Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
can anyone who has used a chainsaw more than myself (zero times) explain to me how i didn't just watch a snuff film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mactheknife posted:

can anyone who has used a chainsaw more than myself (zero times) explain to me how i didn't just watch a snuff film
200% luck factor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mactheknife posted:

Looks like it caught on a different part of the ceiling after kicking back and through some combination of luck and safety features the chain was no longer being driven by the engine at that point so it stopped a fraction of an inch short of his forehead.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mactheknife posted:

The guard in front of his hand is a chain brake. When it kicks back your knuckles engage the guard and its tops the chain. That plus he is wildly lucky.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My dads friend was killed by an older chainsaw, before chain breaks were a thing. Cutting firewood on the 4th of July and it kicked back and got him right in the throat.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay, real question. Chain brake fails, what is the likelihood of "chain skips off skull, big gash in forehead" vs "crack head open like a watermelon"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

He would have been in a bad, bad, bad way but he wouldn't have Dawn of the Dead'd himself.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I mean if i got a chainsaw in my head I wouldn't stop there I'd just keep revving

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

wolrah posted:

:allbuttons:

At least he was seemingly smart enough to realize that he had used up all of his luck in that moment and needed to stop right there.

immediately afterward: "Honey? Cancel that trip to Vegas, would ya?"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'i have to make some updates to that Saw script I'm writing'

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Would it really saw into him that fast? I mean, bone is harder than wood isn't it? Nasty injury definitely but don't you have to go in at least one inch before you hit brain?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The skull isn't an inch thick but it would take strong, sustained pressure to make a chainsaw go through it. Unintentional contact on an unbraced head would definitely skip off.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The chainsaw would kick off his head just like it did the joist or whatever. It would continually ping-pong back and forth until it ran out of gas.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I didn’t enjoy that at all, but some serious osha there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had the displeasure of walking by the alarm/fire system guys as they were flushing our fire suppression lines today, for whatever reason.

Oh god, the smell :vomarine:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

The Real Amethyst posted:

only those few times I did 1p-LSD.

So you actually did 25-i NBOME, which is pretty OSHA i guess.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mactheknife posted:

He rolled a 21 on his reflex save

E: googling the thickness of a human skull has led me to some disturbing research abstracts:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15003337/?i=6&from=/17458755/related

quote:

This paper presents an analysis of research on the biomechanics of head injury with an emphasis on the tolerance of the skull to lateral impacts. The anatomy of this region of the skull is briefly described from a biomechanical perspective. Human cadaver investigations using unembalmed and embalmed and intact and isolated specimens subjected to static and various types of dynamic loading (e.g., drop, impactor) are described. Fracture tolerances in the form of biomechanical variables such as peak force, peak acceleration, and head injury criteria are used in the presentation. Lateral impact data are compared, where possible, with other regions of the cranial vault (e.g., frontal and occipital bones) to provide a perspective on relative variations between different anatomic regions of the human skull. The importance of using appropriate instrumentation to derive injury metrics is underscored to guide future experiments.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 14, 2019

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

mactheknife posted:

I think he got lucky with his wrist placement, his wrist wouldn't bend back any further with the direction of force, thus because as he had a solid grip, it didn't reach his face.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

I had the displeasure of walking by the alarm/fire system guys as they were flushing our fire suppression lines today, for whatever reason.

In the US you do tamper and flow tests quarterly to check that the sensors on valves and flow switches work; then once a year you run the fire pump to make sure it meets flow specification. Each of these puts the stagnant water in the sprinkler lines down the drain that smells just wonderful. We also have a periodic visual inspection of the pipes, which lets you experience the odor and get some scenery.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

shame on an IGA posted:

E: googling the thickness of a human skull has led me to some disturbing research abstracts:

people think "donating your body to science" means they'll be carefully, gently dissected by respectful white-clad medical students who practice life-saving procedures with them and then have them gratefully laid to eternal rest afterwards but 9 times out of 10 what body donation ends up being for is this kind of poo poo you've described here

getting blown up in military testing or being strapped into a car that is then purposely crashed into various objects at 65 mph are probably the most common scientific uses of cadavers, at least in the US. it's all super fascinating and incredibly necessary but if you're at all squeamish about the idea of having your shattered bits hosed out of a smashed-up Mazda and stuffed into a waste bin afterward, donation probably isn't for you

you can read Mary Roach's fun pop-sci book "Stiff" for a good general going-over of the various things human corpses go through these days

source: i work in a funeral home

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

The Real Amethyst posted:

Earlier discussion about the Russian nuclear missile incident and project Pluto got me reading about the Nevada test range on wiki and hoooh boy 1950's US nuclear testing was something else.
Mushroom clouds visible from Last Vegas being marketed as a tourist attraction :catstare:

No warnings. Often the night sky would just light up.

And the fallout just being spread across Utah with the city of St George receiving the brunt of it. There was a noteable spike in cancer and tumors right up until the 90's.
:catstare: :wtc:

yes the nevada nuclear test site or "nuke valley" was only 60 miles north of Las Vegas and there are like 700 craters there from surface and underground detonations.

you can go there now and apparently radiation levels are safe but I sure as hell wouldn't

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

The skull isn't an inch thick but it would take strong, sustained pressure to make a chainsaw go through it. Unintentional contact on an unbraced head would definitely skip off.

Would leave you with a totally awesome scar tho.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cosmo sex tip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YK8cXKcF7w

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cosmo sex tip posted:

people think "donating your body to science" means they'll be carefully, gently dissected by respectful white-clad medical students who practice life-saving procedures with them and then have them gratefully laid to eternal rest afterwards but 9 times out of 10 what body donation ends up being for is this kind of poo poo you've described here

getting blown up in military testing or being strapped into a car that is then purposely crashed into various objects at 65 mph are probably the most common scientific uses of cadavers, at least in the US. it's all super fascinating and incredibly necessary but if you're at all squeamish about the idea of having your shattered bits hosed out of a smashed-up Mazda and stuffed into a waste bin afterward, donation probably isn't for you

you can read Mary Roach's fun pop-sci book "Stiff" for a good general going-over of the various things human corpses go through these days

yea it's probably a shock when, yea like you said most people imagine it 'I'd go to a med school to teach future doctors how to do surgery' but this is 100% what you sign up for with that. I kinda wish there was a way to specify 'no I'd like to be used for medical poo poo not to test the new Patriot Cannon or whatever the gently caress' but welp.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gresh posted:

yes the nevada nuclear test site or "nuke valley" was only 60 miles north of Las Vegas and there are like 700 craters there from surface and underground detonations.

you can go there now and apparently radiation levels are safe but I sure as hell wouldn't

yep they blew a whole lotta holes in the desert up there

relative location

(the roughly circular dry lake to the northeast of the test site is Area 51)

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

the National Atomic Testing Museum is dope. It's in Vegas on the north side of UNLV; pretty close to the strip.

https://nationalatomictestingmuseum.org/about/

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

tbh i hate the idea of taking up space in a graveyard or being put into an object for someone else to have to deal with that may not necessarily want to so hearing that donating my body to science means i'll probably be shot out of a cool railgun into a wall makes me much more excited to do so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Patware posted:

tbh i hate the idea of taking up space in a graveyard or being put into an object for someone else to have to deal with that may not necessarily want to so hearing that donating my body to science means i'll probably be shot out of a cool railgun into a wall makes me much more excited to do so

only the lucky ones get shot with space guns. more likely you get strapped to a chair and blown up with land mines

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-suing-body-donation-company-after-mothers-corpse-was-sold-to-military-for-blast-testing/

quote:

Stauffer learned from Reuters that his mother's body was used in an Army experiment measuring the damage caused by roadside bombs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Would it really saw into him that fast? I mean, bone is harder than wood isn't it? Nasty injury definitely but don't you have to go in at least one inch before you hit brain?

The world’s first chainsaw was made to cut bone and it was hand‐cranked.

This was the era before anæsthetic, so quick amputations were a mercy.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

only the lucky ones get shot with space guns. more likely you get strapped to a chair and blown up with land mines

still cooler than anything i'm doing with the meat right now

still lookin' at that chainsaw video though. you can see the part where the hand of God himself catches that loving thing

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brute Squad posted:

the National Atomic Testing Museum is dope. It's in Vegas on the north side of UNLV; pretty close to the strip.

I’m going to Vegas in two weeks, but with my kids, don’t think they need to see this nowadays. Lol. Looks interesting tho

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It's not really that great for younger kids. A lot of interesting information and models on nuclear testing, but unless you're a physics nerd it's not really worth it imo.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

That's not really that disturbing, I've worked on similar projects with bones from other regions. It's actually really tricky to do right, because "real" bone is nice and wet and in the middle of flesh, which are things lab conditions are not great at recreating. Embalmed or even just dry bone doesn't really behave the same way at all. On the other hand, if you just stick a chunk of fresh leg or whatever into your test machine, you don't actually learn anything about the bone, because you have all the flesh in the way. Finding a method to get just bone, but realistic bone, is pretty tricky.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-suing-body-donation-company-after-mothers-corpse-was-sold-to-military-for-blast-testing/

More likely end up like a growing number of people, with an initial inspection and then a toe tag that says "too obese to be useful, dispose of".

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

MRC48B posted:

It's not really that great for younger kids. A lot of interesting information and models on nuclear testing, but unless you're a physics nerd it's not really worth it imo.

Oh man, I think I finally have an excuse to go to Vegas with my parents on their annual pilgrimage to [checks notes] visit a decorative arts and crafts convention.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MRC48B posted:

Surprising as they could’ve made it bad rear end interactive with metal taste air and red buttons you get to push.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

I can't watch this gif without mentally superimposing yakity sax as background music.

https://youtu.be/ZnHmskwqCCQ

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Brute Squad posted:

The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History in Albuquerque is pretty cool too.

https://www.nuclearmuseum.org/

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hey, it isn’t as bad as raw sewage. And hell, raw sewage isn’t as bad as grease traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

way to bury the lede, cbs news

quote:

The civil suit, filed this week, revealed disturbing new details about a 2014 FBI raid at the facility. During the BRC raid, which was part of a multi-state investigation, the FBI found buckets of body parts and the bodies of different people sewn together at the facility, KTVK reports.

One FBI agent testified that he found a "cooler filled with male genitalia," "a bucket of heads, arms and legs," "infected heads" and a small woman's head sewn onto a large male torso "like Frankenstein" hanging up on the wall.