Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

fahrenheit is loving dumb. 0* being the freezing point is v nice because I want to look at a thermometer, see 0 or below and realize poo poo might be frozen outside. what kind of idiot thinks "hmm yes let me remember the number 32 that's a nice number that I want to think about for the rest of my life"? oh yeah, people who love fahrenheit

who gives a poo poo if water is frozen? 0f indicates actual probable danger in going outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it is pretty easy to tell if there is ice outside by looking out the window, and keeping up to date with your local [weather] won't exist anymore thread for news of horrific snowstorms in your area

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Fahrenheit is the superior system. Smaller increments give you a more lush tableau of temperature understandings without involving unseemly decimal places.

69 degrees is achieved with regularity in most places on the Fahrenheit scale, which is nice

Celcius is like a flat soda or a limp penis. You'll drink it if its all that is available but youd rather have something that is going to really fill your throat.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just a friendly reminder the hurricane season probably wont produce anything cool for another two weeks

e: unless you live in japan then you're already dead

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Airport food isn't great, but you'd think they could just get some for the passengers if they're parked right there.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zq99TF0BnM

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i miss winter

give me back winter

gently caress you

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
imagine the hell

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

just a friendly reminder the hurricane season probably wont produce anything cool for another two weeks

e: unless you live in japan then you're already dead

I live in Japan and am not dead yet. I think. The relative humidity in my office routinely exceeds 80%, though, so sometimes I want to die.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

soy posted:

who gives a poo poo if water is frozen? 0f indicates actual probable danger in going outside.

What is ice on the road

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Grundulum posted:

I live in Japan and am not dead yet. I think. The relative humidity in my office routinely exceeds 80%, though, so sometimes I want to die.

How abnormal is the weather compared to previous years? Any good links to what's been happening weather wise there?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

How abnormal is the weather compared to previous years? Any good links to what's been happening weather wise there?

This past winter was unusually warm in Tokyo—I think we dipped below freezing at night on only two occasions. This summer has had higher heat indexes than I can recall (I saw a 47*C one day), but lower temperatures. The last truly bananas cicada season I can remember was 2013, so if cicadas are on 7-year cycles then summer 2020 should be :zombie:.

Typhoon season is just beginning, and when the other poster said “Japan has been hit by two/three typhoons” what they meant was “the scattered outlying islands, that most Japanese people barely think about, have been sideswiped by typhoons”. For tropical weather info I typically check out
https://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/

And if you enjoy earthquakes you can go to either the JMA or the USGS
https://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
The weather was nice today

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

What is ice on the road

Dangerous but common below 40f (well above freezing), and the extra granularity gives you some idea how slush it will be, and you can also look at the last few days daily fluctuations and precip to determine if there might be a layer of powder on top of ice to look out for.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
fahrenheit is a bigger number so you can be more excited when number go up

checkmate celsius

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Minrad posted:

fahrenheit is a bigger number so you can be more excited when number go up

checkmate celsius

then we should all switch to kelvin

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Condiv posted:

then we should all switch to kelvin

:wrong:

70f to 0f is much bigger than 294k to 255k

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kelvin pissing on celcius is my fav sticker on my storm chasing truck

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SKULL.GIF posted:

:wrong:

70f to 0f is much bigger than 294k to 255k

0 is so tiny compared to 255

almost not worth thinking about at all

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Normal temperature range for Celsius is -17 to 38 degrees, which is 0F to 100F. As you can see Celsius has a range of 55 units while Fahrenheit has a range of 100 units. It is therefore far easier and more satisfying to describe number go up using Fahrenheit. Thus, we must conclude that Fahrenheit is the superior unit of measurement.

I can't believe I never realize this before: Americans love Fahrenheit because Americans have an ingrained love of number.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

celcius was forced on the majority of the world through colonial conquest, to use it is reactionary

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

The fewer degrees to describe the weather the better. In an ideal world we only would have 'cold, okay, hot'. Celsius comes closest to this model.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the goal should be to advance the temperature to high enough that what scale ur using is irrelevant

like wow that thing over there is a million degrees hotter than this thing, which is twenty million degrees hot

wow what scale u using there bud

gently caress u its a million degrees

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

How about a logarithmic scale, like Richter but for temperature. That could come in handy in the not so distant future.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

really queer Christmas posted:

I can't believe I never realize this before: Americans love Fahrenheit because Americans have an ingrained love of number.

Climate Number UP 2020

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

when will temperature scales move past ultraviolet into plaid for unreasonably hot temperatures

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm eager for plaid

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Minrad posted:

when will temperature scales move past ultraviolet into plaid for unreasonably hot temperatures
What part of 115f is reasonable?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ayin posted:

It's gonna seem reasonable when it hits 125.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ayin posted:

Phoenix August high average is 104 (1981-2010) so relatively speaking this isn't mindbending stuff like the Arctic or France broiling.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why did arizonas doomed idiot cities start booming in the first place? what industry is there that attracts people requiring pumpin so much water into the desert?
all i know is that elderly people who hate the ocean move there

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Cheap land and air conditioning.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Arizona shouldn't have people. except maybe people who live underground like those folks in the middle of australia.

Instead it should just be an entire state of solar panels.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

free native home nation full of solar panels

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's sort of ironic because the first settlers found the remains of ancient native canals and cities, but they saw no irony in setting up their own irrigation-based civilization right on the ruins of an old one. lots of that desert land is really fertile when you irrigate it (also, lots of it isn't desert at all by the koppen climate classification - here's a population density map for comparison), and the salt river which passes through the phoenix metro area used to be enough for a modest farming valley

what's interesting is that phoenix+tucson were saved from their own profligacy by the federal Central Arizona Project, which moves Colorado River water about 3,000 feet uphill. if it weren't for that supply i don't think the growth could be kept up, but water flows toward money

what will happen to arizona if/when the colorado river has a megadrought and they can't get supplies for full decades is left as an exercise for the reader

edit: to their credit arizona is putting a third of their CAP water into their aquifers, which is a great way to store water long-term

edit again: the reason farmers wanted to live in godawful nowhere was to feed the Army and people at Vulture Mine, the biggest gold mine in Arizona, so gold may have been the original reason for people to show up in maricopa county, arizona

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Aug 15, 2019

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Arizona shouldn't have people. except maybe people who live underground like those folks in the middle of australia.

Instead it should just be an entire state of solar panels.

Flagstaff and Prescott are not bad climate wise. The entire state is not like Phoenix or Yuma

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Real hurthling! posted:

why did arizonas doomed idiot cities start booming in the first place? what industry is there that attracts people requiring pumpin so much water into the desert?
all i know is that elderly people who hate the ocean move there
With irrigation, it's decent land for cotton, citrus, and ranching.

Besides the lethal heatwaves, there's basically no natural disasters or weather issues (hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, floods except in very defined areas are very rare) and the humidity is low which makes it a good location for computer stuff as well.

The old people and all that other stuff need houses, roads, stores, etc. which attracts a lot of other people to support that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Spergin Morlock posted:

Flagstaff and Prescott are not bad climate wise. The entire state is not like Phoenix or Yuma

sorry for having a bad sense of yuma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1162520294327648257?s=21