Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Commando: He better loving deliver some GOOD STAR CITIZEN GAMEPLAY mechanics by Citizencon 2022!

:ohdear:

edit: Taxxe

https://twitter.com/petplus3/status/1158986309165182976?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

High Admiral: $1000+

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Guy appears to be completely correct. All the purchased ships will be completely useless in the only portion of the game crobbler cares about releasing. So, should those pledges be going toward the single player game?

lol

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

All the purchased ships will be completely useless in the only portion of the game crobbler cares about releasing. So, should those pledges be going toward the single player game?

This is why I consider the Crobbler a crook and not just a vanilla failure. Nobody would fund his bad movie game, so he funded it with the promise of a product he didn't care about, and one far beyond his extraordinarily limited abilities. SQ42 was entirely possible, albeit inevitably bad. But nobody wants that, certainly not to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

In that sense he's worse than Elizabeth Holmes. At least she defrauded people over a very focused and specific lie.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Bad news team.

I don't know anything about game development. :(

Don't let this info depress you though, because I'm about to buy a pack of sweet $27k space ships that will make me a pro on the topic! :)

I'm really looking forward to your long and delusional screed on the subject of how SSOCS (or whatever made up term for mundane video game tech is the flavor of the week) will be coming in current year plus one and will allow for the game to finally come together with the launch of the secret dev build in current year plus two!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

My favourite thing about this is the backer saying he wishes he'd only pledged $110 instead of thousands, not that he wishes he never pledged in the first place.

Even when accepting the truth that he's been scammed, he still doesn't fully regret it :allears:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Citizen: Whale doesn't mean loving idiot

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hah, mods have flagged it as LOW EFFORT / TROLLING

All dissent must be dismissed!

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

"For the second time in a row, I bet the I'm gonna remind you this again"

"Again I don’t play Star Citizen like than nor am I worshipping them like you do Sony."

Reading some of these tweets really breaks my brain. Perhaps I'm too drunk or not drunk enough but spelling and grammar really loving helps when trying to convey one's thoughts.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1161806768546168832

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

I'm the $110 he'd still throw into the dumpster fire knowing full well it's a scam.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

It's disclosed in there and kind of interesting.
For the 18 month period ended 31 January 2018 they had 20 developers and 1 administration employee.
For the 9 month period ended 31 October 2018 they had 30 developers and 2 administration employees.

The 21 employees over 18 months to 31 Jan 2018 were paid £34m total. That's around £1.08m pa per employee!

The 32 employees over 9 months to 31 October 2018 were paid £1.2m total. That's around £50,000 pa per employee. Note, the director (S Murray) was paid £52,000 for the 9 months, so ~£69k pro-rata compared to the £50k average.

Seems like they probably paid out some long-term loyalty/bonus rewards to some employees during that 18 month period and things are "normal" in the following 9 months.

There's really no room for third party expenditure in the most recent 9 month period. If you compare those total salaries (now including ER NI and pension contributions) of £1.33m with total cost of sales of £1.72m that only leaves £390k for the entirety of all their non-salary costs during those 9 months.

Tax edit: Hello Games Ltd paid £6.8m corporation tax in those 9 months

Thanks. Yeah, I also saw that £34m for 20 employees and raised an eyebrow wondering what that was. So you think it is some kind of bonus for some employees? Wow, freaking big bonus if it is. Seems like Sean Murray early lies must have paid out after all.

You sure there is no way that some of that could have been used in paying temp devs or external hires / contracting companies staff passing as payroll somehow?

Here is at least one example of 3rd party HG seems to have worked with: https://www.gregbuchanan.co.uk/testimonials

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 15, 2019

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Mirificus posted:

High Admiral: $1000+

So that Kazan plays League of Legends. Jesus, almost makes me want to get back into the game (although he'd be on the NA server) to find him.

I cannot imagine how hilarious it would be to have Kazan on your side. gently caress, I can imagine him bashing out orders for everyone on the team, telling them that he works on OS level software and therefore everyone has to shut up and listen to him as we all die at a terrible baron call.

I guess he reports everyone on both sides at the end of the game for not being on his level. In fact, LoL is like a universe of Kazans where everyone thinks they're a genius and everyone else is trash. Makes sense why he'd play it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hey my dude, reflecting on who you are as a person should take place after someone invites you somewhere and you get way too drunk and start crossing some lines, not when you can't get enough people to watch you play a video game.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

BurtLington posted:

My favourite thing about this is the backer saying he wishes he'd only pledged $110 instead of thousands, not that he wishes he never pledged in the first place.

Even when accepting the truth that he's been scammed, he still doesn't fully regret it :allears:

Saving "some" face is a thing.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MedicineHut posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I also saw that £34m for 20 employees and raised an eyebrow wondering what that was. So you think it is some kind of bonus for some employees? Wow, freaking big bonus if it is. Seems like Sean Murray early lies must have paid out after all.

You sure there is no way that some of that could have been used in paying temp devs or external hires / contracting companies staff passing as payroll somehow?

Here is at least one example of 3rd party HG seems to have worked with: https://www.gregbuchanan.co.uk/testimonials

It's possible that it wasn't HG paying for anything, but it was Sony helping them out. NMS is one of a flagship Sony titles right now and even previously they were offering assistance with development (which HG denied, wanting only promo help). I find it likely that after the initial backlash HG were like: "Okay, hop on the board and help us, I guess," but that wouldn't show in any financials and you don't really need to put it into credits either (might show in there, though?). I imagine they got a team of devs and from how focused they are, I also guess that they got a competent project manager or two, likely with previous experience on Sony titles.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

colonelwest posted:

That’s kind of my impression as well. Again it seems like a lot of people wanted to believe that a low budget indie game was going to be a true AAA evolution of the space sim genre.

People are apparently keen on pinning really far out hopes on games. I thought it was quite clear what was coming when Travis did the one-hour gameplay video last September (Privateer HD remake), and later gameplay videos didn't really sell anything else.

But how about that Star Citizen? Now that's something else!

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

MedicineHut posted:

Salaries has to apply to employees and the averages shown. So they may have sub-contractors and they would be paid out of the £1.2m for 18 months to January 2018 and the £400k for 9 months to October 2018.

That said, since this current patch release is now in August 2019 and their last release "Visions" was ~November 2018, there's no financial information currently available that contains the ~9month period this "Beyond" patch was worked on.

Also in my haste edit before I said they paid £6.8m in corporation tax which was entirely incorrect.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

colonelwest posted:

That’s kind of my impression as well. Again it seems like a lot of people wanted to believe that a low budget indie game was going to be a true AAA evolution of the space sim genre.

ALL games are low budget indies compared to the true opus-magnum AAAA game that Chris Roberts is producing.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A junior dev even understands how things are not right.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

tooterfish posted:

No, paint an Idris.

Tell Star Citizens you have an Idris.

Watch the fireworks when they try to tell you "no, you only have a picture of an Idris" and their brains short out.

This, but with a Banu Merchantman instead.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

It's really hard to defend the time line when you put it up against any other achievement.

Went to school, went to college, got a job released first game. Something doesn't seam right with star citizen ...

You don't understand game development!!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't wait for humanity to build their very first polynomial quantum phlebetum superdrive XP840 just for some nerd in the back to yell out "Star Citizen developed it first!" before he's quickly disintegrated by the local robot overlords in the year 3131

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Can't wait for that Kazan to set this guy straight. Cmon, Kazza, the stage is yours.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Goddamn I love me some good ol' gatekeepin' :bahgawd:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

To be fair Karlhunglikeajr, or whatever, is the very same type of Commando, that has no problem with fresh college grads becoming development leads at CIG in under a year.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Peter.Quint posted:

Can't wait for that Kazan to set this guy straight. Cmon, Kazza, the stage is yours.

He’s too busy sitting on a veranda with a panoramic view of Redmond, California, thinking the big thoughts, as he sips fine brandy and smokes cigars with the CEO of Microsoft.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

colonelwest posted:

He’s too busy sitting on a veranda with a panoramic view of Redmond, California, thinking the big thoughts, as he sips fine brandy and smokes cigars with the CEO of Microsoft.

As he casually flicks his finger and launches the rockets from his Ballista which shoot down Air Force On... oops, wrong movie.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Tangent, but I love the possessive over Mobiglass. 'My Mobiglass'.

It's the same janky code as everyone elses, so it's not like you were singled out, brah. In fact, without a specific fitting (coming soon!) or skins (soming coon!), there's very little distinction between one ship and another.

And these guys believe that it's ambitious and complex, but the most compelling gameplay is an offline LARP by gaming guild.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

And still he doesn't get that you have to design the networking architecture for your mmo before all the things he mentions, which SC hadn't done yet.

And that's just the design, you also have to implement it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

And still he doesn't get that you have to design the networking architecture for your mmo before all the things he mentions, which SC hadn't done yet.

And that's just the design, you also have to implement it.

Remember when they’d send complete state objects over the wire, then proudly announced they’d developed _get and _set methods.

Good times.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the literal post history stalker resistance antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, uh, it is pretty weird that you're still posting stuff Cymelion is posting outside of SC subreddits. I'm not about to police anyone's posting but it rubs me the wrong way.