Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The game is good imo and worth it and on pc it will own cause the loading aint hot on ps4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
To be fair it is a little bare-bones as far as cast selection; it probably should have had at least the first DLC pack's worth of characters in. And the menu system does smack of someone getting to the point of getting everything working but only having a day or two to make it more user-friendly. I can't speak to online yet but everything I've read about how it works sounds weird too. At the same time they're way better about fixing stuff than Capcom has ever been about any game so far, so I can't hold it against them trying to do something that (at least in their view) would help sell as many copies up-front as possible.

In Training posted:

The most obvious tell is the free character season pass imo. That's just them admitting the roster isn't done yet.

Apparently not enough of a tell to their JP fans to make it free for them without having to set up a separate account for a different region. I'm kind of angry at them for that, you should be good to everyone, not just the audience that you think will turn away unless you do the cool and good thing.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 14, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Japanese console FG market is a non-starter across the board so it's probably the opposite, they knew so few people would buy it in Japan they needed the extra 2000 yen per copy

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

And then it sold like crazy in japan.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Definitely makes me miss the good old days when I could drop $250 on Samurai Shodown 5 and then another $250 eight months later on the (still not totally completed) version with extra characters and refined fighting system via Samurai Shodown V Special.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Like just LOL calling any fighting game any combination of incomplete/busted/rushed/small roster on launch in a post Street Fighter 5 world.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Like just LOL calling any fighting game any combination of incomplete/busted/rushed/small roster on launch in a post Street Fighter 5 world.

I mean, it can apply to more than one game? SFV and Samsho 7 have the same starting roster count, so that's comparable. The game is still a better game in and of itself, so a lot can be forgiven, but it could have started out stronger too if it wasn't trying to get into basically a giant ad slot. I dunno. I just wish the sumo with a rocket cannon/keg thing was still around, he ruled but he came from The Bad One so he's probably gone forever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snk, noted financially solvent developer of polished console games, has really gone downhill

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, it's not even that bad of a roster for a 1v1 fighter, 16 characters is fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HerniaFlange posted:

I mean, it can apply to more than one game? SFV and Samsho 7 have the same starting roster count, so that's comparable. The game is still a better game in and of itself, so a lot can be forgiven, but it could have started out stronger too if it wasn't trying to get into basically a giant ad slot. I dunno. I just wish the sumo with a rocket cannon/keg thing was still around, he ruled but he came from The Bad One so he's probably gone forever.

It can just, like SFV is a relatively recent game but it's poo poo the bed so badly to me in so many ways that I don't think anything since it so far has even come close. And this isn't like going from SSF4 to SF5 or from 98 to 99, Samurai Shodown rosters have never been particularly large with the exception of 6 and that game is a mess (a hilarious, fun mess, but a mess).

Real hurthling! posted:

Snk, noted financially solvent developer of polished console games, has really gone downhill

We were spoiled by KoF XIV dropping with 50 characters right off the bat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You had to pay the Fugly tax though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

HerniaFlange posted:

I mean, it can apply to more than one game? SFV and Samsho 7 have the same starting roster count, so that's comparable.

Capcom is two orders of magnitude bigger than SNK as a company.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm also just jelly bc I want to play it but the PC version is never going to come out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Capcom is two orders of magnitude bigger than SNK as a company.

SNK literally has like ~170 employees total so like not even.

In Training posted:

Yeah. :/ Honestly the models aren't even that bad, but the very simplistic lighting (even after the patch, which was a great improvement but still) combined with the awkwardly stiff animations whenever the camera's zoomed in and the total lack of movement/separation of stuff like hair/clothing/etc., like the graphics are "fine" but it's death by 1000 cuts with a bunch of smaller details to how the graphics are implemented that really hurt it.

In Training posted:

I'm also just jelly bc I want to play it but the PC version is never going to come out.

Some day. :(

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

In Training posted:

I pay that every day friend

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Real hurthling! posted:

They made a hard read and it paid off

:golfclap:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Haohmaru, not you too?!

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

dhamster posted:

Haohmaru, not you too?!

oh no he's using the little tornadoes to blow skirts up

I just feel bad now. I'm sorry.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

dont worry didnt snk nerf his grubby fist?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dhamster posted:

Haohmaru, not you too?!

Samurai Shodown the face of Evo sexual assault. :wtc:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

Samurai Shodown the face of Evo sexual assault. :wtc:

Cause, good for them, they bring up the Infiltration business and ask of that's what's sparking other folks to speak out

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

Cause, good for them, they bring up the Infiltration business and ask of that's what's sparking other folks to speak out

Honestly no joke I'm very glad IGN published something about this because it will hopefully get some more attention.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've had a Hitbox for two days, and ... a lot of it feels natural and stuff, but man... kind of want to buy a stick and see if I like that better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nobody likes stick the first time they try it and they post silly things online like "where can i get an octogate to fix it"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kids should literally be issued a Neo Geo stick in grade school.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
pad is the input device of the people

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
You should play on what you like best, but also hitbox is to stick as recumbent is to bicycle.

I don't know what pad is in this analogy. Maybe an e-scooter.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I thought the point of playing on stick was because that's what some people first learned how to play fight mans with in the medieval times?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

The people have a much less aggressive/fragile thumb than me. I switched to avoid blisters

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

I thought the point of playing on stick was because that's what some people first learned how to play fight mans with in the medieval times?

Then they'd all use bat top octogates

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neo Rasa posted:

Kids should literally be issued a Neo Geo stick in grade school.

Dias posted:

I think we can meet somewhere in the middle.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

I mean, it's not even that bad of a roster for a 1v1 fighter, 16 characters is fine.

they also aren't 16 of the same 1.5 characters

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have a couple of those for the PS2 and I quickly learned that it's like trying to use a circular gate with much less control. You need to hold the pad with your left hand in a really specific way or else you're going to hit a lot of unintended diagonals. I'm going to spend more time with it trying to get it to work though because it has my favorite buttons on a pad.

Also, I always thought there was a way to maybe make a version of an octogate that isn't bad, by basically changing the ratios. You still get the deep corners, but you also get the notches for the cardinal directions like most people want an octogate for. Here's my mockup with your responses already added to save time!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Learn to play on a QWERTY keyboard

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

:hfive:

I played in arcades all the time way before I ever had a console, but I never had a huge problem playing on a pad instead of vice versa.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pad for pro
stick for show

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

The people have a much less aggressive/fragile thumb than me. I switched to avoid blisters

Use the secret "controller under your t-shirt" technique.

Pomp posted:

they also aren't 16 of the same 1.5 characters

Yeah, I also give it a pass because they are pretty distinct in look and feel other than maybe Genjuro and Haohmaru.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Why did no one tell me there's a youtube channel where a guy goes through entire Tekken 7 movelists in his garage IRL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qJ07gmwUK0

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS TEKKEN 7 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, HEIHACHI. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME OFFSPRING BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE IRON FIST'S MOST DANGEROUS TOURNAMENT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY DOJO AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN DOJOS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Firstborn posted:

I've had a Hitbox for two days, and ... a lot of it feels natural and stuff, but man... kind of want to buy a stick and see if I like that better.

If you play on an arcade cabinet or want to borrow someone else’s controller then stick is very good. If you don’t care about that then just pick something and get good with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

HerniaFlange posted:

I have a couple of those for the PS2 and I quickly learned that it's like trying to use a circular gate with much less control. You need to hold the pad with your left hand in a really specific way or else you're going to hit a lot of unintended diagonals. I'm going to spend more time with it trying to get it to work though because it has my favorite buttons on a pad.

Also, I always thought there was a way to maybe make a version of an octogate that isn't bad, by basically changing the ratios. You still get the deep corners, but you also get the notches for the cardinal directions like most people want an octogate for. Here's my mockup with your responses already added to save time!

isnt this a gamecube controller