early on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've always loved Ogre Magi, long before he was good/popular and now while watching games this morning I just learned Multicast effects items since I last played -- HOLY poo poo that's amazing.

What items do you start with and who is a good lane mate for him? Because Ogre is my loving jam and I'm just going to do nothing but play him until he gets nerfed, now. I used to just start with a bunch of Mangos and a Shield and try to bully as much as I can.