Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FE 3H is my first in the series and I love it. If you’re a gogogogo gamer you will not like it. I think the voice acting is really good and so far I’m actually interested in the story. The battles are good and the Harry Potter sim is supremely up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FE 3H retroactively makes Fates absolutely horrible and Awakening quite overrated.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

KingSlime posted:

Should I research what game path I want or should I just progress blindly

Gonna eat some chicken and pour myself some DRINK before I dive into my little anime friendship simulator

Just progress blindly. You get to meet the heads of each of the Houses and their classmates before you make a decision. Choose based on who you think is cooler.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

this man is a genius

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kirios posted:

FE 3H retroactively makes Fates absolutely horrible and Awakening quite overrated.

I never played the other two and I agree

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Three houses is the best game on Switch

I did like Conquest more on the ganeplay side though. Hopefully the free lunatic DLC fixes the difficulty.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve played every Fire Emblem since the GBA ones and I’d rank them as:

GBA games
Awakening
Three Houses
GameCube games
Everything else

I’m still enjoying Three Houses (deep into Part 2 now) but there’s basically no tactics involved. It used to be you had to think really hard about how you split your party to cross the map. You had to blow up a wall or lay a bridge. You had to park your knight at the choke point or risk getting totally destroyed. You had to rescue villages before brigands and pirates got there. You got objectives that said “stay alive for 10 turns” and it really felt like you were struggling to stay afloat. Ballistas and forts were things you would push hard to reach. Enemies were hugely diverse — there’d be a swordmaster you’d have to tip toe around because he was carrying a Killing Edge. Item shops (and secret shops) existed only on the map so you had to make an actual effort to get there. Enemies carried things so you’d work your strategy around stealing poo poo. Enemy thieves would always appear in maps with chest so you couldn’t just dally.

The only kind of strategizing I do now is ensure my fliers stay outside the range of archers. Slightly powerful opponents can be demolished with combat arts or forged weapons. I do like the new combat-specific mechanics. But then they also took out things like rescue, Pair Up and shove (mostly). They added way more abilities & combat arts but only allow you to use very very few.

I mean it’s Fire Emblem, I’m never gonna not enjoy it. But there really isn’t much strategy to the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I’ve played every Fire Emblem since the GBA ones and I’d rank them as:

GBA games
Awakening
Three Houses
GameCube games
Everything else

I’m still enjoying Three Houses (deep into Part 2 now) but there’s basically no tactics involved. It used to be you had to think really hard about how you split your party to cross the map. You had to blow up a wall or lay a bridge. You had to park your knight at the choke point or risk getting totally destroyed. You had to rescue villages before brigands and pirates got there. You got objectives that said “stay alive for 10 turns” and it really felt like you were struggling to stay afloat. Ballistas and forts were things you would push hard to reach. Enemies were hugely diverse — there’d be a swordmaster you’d have to tip toe around because he was carrying a Killing Edge. Item shops (and secret shops) existed only on the map so you had to make an actual effort to get there. Enemies carried things so you’d work your strategy around stealing poo poo. Enemy thieves would always appear in maps with chest so you couldn’t just dally.

The only kind of strategizing I do now is ensure my fliers stay outside the range of archers. Slightly powerful opponents can be demolished with combat arts or forged weapons. I do like the new combat-specific mechanics. But then they also took out things like rescue, Pair Up and shove (mostly). They added way more abilities & combat arts but only allow you to use very very few.

I mean it’s Fire Emblem, I’m never gonna not enjoy it. But there really isn’t much strategy to the game.

Three houses has way better map design and way more side objectives than Awakening though (at least in post time skip maps and paralogues). I do agree that it could be a lot better though, the biggest issue is that the game is just too easy even on hard.

Also removing Pair up was an excellent choice. Not having Warp or Rescue just depends on which units you have and everyone can learn basic combat assists like draw back or shove from the basic classes.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 15, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A major part of TTH's ease is how much excess stuff it gives you. I want to try a run sometime where I just don't do any school stuff beyond the lectures and paralogs and see how that pans out. I feel like if I didn't have the extra levels/stats/items it would probably be better balanced.

That and magic is kind of absurdly overpowered. I guess the limit is supposed to be how often you can use it but the odds of actually running out of magic before a stage ends are pretty slim.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you have a family member or a roommate who isn't doing the transfer, you can transfer your account to their Switch and then transfer over your account from theirs to the new one. I just did that and it went flawlessly.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Lucked out that I have a friend who is gonna buy a refreshed Switch soon. So I bought at Target, did my transfer in the comfort of my home, and now he’s gonna Venmo me $225 and go trade my old one in.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Three Houses doesn't seem as anime as it does soap opera to me, though I guess they share a lot of conventions

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The sexy teacher in three houses invites a guard over to her house to gently caress and he refuses to go in and do it because her house is too filthy.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Shammypants posted:

The sexy teacher in three houses invites a guard over to her house to gently caress and he refuses to go in and do it because her house is too filthy.

Are you saying Ross from Friends is also anime

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

I think this is a bug specific to the build; there are certain areas in DooM 3 where movement simply doesn't work at the proper speed. I noticed this a few hours in, around/just past the Alpha Labs; found a corridor where run speed was noticeably slower, with no real reason to explain it.

I'm getting the same issues in both Turok games and even Picross so i definitely think there's also a problem with my controller.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i have finished PictoQuest.

Pros:
*Puzzle design is actually really good, they tend to be towards the easier side of things because you have other things to worry about while solving them, but they all are recognizable, well-designed and essentially never frustrating, even when you get to the 20x20 puzzles.
*The game handles exactly like the Jupiter games, so it just feels right. You won't have any control issues coming into this from the S series, even with the extra buttons you need for the game.
*The graphic design is fun, if a bit simple. It looks like a cute little RPG, which is basically what it is, and the monsters are kinda fun and not totally predictable.
*What music I listened to is pretty good too, even though i basically never have volume on when I'm picrossing.

Cons:
*The actual gimmick of the game doesn't really add all that much to it. Watching the monsters really only amounts to pressing L or R occasionally during the few matches against multiple monsters, what few items there are are helpful but the hints aren't really necessary for the puzzles except when that attack bar is bearing down on you, and I never once struggled with losing enough hearts to matter until I got to the final boss, and even that was mostly due to sloppy play on my part.
*The writing is... rough. There are rare moments of funny but it's mostly incredibly bland and could definitely have used a once-over by a native english speaker to fix some gramatical/spelling errors. Also the story is pretty perfunctory, but that's not really why you're playing this now is it?
*it's fairly short, and reusing puzzles seems unnecessary. I took it all down in a few hours over a couple days, and there's no replay value aside from maybe going through it again down the road in a year or so.
*The economy is pretty useless. The game tosses items your way often, so much so that i never had to buy one, and was constantly selling them because i rarely used them and you can only hold 5. The only things worth buying are a pair of extra hearts that cost quite a lot of coins, but I had bought both of them by about the halfway point, and by the end I had enough to buy two more (which they don't sell, probably because it would totally trivialize the puzzling.)

Overall, if you are a picross fiend like me you'll probably get your $10 out of it if you're finished with the S series and the weird anime-Picross games, and/or you want to take a break from the almost infinite color puzzles of Pic-a-Pix. It's on sale right now for $8.50 which i would jump on right now so you can keep it for later, especially because the actual picross puzzles are good enough that DLC or a sequel would be quite welcome, so sending some money their way would encourage them to keep working. This feels very much like a proof-of-concept, and there are a lot of directions they could go to make it better.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(A 5 speed 3 stamina horse IS better than a 4/4 as well if you want to keep yourself in the base game like a dummy so your point continues to be wrong)

Ohhh dude 4 Strength 4 Stam Leather Belt?

e: Level 18?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shammypants posted:

Ya I am surprised at how much they get away with for a Nintendo game lol

DB Pooper
Mar 27, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If a girls house is messy then it is a bad idea to have sex with her

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Shammypants posted:

This is a George Costanza bit

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Ahhh yeah that sounds horrible haha. I want to play rpg chess and see a cool dramatic plot with sweet art assets, not play pretend that I personally am socializing with my little knights. I'm cool with story and do enjoy good characterization, social sim stuff though naaaaaaah. Support convos were always unfun or uninteresting to me and awakening's offspring stuff was even worse

I guess I'll see how I feel once I snag it this weekend. Maybe I'll like that stuff after all.

I'm curious to know what you think. We seem to be of a similar mind set. The favorable comparison I need is not with the 3ds games but rather with the two Blazing Sword games and the Radiant duo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WHOA
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1161865405570281472?s=19

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

impulsively bought this “three houses” noise like an idiot and it’s 11 something gb :argh:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the very good game known as Links: Breaths of A Zelda is like 4gb but I assume this download time is gonna be some cheesy FMV…maybe :thunk:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

io_burn posted:

FWIW the new Fire Emblem game is the first Switch game I genuinely regret buying. It takes roughly 50 minutes of dialog and anime before you even gain control of your character outside of a single ultra-brief tutorial battle. I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t played a Fire Emblem game since GBA and don’t know what’s going on but it’s probably the worst out of box experience I’ve had in a modern video game in quite some time.

ruh roh :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

impulsively bought this “three houses” noise like an idiot and it’s 11 something gb :argh:

this ain't 2003 buddy, console games can get up to 100GB

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I might have foolishly put some gold coins plus e-scard credits towards a jrpg but fingers crossed I might find 50 hours of messing around fun in it :negative:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this ain't 2003 buddy, console games can get up to 100GB

haha yehhhh

oof

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm curious to know what you think. We seem to be of a similar mind set. The favorable comparison I need is not with the 3ds games but rather with the two Blazing Sword games and the Radiant duo.

It's fine when compared to those games. The map design is fine but nothing really remarkable (paralogues and post time skip maps can be pretty good though). The biggest problem the game has is that it's far too easy, even on hard. There's free Lunatic DLC coming soon™ so I hope that fixes it. The characterization and supports are definitely the biggest strength the game has though and it's by far the best FE on that front.

It's automatically better than the Radiant duo because the slow animations don't make every map take two hours.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the last jrpgs I ever played were probably ff7 on psx because of the fancy fmv and then some golden axe game on the gameboy advanced

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Dr Cheeto posted:

This is a George Costanza bit

please don’t spoil the pro strategies

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Bulgakov posted:

the very good game known as Links: Breaths of A Zelda is like 4gb but I assume this download time is gonna be some cheesy FMV…maybe :thunk:

I think I have seen two very short FMVs in 12 hours of gameplay? The download size is most likely due to the insane amounts of voice acting in the game, which is very good!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

The social link stuff is good and I wish they were more detailed than just two models standing and talking at each other. There's so many of them I can see why that's not feasible, though.

i agree with what you're saying but i do wanna point out that in previous games, supports were just two portraits talking at each other. this is the first fe with models and camera work and full voice acting in those conversations lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

i agree with what you're saying but i do wanna point out that in previous games, supports were just two portraits talking at each other. this is the first fe with models and camera work and full voice acting in those conversations lol

It adds so much. I honestly couldn't follow the story that well in previous ones because reading everything got kind of boring but the voice acting adds so much and really makes me pay attention and get invested

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
friendly reminder to fe newbies: you can skip all of the school stuff if you want and the game will just automatically have students pursue their specialties. it's there if you want to engage but if you don't then do battles

i do agree that hard is too easy so far but I'm only on chapter 12

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

friendly reminder to fe newbies: you can skip all of the school stuff if you want and the game will just automatically have students pursue their specialties. it's there if you want to engage but if you don't then do battles

i do agree that hard is too easy so far but I'm only on chapter 12

The difficulty picks up a bit after the timeskip but never really gets where I want it to be aside from the last two maps (which were great). I really hope they actually put some effort into lunatic since they are taking their time with it.

Normal is so easy I wouldn't recommend it even for a total FE newbie unless they totally want to sleepwalk through the battles.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 15, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I got really bored with Awakening about halfway through. I got too into the anime eugenics to get the best kids and it burned me out. I've been playing Three Houses nonstop since I got it. The support conversations are great, I went with Black Eagles and do not regret it for a second. There's a lot of depth to these dumbass kids. Well, most of them, Hubert's just an actual ruthless rear end in a top hat and it's good they don't dull his edge.

Recruited Ingrid, Felix, Sylvain, and Raphael and the first three fit in quite nicely with the overall Black Eagles arc. Raphael's just there to have a good time and I appreciate the lad.

But yeah, I'll probably do a harder difficulty on NG+.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone have any thoughts on the Sega Ages Virtua Racing release? I played the hell out of the Genesis version back in the day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

The difficulty picks up a bit after the timeskip but never really gets where I want it to be aside from the last two maps (which were great). I really hope they actually put some effort into lunatic since they are taking their time with it.

Normal is so easy I wouldn't recommend it even for a total FE newbie unless they totally want to sleepwalk through the battles.

From data mining it seems like bosses move around, for one.

Im on normal and normal is where I'll stay

For hard games I play platformers and action games, I prefer my rpg games to be easy

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm sure I will want to due another pass through as a different house when I'm done with this, but I'm going to definitely wait until Lunatic to do so.